PDA

View Full Version : Is Delta League (Europe) worth it?

sabregolly
25th November 2005, 09:11 PM
I have the euro version of wipeout, and have all the downloads.

I have played to phantom gold all the tracks and tournaments, in Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Omega and Classic 1/2 Leagues, and I have grown to hate the Puma teams. I hate them being there. I hate my game being tainted by them.

My last task is to play through the Delta tracks, which I have not even tried yet, and I've been thinking...

Should I just delete the pack? It will rid me of the abominable Puma teams, and I'll never know what I've missed. Or... will I be missing out on some seriously fun trackage? What should I do? What do you think?

SG

Rouni Kenshin#1
25th November 2005, 09:34 PM
i've got us but is say race the tracks and see if you like them and if you do keep them, you can alwasys ignore a ship you don't like. (for me i don't like, but not hate, the Van-Uber)

sabregolly
25th November 2005, 11:08 PM
Van-uber's one of my favorites! OK, so it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, and is thrown of the track if hit by anything bigger than a bird **** - but is good fun to fly. And at least its a real team: albeit from the rather less than excellent Fusion iteration.

Anyway to the Delta Tracks - if I play them, then I have to put in lots of effort to learn them, and then I'm worried I may like them. Then I am condemned to having Puma forever! Are they anything special? If they are not really different from Alpha, Beta and Gamma tracks I can live without them.

Klarth
25th November 2005, 11:19 PM
I really like Puma 1, and Anulpha Pass is a cool track. I say go for it.

eLhabib
26th November 2005, 12:38 AM
I've only seen Iridia and Anulpha Pass so far, but hey, those two tracks are instant classics IMO, I love them. They have a very fast, but still technical track layout, very wide, but also very narrow sections, and some track elements I haven't seen in the other tracks. I'd say go for it!

Seek100
26th November 2005, 01:53 AM
And at least its [Van-Über] a real team: albeit from the rather less than excellent Fusion iteration.

That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, in other words we shouldn't condemn the few good elements from Fusion because the main element was a diabolical failure, I quite like the Van-Über design in pure, not quite as I'd have done it I'll admit, then again all the ideas I had for Van-Über's design before their pure form appeared were much more 'traditional' along the lines of the w'o"-w3o lineage.

On the topic, I can't really complain as I have both U.S. and Euro, though I've recently decided to ditch Euro to get away from all the extra crap (Puma and Omega, allright I don't have to have Omega on there but still).

If you don't have the luxury of the U.S. version I'd say stick with Puma, they are the second least offensive of the extras, the most benign being the limited edition wire05 for the Japanese version as that actually added some decent music to the game aswell as a nice looking (albeit sponsored) ship. the Puma teams are not so great an irritant as, unlike all the Coke and Omega cazzu, they are actually (barely) believable as a team, and the ships look pretty damn cool, especially the second one (if only it had been given a real team :brickwall). Anyway, the only real issue for me was the sullying of the tracks themselves, all the giant Puma billboards are distracting at first. The tracks themselves are truly great, if you are capable of overlooking the ships and adverts they really are some brilliant well laid out courses.

lunar
26th November 2005, 11:20 AM
Delta league is definitely worth it, for the reasons El says above. They are quite different to the style of most of the standard tracks, and demand new techniques to master them. Go for it. If you don`t want to use the Omega packs, and like the game enough to spend the cash, get the US Version. There are no impostor ships in that except for Medievil, and the Delta tracks are unbranded so far. If you do want the Omegas it`s best to stick to Euro, imo, for convenience, though this will mean putting up with the Puma branding, which isn`t always easy to do, and the Omega ships, unless you don`t DL the ship pack. What`s done is done, regarding sponsorship, and although I hate it I`ll just get on with playing the game. I think the quality of the game produced by SL manages to rise above the rubbish bolted onto it by the suits. :) However, that`s only imo and isn`t true for everyone, and the effect for the brands involved will have been negative in many cases.

sabregolly
26th November 2005, 06:49 PM
That's settled then - Delta League tonight!

I don't mind sponsorship if it is in keeping with the style of the game, and I have every respect for what SL have done (I live two miles from Liverpool!) with the game. I wouldn't mind the billboards (I didn't mind the Redbull sponsorship in 2097) - It just the names of the teams sticking out like a sore thumb in the game.

Like watching a good movie on TV, you are immersed in this wonderfully imagined world, then suddenly (always at twice the volume - why do they do that?) there's this bloody person dancing around trying to sell me shampoo. Bugger off! But I don't mind, for example, the Coca-cola billboards in Blade Runner. There it is part of the style of the movie, but if, say, the chief android was called 'Coca Cola' then it would not!

But you've all persuaded me. I've been a fan of Wipeout from the start, but not that big a fan to import the US version :-).

Thanks

SG

lunar
26th November 2005, 07:12 PM
the Delta trackside sponsorship is definitely not in keeping with the style of the game - but you just have to learn to ignore it the best you can, and it`s well worth doing so for the tracks and the challenge. Good choice! Have fun. :)

Seek100
26th November 2005, 08:08 PM
Indeed, the trackside elements are the only ones that will jar, they are far more prevalent than the Red Bull ones, which are very much akin to the Coca-Cola and Atari billboards in Blade Runner that you mentioned. Puma could have done it tastefully, like Red Bull did, but I'm imagining the situation was quite different, Psygnosis were likely able to say enough is enough when it came to the Red Bull stuff, preventing it from getting out of hand, now SL are completely powerless to resist the suits above.

In any case, good choice though sticking with the tracks, it is not so great a fiasco as the Coca-Cola packs for the Japanese version.

Sven
26th November 2005, 08:50 PM
The Deltas so far are especially great in multiplayer, I don't know why you'd want to get rid of them. And it's easy enough to ignore the ship. It doesn't even show up every time, and when it does, it's on screen for, what, 10, 20 seconds per race? And if you still really really hate it, spend some time stalking it with Plasmas & such, venting your frustration with corporate advertising. I don't see how that could make the Deltas not worthwhile.

sabregolly
26th November 2005, 09:16 PM
Bloody Hell! You are not joking...

I have just played through the Delta tracks in Vector (Those golds - gotta catch em all!) and I don't think there was a single frame which didn't have a puma ad on it. It really ruins it - even more than I thought it might. I can't believe that even a 14 year old sports wear enthusiast (or ned, chav, scallie or whatever term of endearment you prefer) wouldn't be put off by this.

I know that in Vector you don't get anywhere near the real flavour of the tracks, but I my initial thought was how more like fusion tracks they were, rather than wo2097 or wo3 tracks. Nothing special so far, but I was dead chuffed when I got on the mezzanine-like upper track on Anulpha Pass on my last lap. Then I hit a bomb that some arse had dropped on it. I bet it was a puma bastard.

I'll play a bit more and see if they grow on me, but I am worried that I might end up walking into JJB's in a trance...

Distrupto
27th November 2005, 09:29 AM
I don't know about the Delta tracks, but the ships r pretty much impostrous. Luckily(well, not really) I only have to deal with that single pest Medievil here in Asia, but having imposters with more than one point in shields is pretty bad. If u cant ignore them, destroy them. I dont find the Omega ships that bad but for all those who do, u might end up with a grid lineup in which infornt of you, r Puma 1, Puma 2, Medevil, Turboweevil, Haironaut, Klor and Cardracer. Thank goodness that Zone never enters as an AI.:pirate

sabregolly
27th November 2005, 05:39 PM
It's gone. Sorry people - but I've deleted my Delta Pack. My Wipeout Pure experience will never again be tainted by corporate evilness.

None of the delta tracks made me go 'Wow' the way many tracks in the other packs did. But, perhaps I approached it with the wrong attitude - perhaps I wanted to hate the tracks, so I could justify removing the pack. We might never know.

I'll will never tire of playing descension league on Phantom, and I played 2097 and wo3 to death, and they each only had eight (proper) tracks. I suppose we Europeans are spoiled for choice by having the Omega pack and all the classic tracks and so can be choosy.

Perhaps one day I'll download it again, especially if supposing the sponsorship deal runs out and it is re-released without it. But not today.

Thanks for all your comments on this difficult decision!

SG

Rouni Kenshin#1
27th November 2005, 09:44 PM
Turboweevil, Haironaut, Klor and Cardracer?:? :?

what teams are those (i have US version)

sabregolly
27th November 2005, 11:57 PM
They are part of the Omega downloads. Fortunately, Omega is split into a track download and a team download, so if you only want the tracks, like myself, you can delete the teams.

Distrupto
28th November 2005, 01:23 PM
Turboweevil, Haironaut, Klor and Cardracer?:? :?

what teams are those (i have US version)

They r the teams downloaded from the Omega Pack. Turboweevil and Haironaut share the same airframe but have different liverly and stats, and same goes for Cardracer and Klor.Turboweevil originates from Burgertown, Haironaut from Paris Hair, Cardracer from Card City and Klor from Klan.;)

Seek100
28th November 2005, 01:34 PM
Cardracer and Klor are in fact the 2097 AG-5Y5 ship, with the cockpit from the w3o Piranha. I would have preffered it if AG-5Y5 had looked like that. Same with Qirex and the Puma 2 ship.