PDA

View Full Version : Comming back to pure

Rouni Kenshin#1
23rd November 2005, 11:07 PM
A while ago i got Burnout Legends for my psp and as i do with most new game i play nothing but it for about 3 weeks. So few days ago when i went back to pure i had to train to regain my old edge and after 2 days i am still not quite there. How do any of you "train" and has this happened to you? There is just something that i have missed in my review and it keeps me from being the best that i can be.:frown:

ps-@lance(the new boards have spell check):)

Lance
24th November 2005, 12:56 AM
i'm glad they don't have grammar check. i wish the spell check were eliminated.

G0rT
24th November 2005, 02:33 AM
I had the same problem comming back from Battle Front II and going back to Pure, as the control sceme for both games is worlds apart. But as for getting back into the swing of things all I did was follow some of my old ghosts on Alupha Pass (for standard ship control and barrel roll timing) and on Citta Nuova (for airbrakes) until I beat my old ghosts a few times. Now I am definately back into Pure and my times, and skills, have never been better!

Dominator
24th November 2005, 02:35 AM
Same with me Rouni, had a 2 week break from Pure and boy was i rusty upon playing again, took at least a day to get back into it.
The same can be said for previous installments of wipEout, especially the original, it may be eons ago when i played it but i do remember taking a break from the game and being really really crap when returning to it!!
I guess lots and lots of practice with Pure, reconnecting with your beloved AG Craft, knowing every circuit's sharp corners and shicanes, knowing the best racing line for each, feel, don't think, your way around the track, sorta works for me.
:D

Task
24th November 2005, 02:58 AM
ps-@lance(the new boards have spell check):)

And yet the really hilarious part is that "comming" isn't a word!
I guess the spell check doesn't work in the Title section.
Technology. At the very least, it's entertaining! 8 D

Sven
24th November 2005, 01:45 PM
I'm usually pretty good at retaining my skill. Basically, I only have trouble when I've played a different driving game for a while, and even then it only takes me a few races to get back in the groove. The thing is, playing Battlefront for example, puts me in a completely different mode than playing Wipeout, but other driving games use the same mode, so it confuses my controls...

Rouni Kenshin#1
24th November 2005, 02:29 PM
yeah it was really anoying when i tried to use the square button to brake before i went into the turn and hit the R button to boost in pure :bomb

(ps i have noticed differnet colored balls next to our usernams when we post. What do they mean?)

Lance
24th November 2005, 02:44 PM
they show whether you're logged in or not

lunar
24th November 2005, 03:42 PM
the only game switching problem I`ve noticed since having Pure is going to the other wipeout games and finding myself trying to absorb weapons. :paperbag

I`ve never really been away from Pure, though I have been away from the faster classes when I got my euro version and got all the golds all over again: after "racing" ;) my way through the slow classes my rapier/phantom skills had gone and I had to relearn the speed. Now I only race phantom, ever, because using the slower classes teaches me different timing and harms my piloting. Pure is different to the other games in this way. On the older games the ships handled pretty much the same, afaict, on different speed classes. The speed changed, of course, but the basic turning ability did not, or not by much. I could race vector then phantom without any problem.

In the case of Pure, the handling of ships changes drastically between classes, so you not only have to learn to change your timing to the new speed when "upgrading" classes, your timing is also affected by the radical change in handling. In 2097 I can switch classes without it having much effect on my ability, but in Pure I find if I want to do well at Phantom I have to stick to it too. There`s also the matter that barrel roll strategies and sideshift uses can change quite radically between classes at times, and with 28 tracks it`s difficult to remember the best strategies and lines for all of them at all speeds.

So I`d say don`t ever play a class slower than the one you want to concentrate on, although you can play a faster one and gain an advantage, imo. The best way to train for Rapier is by flying Phantom, I think. Although there are significant differences and some disadvantages to this, such as having to use different lines, sideshifts, braking points and barrel roll strategies, for me this is more than outweighed by the fact that on Rapier you can enjoy a kind of bullet time effect and it seems overall extremely manageable after racing Phantom.

Switching games overall I don`t have a problem with - only when the games are very similar and you press the wrong buttons, but this disapears after a short while.

Distrupto
25th November 2005, 10:26 AM
I think the best way to return to Pure after a long break is to go on a free play and race ur ghosts until u beat em. This always works for me, since it gets u back on ur racing lines, unlike racing against AIs, where they lob weapons at u instead. Ghosts r also harder to beat than AIs r, it once took me 69 laps to beat a ghost ship.

Drakkenmensch
25th November 2005, 10:27 AM
Rusting over is a pilot's worst nightmare ;)

Jittery-Joe
25th November 2005, 04:19 PM
This happened to me breifly after I got GTA: Liberty City [and the rest...], which has an annoyingly long title when compared to it's forebearers. I still dable in Pure every now and then, mind...