PDA

View Full Version : The deflector shield in Wip3out

snorr1
8th November 2005, 05:25 PM
Who gets damaged if your deflector shield is up and

(a) you run over enemy mines ?
(b) you are hit with a rocket or missile ?
(c) you are hit by an earthquake ?
(d) you bump into the wall or an enemy ship?

Lastly and off-topic, is it possible to fire rockets or missiles behind you?

Jittery-Joe
8th November 2005, 06:03 PM
a) Dunno (never payed that much attention)
b)They deflect (as in Defelector sheild, see?) off in a random direction
c)As far as I know, Nothing (Quake is bloody powerful) and for the record, same with plasma :evil:
d) I think the damage gets transfered to whatever you hit
Then again, a, c and d could be all lies...
and your last point: Not without doing a 180 turn

Drakkenmensch
8th November 2005, 06:41 PM
As far as I know:

a) you still take damage from mines, experienced it, reflector is useless there.
b) back to sender, bay-bee! Woo!
c) AI players do NOT have access to quake, mercifully, though in multiplayer that remains a concern - asayyeah or Mano could tell us if they know?
d) you stilll take damage - the reflector is only for weapon fire, you need a shield to resist those.

What I really wonder here is whether you have to activate the reflector BEFORE the shot is fired or not. The FAQs I read say you have to put it up when you hear "Wah-ning" from the announcer, but in the same breath warn you to "never use energy drain on an opponent with the reflector on", which hints that the timing of it is irrelevant as long as it's up.

Opinions?

infoxicated
8th November 2005, 06:41 PM
The deflector shield is a curious power up - there is a bit of an explanation of its abilities in an interview with Scott Naylor (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=86) in the features area of the site.

I only usually make use of it if there are other ships close behind me, but I'd prefer a shield over it in any case. :)

snorr1
9th November 2005, 02:22 AM
The Scott Taylor interview was a great read; I was surprised to read wallscraping boosts your speed. (Can it boost your vehicle over your vehicle's maximum speed? Can anything do that?). He refers to the cloak powerup and goes on to say "you can devistate [sic] other craft if you drive directly through them in cloak engaged status". (This sounds wrong - can anyone confirm this?) There is no reference to the deflector shield.

Drakkenmensch
9th November 2005, 02:35 AM
I've managed to do the wall scrape boost a handful of times. So few times that you could count it on the fingers of one hand if you were a really clumsy shop teachers :lol: But it really does work, and the speed is quite noticeable!

Another useful tip to remember - when you run over a speed pad, click an airbrake (either one) - you'll DOUBLE the effect of the pad!

username
9th November 2005, 09:57 AM
i find that it only deflects rockets and missiles, it also stops energy drains but does not deflect them.
i still get hurt from:
wall collisions, craft collisions, plasmas, quakes, mines

Ajescent
9th November 2005, 12:30 PM
well, plasma and quakes are there to keep pilots on their toes so you wouldn't get complacant even if you are shielded to the teeth

username
9th November 2005, 12:42 PM
guess so, but i dont think that the manual should say deflects ALL attacks.

Lance
9th November 2005, 03:20 PM
you'll find that the wallscrape speed boost [we usually just call it the 'scrape turbo'] can be very hard to control, and often results in crashing. the faster the racing class, the more difficult it is.

Distrupto
9th November 2005, 03:34 PM
What is a "scrape turbo"? Ive heard of speed-pad boosts, turbo powerup turbo start and barrel-roll boost, but how can u possibly get a turbo by scraping a wall? Just curious. :wink:

Drakkenmensch
9th November 2005, 03:45 PM
The scrape turbo is precisely that - you scrape the wall on your side (or depending on timing in a turn, with the rear of your ship) and then hit the airbrake on the opposite side to get away from the wall. For instance, you scrape a wall with the left side of your ship and then hit the right airbrake, which swings your exhaust in contact with the wall, turning into a makeshift space shuttle launching platform, giving your ship a noticeable burst of speed.

It's VERY HARD to do, but will blast your performance into the stratosphere when you learn to do it at will (I'm far from being there yet)

Lance
9th November 2005, 04:16 PM
you don't even have to use the brakes to do it

Asayyeah
9th November 2005, 08:11 PM
But if you want to recreate the perfect condition to use it everytime or everywhere , you should use what Drakk said above.
That's what i have noticed when i play W30 on low classes : it's possible to master it and use it as a new line ( not a perfect one but really faster)

Distrupto
10th November 2005, 05:20 AM
I get it, its like building pressure and then blasting off. Can u do it in Pure and 2097 too?

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 10:03 AM
I tried but haven't been able to reproduce that in Pure so far. Let us know if you succeed!

eLhabib
10th November 2005, 11:12 AM
It does not work in purE. At least with an Assegai it doesn't. I have tried on several occasions, no success. Same with speedpad-clicking, no effect. I figure that's because of purE's all-new physics engine.

username
10th November 2005, 12:23 PM
just thought that i would point out that in wipeout(the original) if two ships scrape togeather for a little while you get a MASSIVE turbo. however you often loose control and go into the wall!

Asayyeah
10th November 2005, 12:44 PM
For the 2097/XL , it works but you don't get a massive turbo , just few kph more.
Ive based most of my lines on that cool scraping technique
At least scraping is less dangerous than in W30 so you perform it everywhere safely

username
10th November 2005, 12:48 PM
yes- NEVER scrape turbo in wipeout 3, if yoiu do you might as well declare yourself last before the race even begins :lol: