PDA

View Full Version : Flash Khara Descent TT tip

Drakkenmensch
15th October 2005, 01:22 PM
I've found the timing to do the double barrel roll on Flash Khara Descent WITHOUT using the turbo to give you the lift needed to achieve that. The trick is to take the right split and aim for the speed pad in the middle. You will then take a small drop followed by a bigger one where you can barrel roll. If you succeed doing the BR on that drop, the next drop will also allow you to roll again. Miss the first one, though, and the second one will not work, at which point it's better to just try to grab the double speedpad.

This frees you to use the turbo somewhere else - still trying to figure what's the best spot to use it though.

ADDITIONAL: I just found that if I DO use my turbo just before taking the split, quick finger work actually lets me do THREE barrel rolls - and that allowed me to reduce my best time from 0:29:01 to 0:28:30!!! Bear in mind that my fingers were hurting by that point, and that it took me well over half an hour of lap after lap to get painstakingly from 0:29:82 down to 0:29:01. It only took me a single try with triple barrel roll to do 0:28:30. Draw your own conclusions here ;) All in done Piranha!

Together we can break the tyranny of "I have to use Zone to do the tough time trials"

Piranha Pride!

Seek100
15th October 2005, 04:11 PM
Hardest TT in the game, that I've encountered so far, the rapier one is so easy you'll do it first try but the flash Kara Descent was a nightmare, took me a whole evening of continuous play to just under the time. Coursemost of that was spent waiting for the track to reload after I cocked up one of the barrel rolls on the 4th lap thus completely wasting the whole run.

I think on rapier you should be able to get in about 4 or 5 rolls plus the turbo on that section.

Zebula77
15th October 2005, 06:10 PM
Is that on Rapier or Phantom? The 28 second time I mean.

Edit: Ok, I just saw it was Flash. Hehe, sorry.
I've got a time of 28.25 there. A good hint is to use the boost of the last lap, just as your crossing the goal line. That way, you get two boosts in one lap!

With that hint, plus the double barrel-rolls, I think I can beat that time. :D

*starts a free play on Khara Descent*

eLhabib
15th October 2005, 06:11 PM
:roll: read topic title... flash.

Zebula77
15th October 2005, 06:13 PM
Hehe, I just did. :lol:

Drakkenmensch
15th October 2005, 08:07 PM
... to do the double barrel roll on Flash Khara Descent...

I don't think I could have been any clearer than that, short of underlining "Flash" and making it bold with a double size font and an html blink tag.

Zebula77
15th October 2005, 09:36 PM
Yes, I did see that after a while, as I edited my post. No need to get cheeky.

Lance
15th October 2005, 11:48 PM
i've noticed an increase in antagonistic replies in the past couple of weeks, and most particularly in the last couple of days. i don't know the reason for this, but even if it is moonphase related, i want an end to it. i and the other moderators/administrators are prepared to make that happen. one of the guidelines for these forums is to be considerate of the other members. even if i myself were to antagonise in this way, i should be shot down for it. it is far too easy to try to demean others as a way of assuring ourselves of our own worth, especially if we want to feel superior. neither the newbies nor the veterans among us are perfect humans, but we can damn' well try to be better and to be understanding of each others' mistakes, whether those mistakes are of fact or perception or of behaviour.

my often needed advice to myself has frequently been: ''lighten up.''

eLhabib
16th October 2005, 12:07 PM
you're absolutely right, Lance. I also think the boards have become a bit cheeky in the last couple of weeks (which was probably started off by some new members behaving like total morons a little while ago...). But you are right, this has to end. I'll do my part. :pc

Drakkenmensch
16th October 2005, 12:13 PM
Sorry about that. We'll behave. Or face the wrath of your cat-o-nine-tails.

Mmmmmm leather

Lance
16th October 2005, 02:15 PM
leather is wimpy; i use titanium braid. :D

eLhabib
16th October 2005, 07:54 PM
aww, cut it off you guys, I think I'm gonna be sick :wink:

Egg
16th October 2005, 08:00 PM
Maybe the Coke Packs have got everyone wound up? Come on, they're not that bad :)

Drakkenmensch
16th October 2005, 08:04 PM
It's my personal theory that when the final coke pack is released, the first person to run Wipeout will all the coke packs installed will have his PSP screen crack and the gates of hell will open through it, allowing Satan to step into this world.

eLhabib
16th October 2005, 08:08 PM
and Satan will be wearing denims, a sweaty, dirty tanktop, and a palette of diet coke on his shoulder. :D hey, Lance and Drak should be able to take care of him :wink:

rageagainstgeorge
16th October 2005, 08:10 PM
Great tip for the TT Drakkenmensch! I just got my best result, a total time of 1.54.22 and a fast lap of 26.92. Done in a Pirahna aswell.

Lance
16th October 2005, 08:46 PM
thank you, 'rage...ge' for taking us back on topic

rageagainstgeorge
16th October 2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks Lance, call me rage. I know rageagainstgeorge is a horribly long nickname.

Drakkenmensch
16th October 2005, 10:35 PM
Awesome times, Rage! Glad it helped!

Still working on getting that race time under 1:57:00 myself ;)

Pride.
Power.
Piranha!

rageagainstgeorge
17th October 2005, 09:17 PM
I have a variation on Drak's tip. I find I can only do three laps worth of triple barrel rolls before the shield is really low so on the last lap I boost, go over the first jump and the barrel roll off the second. This keeps high boost on the whole section. Just got a new fastest TT time for this one doing this method, a 1.51.88 in the Icaras.

UPDATE: Okay, a new final lap strategy, you can barrel roll twice to be left with no shield. One tap of the wall after a its all over though.

The full strategy (done in the Icaras, so shield power may vary):

Lap 1: Turbo just before the three successive jumps and then barrel roll after each jump.
Lap 2: Same
Lap 3: Same (shield is now red, warning alarm going)
Lap 4: Turbo same as before but don't barrel roll the first jump only the second and third.

As said above, you will be left with no shield at all so be careful. Also note that this requires 4 perfect laps (at least in the Icaras, might be a different story in the Triakis) as any crashes mean you won't have enough shield power for the last barrel roll.

Drakkenmensch
17th October 2005, 10:15 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip Rage! Will keep that in mind!

Hellfire_WZ
18th October 2005, 08:27 AM
I managed this in a Triakis and I can confirm it does have enough shield to get you through four laps of triple barrel rolling.

Distrupto
18th October 2005, 01:15 PM
Now shield energy getting efected by Barrel-Rolling has a good reason. Now that shield has become a factor in Time-Trial, so long Zone and Medieval! Their pathetic shields will probably last until the second barrel-roll of the second lap with perfect laps. A Piranha or FEISAR could probably manage the last barrel rolls, provided you perfect lap, and an Auricom or Qirex can take some hits too.

Drakkenmensch
18th October 2005, 01:27 PM
Distrupto makes an excellent point here. This all goes into looking beyond the surface appearance of the four basic stats and REALLY learning how to handle your craft with all of the little tricks it can do. Here we see how the Triakis can squeeze more speed out of its massive shield stat by doing much more barrel rolling than the mighty Piranha, compensating the slightly lower speed through piloting skill.

Hellfire_WZ
18th October 2005, 01:29 PM
I've just had another go in the Triakis. I managed to triple barrel roll on every lap and the shield gauge didn't even go into the red (albeit it came very close). That was with only two perfect laps as well. My time was 1:51:88... exactly the same as Rage! :D

BTW, if anyone wants my ghost, I'll upload it to my site later on. Lap time of 26.66s.

Drakkenmensch
18th October 2005, 01:40 PM
Using shield energy to barrel roll is becoming very reminiscent of the Wip3out hyperthrust feature here ;)

Hellfire_WZ
18th October 2005, 01:44 PM
Only thing is you don't have it at the touch of a button, and to be honest I prefer it this way. It just means you can only use it in certain situations. Restricting it like this makes things a lot easier to manage, especially as I've never been very strategically minded when it came to using the hyperthrust! :wink:

Drakkenmensch
18th October 2005, 01:45 PM
It certainly restricts the barrel roll use by adding a skill component. This is NOT a button masher-friendly tool, and we can all be thankful about that. Pure is all about the experience of skill!

Distrupto
18th October 2005, 04:05 PM
That's the spirit of it! Overcoming the weaknesses of ur ship and using experience and skill to make ur ships excelling stats make up for its not-so-good ones. Every stat is important in some way or other and their cannot be a "perfect ship". As an example, a Piranha's horrible handling can be overcome by airbrakes and sideshifting. :wink:

Drakkenmensch
18th October 2005, 04:12 PM
The low handling of the Piranha can actually be useful as it means that you will never have problems with an overly nervous and jumpy ship, and flying through curves with the pitch down runs into a much less wobbly response.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Pride.
Power.
Piranha!

rageagainstgeorge
18th October 2005, 04:54 PM
Thats a spooky coincidence on the time Hellfire. Thanks for testing the TT with the Triakis, I wasn't looking forward to doing that to see if the shield power did make a difference (it's one of the ships I just can't get a good time in).

Disrupto - that's the main reason I progressed onto using a "proper" ship (eg. not Zone or Medievil). I was trying for the Vohl Square TT on Phantom with the Zone ship and I noticed that after about a lap the shield was totally gone! The Icaras doesn't have that much extra shield but it's enough to make a difference.

Distrupto
19th October 2005, 01:58 PM
double of the Zone. good enough.