PDA

View Full Version : I think I've found the perfect way to wreck your Pure skill

Hellfire_WZ
11th December 2005, 02:32 PM
Play Ridge Racer. ;)

I'm not implying in any way it's a bad game, I enjoyed it very much. However, the handling system has really screwed up my ability to play Pure. Because the drift handling in RR practically hand-leads you around the track, it becomes very easy to rely on it, and as I've been using it for three days solid, I've had to go back to Flash class in Pure. I can remember the course layouts perfectly, but I simply cannot remember how to pilot the craft effectively due to this "strange" handling system that RR has imprinted on me.

Has anyone else had a game that they were really good at, only to find their skill impaired by long periods on another game?

Drakkenmensch
11th December 2005, 03:48 PM
Pure's sideshift system has led me to repeatedly slam into walls in Wipeout 3, as I tried to use it in some of the sharper turns ;)

*doubletaps right airbrake which does nothing and hits wall* D'OH!

lunar
11th December 2005, 04:02 PM
Fortunately I use a neg so it doesn`t take too long to stop "sideshifting" and "absorbing" weapons on the old games. The screen size though, after Pure, is just scary.

Glad u posted that, Hellfire, I was thinking of getting RR, but I might save it now until I`m done with Pure. It`s not worth that kind of trauma. ;) My experience is the other way round; I played my first Flash race for weeks last night, after playing nothing but Phantom, and it was just freaky - you`ve got so long to think about upcoming corners. In Phantom you fly by instinct, in comparison, with very small margins, but in Flash you`re trundling along thinking at some point in the next few seconds I need to make a turn to the right, but at what point I should do this exactly is anybody`s guess..... and most of the time I was out by a good amount, and much too aggressive. So Phantom wrecks your Flash skills, for me at least.

I remember when Fusion came out it was blamed for destroying people`s Wip3out skills, but then Fusion gets the blame for most things. :)

Sausehuhn
11th December 2005, 04:02 PM
when I've played Pure and then RR directly after that I often press R and L insted of [_] to break and activate Nitro or change the view.
Especially at the beginning it was a problem for me... but now I can manage it. Haven't got that big problems to switch between the games in a short time anymore...

The fact that I'm so or so not very good in Pure (or RR) makes the difficulty even smaller ;)

Lion
11th December 2005, 05:26 PM
drak you're not on your own, I have done the same in 2097 :P

the worst thing I have ever done to my gaming ability was to spend 5 weeks at a beach with no exposure to anything electronic. by the time I got home I had difficulty manipulating a mouse with any accuracy and it took me 2 years to pick up QuakeWorld to the same level I was at before going away

eLhabib
11th December 2005, 09:57 PM
you're not alone, Charlie! PGR3 has wrecked my purE skills, too :( gotta get back to some serious AG-training!

Jittery-Joe
13th December 2005, 04:10 PM
Bizarly enough, wip3out has ruined my Pure skills, because of the wepaons controls being the oppositte way round, which is annoying. GTA: Liberty City stories has also had the same effect :bomb

xEik
13th December 2005, 04:25 PM
Well, toggling the buttons for firing and dropping weapons was the first thing I did when I started playing Pure.

I just don't understand why SL changed it from what they used to be in 2097 and 3.

Lion
13th December 2005, 04:28 PM
I have taken to reversing it in the older games.
elements of the pure payout make more sense to me.

I'm having trouble readjusting to pit lanes now too

Jittery-Joe
13th December 2005, 04:31 PM
I prefer the older button sets, mainly because it matches up to the fire buttons in a few other games (GTA included)

Lance
13th December 2005, 04:40 PM
i vote for user-configurable button assignments on EVery game

Hellfire_WZ
13th December 2005, 05:45 PM
If I remember rightly, the buttons were swapped to appeal to the wider audience. While veterans are used to the original setup, apparently market research showed that the majority preferred the reversed setup.

eLhabib
13th December 2005, 06:48 PM
well actually, in the older games I used to swap them. since I rest the middle of my thumb on (x), the tip of my thumb can reach ([]) perfectly, and since in the older games you did more firing than dropping, that was my natural choice. For dropping/absorbing I just roll my thumb a bit to the right and it lands perfectly on (o), without leaving (x). I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't have to change anything in the purE button layout! :D

username
15th December 2005, 07:16 PM
i found that if you have a go on burn-out for a while it screws up your ability on all of the wipeout games! have any of you found that happens to you to?

Rapier Racer
25th December 2005, 04:30 PM
Pure screwed up my Wip3out skills, now I find it almost impossible to play especially with a NeGcon I also try to double tap the airbrakes *CLANG*aheam:redface: the size of the craft also threw me a bit, were they always so large, played burnout revenge for a while but it had no effect on my Pure skills

Rouni Kenshin#1
29th December 2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah i played burnout for a while and aside from at the very begining hitting the square button when i wanted to break they were too different for it to mess up my pure.

Airrider
29th December 2005, 02:59 PM
I'm waiting for someone to admit to trying to sideshift and absorb their items in Mario Kart... XD