PDA

View Full Version : Future levels of nonsense (from "QR review at gamespot&

Nick Burcombe
20th September 2002, 11:22 AM
I think the future might turn out to be even greater levels of nonsense :)

n

Synthetic Consciousness
20th September 2002, 12:06 PM
Well, I was reading a news article today about a draft legislation that will order TV stations to drop all analog signals at the end of 2006, and broadcast only in digital. So, people will have no choice but to buy digital TVs. So if nothing else, the future will definately be more expensive. :evil:

AmishRobot
20th September 2002, 08:51 PM
Hell, at the rate we're going, there might not be a future...

Lance
20th September 2002, 10:21 PM
''a news article today about a draft legislation that will order TV stations to drop all analog signals at the end of 2006, and broadcast only in digital''

there would be such huge 'consumer' resistance to this that such a bill is unlikely to even pass by 2006, and would have to set a deadline well past the date of passage. digital tv will likely only be made THE standard when it has become possible to sell little ones for less than 200 U.S. dollars

Synthetic Consciousness
20th September 2002, 11:29 PM
According to the article I read, the broadcasters won't effect the change in signal until 85% of the country is able to recieve the digital signal, and I can't see that happening for a long time, if at all. Even if that does happen, the majority of the population will still be using analog, and the couch potatoes of the nation will stage a revolt.

Synthetic Consciousness
15th October 2005, 01:47 AM
Rather than clutter up the forum with a new post...the signal change date has been bumped up.

[A Senate bill would set a firm deadline of April 2009, according to a draft proposal obtained Friday by The Associated Press. The draft of a House bill would end analog transmissions on Dec. 31, 2008.

In addition to working out a compromise on the date, lawmakers must decide whether to keep a Senate provision calling for the federal government to pay for converter boxes that would allow people who don't have or can't afford a digital TV, or cable or satellite, to continue to receive over-the-air local stations.

The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation is expected to take up the bill Wednesday.]

Task
15th October 2005, 02:07 AM
Rather than have a discussion with no relation to the actual topic, I've created a new topic.

Carry on!

Sausehuhn
15th October 2005, 11:53 AM
So, people will have no choice but to buy digital TVs.
maybe it's the same in english, I don't know, but you just need a receiver not a TV.
And digital receivers aren't that expensice any more.

*thinks about the past where be bought a digital receiver for 140€ (!!!)*

Jittery-Joe
15th October 2005, 04:04 PM
Hell, at the rate we're going, there might not be a future...
Yep, we're all gonna go up in a big mushroom cloud before the end of the century. Atleast that's my verdict anyway.
USA vs. North Korea anyone...?

Drakkenmensch
15th October 2005, 04:08 PM
Actually, smart money says that even IF Kim Jong-Il was nuts enough to give the launch order, he would find himself suddenly dead from a nasty case of seventeen bullets in the back. Somehow, I get the impression that the higher military brass in North Korea are just humouring him as long as he doesn't make any crackpot decisions that could threaten their power.

G0rT
16th October 2005, 04:44 PM
for the safety of the world we live in, lets hope your righ Drak :)