PDA

View Full Version : Acid Alert

Vasudeva
25th April 2002, 03:00 PM
Halloa everyone;

I don't own wipEout Fusion myself (I'll probably get my PS2 in August :( ), but I've been browsing all of the WF site, which looks great. Despite the great design of the site, and the loads of information given to the public (in contrast to the imho sometimes too minimalistic WO3), I have a few critical remarks and questions. Perhaps owners of the game, or people who are experts at this material could answer me?

I like renewal. But five of the eight old teams were scrapped? Perhaps a little too much? Other than the new name, logo and style I see no real reason why Qirex should be Tigron, and AG should be G-Tech.

Something else about the teams. WO3 had a good international representation. While I myself am a proud European, I don't see the necessity to have three European teams (four, if you count Tigron in as well) at the expense of possible African or Australian teams. And the team name "Van-Uber" makes me frown. My fellow students (we all study German :D) agree that "Von-Über" sounds much more German. "Van-Uber" sounds like bastardised Dutch; it *is* possible, but, well "unheimisch".

Oh well, perhaps I'm just a conservative futurist bastard :roll: :)

V.

Lance
25th April 2002, 04:58 PM
a ''conservative futurist''
lol. good one

Spaceboy Gajo
25th April 2002, 06:22 PM
While reading Vasudeva 's post , it reminded me of a conversation I had with my friend regarding Wipeout Fusion.

Basically I told him that Wipeout Fusion is aimed solely at Europeans. Look at where the majority of the teams come from. You'd think there'd be some competition in North America instead of just Auricom.

Also, the Krappa merchandise is shipped around Europe, but if you want to get it here across the NTSC land, forget it.

We did not even know if it was going to show up definitely, until Bam! stepped up to the plate and picked up the license. I believe that Sony was hesitant on releasing the game on this side of the pond. How can you explain the W3:SE. Wip3out did not sell well here and they did not want to risk releasing the game only to fans. Until, Bam! came in and took over their problem.

This is all specualtion on my part, from my vantage point. I have nothing against the fact the game is aimed at Europeans. Ce la vie! When I was in Europe I understood the difference between the European and North American market. There is literally a gap when you cross the Atlantic. I found really great music in Europe and now almost a half year later, it's beginning to cross.

I can go on and on about the differences but that's not the point. Look at the majority of the users on this message board, and you'll know where the game is truly marketed to.

Like I said I have no problem, just stating my views from here.

:o

infoxicated
25th April 2002, 06:36 PM
Wipeout Fusion was always intended to be released in North America - it would have been a global release, however, the menus would not easily translate into the Japanese character set.

Spaceboy Gajo
25th April 2002, 06:43 PM
Wipeout Fusion was always intended to be released in North America

Released quietly. Maybe a full page ad here and there but not like the coverage the European market got.

Lance
25th April 2002, 08:22 PM
to release it quietly would guarantee low sales, would make their own expectation self-fulfilling. that would be really stupid, the marketer should make a big initial splash and then continue to make sure it's not forgotten. they'll have to spend considerable money, but if they don't, then they'll lose money for sure

AmigoJack
26th April 2002, 05:41 AM
ich weiss was du meinst, vesudeva - auch ich kann mich darüber nicht so recht freuen, angesichts aller W'O''-spiele davor. aber irgendwo kann ich es auch akzeptieren...

(ich hab FUSION auch nicht, auch keine PS2)

Vasudeva
26th April 2002, 07:27 AM
@AmigoJack

Vielliecht sollte Van-Uber ein niederländisches Team gewesen sein . Minderheiten haben auch ihre Rechte :D

V.

AmigoJack
28th April 2002, 06:50 PM
:lol: one team member should be one of the flodders...

and the history reads like this: "due to amsterdams underground relationships and the rather legalized drug-sellings profit .NL was able to found their very own ag-racing team. nevertheless it was unavoidable to do so without cooperating to the wannabe-succesful chief of .DE 'wolfgang von über'. so they never had the chance to render their own name because it was a simple abstraction to 'van-uber'. if the team finally manages the big move to the top they might alter their team name into something very better - or they evolve their own autarque team without sticking to 'wolfgang von über's roots in the project. so far - lets stay tune(d)!"

[ pure fiction ]