PDA

View Full Version : Anti-gravity, soon?

Zhang Fei
9th January 2006, 09:24 AM
I haven't got around to reading the article yet, but the lastest issue of New Scientist has an article concerning anti-gravity, in this case it looks like it is for interstellar travel. The article in question is in the 7th January issue which is still available in the shops. It is even their main cover story.

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=16902006

Zhang Fei.

Tomahawk
9th January 2006, 01:13 PM
This article reminds me of the anti-gravitation-engine they showed in the film "Event Horizon". An engine openig a portal to some kind of other, unknown dimension. :sonar
Seems that the device needed to explore this physical theory further would be much to big for a small, one-man ag racer....

Airrider
9th January 2006, 09:25 PM
This article reminds me of the anti-gravitation-engine they showed in the film "Event Horizon". An engine openig a portal to some kind of other, unknown dimension. :sonar
Seems that the device needed to explore this physical theory further would be much to big for a small, one-man ag racer....
But then again, ENIAC, one of the first computers, was large enough to fill up an entire enormous laboratory...Now, I write this post on a laptop:rock

Part of this looks interesting...except for the fact that you're basically a flying EMP bomb...

Lion
9th January 2006, 09:42 PM
I hope this is tested successfully. I'd love to see AG in my lifetime :D
the biggest concern is probably going to be magnetic spill (I'm sure that's not the right term, but it should be clear enough) because incredibly powerful magnetic fields have all kinds of interesting and probably undesirable effects.

Airrider
9th January 2006, 09:46 PM
That's what I was trying to say, Lion. This craft's biggest weakness is the fact that you're a self-contained, self-propelled EMP.

Rouni Kenshin#1
10th January 2006, 02:36 AM
umm... why is there a new thread on this? It's a great add on to the other about 3 threads on this topic you should move this to one of those it would really help it get going again.

Looks realy hopefull though. The magnetic spill might be fixed by fixing an electromagnet of the opposite polarity in a ring like track lighting to force the main magnet field under the ship.

Task
10th January 2006, 03:08 AM
No, this one looks totally different from all the other "Real AG!" topics.

Totally different in that this one looks like it actually has a real chance of getting somewhere.

I've researched into it, and ridiculous as it seems, it's all legit.

It's quite possible that Heim here has unified Relativity and QM. Not only are his theories predicting the masses of elementary particles to experimental values, but the "recent" modifications to his theory seem to explain Dark Energy. All that, and he had it figured out in the '50s.

And hey, FTL drive, too.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one.

(and BTW, moved to correct forum)

Dimension
10th January 2006, 09:18 AM
read the article, looks interesting but it's not going to get far unless they disclose the maths behind it, i'd love to use an analogy for putting money into something lacking express details but i've not the heart... or brain :turd

Tomahawk
10th January 2006, 11:55 AM
@ Airrider: The EMP certainly is a big problem. If this theory really works, how can the results be made compatible with existing technology. As you said, the EMP could become a huge problem when it comes to combining this kind of engine with conventional computer-technology. And will the human body be able to withstand such huge magnetic forces, or will the magnetic radiation cause some serious brain damage? :dizzy

@ Dimension: As I disposed of physics class in 11th grade, I too certainly do not have the brains to explain this theory or even explore it any further. If the US military really wants to spend some money on exploring this theory, we might be seeing some interesting results in the next few decades or so... The question is how they will use these results. Are they going to develop some new kind of bomb? And are they going to open their research results for everybody?