PDA

View Full Version : WipEout 64 Players?

_glitch_
18th February 2006, 08:16 PM
Do many people here actually play WipEout 64? If they do, I figured we could have a best time challenge thread.

_glitch_

Lance
18th February 2006, 10:40 PM
there are only a few, but one of those is Al Sartwell, a top level pilot. so you would certainly be assured of tough competition if you start a challenge in the 'Arena'. the problem will be finding players of that version who have enough time to take up the challenge. we can hope.

_glitch_
19th February 2006, 02:00 AM
Only problem is that I don't have a real 64... I emulate. How much of a difference in speed is there between a computer running @ 1.6 ghz with 1 gb RAM and a 64? Actually, the real question is, "Is the reason that emulated runs can't go on the timescale is because there could possibly be a 1/10 second difference in an emulated run and a console run?"

Because of this, do you recommend that I start the thread, since it wouldn't be offical?

_glitch_

Task
19th February 2006, 02:22 AM
I got myself a real N64 just so I could play WO64.

The emulated version could be different in so many different ways that we don't really accept emulated times. Everyone runs the standard hardware with official discs. It's all pretty old, so it's cheap to pick up. Makes for a standard baseline, creates a level playing field. This way, we know that any time achieved is a pure measure of pilot skill.

So while you certainly _could_ start an Arena challenge for emulated WO64, you might not get much response. Depends a lot on how you set it up though. If you make it just one track at one speed class, give it a week for everyone to get a good time, post instructions for others to emulate the same as you, give some good detail in the challenge, then you might get a couple people throwing an hour or so at it.

I know that if you make it much more complicated than that that I likely won't join in, just 'cause I have trouble finding more than a couple hours a week to put into WO. I can't speak for anyone else, but it's a general impression I get the simpler and more detailed the challenge, the larger the response.

Try it and find out, that's all you can do.

_glitch_
19th February 2006, 12:32 PM
Okay, I'll do that - set an emulated baseline. I'll work on it more later... I'm supposed to be doing homework now.

I'd gladly get a 64 - or a PSX or Saturn for that matter - but my mom is almost as anti-videogame as Jack Thompson, so that may be a problem.

_glitch_

Lance
19th February 2006, 04:11 PM
''almost as anti-videogame as Jack Thompson''

i don't know if that's even possible. ;)

exarkann
20th February 2006, 08:37 PM
i own wo64, but i dont have a n64...

JABBERJAW
21st February 2006, 12:49 AM
If I learn how to get this emulated version running, I could test it out.

_glitch_
21st February 2006, 12:03 PM
Well, what emulator are you running? I recommend Project64 1.6.

N64 emulation is very straightforward... configure plugins, load ROM.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

_glitch_

Lion
21st February 2006, 05:36 PM
configuring the plugins can be hard... in the past I had issues where either the transparencies didn't work, or EVERYTHING including the ships were partially transparent
took me hours of fiddling to figure that one out.

_glitch_
23rd February 2006, 02:12 AM
I need some advice.

Track - Dyroness
Craft - AG Systems
Class - Rapier

I can't seem to make it through the second technical section near the end of the track without obliterating the walls about 5 times. My best time thus far is 28.0, and my goal is 25.0.

Anyone know how to make it here?

_glitch_

Task
23rd February 2006, 03:26 AM
It's been a while since I played WO64, but I don't remember any track being especially difficult. What I _do_ remember is that I used a LOT of nose control. If I'm remembering the proper section of track, it was "nose up going over the rise while keeping left, nose down down the slope, hard airbrake right with nose up and right to make the last turn".

So I might have the wrong section or even track in mind, but in general I kept off the walls nicely with hard early airbraking and serious nose control.

HTH,
J

q_dmc12
12th May 2006, 05:54 PM
Same here except Terrafuma (or w/e it was called) was the most difficult track for me - I still own my N64 and all of my games incuding wo64.

PS> WO64 started my wipeout addiction, I quickly bought wo3, then XL, then Fusion and when I bought my PSP the very first game I bought was Pure:D

PPS> I do have a copy of the original WO but its not playable, all I can do is listen to the sound track :(

Silverstream
6th December 2006, 11:35 AM
I still play it with my brother now and then. The multiplayer mode is much more straightforward than WipEout 1 / WipEout 2097; there's no need to faff around with link cables.

I like the track scenery in 64 as well, so it's always good to come back to occasionally.

Brother Laz
11th December 2006, 12:15 AM
It runs just fine in Project64. ;) Good speed, good graphics, no bugs. ;)

Blasted Dyroness...

Mad-Ice
28th December 2006, 10:21 AM
Here i am!

A new WO64 player. Yesterday evening i tried this game for the first time. It so looks like WO2097, the only difference is the controls. The most important one, i should say. Eventhough i managed to get gold in Vector on all the tracks in one time, i think the controls will be very difficult on the faster speed classes. Of course a NeGcon would be the best, but i think i would even get better times if the D-pad was working for this game. Unfortunately the game is not supporting this. So here i see how important the controllers are for games to be really good.

In august i went to the game convention in Leipzig and i got this book with all the controllers made since the first computergame was made. Nice book though and you will guess which controller was the best ever made...........

NeGcon.

I honestly don't understand why PS3 will not support NeGcon :?

Asayyeah
28th December 2006, 02:02 PM
i am not surprised Neggie is coming at 1st place : this is truly the most immersive controller.
and yes i agree with you Matthijs that should be a big loss for us not to have a ps3/Neg compatibility

qirex-rd
28th December 2006, 04:12 PM
I never understood the Negcon and I dont want to.
I still play with my 10 years old non-analog / non-shock
sony digi pad. It was hard enough to get control over my ship
with the N64 analog stick.

Lance
28th December 2006, 07:26 PM
Are there any third-party [really, they're second-party, aren't they?] controllers for N64? Like maybe with shorter, more stiffly sprung joysticks [like the one on standard Dreamcast controllers]?

Hybrid Divide
28th December 2006, 08:49 PM
Finally! Look for me in the timetables soon.

Asayyeah
29th December 2006, 08:53 PM
Got my N64 +W64 back again today : what a real pleasure to see my godchild's taken care of my old console :beer
Controller is ok ( for a nearly 10 years old!!); the game runs perfectly, i only bought, at cash conventers, a memory pack for 3 euros.

Seems the 64 tables will be busy those next days with all members playing this great game Wipeout 64 is :rock

Rapier Racer
30th December 2006, 07:23 PM
I've also acquired Wipeout and a Nintendo 64, I will try my best it is so like 2097 and we know what that means...

Lion
3rd January 2007, 10:01 AM
yeah, arnaud at the top of every table ;)

q_dmc12
4th January 2007, 06:33 PM
Are there any third-party [really, they're second-party, aren't they?] controllers for N64? Like maybe with shorter, more stiffly sprung joysticks [like the one on standard Dreamcast controllers]?

I don't....thhhhhink soo, I do however know of a controller (i own) that has a shape design similar the the xbox but with the same loosy joy the N64 was known for.

auri
10th January 2007, 02:34 PM
Hollow :)

I got WipeOut64 perfectly running yesterday with Project64 and I am a fan again - I quit when I sold my N64 some years ago.
What about those scoretables, emulated runs are not accepted :?

I will read things on the site and see, would be cool to have some competition and blaaa.
Have a nice evening. John

Asayyeah
10th January 2007, 05:48 PM
yes John , emulated times are not valid for the timetables.
to let the competition as fair as possible we need to have the same installment.
Honestly if you really like 64 & would like to compete with us into the tables you can buy a cheap N64 + W64 + memory card for less than 30 £ , mate Lunar found one for 10 pounds :)

auri
10th January 2007, 09:12 PM
Got that, memory card is the last thing I need and next week I will have the possibility to compete then. But I don't understand so much about this forum and the site yet although I have browsed through everything.

I am getting used to it soon I guess, this is only my second day anyway and I have posted so much already. Then I just still need to know how to post or tell my records so that you believe me

Brother Laz
12th January 2007, 06:34 PM
I wonder about that anti-emulation standpoint - if you're running at the same speed and dealing with a less optimal keyboard, then the only real advantage is a higher resolution. And if you need to see that far in the distance to avoid walls, maybe the record tables are not for you anyway. ;)

auri
12th January 2007, 08:22 PM
The resolution does not change much I think.
Well I rather have a disadvantage of playing slightly faster than the game really is. I notice that in the music playing very weirdly :)

Anyway, my n64 should arrive next week and then I will compete!
Are there wo64 competitions coming up?

Asayyeah
13th January 2007, 01:19 PM
you can count on me for the competition , i think we are like 5 or 6 playing it who had recently bought a N64 or clean the dust from their console.
When all my gold will be awarded i am gonna start to get some descent time into SR & laptime TT ( TT racetime missing unfortunately :( )
Spent time to get that ****** gold race challenge with qirex & velocitar phantom : geez not an easy one.
Now needs to reach the last 5 and game will be finished

auri
13th January 2007, 01:41 PM
Hm the guys from ebay are not sending me data where to transfer the money too. Could take a while, wait for me! :)

Asayyeah
13th January 2007, 02:29 PM
Auri be safe with Ebay watch carefully sellers rating before bidding an auction. I recently not received a brand new negcon with a german ebuyer : ok i haven't lost a lot of money in it but that 's always annoying.

JABBERJAW
13th January 2007, 08:06 PM
Ha, arnaud, that took everyone a long time. I figured out that I need to race 4 laps well, then turn around on lap 5 through the s curves. There is an arrow right before the weapon pad, so all you need to do is turn around after this, drive over the weapon pad and into the arrow which does not allow you to go over it so you are stuck on the pad until you turn around. Then just fire away. You won't pick up any turbos or autopilots since you are in first place already. You can actually destroy every ship I think, but then you need to boogey to the finish.

auri
14th January 2007, 07:54 PM
I am being careful with offers.
The n64 comes from an Austrian shop called gamiac, about 1000 votes, 99.2% positive, so I guess nothing bad about that.
And I have no disadvantage if they don't tell me where to pay :)

And on the perfect dark one 99.9% positive, I already paid that. Now that shop is annoying, I already bought it 4 days ago and they still did not send me the data where to send the money. If it takes a week more, they only get a neutral vote ;)

Asayyeah
15th January 2007, 09:14 PM
Ha, arnaud, that took everyone a long time. I figured out that I need to race 4 laps well, then turn around on lap 5 through the s curves.
I get this technique on Qoron IV weapon challenge : last double pad , get reverse and fire missile & quake to every ship : that works pretty well.
But now i am stuck with super combo challenge 5 ( phantom Macheon 2 with only Qirex 'power snare' super weapon to shoot 8 contenders and finished 1st ) , compared to challenge combo 6 which has been done immediately in Gold at the 1st attempt. So Being 1st is not the major difficulty here but shooting 8 opponents in the same time is a matter of luck or not due to that shitty Qirex sub-weapon
I only need this one in gold and then i will be able to unlock that final Gold combo challenge

Except game frozen 5 times per hour : this is a real amazing game, i like it much

@Auri : Maybe the E-shop think you were paying them through Paypal and they are waiting for your paiment to come.
You should email them directly to ask how they want to be paid before giving them a neutral or negativ feedback

( hope it's ok with my english ;) )

auri
15th January 2007, 09:24 PM
Of course it is ok with your English, I get everything :)
I talked to them already and today afternoon he (seems to be a single person shop) sent me the data and I transferred the money over to somewhere in north Austria.

I think.. tomorrow or in two days they will notice I really paid and then send it, will take like 3 days or so? We will see. Hopefully here next monday :)

I am so keen on playing it now that you talk so much about all those gold medals. I did not even know about a secret gold challenge I think. I found the combo challenge hard enough - killing people and getting first is hard!
I never thought about turning around. How do you mean? You sprint to first place and after the second round when you have enough distance you turn around on a weapon pad and fire towards coming ships all the time?
Does that work often?

Asayyeah
15th January 2007, 09:41 PM
I never thought about turning around. How do you mean? You sprint to first place and after the second round when you have enough distance you turn around on a weapon pad and fire towards coming ships all the time?
Actually i did this uniquely with that particular Qoron IV challenge , i sprinted to 1st and then on the last lap i turned around and throw missiles forward ( forward when i am the opposite way of the track) and quakes backward when ships avoided missiles ( ermm ok! even in French i couldn't explain me better:p )

auri
16th January 2007, 04:31 AM
So I guess quake disruptor can only be shot into the normal driving direction, forward from the start right? And if you fly in the wrong direction, it will shoot to your rear.

And you shoot missiles by holding backwards and then it shoots where you are looking at? Or when you are turned around the rocket flies into your view's direction.

Let's get some grammar and explainations on! :mr-t

Asayyeah
16th January 2007, 09:24 PM
Perfectly described for the quake :+
Missile goes into my view's direction.

auri
16th January 2007, 10:21 PM
Okedoke, will try when I get the console, sounds fun.
Although before that I will try getting gold everywhere "regularly".

Now I have been looking for the Wipeout64 sound effects on the internet for like 2 hours and I did not find them :(:(:(
That is so sad, I want them to be in my next quake 3 movie, they fit so well.. "MISSILE" - "QUAKE" - "AUTOPILOT ENGAGED"..

I cannot record them ingame without background noise and I only found the music ripped on the net..
I can use the wipeout3 sound fx you have on the site here too, but are they available in better quality anywhere?
Or please help me to find the announcer's voice in good quality of ANY wipeout game.
Thank you very much in advance :)
John

JABBERJAW
17th January 2007, 01:42 AM
Arnaud, that is the challenge I did it on, Machaon. It will work if you get in the position I said. Just pound the button.

Asayyeah
17th January 2007, 05:07 PM
I tested it with no luck Al , the super weapon from the Qirex is not really powerful and in this challenge you only have that one :(
Most of the time i damage ships but not enough to blow them up, so a quake from other contender destroy 2 or 3 ships in a row :bomb ( i did the job at 90% but not getting eliminations for myself)
I want to unlock that last challenge and not being stuck with this Macheon 2 :blarg

@Auri : except what Rob put in his Dl Audio FX section you already have, that's all i know :frown:

auri
17th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Ok I will go on finding more stuff..
Weird that I found all music files ripped directly from the rom to usf files but the soundeffects are not there and I don't know how to export :)
Blub

rdmx
18th January 2007, 05:40 AM
Can you pretty please convert the usf (never heard of this format) files to a usable format and upload it to megaupload or something similar?

auri
18th January 2007, 06:31 AM
There is a winamp plugin for playing them. You just put the plugin file into the winamp plugin folder and then you can always play them.

But yes, I will try to, mp3s are just nicer.

rdmx
18th January 2007, 09:21 AM
I don't use WinAmp.
I use WMP and iTunes (because of my iPod).

auri
19th January 2007, 03:13 PM
Done :)

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=59880#post59880

..you're welcome

JABBERJAW
19th January 2007, 11:54 PM
Arnaud, I'll have to give it another shot to make sure that is what I did, but I am pretty sure. I remember getting very angry at the game until I figured it out. Maybe you did it on the wrong speed up pad weapon pad combo. I'll check it out and count pads so you can get the exact one. If you choose the wrong one they can go around it.

Asayyeah
20th January 2007, 04:58 PM
Thx Al , but i finally finished that bloody challenge last night after a long Kai session :) so everything is in order now :) got the gold on that 5th challenge getting a poor race time ( 3.17.5) but been 1st & destroyes 8 contenders : mission complete : ouch what a nightmare on that challenge !!

Thx for the help mate

Brother Laz
21st January 2007, 12:25 PM
Is it just me or are the superweapons really imbalanced?

The Auricom weapon is very hard to aim, makes you waste half a lap looking for the perfect opportunity (instead of racing) and doesn't do all that much damage. The Qirex weapon doesn't seem to do any damage without Cyclone, and has no range in Phantom class. Yet AG Systems gets a homing weapon that removes all shields from the target and gives you a shield boost?

auri
21st January 2007, 02:05 PM
I agree. Yesterday I played some single races for fun and the auricom weapon is so useless.. It should be homing too then it would be ok because I think it looks cool.
AG Systems have my favorite super weapon, the red/white sign already looks cool to me. It's very unfair though, hehe: Homing, taking all enemy's energy, giving you some and with one bump the enemy is gone hehe. But I only play Wipeout64 in single player anyway so the unfairness is not disturbing. With Cyclone Feisar's machinegun is also very powerful, takes you about one short aim at an enemy and it is gone.
I totally forgot what the Quirex one did.
Piranha has a cool one, it fits to the team, the Piranha is just always sneaking through until it is in first place :P

Asayyeah
21st January 2007, 03:55 PM
Finished it :) the last gold super combo challenge was easy compared to that damn Chall.5 : now i got a new menu skin : very stylish

But...
The game's still freezing from time to time ; i thought by finishing it at 100% the game won't have anymore problem : false :mr-t
I also tried to put off the memory expansion pack with no result the game is not loading at all :(

Anyway that's a great game except those bloody annoying freezes:turd

Mad-Ice
21st January 2007, 07:56 PM
Hmm, about the game freezing all the time, a possible solution to this might be cleaning the cartridge with a cottonstick. It worked for me anyway!!

auri
21st January 2007, 10:20 PM
I think I never had freezes back in the old days. But I will see..
Yeehaa super gold combo massacre skill tournament challenge! I will be going for gold too :P

I want to see the new menu skin myself.

Brother Laz
22nd January 2007, 09:00 PM
Okay folks, I need a hint. I'm trying to get gold on all race challenges. It may not be a very lofty goal, but I'm having big problems with challenge #2 (AG-5Y5, Dyroness, Venom, no weapons).

I try and fly as good as I can - no collisions with walls, few collisions with other ships, although I usually do miss some speed arrows. After the first lap, I'm in a nice 10th place. After the second lap, I'm 5th. Contender number 4 succumbs about three seconds into the final lap. Number 3 at the metal arch before the turbine. Number 2 halfway through the final tunnel, because the bastard is a heavy Qirex and swerves all over the place. After that, I never even see the \1/ arrow for the remainder of the lap.

Is there a trick to this track? Race challenge #4 took me a while to get gold on, and the secret was basically to grab the speed pad before the little bump with the overhead conveyor crane. I don't know why this made such a big difference.

I agree. Yesterday I played some single races for fun and the auricom weapon is so useless.. It should be homing too then it would be ok because I think it looks cool.

It kills in one hit if you have Cyclone on, and then it is fine in terms of power. But in the grand scheme of things, you're better off just overtaking them.

That weapon challenge with the energy sphere, rockets and thunder bomb is interesting, because it has the two hardest to aim weapons. If WOZ ever runs a challenge contest, this one should be included. (Personally, I got gold by dumping all rockets and superweapons and spamming thunder bombs...)

AG Systems have my favorite super weapon, the red/white sign already looks cool to me. It's very unfair though, hehe: Homing, taking all enemy's energy, giving you some and with one bump the enemy is gone hehe. But I only play Wipeout64 in single player anyway so the unfairness is not disturbing.

I can see why the team wanted to buff up the slower ships, but yeah, that thing is overpowered. It also has a negative influence on any weapon or super combo challenge that includes the weapon, because the number of kills you get is often directly proportional to the number of shield raiders you pick up, making the outcome almost random.

The exception is that super combo challenge where your only weapon is the shield raider, of course. See if you can win it by destroying everyone on the track. (Once, I got the field down to me and a single other ship, which then proceeded to win the race, giving me a silver. Grr)

With Cyclone Feisar's machinegun is also very powerful, takes you about one short aim at an enemy and it is gone.

Not just with Cyclone - even in regular mode, it's basically an instant kill. Good thing it doesn't follow the track, so you have to wait for the right opportunity to use it.

I totally forgot what the Quirex one did.

It is entirely forgettable. It makes a wall in front of you covering half the track, like the force wall in WO3. Which would have been fine if it actually did something. I believe it does the same damage as a missile, but is of course much harder to aim. It takes three hits to kill an Auricom with Cyclone.

It also lacks an explosion visual/sound, so it's hard to tell who got hit if anyone, and they substituted that very appropriate 'boooo' sound to let you know it 'worked'.

So I guess sooner or later I'm going to give up on Super Combo #5, park on that weapon grid and hammer the trigger like everyone else... ;)

Piranha has a cool one, it fits to the team, the Piranha is just always sneaking through until it is in first place :P

Try timing it so you fade back in when you're inside an opponent. ;)

Asayyeah
22nd January 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm having big problems with challenge #2 (AG-5Y5, Dyroness, Venom, no weapons).
Yeah agree it was one of my hard Gold to get but not impossible.
Try to be boosted at the start by a ship this is a good way to avoid them into the tunnel : the X2 Boost Pad are important when you go out from it don't miss them , at the 2nd tunnel be soft with airbrakes so that no bottoming out into the straight line : means no loss of speed.
Last part with tricky descending chicanes is where you can gain or not the race : if you anticipate well you can run through them smoothly with a descent speed
Good luck:banzai

guess sooner or later I'm going to give up on Super Combo #5, park on that weapon grid and hammer the trigger like everyone else... ;)
Be focused on what you are doing now : they are several difficulties before acheiving that %*$$%ü% Challenge 5 :brickwall

Hmm, about the game freezing all the time, a possible solution to this might be cleaning the cartridge with a cottonstick. It worked for me anyway!!

Thx Matt' i will do that :+

auri
22nd January 2007, 10:03 PM
Ok I got it :)
I got all golds in race challenges plus the super gold challenge in the end quite easily. #2 was hard yes but still can figure it out, just never hit an edge, always use the double speedpad after the first tunnel and go through the slalom as straight as possible like jumping over the edges if you know what I mean.

Edit: I just did it on second try: http://q3mm.de/auri/archive/videos/wipeout64/auri_wipeout64_race-challenge-2-gold.avi
I reckon important things are the double speedpad (I reach it by steering right after the edge of the tunnel, no airbreak, it breaks you a lot) and rather miss a speedpad instead of getting it and bumping another vehicle after, doesn't give you time. Manage to be 4th after the second round and then let your luck finish it :)

GOod night. John

Lance
23rd January 2007, 03:11 AM
You guys oughta be putting all this good stuff in the WO64 tips thread:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277