PDA

View Full Version : omega pack - childish designs

pvdracer
2nd November 2005, 10:39 AM
i know it's all down to personal preferences, but i think that the first 3 omega tracks are awful, with all those "fluffy" colours.

i thought wipeout was supposed to be trendy.
the tracks are bubbly kindergarten material

Drakkenmensch
2nd November 2005, 11:51 AM
The Burgertown track may seem childish, but it totally creeps me out. Reminds me of the nightmares I used to have as a child. Seriously.

Parishair, though, it's like a wild dream. I keep expecting cartoon versions of John, Paul, George and Ringo to appear and go "Jolly good show, mate!"

Lance
2nd November 2005, 02:06 PM
i would kinda hope for Pepe Le Pew

lunar
2nd November 2005, 02:57 PM
When I heard the tracks would be made by leading modern artists I must admit I was really hoping for an AG Micromachines race through Tracey Emin`s bedroom. "Watch out for that sticky patch of unidentifiable yellow stuff...... ooooh just missed the syringe......."

I don`t think these tracks are meant to be taken too seriously. We already have serious, cool design in the rest of the game. It`s just a trippy, witty, fun way to finish off the Pure experience. It`s personal taste, as you say, but to me they seem to capture some elements of the wipeout Zen quite beautifully. There are some wild tricks and jokes in the track design too - things we might not like to see in "standard" tracks but which are great fun. I just see it as a bunch of talented people given free reign to entertain us - and it does very well. The ships are good fun too, and they don`t seem to appear as AI ships in the main game so what`s to worry about? I wouldn`t want a whole game like this, but as it is this pack is wild and amazing.

Mobius
2nd November 2005, 03:09 PM
Isn't cardcity run set in a almost Micromachines environment?

Dogg Thang
2nd November 2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah I think Lunar has got the intention of these tracks down perfectly. Burgerland is a fun and playful track. It's my least favourite out of the Omega tracks but I appreciate what it is. These are not very "Wipeout" tracks. If they were, there would almost be no point in what they were doing. This is a set of designers expressing themselves through Wipeout.

I think it's a great experiment and love the results.

Dominator
2nd November 2005, 08:38 PM
I was somewhat shocked at first glance, kinda reminded me of a game i played years ago "Weird Dreams" i think it was called? but then began to really appreciate the wackiness of it all :lol: The designers got really really creative, alot of love gone into this pack imo, i for one love it's originality, great work Studio Liverpool :clap
Only hope for more in the near future, please :D

Drakkenmensch
2nd November 2005, 09:30 PM
The ships are good fun too, and they don`t seem to appear as AI ships in the main game so what`s to worry about?
I've seen those ship turn up in regular races myself, though for some bizarre reason, I have yet to see Zone show up even once ever since I started this new Triakis-only profile and unlocked the Zone ship.

eLhabib
2nd November 2005, 09:45 PM
looks like zones are afraid of triakis :D

lunar
2nd November 2005, 10:11 PM
Zone never turns up as an AI ship, does it? At least I`ve never seen it in my euro or us versions.

Sadly, you are right about the Omega ships, Drak, though it doesn`t spoil the game anymore than Medievil and Puma already did. Let`s hope that with the next game we get only real AG Teams in AG Leagues. I think this is really important to keep the franchise credibility. How would F1 fans feel if they were lining up in their favourite team`s car against Ferrari, Williams, Renault, Bogweevel and Haironaut? None too happy I imagine. Well, as a simulation of a futuristic sport Wipeout should be taken no less seriously. Otherwise why bother with real teams? Might as well just turn it into yet another futuristic wacky races game and watch it go under.

Anyway, what`s done is done, it`s still a magic game and I always have my US version for real AG Racing, complete with lovely unbranded Delta packs. :D

bakkufu
2nd November 2005, 10:17 PM
it would be nice if you could, like the music, turn off downloaded teams for tournaments.

lunar
2nd November 2005, 10:22 PM
it would be useful. Either that or turn off "not real" teams rather than downloaded ones. Otherwise we would have to lose the Goteki, VanUber, Tigron and Icaras. Personally I`d rather not have the "bonus" ships at all, except on tracks where they fit in, like the Omegas. But a switch would be a good solution if people wanted to keep the option, and it would be a lot better than what we have.

Dominator
2nd November 2005, 10:27 PM
With you on that one Lunar, i too would like to see only the real AG Teams in the next wipEout installment, preferably (imo) teams from the first three WO's :)
I also can't remember seeing Zone in any single/tournament race, wish i could say the same for Medievil and Puma ships, though they do make for good cannon fodder :evilgrin
Wish the Omega ships didn't show up on other circuits, guess i'll have to teach them a lesson too :evilgrin

Distrupto
3rd November 2005, 06:41 AM
It seems the Omega ships dont stay in there hometowns and like to invade other places. Zone doesnt appear in races cuz its owned by the FX-300 Foundation for Zone runs, not racing in the leagues. Thats y it never appears unless u select it for urself. Thats also y it has no shields, it wasnt meant to. But I dunno how Medevil got there.

Can someone pleeeeeeeeezzzzzzz post a pic or video of the Omega ships. Oh, yeah, and Dominator, ull have a lot of attacking to do if u wanna kill the Omega ships, especially after Flash wen the AI absorbs its weapons a millisecond after getting a hit from a Plasma..

Dominator
3rd November 2005, 08:23 PM
The harder the better Distrupto, makes for a better pilot, as they say "practice makes perfect" :) As much as i dislike seeing Omega ships in other leagues, bring em on :twisted: :evilgrin

Distrupto
4th November 2005, 04:42 AM
An Elimination mode is wat u need if ur gonna try killing ships with shield 4, taking fire from them AND attempting to get Gold from it.. :wink: