PDA

View Full Version : yu gi oh forum

piranha wiper
13th February 2006, 12:12 PM
my mate has joined a forum and wants more people to join, its about yu-gi-oh if anyones interested theres only 8 people there, theres also a spam section that you can talk about anything you want

http://s3.phpbbforfree.com/forums/yugiohmasters.html

xEik
13th February 2006, 01:16 PM
Even being a big anime fan as I am, after seeing two half episodes, it left me rather cold. There is so much more to see that is so much better...

Not to mention that AFAIK Lance almost hates it. :D

Don't get me wrong, this is not a flame against you for liking the series. I just think there are other animes you coud better spend your time with. :)

Lance
13th February 2006, 05:50 PM
not that anyone should let my opinion of an anime influence them in any way. everybody has their own set of aesthetic and emotional triggers.

for the record: almost? no, i just hate it through and through.
before i ever saw an episode, i liked the drawing style of the screen caps i'd seen, but after i had actually seen the moving reality in all its horrid script idiocy, no. i find the talky posturing particularly vile. not to mention the eXtrEmely limited animation, and the character Joey, with his [american voice dub] 1950-style pseudo-Brooklyn, New York accent.

that said, i'm sure that an extra outlet for discussion by the fans of the series is welcome.

JABBERJAW
15th February 2006, 12:53 AM
Iv'e watched it for a few times and though it was very poor. the concept is pretty bad. I'm not a huge anime fan, but I have liked some stuff Iv'e seen on cartoon network

Task
15th February 2006, 02:57 AM
In my books, Yugi rates along with DragonBall and Sailor Moon.
Which is pretty low.
But hey, that's just my opinion and those are all very popular shows, so I'm sure you'll get some traffic.

Now if anyone (Al, Lance, xEik, whoever) is looking for anime that I rate highly, I'd suggest Initial D. First season blew me away. Capeta is new, and it's pretty good so far. Both of them are "anime meets racing with good plot and characters". It's almost everything I like in one package! It'd be tough to work "cheese" into it, so I imagine that's as close as it'll get.

Lance
15th February 2006, 03:58 AM
i love the music for Initial D.

Thruster2097
15th February 2006, 07:28 AM
Second that, lance, Initial D has a soundtrack so great even some of us western euroners have heard it.. truly great stuff....... if youre into that kind of thing.....

Yu-gi-oh, or any other j-toon at the moment still wont beat pokemon.
Pokemon, however, still wont beat ed edd & eddy. Or cow & chicken. Or johnny bravo.

Just as a footnote, can anyone tell me who tom & jerry (famous cat/mouse) belong to? Bugs bunny belongs to warner, mickey belongs to disney, just cant figure out who owns the cat. Any help?

xEik
15th February 2006, 07:56 AM
In my books, Yugi rates along with DragonBall and Sailor Moon.
Which is pretty low.

I think one must make a clarification here. The original Dragon Ball is an excellent series. Not to be confused with its much more popular sequel Dragon Ball Z.
The first is humorous and is mostly about the characters' quest for finding the dragon balls.
Z is too centered in fights, is almost devoid of humor and has a really weak plot.
I never really bothered with Dragon Ball GT, I was already tired of Z which, in the end, I only saw for the sake of continuity.

Tomahawk
15th February 2006, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to say that I'm no yu-gi-oh fan either.
In case of trading card games I'm only into Magic - The Gathering. I've been playing this game since 1994, when the first german cards appeared on the market.
In case of anime my most favourite ones would be the Cyber City stories, the brilliant Ninja Scroll movie and everything about Record of Lodoss War.

Hellfire_WZ
15th February 2006, 08:44 AM
Just as a footnote, can anyone tell me who tom & jerry (famous cat/mouse) belong to? Bugs bunny belongs to warner, mickey belongs to disney, just cant figure out who owns the cat. Any help?

Tom and Jerry were MGM for most of their lives, before being handed over to Hanna-Barbera in 1975 when MGM shut down. They went through several animators as well, initially Fred Quimby, then Gene Deitch, Chuck Jones, and finally Hanna and Barbera.

Easily my favourite cartoon of all time, still have a few episodes on the PC! :)

eLhabib
15th February 2006, 09:42 AM
The reason why Yu Gi Oh and most other new anime series are so terribly low in quality is that they were, so to say, 'reverse engineered'. In the mid-90s, the big toy companies in japan found out that anime schwag was selling well (like for example anything connected to Pokemon, one of the last original, and rather good series), so they decided to make new toys and create an anime series AROUND it only as a selling point. You can see that easily with Yu Gi Oh, seeing as it's a card game (a dumbed down version of Magic: The Gathering), and the series is simply about people playing the very same game. Add in the fictional idea of a grid where the contents of the playing cards actually become real, and kids will dig it. As a sale concept, it works. As a series, it sucks.

Oh and please don't put DBZ and Sailor Moon in the same drawer as Yu Gi Oh. Not that I like either of them, but at least those 'classic' series have a story and a rather decent drwaing style to them.

To anyone who is looking for some GREAT anime action, I can highly recommend 'Samurai Champloo', 'Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex', and 'Gungrave'.

Btw, does anyone know 'Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs'? That was by FAR my favorite anime show when I was a kid.

Lion
15th February 2006, 11:24 AM
Saber Rider wasn't bad, but I preferred Galaxy Rangers by a country mile.
Teknoman (Tekkaman Blade) has been discussed here before is another favourite of mine.

I've just started watching Bleach, and I have been following Naruto for about a year.. and Initial D since about 2003. I also quite like Full Metal Panic (but fumoffu was crap, also it's nothing at all to do with Full Metal Alcemist)
Initial D and Full Metal Panic it's actually the romance subplot that hooked me on the shows.. sad I know.

FLCL is weird but good if you can find it.
Vandread was Extremely good.
Akira surprises me every time I watch it, it's one of those movies that was WAY ahead of it's time.
the only animated advertising engine I ever got into to any extent was Transformers (original, especially season 2)

Mysterious Cities of Gold and Speed Racer are all time classics of japanese animation (neither written by japanese though, MCoG french/spanish and Speed Racer american)

I'm amazed this thread has seen no mention of Neon Genesis Evangelion

my life basically revolved around cartoons till I was 17

eLhabib
15th February 2006, 11:56 AM
NGE is overhyped if you ask me. The drawing style is amazing, no doubt, but the story and characters are rather poor IMHO.

Lance
15th February 2006, 02:47 PM
has anybody but me seen Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust? it's a sequel to the original, and it moved me where the original just seemed too childish and crude. [no disrespect to anyone who likes the original; don't forget that i'm old.] i think the visuals of Bloodlust are great, and i got into the story.

xEik
15th February 2006, 03:37 PM
Seen both. :)
Not my piece of cake though. :S
Which is strange since I'm usually quite into vampire stories. Hellsing, although sometimes silly, is quite fun.

Lion
15th February 2006, 05:30 PM
I love the soundtrack to Hellsing, and I am told that the Hellsing anime can't hold a candle to the manga. If that's the case; the manga must be incredible, but I have yet to lay eyes on it.
oh, Trigun is another series I got a kick out of a while back, had some interesting concepts too

lance: I'll have to look that up