PDA

View Full Version : the hell is this?!

Pom
8th November 2005, 05:28 PM
Can someone tell me why I've had 2097 since launch, and yet today I notice the Qirex has a Piranha logo on it. The colour scheme never concerned me. I figured they just ****ing the the scheme. But the logo.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004TOCT.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Uh-huh.

Shem
8th November 2005, 05:36 PM
piranha was also an airbrakes manufacturer for many teams. I'm not sure about 2097 Qirex, but you can sure check W'Q" manual for ship spec for the proof.

Drakkenmensch
8th November 2005, 06:37 PM
That would also explain the amount of "Feed Me" ads along the track while Piranha remains a secret team until you beat the Piranha Challenge :D

Seek100
8th November 2005, 07:50 PM
Those weren't the final versions of the meshes, I have no idea why the Qirex has Piranha branding, but if you check out the intro movie not only is the Qirex purple (with what appear to be green/yellow markings !?) but also the Feisar has numerous minor detail changes from that one used in the box/manual art.

Actually in the original w'o" the airbrakes manufacturer was called 'Pirhana' anticipating the spelling mistake we were treated to in w3o when the racing team changed name for one game, though we can assume both are the same company.

Ajescent
8th November 2005, 08:01 PM
i think the airbrakes company story is the most accurate, I remember reading somewhere that Pihrana (sp) made things for the others and got bored with that so they started work on the perfect ship, taking what they know from the others to build the perfect ship and thus team Pihrana (it would be easier if i just went to www.dictionary.com) was born...that would explain their logos appearing on ships belonging to others.

Lance
8th November 2005, 08:07 PM
hm... so the Pirhana spelling happened even before the series was sent to the Leeds studio for design of WO3? very interesting. i'd always thought it happened At Leeds.

Seek100
9th November 2005, 01:12 AM
As far as I'm aware, in the interview on this site, the Psy Leeds guy said they didn't even know they'd made a mistake, so either 1 they saw a copy of the wipEout manual and thought that was the team name and used it, or 2 they honestly had no idea and just couldn't spell, or look in a dictionary, or even just look at the previous game. I dunno which is more unlikely but we can retcon that name change from Pirhana in wipEout to Piranha in 2097 then back to Pirhana for w3o and finally back to Piranha for Fusion as either never having happened, i.e. we simply ignore the Pirhana spelling and say it never existed, or we take it that the CEOs really liked changing the name around once in a while for a laugh.

Ajescent
9th November 2005, 01:24 AM
hm... so the Pirhana spelling happened even before the series was sent to the Leeds studio for design of WO3? very interesting. i'd always thought it happened At Leeds.

umm no, that was me never being able to spell Piranha correctly, its how i pronouce it that confuses me (pirhana)

Lance
9th November 2005, 02:03 AM
i was referring to this remark by Seek100:
''Actually in the original w'o" the airbrakes manufacturer was called 'Pirhana' anticipating the spelling mistake we were treated to in w3o when the racing team changed name for one game, though we can assume both are the same company.''

Ajescent
9th November 2005, 12:25 PM
ah ok :)

Distrupto
9th November 2005, 01:07 PM
This must have been because the boxart designer cant tell the difference between a Qirex and a Piranha. :roll:

Shem
9th November 2005, 04:12 PM
oh, i'm sure he can. There's the Qirex logo on the other side of the ship.

Seek100
9th November 2005, 05:20 PM
It's nothing to do with the box-art designer, Lee Carus AFAIK made the high-res models used in the cinematics for at least the first 2 games and his Feisar appears modified in the w3o intro aswell, dunno who did those cinematics though, the other ships don't look as high-detail as the Feisar.

Anyway he clearly went through several versions of making the new render models for 2097 as you can see there are structural differences between the Feisar on the front cover and the Feisar on the back of the manual (the latter has the wipEout 1 twin engines and raised wings along with the old hazard markings - which I assume are a visual version of the 'no-step' markings on modern planes) Then the intro version changes the markings from the front cover version again, those silly arrows are absent and I think the hazard markings change again.

The same is true of the Qirex, obviously at one point they must have intended it to be Piranha sponsored or something so he made the model based off that, then he was told it should be purple, so he modified it for the game intro giving it the odd purple with greenish splotches livery we see there.

P.S. speaking of the render models, does anyone know of pictures of the Auricom and AG-5Y5 models that appear as the title screen flashes past. I dunno if there was a Piranha one done, but I have definetly seen the other 2 and the wipEout64 cover has the Feisar and AG-5Y5 models so that one definetly exists in high-res form, just a shame it's a bit of a crummy picture of it.

Asayyeah
9th November 2005, 07:46 PM
that's ' pirahna ' for me
But who cares :D

Lance
9th November 2005, 08:38 PM
the correct English [and American ] language spelling is piranha

Seek100
9th November 2005, 11:30 PM
Indeed, that is the correct English English spelling, the Spanish is piraƱa, I have no idea what the Brazillian is but assume it's either the same as the Spanish or the English version, anyone from Brazil here who can clear that up?

Ajescent
9th November 2005, 11:59 PM
don't they speak porteguese in Brazil? So what ever it is in porteguese it should be in Brazil... www.freetranslations.com should know.

Seek100
10th November 2005, 01:46 AM
No they speak Brazillian Portuguese, as we established in the Frappr thread numerous words are either spelt different or are different from each other.

There's a widespread misconception, I have found, that people expect a language to be spoken uniformly everywhere. Look at English, the Americans (U.S.) speak it differently, spell it differently and pronounce it differently to people in England. English in England varies even more than American English does.

For that reason I didn't want to use a standard Portuguese translator in case this was an instance when there was variation.

Lance
10th November 2005, 02:32 AM
i guess since this topic is ''the hell is this?!'', we are right on topic! :D

eLhabib
10th November 2005, 11:10 AM
*GRINS*