PDA

View Full Version : Small idea I had (tutorial mode)

Hellfire_WZ
2nd November 2005, 10:20 AM
I've seen quite a few people being put off of the Wipeout series because they haven't been able to fully grasp the handling system. Would it be an idea to include some sort of video tutorial to using the various features of the craft? I'm talking about stuff like airbrakes and sideshift techniques (using Pure as an example here). I'd draw the line at a full interactive training feature as I still think the majority of the learning procedure should be down to the individual pilot, but maybe a series of short video tutorials would be able to give some sort of idea of how to go about it to those who can't pick it up as quickly as we can.

username
2nd November 2005, 10:58 AM
thats an interesting idea

Drakkenmensch
2nd November 2005, 11:48 AM
Ah yes, sort of like what you see on arcade machines when nobody is playing. Something like a racer following the track, with the action going on pause just before the ship taking a special action and the instructions on how to perform it appearing on screen along with animated buttons showing how it's done.

I can totally see that. Excellent idea!

eLhabib
2nd November 2005, 12:07 PM
well the main problem here is that most people who are having trouble with purE haven't even read the manual. Barrel rolls, sideshift, absorbing, airbrakes, it's all written there, and still you meet people on xLink who haven't the slightest clue about those features, and then they explode on lap 2 because their zone ship took too much wall damage... *sigh*

but yes, a tutorial video would certainly help. you'd need a psp2tv adaptor and some serious pc-video-editing, though. (sounds like a job for Arnaud :D )

Distrupto
2nd November 2005, 01:00 PM
and still you meet people on xLink who haven't the slightest clue about those features, and then they explode on lap 2 because their zone ship took too much wall damage... *sigh*

If they dont know, airbrake, sideshift, barrel-roll, absorbing, how did they ever unlock Zone?

Anyway, nice idea Hellfire. Many ppl dont get the hang of controlling an AG. They do need a video tutorial with animated buttons to show them how to control.

Hellfire_WZ
2nd November 2005, 01:16 PM
Perhaps not quite stopping the video to explain what's happening, just a rolling video with some voice-over commentary on the function and the craft demonstrating how it is done. The basic stuff can stay in the manual, like what buttons do what, but how to actually implement these functions effectively could be a part of the tutorials. If there are illuminated buttons, I think they should be kept to a minimum as well as it would still feel a little too much like the player is being led by the hand.

I've seen it done in a few other games but I can't think off the top of my head. If I find any examples I'll let you know.

Dominator
2nd November 2005, 08:55 PM
A brilliant idea for players new to wipEout :)

bakkufu
2nd November 2005, 09:00 PM
Kind of like the Gran Turismo licences where they train you to use certain controls?

Mano
2nd November 2005, 09:48 PM
Nice, i liked the way mechwarrior3 managed the tutorial, voice on the headset guiding you through the control tower, open field, pretty much play as you wish with little objectives. Second training would be craft control on a real track i guess. Totally optional of course

Hellfire_WZ
2nd November 2005, 11:22 PM
Kind of like the Gran Turismo licences where they train you to use certain controls?

Not quite. The Gran Turismo licenses actually involved total player control to pass them, I was thinking more on the lines of a video tutorial that the player would watch but have no actual input whatsoever. If we go along the GT licence test path, then I think the player would be hand-led too much. With a simple narrated video, the player would be able to see how to integrate the function, but they would have to practice it during a race/time trial in the same way you'd have to in any of the current Wipeout games. It might encourage those who are a little slower to pick up the handling techniques, but not spoon-feed players to such an extent that it would require next to no practice to advance through the game.

Thruster2097
2nd November 2005, 11:48 PM
The attract screen for super monkey ball.
That's the style you're after!

Yeah, that is a superb idea and it would also be useful to me because I havent got a clue about sisedhift.

Way to go, hope this idea gets turned into reality.