PDA

View Full Version : Why I Sold My PSP, and Other Tales of Interest

element42
26th October 2005, 03:17 PM
Yep, you heard me, I sold it. And Pure. :evilgrin
Why, I hear you all screaming? Well, I can't deny the motivation was slightly financial. But if I actually cared about Pure, the reason I bought the PSP in the first place, I'm sure I would have managed to keep it.
Why did you not care about Pure, I hear you all screaming? Well. Let's see: poor control (PSP physical limitations), poor physics, disruption bolts, corporate sleaze, barrel rolls and sideshift, medievel, most of the soundtrack etc etc. Plus there's my general antipathy towards handheld gaming, I never got on with it (I was hoping Pure would be different...). Multiplayer was fun the few times I played against someone of skill (thanks, eL)... but I got my enjoyment here from playing another living, breathing human (none of my offline friends are WO players :cry: ), rather than from Pure itself.
This is all my opinion I realise, it's clear that in general Pure has been found very popular with the wipeout hardcore :rock_on. But I've decided to stick to my ps1. I've got plenty to do in the tables, especially now that I've got an NTSC ps1 aswell, and one day (oh yes) there will be a UK wipeout meet where I can play you all on iLink. And win. :twisted:

PS: I lied about there being other interesting things.

lunar
26th October 2005, 03:39 PM
where I can play you all on iLink. And win. :twisted:

in ur dreams, matey, in ur dreams. :wink:

Pure wasn`t pure enough for you then. All your criticisms are valid, but it works for me nevertheless and on multiplayer I LOVE it. All we need to find now is a way of tunnelling a PS1 and 2097. It could be possible in theory. Outrageous, implausible theory that is. :)

I had an antipathy to handheld gaming too - but now I love it. All those wires and extra screens with tv consoles are just hassle, but the PSP is "infinity in the palm of my hand", to misquote William Blake (or was it the bad guy in Spiderman 2?)

Distrupto
26th October 2005, 04:00 PM
I bought WO since it was for PSP, not a PSP just to play WO on. Before that, I didnt even know of WO at all! :o

Sumimasen
26th October 2005, 04:01 PM
Hmmm...

The thing is that all the issues you raised with Pure do exist. I just think that as a game, it manages to rise above them, and be far greater than the sum of its parts.

If you found the issues too much to live with, then it's a shame. At least there are other quality W'O" games to be had (and Fusion too :wink: ), but it's still a pity.

A sad tale, to be sure...

:cry:

eLhabib
26th October 2005, 04:43 PM
actually, I do agree with element on some parts. the 'old' wipEouts, especially w3o:SE, give me a lot more fun by themselves than purE. But that's mainly because it's a mixture between retro-feeling, and having a wipEout for each mood to play, seeing as the 3 old games are very different in their 'mood'.

When you take multiplayer into account, though, purE shines as my one_favorite_game right now, and it has been on top of my list for half a year now, which is really something. Add in the excitement of new downloadable tracks still to come, and there is just NO WAY for me to sell purE anytime soon.

Drakkenmensch
26th October 2005, 04:43 PM
There's no denying the existance of the issues you raise, but what it all comes down to in the end is - does the enjoyment you get outweigh the bad?

It does for me, and I love it, though I'm sad it did not you. :cry:

element42
26th October 2005, 04:57 PM
Well, I did enjoy it. For a bit.
Actually, the first time I played it, I wasn't impressed. But that was way back in June. Then I got all excited about online play, and even more excited by the euro PSP release countdown :roll: and for the first month or so it was great, chasing after all those gold medals. But it got dull, like (uh-oh) Fusion did - fun as a game in it's own right, but nothing special and certainly not up to WO standards. IMHO.

eLhabib
26th October 2005, 05:03 PM
:? I have to say, now I certainly disagree. this game is a rightful heir of the AG throne IMO.

Purist
26th October 2005, 05:17 PM
Indeed, everyones entitled to their opinon but theres so much more to come.. Omaga packs and GTA: LCS for starters!!!

I really HAVE got to play this Wip3out SE though!!! :twisted:

element42
26th October 2005, 05:56 PM
this game is a rightful heir of the AG throneAG racing died in 2156 :wink: but this isn't a 'which is the best WO' debate, I'm sure that's been done to death elsewhere.

aesop: ?? :?

Lance
26th October 2005, 07:31 PM
aesop was just being a troll, just as he has in every post for the last two weeks

Dominator
26th October 2005, 10:41 PM
I agree with element to a certain degree, the controls are a bit clumsy in the hands (Give me a ps1/ps2 controller any day) but after a while you do get used to them!!
It is a shame you sold your PSP and Pure, hope you don't regret it later like me, I no longer have my WO, WO2097, WO3SE :cry: Will do anything to get them back :twisted:

infoxicated
27th October 2005, 07:36 AM
I cant say I disagree with the comments about the handling of the craft in Pure. For me Wipeout 3 is still the pinacle of the series as far as that's concerned.

Pure might have more realistic physics, but I feel as if I spend all my time fighting to stop the ship going where it wants to go, rather than fighting to make it go where I want it to go. I'm always tapping side-shift and micro correcting, rather than gliding round a corner the way I expect to.

If Pure had been on a PS2 and had the handling model I favour then, added to the sheer amount of content in the game, it would have been the clear winner in terms of the best of the series. Still, it does fall nicely into second place for me when taken as a complete package and, since I still have a copy of Fusion, Pure is definitely worth hanging on to.

Mobius
27th October 2005, 04:52 PM
i tried to play Wipeout 3SE straight after pure... boy that was werid...

Sausehuhn
27th October 2005, 05:31 PM
I love Pure, but you cannot compare the handling to any other WipEout. Pure's handling is more direct, you can't make looooooooong turn without crashing into a wall (so I can't), curves like one of the last ones at Sebenco Peak I can master, but most of the time I'm crashing more or less in one of the side pannels, bacause when I move to the right or left the ship makes a hard turn.
I like the handling, but the other WipEouts have a much better ones (and that includes Fusion as well in terms of turning into long curves).

Also sideshifting is not really something I like that much. Okay, it's possible to make more different tracks now, but too often it does not work for me, and combined with the realistic touch they gave to Pure it can be a real catastrophe when you craft stops after crashing into a wall and then is moving in the wrong direction and needs a few seconds to accelerate again.

And yes, Pure should have been made for the PS2, because there's no huge need for a portable system for me. Just the fact that I got my PSP 100€ cheaper, the console features a new WipEout (and I looked forward to a new WipEout for round 3 years now, 3 years!!!) was a reason to buy it.
...okay, now I discoverd the good sites of portable gaming (I haaate waiting in a holding area, now it's really enjoyable), so the PSP isn't just an "I bought it for Pure"-console...

Distrupto
28th October 2005, 02:07 PM
U dont have to use airbrakes ALL the time! Without them, long turns r pretty easy. They r only for acute, right angled or hairpin curves. Remember wat Drak sed? they r secondary handling system.

Sausehuhn
28th October 2005, 02:47 PM
maybe the ships turn more because I use the nub (?)

Distrupto
28th October 2005, 02:48 PM
hmm... good point, I wouldnt know the nub, I use the D-pad and it handles fine.

Drakkenmensch
28th October 2005, 02:50 PM
PS: I lied about there being other interesting things.

See, that in itself is an interesting thing - so you lied about lying about there not being any other interesting things :twisted:

Mobius
28th October 2005, 02:54 PM
Nooooo, you've created a paradox there Drak... And you all know what happens to robots when that happens... :P

Drakkenmensch
28th October 2005, 03:04 PM
Everything I say is a lie!

*Normand tries to work out the verbal paradox and shuts down*

Lance
28th October 2005, 07:54 PM
fictional robots may shut down during self-paradoxing, but humans just keep on spouting mutually exclusive statements without ever noticing the impossibilities. that's why they're so much fun!

Drakkenmensch
28th October 2005, 08:55 PM
You just have to love the amazing amount of self-contradictions we use every day with oxymorons alone, like "sweet and sour", "little giant", "jumbo shrimp", "political ethics", "military intelligence" and my favorite one of all, "Microsoft Works"

G0rT
28th October 2005, 09:00 PM
now thats funny! microsoft works, classic 8)

Jittery-Joe
29th October 2005, 03:39 PM
fictional robots may shut down during self-paradoxing, but humans just keep on spouting mutually exclusive statements without ever noticing the impossibilities. that's why they're so much fun!
I believe it's called an oxymoron

Drakkenmensch
29th October 2005, 03:45 PM
Yes, I do believe I pointed that out two posts above yours.

lunar
29th October 2005, 04:34 PM
Strictly speaking, in this case the phrase "Microsoft Works" was a pun, rather than an oxymoron. But it`s still deadly funny. :wink:

Seek100
29th October 2005, 08:16 PM
As were political ethics and military intelligence, for a phrase to be an oxymoron, it's component words have to be antonyms of each other, intelligence would have many antonyms, such as dumb, stupid, etc. but not military, and vice-versa. Political would have apolitical and ethical would have unethical or immoral (not amoral, that's a completely different thing). So both of those have to join Microsoft Works as being puns rather than oxymorons, they're still funny though.

Sumimasen
29th October 2005, 08:22 PM
... accompanied by the sound of windows crashing all around the office...

Lance
29th October 2005, 09:12 PM
dammit, i was gonna make a joke about just plain morons, but there's too many posts between me and the correct position to do it. too bad i had to work today to make up for my hurricanevacation Monday. *sigh*
lost opportunity. you guys got lucky this time. :D

Distrupto
30th October 2005, 06:30 AM
The topic is going waaaay off now, but since there r no real "other tales of interest", I guess there is no topic. :?