PDA

View Full Version : riddle chase: another one

AmigoJack
30th April 2002, 03:33 AM
another thing i discovered the last days:

you know odessa keys: the clock on the top of the second tunnel, the two cut-jumps before the pitlane and the quite long straight track part.

well - after this "long straight track part" comes a right corner, followed by a small fall. afterwards you enter the third (and last) tunnel before you go over the two cut-jumps. at the front of this tunnel is a word called "POTEMKIN". remember?

now guess what - it has a meaning (which i was never aware of). now that i know it i ask you if you do so too.

Lance
30th April 2002, 12:07 PM
i think it was a Russian battleship. a famous movie was made about an event having to do with it. i'd have to look it up to find out what ive forgotten

AmigoJack
1st May 2002, 10:56 AM
youre on the right way lance... but it was only a title for the ship - its more than a name of a something. (by the way: ive never seen that movie but while searching for explanation i also found stuff of that kind of "POTEMKIN")

Lance
1st May 2002, 12:37 PM
i did about five minutes of research. this is what i found so far:
there was a movie sponsored by the Soviet government, on the 20th anniversary of the Bolshevik revolution, about the mutiny on board the battleship [panzerkreuzer] Potemkin, which at that time was in the port of Odessa. it started over the lack of wholesome food for the crew. when the crew had mutinied, the townspeople of Odessa brought them food. the example of the mutiny against the Tsarist navy caused rebellion to spread in the city against the Tsarist civil authority. there was a lot of killing of the citizens by the army, which became represented in Sergei Eisenstein's movie 'Potemkin' as a massacre on the ''Odessa steps''.

AmigoJack
2nd May 2002, 07:29 AM
that is more of history than ive found. but i dont think the designers meant some massacre by naming a tunnel entrance "POTEMKIN".

ill let you (all) wait till weekend - then ill give you the right meaning :wink:

AmigoJack
5th May 2002, 12:50 PM
heres the original answer:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipd/A0597811.html

Lance
5th May 2002, 06:14 PM
i never heard of that phrase before; there must be an interesting story behind it, but the site doesn't give any origin story. i'll probably check it out myself

AmigoJack
6th May 2002, 10:49 AM
well - i discovered exactly that phrase in an article by a german computer magazin. and that was the point i where was wondering why parts of my 2097s knowledge appear in a public article. but with this explanation (see url) it gives a very good sense.

nevertheless the real background story for that would be interesting too :wink: