PDA

View Full Version : Is this stealing?

Daylight
18th October 2005, 03:01 PM
I was looking around for a nice side view of a feisar craft when i ran into this:

http://feisar.de/content/index_en.html

Is this legal? This site doesnt appear to be related to Wipeout in any way except for the heavy use of official artwork. I hope this guy asked for all the authorizations needed to use copyrighted material as I absolutely hate seeing art getting stolen like that.

Deluxe
18th October 2005, 03:07 PM
You could say the same thing about the craft in the WipeoutZone Forums logo. Or Wipeoutzone design.

However, i agree that it's done poorly, to look like it's his work with no proper credit given.

Drakkenmensch
18th October 2005, 03:10 PM
I seriously doubt that his use of the Wipeout fonts, art style and name "Feisar" are credited or even relevant in any way. I'm sensing a smash and grab of the Wipeout style.

Daylight
18th October 2005, 03:11 PM
that's why I ask :| sure, this site uses some Wipeout artwork but it's still original. That one has very little original artwork in it and it's not even a Wipeout fansite O_O

how much is too much?

Deluxe
18th October 2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-SanJose/7230/wipeout/main.html

Edit: Argh, i posted the wrong link, now i cant find the right one!

You tell me.

infoxicated
18th October 2005, 03:37 PM
You could say the same thing about the craft in the WipeoutZone Forums logo. Or Wipeoutzone design.
Those images were used with permission. Same with all the avatar images - I was given permission to use them. There is a difference, so you could say the same thing, but you'd be wrong.

Deluxe
18th October 2005, 03:45 PM
Oh really? My bad then ^^

Is that written anywhere on the site, just out of curiosity?

Mobius
18th October 2005, 03:50 PM
The post above you. :wink:

infoxicated
18th October 2005, 03:52 PM
No, it isn't.

I'll add it to the "FAQ" if it helps clear things up.

Seek100
19th October 2005, 12:48 PM
Copying the style of wipEout isn't illegal, it's really cheap of that website, but not illegal. What is illegal is the use of the FEISAR team logo from Fusion, and the mentions of the full name (Federal European Industrial Science And Research) plus the F-500 league. That is obviously gonna be copyrighted material and Sony could put a C&D on that site if they're really bothered about it, I doubt they know it exists, I'd have certainly put out a C&D if I were Sony.

Sausehuhn
19th October 2005, 01:53 PM
As long as he don't make any profit with the Feisar-design and the other WipEout designs used on his site, it sould not be a problem, should it?
You could see it as "fan-based". And that's not illegal.
I'm also not sure if "FEISAR" is a real trademark. (Tigron is real firm and it's also used in Fusion for example).

But I'm not an expert in rights and that stuff. So maybe it's wrong.

Seek100
19th October 2005, 02:32 PM
The name FEISAR, specificially referring to the team in wipEout games, the logo and the F-5000 name and logos are DEFINETLY copyrighted, and their use for completely separate purposes - the site in question clearly has no relation to wipEout beyond leeching off the popularity of the name would be outside the bounds of any sort of fair use rules. This is a person using someone elses copyrighted property - the league and team names and logo from wipEout to attract visitors to his/her site.