PDA

View Full Version : The Zen of WipEout Pure...

cybrpnk
18th October 2005, 08:35 PM
Hey everyone. I'm a long time WipEout fan, but a relatively new poster on these forums. I'd have to say, WIpEout Pure has definitely rekindled my passion for anti-gravity racing and I seriously do hope that Studio Liverpool announce a sequel for Pure and a WipEout for the PS3. In all honesty, this series was what made me choose the Playstation above all other consoles in the first place and it's great to see the series back in form...

Anyway, the zen of WipEout Pure??? Hell yeah. Not to sound like I'm boasting, becuase I'm not, but does anyone else here find that Pure gets a whole lot more easier in the faster levels??? I find it really cool that after awhile, pilots can enter that potential 'zen' state of mind where you don't have to think anymore, just feel, and everything just flows. 800kmh into a hairpin doesn't really worry you anymore, cause in that cool, calm state you just apply a little pressure to the steering, tap the aribrake and whoosh, you're outta there before you can say 'pancakes'. Transcending gravity, speed and adrenaline is just so damn wicked!!!

Damn cool experience that I thought I might share, cause this is one cool game. Thank you Studio Liverpool and keep up the good work....

PS...this may sound a little 'blasphemous' to some forumers here but, Studio Liverpool, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO ROLLCAGE!!!??? That was one cool game too, and has been sorely missed cause the potential for it to become great on the PS2 or even PSP is phenomenal...please think about it...:D

Drakkenmensch
18th October 2005, 08:38 PM
There's definitely a special zen place inside me, where peace cohabits with the speed demon. When I go there, anything is possible, no thinking required. Just a few days ago, while being in that zen state of mind, I heard the sound of chargng lasma behind me, and as the announced called out "Plasma", I didn't have to think. I just sideshifted out of reflex, and the plasma bolt instantly zoomed by, flying through the very spot where I was only half a second before. I went on to win easily.

Purist
18th October 2005, 08:54 PM
hope that Studio Liverpool announce a sequel for Pure and a WipEout for the PS3....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_(game)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/info.jpg

cybrpnk
18th October 2005, 09:00 PM
Aaaaahaha... YEAH!!! Now THAT"S what I'm talking bout... Here's hoping that framerates will be silky smooth with some of the coolest tunes to boot...

edit by Lance: redundant quotation eliminated. read the guidelines

Choad
18th October 2005, 09:55 PM
Anyway, the zen of WipEout Pure??? Hell yeah. Not to sound like I'm boasting, becuase I'm not, but does anyone else here find that Pure gets a whole lot more easier in the faster levels??? I find it really cool that after awhile, pilots can enter that potential 'zen' state of mind where you don't have to think anymore, just feel, and everything just flows. 800kmh into a hairpin doesn't really worry you anymore, cause in that cool, calm state you just apply a little pressure to the steering, tap the aribrake and whoosh, you're outta there before you can say 'pancakes'. Transcending gravity, speed and adrenaline is just so damn wicked!!!

ahhh yeah! thats the sh!t *im* talking about

i know exactly what you mean. its the highest you can get without drugs imo. well theres sex, but thats a different story... edit: ok theres adrenalin sports and skydiving and that, so i revise my hypothesis; its the highest you can get sitting down in your living room with nothing sexual going on and no drugs.... there.... that about covers it :D

zone is the best for it. you cant possibly get gold if you are making consious decisions on wether to turn, you gotta let it all come as a reflex

Megatron42
19th October 2005, 12:46 AM
Zen you say? That's how I am every day ALL THE TIME. I'm not even conscious as I'm posting this!

..."pancakes"... I think I'm going to try saying this as a magic word in the future.

Lance
19th October 2005, 02:21 AM
[is aware of himself writing this post, but was briefly in a zen state when he automatically composed it mentally, and finds those few instants of totally unpremeditated behaviour to have been highly gratifying, in non-zen-state retrospect, of course]

Colin Berry
19th October 2005, 09:38 AM
hope that Studio Liverpool announce a sequel for Pure and a WipEout for the PS3....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_(game)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/info.jpg

hahahahahahahahaha

be nice if someone told us

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaa

Internet speculation rocks !

Oh and Rollcage was not studio Liverpool, it was ATD - Attention to Detail, it was just published by psygnosis.

eLhabib
19th October 2005, 11:21 AM
:lol:

Lance
19th October 2005, 11:57 AM
the people who do the work are always the last to know. ;)

Sausehuhn
19th October 2005, 01:40 PM
@ Colin

eeerm... but there will be a new WipEout for PS3, won't it? I just want a little "yes" and a release year :D

Colin Berry
19th October 2005, 02:14 PM
It would be fair to assume there may be one at some point, I guess

Even if I knew anything concrete I'd be shot for saying.

:)

Drakkenmensch
19th October 2005, 03:18 PM
oh, that's perfectly understood. You're not allowed to say anything, contractual obligations and all that jazz.

*wink*

Rapier Racer
19th October 2005, 11:00 PM
Hmm I don’t know if I’d agree with Pure gets easier at Phantom, I feel my ship handles differently but the AI are just CENSORED

Colin? Anyone, why can’t Sony do the Rollcage games now? ATD's parent collapsed so surely getting the rights wouldn’t be hard, I was under the impression the games sold well. I really want to know why no one picked em up

cybrpnk
20th October 2005, 08:11 AM
Maybe not easier... But your response time begins to get more instinctive...no thinking, just flowing through the track i guess... :D Must admit...haven't made it to Rapier or Phantom yet... The Time Trials on some of the Flash tracks for Gamma are killer!!! You have to parctically fly perfect laps and hit all the boost pads... Hats off to Studio Liverpool though...yes I'm looking your way Colin for giving us some of the coolest track designs yet... Don't have ANY complaint on any of the tracks... Very nice...

And yeah...please please please find a way to bring Rollcage to the next-gen...it was s damn good!!!

Colin Berry
20th October 2005, 10:34 AM
I tested both the Rollcage games and enjoyed them - but I've no idea who has the rights or even if anyone picked them up when ATD went under.

I would imagine whoever bought the studio and rehired the staff (if anyone) also purchased the rights to their games, though I could be very wrong.

No idea to what extent the games were successful, but given the lack of anything Rollcage for so long, I'd guess its a dead franchise, for whatever reason.

Edit
Oh and much of the credit for the track design should go to Karl Jones and Clark Davies, they did the majoroty of them.

kit-yun
23rd October 2005, 07:06 PM
I hope well that WipEout will leave on PS3. Sony without its WipEout, that is not normal. :D
And I would buy it only if WipEout is envisaged. Studio Liverpool in force. It is a dream to play has WipEout Pure, I would like to dream again on an episode next-gen. :wink: I keep hope ... :(

eLhabib
23rd October 2005, 09:32 PM
all hail babelfish :lol:

q_dmc12
15th May 2007, 03:52 PM
Lol, I've seen worse:D

That 'zen' you speak of Orange is curve based, if one doesn't watch it they can fall of the other side;) What I mean is in the beginning when I first started to play pure I was on the up side of the zen curve. After concentrating at least 5 hours/day on pure I had reached the top of the zen curve, however, once you get to phantom....there is nowhere else to go.:frown: When you cease to be challenged you get bored then start analysing ...EVERYTHING - then you think while racing and its all downhill from there.:blarg (you = I)

Such is the case with me, I am at my best when I start a race after at least a 2 week break - after acouple hours (even minutes) I am losing every race, askk arnaud! -- Reason being, I'm bored (I need more speed, that's why I love Zone mode).

seasoned pilot ______
___________ |(guru) .
/ \ veteran | .
n00b / \____ |
/ \(pre-guru)|
___/ \_________|

I added the pre-guru and guru as I do not know what is next (there may be hope)

Dav657
15th May 2007, 06:08 PM
DMC i now know what your talking about. After playing some Rapier mode last night i was thinking to myself " Why am I going so slow?" So upped it to phantom and bingo there we go. Felt nice and smooth. Kinda figure myself somewhere in between Veteran and Pre-Guru.

Also on a side note did anyone notice that Arnuad's top lap time in in Venom is 21:77! How is that possible! Even though i can understand but thats just crazy! So does anyone have a video of this? Just so i can study it ;)

q_dmc12
16th May 2007, 03:51 AM
There, I knew I wasn't crazy :D

Probably not a video of that record but Arnaud does have some videos on his filefront account (http://hosted.filefront.com/asayyeah) of kai acouple months back, still, they're good to study - I got alittle better watching them (studying his tactics :D) -- some records there.

Lance
16th May 2007, 06:25 PM
Wipeout Zen = 3 am + dead tired + midway intoxicated.

q_dmc12
16th May 2007, 07:46 PM
You forgot wipeout:p

Lance
16th May 2007, 09:26 PM
It's already an inextricable part of the equation, fundamental to it, part of the defined relationship. The only example of zen consciousness that I've ever experienced that could be defined in these particular terms, these particular factors. Perhaps for you there have been other such experiences, involving some other game, Soul Calibur, perhaps, in which the relationship could have been expressed with the same summed terms but which equalled Soul Calibur Zen, for example? But for me, it has only been Wipeout Zen.

q_dmc12
16th May 2007, 09:36 PM
:gI know, I'm just getting on your case ;)

Lance
16th May 2007, 09:42 PM
I don't even own one, I use a backpack. :D

il_NIK
17th May 2007, 11:22 AM
seasoned pilot ______
___________ |(guru) .
/ \ veteran | .
n00b / \____ |
/ \(pre-guru)|
___/ \_________|

I added the pre-guru and guru as I do not know what is next (there may be hope)

This is a good performance curve.

Somelike the workload and then lighten (I'm not sure these are the right words) to improve your performance in sports.

On wipeout, for me, this curve is completed in an hour.

Pre-guru phase is a little stop for a glass of water

q_dmc12
17th May 2007, 01:34 PM
For some its easier than others:banzai

Asayyeah
17th May 2007, 09:11 PM
Also on a side note did anyone notice that Arnaud's top lap time in in Venom is 21:77! How is that possible!
Which track are you referring Dav ?

Seems filefront has deleted any of my videos but few are still there.

Dav657
17th May 2007, 10:24 PM
Hmm i thought it was Wipeout Pure>PAL>Time Trial>Lap Times>Karbonis VR. venom. But it is flash instead oops my bad.:frown: still that is an insane time especially in flash. Also i was wondering how you record stuff from you psp? You seem to do it really good.

q_dmc12
17th May 2007, 10:30 PM
PSP2TV - a hardware hack:pc

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2091&highlight=psp2tv

Asayyeah
18th May 2007, 03:06 PM
Dav : flash karbonis quick explanation (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61106&postcount=426)

how am i doing recording videos (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23265#post23265)