PDA

View Full Version : KAI event

Lion
11th December 2005, 02:11 AM
after an awesome tournament with sparks the idea struck to try to organise a fairly big Decension competition using nothing but one kind of ship and at flash speeds... it really feels weird going to that after adjusting to something else at phantom.

the suggestion was qirex, but I am thinking that it might work well to make it any of the oldschool ships: Qirex/Auricom/AG-Systems/Feisar/Piranha
the idea is to make it as fun as possible... on a crowded track, the varying strengths and weaknesses if these ships mean it will come down to pilot skill just as much as luck with the weapons pickups.

things to consider:
1) have you successfully played on kai?
2) do you have the US or EU version? both?
3) when are you available to play? please, post all times in GMT

I am likely to lose interest in trying to arrange this if I try an plan it too far out, so if we say next weekend, 16/17/18 december?

please post info in the following format if interested

played on kai? yes
us or eu ver? both
availability? 16/12: 21:00-00:00 | 17/12: 00:00-10:00,21:00-00:00 | 18/12: 00:00-10:00
ship preference? qirex

my times are a bit messy because I'm on the opposite side of the world from most of you. also I'm not gonna be in front of the PC for that whole time, but I can be there for any arranged time in that space.
hopefully once a few people have posted their availability we can come up with an event time that works for a lot of us.

Sven
11th December 2005, 05:28 PM
Sounds like fun...I don't know how the connection would be with 8 players though...
I'm not available for that this weekend though...But for the next 3 weeks after that, I'll be available pretty much all the time.

Drakkenmensch
11th December 2005, 06:08 PM
From experience, I can tell you that anything above 5 players is an absolute lagfest, with ships teleporting left and right, invisible weapons and players freezing to immobility only to unstick themselves ten seconds ahead of you, all the way to several players being told they won the same medal even though they have different times. Five players is borderline acceptable play as long as the host has a decent connection, four players is best.

eLhabib
11th December 2005, 09:50 PM
that's absolutely true. if we get 8 people together, we could split it up into 2 'divisions' of 4 players each.

played on kai? yes
us or eu ver? us
availability? can't say for sure yet, but usually between 21:00 and 03:00 GMT
ship preference? assegai

lunar
12th December 2005, 12:03 AM
I could do the 16th or the 18th, from around 23.30 onwards.

Ship preference: if it`s Flash and oldschool ships, don`t know..... Qirex or Auricom probably. If it`s Phantom, Van Uber, obviously. :banzai

Lion
12th December 2005, 05:00 AM
ship preference? assegai
that's not one of the listed oldschool (read: 2097/xl) teams :P

Sven
12th December 2005, 02:17 PM
What, Wipeout 3 doesn't count as old school?

P.S. I have played on kai, with the US version, and my ship preference is AG-systems.

Lance
12th December 2005, 03:13 PM
van Uber is the one that's not old school, being from Fusion. i suspect that most of us would agree that W3O is old school

Lion
12th December 2005, 05:11 PM
*sigh*
ok, so do you want to change it to ships from the first 3 wipeouts that are not downloadables in pure?
Acceptable:
FEISAR
Auricom
AG Systems
Qirex
Piranha
Assegai

Not Acceptable:
Any team introduced in fusion or pure
Goteki 45
Icaras

should have stuck to the original idea of qirex only :\

lunar
12th December 2005, 05:20 PM
In that case I might choose Assegai for this Flash challenge. With a big pack, racing close together, getting the best start you can might be essential to avoid getting in trouble ;) I only mentioned Van Uber for the case of our usual Phantom racing, where we use anything we like. :)

Lance
12th December 2005, 06:11 PM
''should have stuck to the original idea of qirex only''
yeah, probably. :)

-- ------

Lion?! rejecting WO3's reborn-in-Pure Icaras? eek. how dare you reject my beloved ship? ;)
[not that i can play on Kai, being PSPless and Pureless. it's just a question of philosophy, ya know?]

Lion
13th December 2005, 04:34 AM
lance: icaras is probaly my favourite ship to fly in pure (US version anyway) but it's a downloadable with stats that should in theory give it a bit of an advantage
I say in theory because really it does boil back down to pilot for the most part

Viso
13th December 2005, 06:07 AM
I'd love to join in. I bought a spiffy Linksys router over the weekend just so I could try out Wipeout over Kai with the help of DD-WRT. I haven't had a chance to play using Kai yet. Since Pure is the only PSP game I have, I'm not getting many chances to try it out and fix any problems.

played on kai? not yet
us or eu ver? us
availability? 0400-0600 on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. 0100-0600 on Sunday and Monday. Hope I got those times right -- I don't often deal with time zones. I may also be able to play earlier in the day while at work next week if the network cooperates. Since I work with students learning how to write their own games, I can get away with it :)
ship preference? Auricom

Sven
13th December 2005, 02:37 PM
Goteki and Icaras were introduced in WO3, and if everyone's flying the same ship, what does it matter if it's a downloadable?

I'd also prefer Rapier to Flash, but that's just me.

lunar
13th December 2005, 06:11 PM
with stats that should in theory give it a bit of an advantage
I say in theory because really it does boil back down to pilot for the most part
Absolutely right. IMO Triakis is potentially slightly faster than Icaras, overall, though the stats would suggest the opposite. The dl ships have great stats, but if you fly them, or look at which ships people choose to use on the ghost site, going for fastest possible times, it`s pretty obvious they`re no better than the "standard" ships. Although stats might suggest it, the zone and medievil ships are not untouchable in time trials. The game`s really very well balanced, and if you pick a ship that suits you, then learn to use it well enough, you can pretty much beat anyone in any other ship with it. If only the old games had had this amazing balance - we should celebrate it. :)

On your challenge - as I`m sure you realise, we`re all missing the point massively ;) How about we just go back to Qirex Flash for some freefire close "special stages", but stick mainly to Phantom (preferably) or Rapier open competition for the most part. IMO that`s the most fun, but I`m quite keen for some Flash warfare. To throw another spanner in the works, I liked your idea of everyone having to use zone or medievil in a Flash tour - loads of eliminations.