PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Roll Practise

Adnan
24th February 2006, 09:59 AM
Best track to practise on please.

I can't do these as often as I'd like to (infact almost never) so any advice or tips would be appreciated...

Cheers.

lunar
24th February 2006, 11:53 AM
Vohl Square has the most potential BRs, but Porto Kora and Odessa Keys are also very good for BR training. :)

eLhabib
24th February 2006, 11:53 AM
Vohl Square (classic2) - 5 barrel rolls possible (per lap)
Porto Kora (classic2) - 4 possible (one requires turbo to get enough air)
Odessa Keys (classic2) - 4 possible
Khara Descent (delta) - 3 possible
Chenghou Project (alpha) - 3 possible

Of course, there are 1 or 2 barrel rolls possible on almost every other track, but these above have the most possibilities to 'practise' ;) I especially like Odessa Keys, which I refer to as the 'Whipped Cream Barrel Roll Dream Land' :D

darn Lunar! beat me to it ;)

Adnan
24th February 2006, 03:11 PM
Right. Vohl Square here I come... Thanks.
:)

lunar
24th February 2006, 04:37 PM
To actually improve your barrel rolling techniques, I`d really suggest playing on Khara Descent. Try going down the step descent with 2 or 3 barrel rolls in succession. This teaches you to roll straight and efficiently, because if you aren`t straight you won`t be on the track either. Chenghou is a good one for learning to control your BRs - it can go horribly wrong there if you don`t. :)

Lion
24th February 2006, 08:27 PM
Vohl Square (classic2) - 5 barrel rolls possible (per lap)I'm sure it's possible to get 6 if you absolutely nail it. will have to donate some time to this later

Asayyeah
25th February 2006, 03:54 PM
I agree with you 6 is very possible but you need turbos ( 2 for me ), 5 with 1.

Lion
15th March 2006, 10:44 AM
I'm sure it's possible to get 6 if you absolutely nail it.
I must have nailed it, because I got 6. it wasn't a particularly great time, but for an AG-Sys 27.05 is pretty good on Vohl Sq :)
edit: the ghost is on def's site now

lunar
15th March 2006, 01:45 PM
Six is impressive I never did more than 4. Can you post details of where you did them all? Please. :)

BRs on Vohl don`t always seem to gain that much, though, unless you really control the height gain after the boost. A well controlled line, controlling the pitch, avoiding drift on corners, keeping the ship on the deck and catching all the speed pads can be almost as good. One night on Kai I came to Vohl with the tournament wrapped up so long as I didn`t get blown up. So I decided to do no BRs and actually kept up with the leader who was barrel rolling madly, about 1.5 secs infront all the way round. I dropped back a bit of course, but not as much as I would have expected.

Lion
15th March 2006, 05:28 PM
dammit, on focussing on this I'm convinced now that a 7th is possible

these are the ones I do though:
1)from the start, off the first rise
there's potential for another one (the aforementioned 7th) off the bouce depending on where you land this. there would be absolutely no gain in doing this however
2)off the first shear drop
3) use the 2 speedpads on the left and roll off the next drop.
4) the speed from no.3 means you gain sufficient air on the bounce to roll again. this will likely be the one you never do
5)there's another shear jump a little along
6) there's a fair bit of conventional piloting before the last jump, which is the hard one just before the home bend. i find that the nose is more likely to lift if I am well to the left on this. it's the nose not lifting that makes it a hard roll

eLhabib
15th March 2006, 05:54 PM
well, there is one more possible: when you come out of the last turn, you gain enough height over the finish straight to do one more BR. Be careful not to land on the left banking and hit the flagpost ;)

Lion
16th March 2006, 02:37 AM
never hit the flagpole, but I have run along the top of the wall a few times :)

Asayyeah
16th March 2006, 02:00 PM
8 BR per lap means 40 on a phantom race ....geez where's my upgraded triakis with added batteries for shield extension can't find that article even trough ebay...
8 BR with zone : you cannie finish the first lap :dizzy life is crue for zone ship player.:rolleyes:

Lion
16th March 2006, 04:30 PM
I don't think there's any point to barrel rolling that much.
vohl sq is a fast track anyway, barrel rolls only really seem to be of use if you'd have been slow in that area to begin with.
as lunar stated it's possible to stick remarkably close without doing ANY rolls.
in race mode I would probably only do 3 a lap on vohl sq, trying for more is simply inviting disaster because all that time spent wobblig the controls is time not spent keeping the ship on a fast line