PDA

View Full Version : i miss the loop the loops

Choad
14th October 2005, 01:07 PM
started off with 2097. what a game. then got fusion. less polished but i did love those mad loops!!!

i wish they would bring out a pack with a loop in it. it would make pure the most complete wipeout i reckon :)

also, with the extremely cool new physics engine they have, it would be funny to stop at the top and fall off because of gravity.

speaking of the cool physics in pure, the coolest thing i ever did was coming out of the mountain in sabenco climb with a turbo i was flying out at almost 90 degrees to the track, hit the side of the mountain, skirted all the way along the side of the mountain for the twisty bit and landed a barrel roll after the step down. that was sweet :D

Kansas
14th October 2005, 05:04 PM
I thought the loops were annoying and unnecessary. If you're talking about the stretched out loop where the track curves above the ground, then that's cool...

Jittery-Joe
14th October 2005, 05:04 PM
I personally (dunno 'bout the rest of you) think that the loop-the-loops (along with much of Fusion's additions) detracted from the 'realism' of the WipEout Series.
That and the Physics engine allowed you to stop dead on them without any ill effects... :?

Choad
14th October 2005, 05:08 PM
fairynuff i thought they were really stylin. the one on the first level, i think it was falled florion heights, it was just so cool firing a rocket from a few hundred meters back and seeing it come down the other side just as you were going up and boom it hits someone :D

lunar
14th October 2005, 05:21 PM
I was really disapointed by the loops and flip pads - I don`t know what I expected beforehand, but you couldn`t tell you were upside down anyway, so it was a bit pointless, and not worth sacrificing proper wipeout physics for. That loop on Florion Heights was my nemesis in zone mode though - getting through there at a high zone pumping the brakes to keep in line was a really hairy experience. 8O

Seek100
14th October 2005, 05:50 PM
The problem with a loop the loop is this - what does it look like to an audience member. Answer: a really cool 360 degree flip of the track. But what does it look like to the pilot? Answer: a straight line. That's it. It's quite possibly the most contrived boring piece of track design ever - basically the admition by the Fusion developers that they'd run out of ideas for actual proper track design and had decided instead to just make the tracks as outlandish and 'wacky' as possible, the upside-down sections on Katmoda are the ultimate expression of this creative desert that was the developement of Fusion.

If they ever put loops back in I'm not buying the game, they simply cannot function in a world with any sort of physics which have been a mainstay of wipEout since it's inception.

Jittery-Joe
14th October 2005, 06:03 PM
Also, I fail to see how Loop the loops would work with how I think AG-ships work. If they only push off the ground (hence the floating...) then surely they wouldn't work upside down at all?

Choad
14th October 2005, 06:09 PM
hmm good point. tho if you think about it, with the speeds they are going, you would get a good bit of centrifugal force sticking the ship to the outside of the loop. maybe the loop should be sectioned off unless you are in rapier/phantom class? tho that is sounding more like an idea you might see in fusion lol.

oh well :S

Jittery-Joe
14th October 2005, 06:11 PM
hmm good point. tho if you think about it, with the speeds they are going, you would get a good bit of centrifugal force sticking the ship to the outside of the loop.
but it wouldn't stay there if it stopped, would it?
Huzzah! Another fault found in Fusion...

Megatron42
14th October 2005, 06:39 PM
No ... see, in an ideal Wipeout game that has loops, the loops should be sectioned off unless the song playing at the time is Chemical Bros - Loops of Fury 8)

Choad
14th October 2005, 07:31 PM
but it wouldn't stay there if it stopped, would it?
oh no, i wasnt saying fusion did it realisticly :P

No ... see, in an ideal Wipeout game that has loops, the loops should be sectioned off unless the song playing at the time is Chemical Bros - Loops of Fury
too true

they shud bring out a pack with *all* of the 2097 tunes in it. they were the best!

Sven
14th October 2005, 07:33 PM
I like loops. Although, they were poorly executed in Fusion, because of the physics. If you go play Stuntman or GripShift, you'd see that loops with proper physics are actually a very interesting structure to drive on/through. You need enough speed to get up, you need precise control to stay centered, and coming out of it is really exhilirating. The trouble in Pure would then be weapons. A well placed rocket on a loop would be devastating to the victim...

Other sorts of inversions, like corscrews or loop-type-things that exit in different directions than the entrance, can also be fun.

Drakkenmensch
14th October 2005, 08:33 PM
Problem with a loop is this - what if your speed gets killed by a weapon BEFORE you pass it? How are you supposed to build the momentum to go through? And don't just reply "Well, there could be a bypass around it just in case", because I'll be quick to point out that everybody would just take the bypass at high speed, as it would be a LOT faster than spinning around on that loop.

Mobius
14th October 2005, 08:40 PM
Make the bypass really long winded. :)

Choad
14th October 2005, 08:41 PM
an interesting connundrum, prehaps you could have it so that ummm

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5976/loop8cu.jpg

if you were going slow you could jump the rails, but if you were going fast, you would go flying off the track and it would be easier to just do the loop :)

that could work :)

Drakkenmensch
14th October 2005, 08:43 PM
It'd be easier to just break slightly just as much as needed to give the loop a miss, as that loop is a LOT more distance to go across. Quick accelerators like Assegai and Feisar would laugh at it. And frankly, so would I with my Piranha. Any experienced pilot would EASILY dodge the loop.

fusionfrenzy
14th October 2005, 09:05 PM
But at least it would be an interesting thing to have to do nonetheless. Itd mean you'd have to know the track first, and if you weren't concentrating you could easily fly through it before hitting yourself at your stupidity.

Personally though I thought the loop the loops were cool, but would never want to see them back at the cost of the physics. Bring back Wipeout 3 handling!! :twisted:

Drakkenmensch
14th October 2005, 10:15 PM
I find it pointless to have a long piece of track whose sole point is to avoid taking as it is meant for punishment.

djlucite
15th October 2005, 07:26 AM
Problem with a loop is this - what if your speed gets killed by a weapon BEFORE you pass it?

You could put a crapload of boost pads before/on the loop like some of the longer jumps in Pure...that way even if you're not moving at all it'll give you enough momentum to crest the loop...

Mezevenf
15th October 2005, 09:22 AM
Personally I dont miss loops, but to avoid people jumping between, who says the loops have to be traditional? There could be a large gap in the middle, which would also make piloting the loop more difficult, as you would be slightly turning aswell.

Heres a picture in case I havent really made myself clear (which I dont believe I have).

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/2767/loop0ug.gif

Dogg Thang
15th October 2005, 09:39 AM
Hmmm, I really think that would just be bringing us back to Fusion's physics and I'm pretty sure that was most peoples beiggest problem with Fusion. It certainly was for me.

I think we can save the loops for Sonic the Hedgehog...

Mezevenf
15th October 2005, 09:53 AM
I think we can save the loops for Sonic the Hedgehog...

Now theres something we can all enjoy.

eLhabib
15th October 2005, 11:07 AM
IMO the only way loops could work with purE physics is when you plaster the WHOLE loop with speed pads. the loop should have to be without side rails, so the difficulty lies in following the track without falling off. the loop being fully plastered with speed pads means you can aproach it at any speed, in any speedclass. It would have to be a 'traditional' loop though, seeing as a loop with a gap, as drawn above, wouldn't be possible to execute with real physics.

Mezevenf
15th October 2005, 12:41 PM
It would have to be a 'traditional' loop though, seeing as a loop with a gap, as drawn above, wouldn't be possible to execute with real physics.

Why isnt that kind of loop possible with real physics?

Mobius
15th October 2005, 12:53 PM
You need to have a certain amount of speed to to get up it, and if you lose it your in trouble as you would fall. Anyway, as much as i love the loops and stuff from fusion, if it detracts from the handling, then mabey they shouldnt be in it. Shame...

Anyway, you could have a big rush by having a v turn like citta nuova's, which leads into a verticle drop (or a very steep one...!)

Choad
17th October 2005, 06:40 PM
yeah, i suppose a propper full on cliff drop would just about satisfy my thirst for vertigo. i still rekon loops are doable with pure physics. i mean pure physics are fairly realistinc, and loops are possible in real life, so ya know, "go figure"

Drakkenmensch
17th October 2005, 07:28 PM
Give me a freakin' huge vertigo drop any day, I love those!!!

djlucite
17th October 2005, 10:41 PM
Like the one on that old-school wipEout 1 track...the first track you ever raced...but they nerfed that drop in Pure...it doesn't seem as big and exhilirating anymore...

Seek100
17th October 2005, 10:55 PM
Nah, that's the physics, they nerfed the floatiness, in the original you'd float over the track for ages on venom after that jump, nearly hitting the 'DANGER' sign above the tunnel entrance and slowly gliding back down to track level (on rapier you'd just fly straight through the sign and tunnel roof because there was no collision detection for scenery back then), in pure it's like there's a tether yanking you back to the track too quickly and you've got no airborne control, when you do come off the track like in Citta Nuova you're at the mercy of the fates as to wether you can actually land the damn thing again. In wo 1-3 you had much more control over the craft when very far from the track, which makes sense really as you never 'come off' the track because you're never on it to begin with.

djlucite
18th October 2005, 02:07 AM
I noticed it's a lot less bouncier as well...like after you hit the ground after a jump it's just one sudden jarring impact, but no bounce up and down as if the craft is trying to stabilize...

Dogg Thang
18th October 2005, 08:50 AM
Seek is right - the physics are very different, given a different feel to the courses. But you're right, djlucite, that the altitudes of the classic tracks have taken a hit. They've all been evened off a bit. I would assume that's to take the new physics into account.

Deluxe
18th October 2005, 09:02 AM
I'd have to say that i really do miss one track from Fusion the most ( blasphemy ), I apologise because i suck at remembering track names -

Anyway, there's one in fusion in a very red-ish city/desert scheme with a loop-the-loop in it, and a REALLY huge gliding jump. I have a bit of an air fettish, so that's probably why.

God damn it bring back high-speed smooth corners and air RACE tracks. None of these Left - Right - Left - Right - Little left - Big right - crap. I want my god damn super-fast, super RACE battles.

Mobius
18th October 2005, 10:40 AM
Your thinking of florion heights 3. Arent you?

Deluxe
18th October 2005, 11:06 AM
Yes! Florion Heights! Sorry, i left my copy of Fusion in Australia when i moved to Japan, so I forget these things.

Florin heights would have to be one of my favorite (set) of tracks, for both it's huge jump'ed ness, and the fact that it was a fast-paced, smooth race track, not a weapons / cornering track.

Mobius
18th October 2005, 11:41 AM
I have to admit, that would be a lot of fun at pantom class. :)

element42
18th October 2005, 11:50 AM
at pantom classokay, I know we did the uber-pedant thread a while ago, but that's just funny. :)

The problem with that kind of drop in a 'proper' wipeout is that you'd be able to cut out too much of the lap by staying in the air. But I have to agree, it would be cool to try 8)

Mobius
18th October 2005, 01:45 PM
They would have to have skyscrapers on either side of the jump, lust to make sure you cant cut corners.

Edit: erm, call me dense but i don't understand what's funny about what i've said. Help!

element42
18th October 2005, 02:07 PM
at pantom class. pantom, pant-om... Yeah, I know - grow up :lol:

Lance
18th October 2005, 08:04 PM
i'll hup and i'll pup and i'll blooooo your haus daun