PDA

View Full Version : iloveTETS304.3.1.8 W3O Rapier single lap challenge

iloveTETS304.3.1.8
17th February 2006, 06:11 PM
wip3out best single lap competition
NTSC American,
time trial mode, wepon pads off.

i'm not sure if anyone still plays wip3out, but im thinking of starting a best single lap competition for that game. i'm going to get started on running my times now. for this competition all races should be done in rapier class, without using the infinite boost cheat plz ;P

--------------

i ran these three today, ive also added after the time where i still have room for improvement.

time trial-rapier class-mannor top-assegai-00.27.70 (didn't use enough boost)
time trial-rapier class-pmar project-icarus-00.38.14 (hit 2 walls)
time trial-rapier class-terminal-icarus-00.29.70 (bad airbraking, hit one wall)

edit by Lance; two consecutive posts by same member combined.

stin
17th February 2006, 07:43 PM
Hi, Welcome to the board.

Have you check the records throught the main board? like this http://www.wipeoutzone.com/records.php?format=pal

stevie:)

Lance
17th February 2006, 08:51 PM
iloveTETS304.3.1.8, you need to start challenges in their own threads; i have moved your posts to a separate thread in the 'Arena' for this purpose.

a bit of general info for when you set up challenges:

you also need to state a more complete set of conditions:
1- which version of the game?
please note that there are several versions of WO3: NTSC American, NTSC Japanese, PAL, and the extended PAL version called WO3 Special Edition. every one of these is different in its specs and produces different results for the same ship piloted by the same person. that is why we have separate records sections available from the WipeoutZone.com main page.

2- which race mode? Time Trial or Single Race? [you seem to have chose Time Trial in this case, though you did not specify this in the original post.

3- [in the case of Single Race mode] weapons on or off?

please note also that any Single Race record times that result from this challenge cannot be entered in our official tables unless weapons are on and all opponents enabled.

if you have any questions about any of this, just ask. :)

Tomahawk
20th February 2006, 07:57 PM
Hmmm... best single lap competition.... I'd like to take part, but I do not have W3O NTSC. Don't you want to open this competition for PAL users, too?

I dusted off my old W3O copy today, after reading this thread and had a few laps on my favourite track - Manor Top - just for fun. I never raced TT until today (only single races) and I still have to "get the flow back into my flying" cause I only played 3SE for the last couple of months, but I managed to pull off a 0.27.44 and a few 28.somethings...

Lance
20th February 2006, 09:54 PM
Hmmm... best single lap competition.... I'd like to take part, but I do not have W3O NTSC. Don't you want to open this competition for PAL users, too?

Lance said: ''please note that there are several versions of WO3... ... every one of these is different in its specs and produces different results for the same ship piloted by the same person. that is why we have separate records sections available from the WipeoutZone.com main page.''

this is also why we have separate challenges for separate game versions.

iloveTETS304.3.1.8
20th February 2006, 10:21 PM
well this thread isnt exactly overflowing with activity, so if the moderators dont mind, i suppose thoes out there with PAL copies might as well just post in this thread. im not sure exactly HOW different the versions are, but if u ask me, i just assume let anyone with any version put in their times in this thread, just make sure you mention in your post which version you are working with. if this is unacceptable to the moderators, i appologize, i dont mean to cause drama.

Tomahawk
21st February 2006, 05:49 PM
As stin alraedy pointed out in his post, there are records tables on this site which ensure a fair competition for best lap times/race times for the different versions of the game. If you want to compete against other members of this forum you might just as well post your best times there. It doesn't make much sense imho to repost any times in an arena-thread.
If on the other hand you want to have a competition on a certain track for a certain period of time, you might have to add some more information to your challenge like "when does the challenge start/end" or "on which track(s) will the competition be run". Maybe this will get some more members of this board to race against you. For me, your thread has been an inspiration to start playing some time trials, which I have never done before...

@ Lance: I know, that the times for the different versions of the game can't be compared in general, but there's not too much difference in the times when you look at the timetables. Take for example the first places for Porto Kora (PAL Phantom (Arnaud Senand): 0.17.76 - NTSC Phantom (Al Sartwell): 0.17.30) - that's less than half a second difference. I know I'm comparing two different pilots here, but these times show me just what time is achievable at best. And after all the game should be fun and fun only. :)
There have already been challenges going on in the arena where users of all versions could take part in, like the porto kora - fastest lap challenge by G'Kyl in June 2004. I didn't mean to offend anybody by asking to open this challenge for the PAL users, I was just asking a question and I've been ready to accept every possible answer to it.

Lance
21st February 2006, 08:23 PM
we thrashed this out a few years ago in an international challenge. the differences had been studied and measured as best as possible by Al Sartwell. not only is there variation between versions, but the differences are not consistent within a version from track to track. we did eventually get the challenge to more or less work, but only with the expenditure of a lot of effort, in which Al applied correction factors to every time for each track for each version. the differences are big enough to determine the winner if races are close. this is why it is best to simply have different contests for each version. you do have a point however in that this would seem to be simply an off-the-cuff fun challenge. the starter of the challenge is free to set whatever conditions he wants to.

eLhabib
22nd February 2006, 01:17 AM
Take for example the first places for Porto Kora (PAL Phantom (Arnaud Senand): 0.17.76 - NTSC Phantom (Al Sartwell): 0.17.30) - that's less than half a second difference.

Half a second makes A WORLD of difference in wipEout!

Tomahawk
22nd February 2006, 09:58 AM
Half a second makes A WORLD of difference in wipEout!

It always depends on how serious you take the whole thing. ;) I play wipeout to have fun in the first place. If I manage to improve my best race/lap times and advance in the records tables by doing this, that's great. If I fly like crap and my ship explodes :bomb everytime I'm on the track, that's ok for me, too. I don't play this game to anger myself, I play it in my sparetime to have fun. After all it's just a game...

eLhabib
22nd February 2006, 11:18 AM
I'm not saying you should take it more serious, I don't take it that serious either, and in TT I don't stand a chance anyway, but hey, IF you compete on record tables, you would want them to be dead accurate, wouldn't you?

Tomahawk
22nd February 2006, 12:12 PM
I agree with you 100% on that point. And I'm very thankful that the mods and the users of this site keep the records tables as clean as they are now. We've all seen on the fusion boards what kind of sh*t can happen if you don't keep a watchful eye on the tables.

Lance
22nd February 2006, 05:37 PM
[gasps loudly]
Wipeout? just a game?!!!!
[faints]
;)

JABBERJAW
4th March 2006, 12:37 AM
call it pal 3se=0:00 ntsc a = 0:00 and subract 0:00.44 from any pal times. this is just about right for phantom, so it should be similar

Dimension
9th March 2006, 09:37 AM
So if Al's modifiers are to be used, can we PAL pilots get in on the act plz? Been ages since I raced Rapier, wouldn't mind a few laps at a more leisurely pace :p BTW, when's the closing date? It's not in the initial post :?

Mano
10th March 2006, 05:06 AM
It always depends on how serious you take the whole thing. ;) I play wipeout to have fun in the first place. If I manage to improve my best race/lap times and advance in the records tables by doing this, that's great. If I fly like crap and my ship explodes :bomb everytime I'm on the track, that's ok for me, too. I don't play this game to anger myself, I play it in my sparetime to have fun. After all it's just a game...

That quote was a bout a half second difference....

some comments not to be taken as a rant, but more like written thoughts:

the part that many people likes the most is the speed+competition, and that half a second IS a world of difference like elhabib said, heck we even play to shave off tenths of a second.

On how serious you take things also depends on how far will you master ANYTHING, when you really like something you learn more, master more details, etc. this is were the fun is for some people.

i think the "its just a game" phrase is quite judgemental, first because it tries to enclose what is fun, exciting or even important for every person, and that is just impossible and not fun :D.

Second it tries to take down whatever efforts other people do to make or be the best in something, even if others dont think its relevant or important; if that kind of thinking were good then how would new and exciting forms of entretainment grow?, think about this: a lot of things people thought were "just games" are not "just games" anymore.

fwiw i think its a game, not "just" a game; in my case if i "just" play the games without looking for any depth and without trying to do interesting stuff and apply whatever skill i have (or IF i even have any) on anything then its just boring and dull and if the game doesnt inspire me to play that way, i usually dont like it much, with exceptions, of course

And this is not the case but many friends i have use that word as an excuse when they are not good at something.

Smoothly Does It
10th March 2006, 09:35 AM
Well put manuel, agree completely, in action packed games, for my enjoyment there's gotta be something after that initial "OMG, li3k PH4st!!!1" period and I, unsurprisingly, find WO to have that, which was nice :sonar

eLhabib
10th March 2006, 10:25 AM
"OMG, li3k PH4st!!!1"

ROFL good one ;)

Asayyeah
10th March 2006, 12:44 PM
whatever skill i have (or IF i even have any) .
as someone said before : great skill usually works with humility. And that fits perfectly for you mi amigo.
[ good luck for your Negcon voodoo project :) doing such experience on a poor white Neggy is for me like a sacrilege :cold

;)

Mano
10th March 2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks on the good wishes my friend, im still looking for those black negcons like i told you but they are indeed rare, however there seems to be some white ones being sold here in Peru (albeit used) there seems to be quite an influx of japanese used electronics imports.

About the sacrilege, yes, we must profane the sacred for a chance to make it godly :devil: :D

Asayyeah
10th March 2006, 01:30 PM
:clap