PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the pancakes on Jif lemon day!

Nifton
28th February 2006, 04:36 PM
Shrove betide you if you dare!

:p :hyper :p :hyper

PS can we have a list of how many you've eaten please? also mention any special achiements, IE quad stacked cheese and bacon stuffed pancakes would deffo deserve a special mention.

Bejesus i love pancakes!

Asayyeah
28th February 2006, 04:47 PM
Lol

7 pancakes ( 1 with hot chocolate, 3 apricot marmelade and 3 with strawberry ) for this afternoon. And roughly the same number for tonight and my Kai session :hyper

eLhabib
28th February 2006, 05:17 PM
4 banana-chocolate pancakes so far, and one or 2 with ham and cheese coming up :D

Hellfire_WZ
28th February 2006, 05:20 PM
Sitting here at University of London Observatory on a night shift. No pancakes here... :frown:

Lion
28th February 2006, 05:33 PM
can someone please explain for those of us who have no idea what you are talking about?

stin
28th February 2006, 06:09 PM
Yes for pancakes tonight as preferably hot with butter and jam, yummy!

Lion, are you joking right?

stevie:D

Sausehuhn
28th February 2006, 06:27 PM
Lion, I've also absolutely no clue what's going on here! :dizzy

tell us, please!

username
28th February 2006, 06:42 PM
over here we have something callled pan-cake day. it is when many people have alot of pan-cakes for some reason i cant think of!

i like mine with sugar and lemon juice jif stuff. but i forgot it was pancake day and had none so far!

Sausehuhn
28th February 2006, 06:55 PM
I think we need something similar here in Germany. Eating something delicious without reason sounds good to me :dizzy

lunar
28th February 2006, 07:40 PM
the reason for it is that pancake day co-incides with the beginning of the Christian festival of Lent, and you aren`t supposed to eat milk and eggs during lent. Pancake day is to use them all up. I wasn`t aware it was a euro-wide custom though, until Arnaud`s post. Of course the original reason doesn`t work in Normandy, or Brittany for that matter, where every day is pancake day, afaict. Or do all the creperie owners go on holiday at this time ? ;)

I haven`t had any yet - but I did attend the pancake races in the lane outside our house - a very English moment, but I wonder if this also happens elsewhere.

Sausehuhn
28th February 2006, 07:51 PM
aaaaaah, yeees. Yes. I understand. We've of course Lent here as well (but I don't stand to it's rules ^^).
But as far as I know there's no special day where you eat pancakes here, I think we just do eat everthing that has to be eaten ;)

lunar
28th February 2006, 09:19 PM
Well almost all Brits also take the good bit and discard the religious observance. Feast is more fun than fast, of course ;)

Lance
28th February 2006, 09:23 PM
every day is pancake day for me, and any meal at any time of day is a potential pancake feast. i always make them extra thick and anything from 4 to 6 inches [10 to 15 cm] across. and yet i still weigh 125 pounds/56.8 kilos or less. there is something screwy about my metabolism, i guess, since i am very inactive physically.

favourite toppings:
real maple syrup
or
strawberries and chocolate sauce.
or
hell of a lot of real butter
or
none

infoxicated
28th February 2006, 09:47 PM
Actually, doesn't the Jif Lemon part need explaining too?

It's a lemon juice product that tastes great on pancakes - I know, I had it with four of them tonight, along with honey. For years Jif has advertised their lemon juice with the slogan "don't forget the pancakes on jif lemon day."

:)

Rapier Racer
28th February 2006, 10:03 PM
Jif, now I've got an image of you pouring kitchen cleaning cream on your pancakes :banzai

Lion
28th February 2006, 10:28 PM
I take it that this: http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/lemonjif.jpg is not what you put on pancakes :P
that is what lemon jif means to people in my country, lemon juice on the other hand is usually squeezed from a piece of lemon directly onto pancakes here, even in cafe's etc
we do not have pancake day here, though some christian factions do go in for that whole lent thing, it's not usually as a fast, but more about giving up something they like for the 40 days.
a couple years ago one of my friends gave up alcohol for the duration for example.

username
28th February 2006, 11:03 PM
jif comes in a small lemon shape bottle and has a very strong lemon sour flavor

Nifton
1st March 2006, 08:20 AM
Did any1 get the Shrove bedtide you joke, i know it was bad but... COME ON!

:pirate

Last night there was a terrible genecide commited, 100's of pancakes where ruthlessly simmered to a crisp on two brand new non-stick teflon pans, sure batter was spilt, but we came out victorious, I myself have 22 'cake scalps under my belt,
I think the best one i had was bacon and maple syrup double stacked. The only bad thing is when you've got your own place then its you that has to wash up, not yer mam :(

Lance
1st March 2006, 04:50 PM
in the U.S., the IHOP [International House Of Pancakes] franchise stores gave away pancake breakfasts for free yesterday. they were limited to 4 pancakes per person, though.

Nifton
1st March 2006, 04:57 PM
!!!! Never! Never in all my years! All we got was MaccyDs doin all day pancake breakfasts at normal price.

Did you get any Pancakes yourself? I'd have been there with my big box of disguises all day :)

edit by Lance: redundant quote removed. please read the guidelines

Lance
1st March 2006, 08:41 PM
no, i was too sick to go anywhere. no transport, either. and anyway, i prefer to cook my own pancakes, even though i don't like cooking.

SMThomas
4th March 2006, 08:01 PM
Oh yes! I nearly forgot to place info on what I had on Pancake day!

I had: -

1 x Cheese and Bacon
1 x Peanut Butter and Nutella
1 x Golden Syrup and (ok, Treacle and) Ice Cream
1 x Lemon and Sugar

and to go with the pancake made from leftover batter on the next day...

1 x Chocolate and Mashed Banana with Ice Cream

All those Pancakes I ate on that special day made me full as pigs! :@D

Omni Requiem
8th March 2006, 01:16 AM
Ah man, I hate pancakes now, I was on pancake duty at work for all of service. I had to make about 50-odd, if my memory serves me correctly.