PDA

View Full Version : a slight bug?

Choad
11th November 2005, 07:54 PM
have you noticed that rockets fire in the direction the ship is travelling, not the direction it is facing?

when you try and shoot someone and you're turning a corner you always shoot well wide of the mark, it follows the line your ship was going, not the direction its facing....

at least thats how it seems to me. i rekon they accidentally used the wrong variable for the rockets direction and didnt notice it because most of the time it doesnt show (the ship generally travells in the direction it is facing)

anyone else noticed this?

eLhabib
11th November 2005, 10:52 PM
yes. the rockets seem to be affected by the inertial movement of your ship. same with the diruptor, btw.

Drakkenmensch
11th November 2005, 10:54 PM
That's a good thing to keep in mind when you're trying to fry your opponent while handling a long soft turn.

Task
12th November 2005, 03:29 AM
Actually, that sounds like the sign of a good physics model.
Anything fired from a moving frame of reference should begin with the movement vector of the launch platform and adjust with its own acceleration.

The fact that you're expecting something else likely means that you've grown used to crappy physics engines. 8 )

Choad
12th November 2005, 01:08 PM
possibly. the effect seems too strong tho.

Daylight
12th November 2005, 02:51 PM
The effect is too strong. Once i had missiles firing out the side of my ship. A bit odd if you ask me. What should happen is that the missiles fire out of the front to the ship but travel slightly sideways because of the inertia of the ship as it turns. In the end the weapons would travel diagonally and not forwards or sideways.

username
16th November 2005, 10:03 AM
that is why i always fire rockets on straights

SilentShadow13
21st November 2005, 07:23 PM
I use them in turns. Ram your nose right into an enemy ship and blast it with all three, I call that technique "Shotguning." It send them right into the wall, slows them down, and clears the track for you to get by. I have never noticed this "Side-Shot" effect before, I'll have to look for it.