PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Pure questions

Deluxe
10th October 2005, 12:43 PM
Hi there,

I've been a long time reader of Wipeout Zone, and a player of the wipeout series since 2097... err.. the game, not the year.

Anyway, i've recently moved to Tokyo, and a few days ago bought Wipeout Pure and a White Sony PSP, and i have to say, i'm rather pleased with it! I miss some of the tracks of fusion, and the weapons, but the UI and general gameplay is rather nice!

I read in a magazine quite some time ago, that it was possible to create billboards/neonsigns/whatever for Wipeout Pure, and i was wondering whether anyone here has any experience and can tell me what/where to get the software to do so.

I apologise if this has been discussed already, i did a search but didn't find anything relevant, so if it has, my bad!

Cheers, and I look forward to your response,
Deluxe.

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 12:46 PM
There's a lot of softwares that will allow you to create fanmade images (Sausehun's "lightwave diary" thread is a great example of that)

I'm not sure if I understood your post correctly, but if you were asking about how to put them in the actual game, then there's no way to do that yet and no plans on getting that to happen.

Dogg Thang
10th October 2005, 12:46 PM
There was some talk of that very early on but, so far, there is no way to add your own custom billboards or graphics. Would be a nice option though!

Deluxe
10th October 2005, 12:50 PM
Dogg Thang, thanks for replying so quickly.

Argh, that's frustrating! In the article i have they already had the magazine logo on the billboards in the game, and ad screen captures.

Ah well, thanks anyway ^^.

It's a little frustrating to me though, In my apartment i get a solid 4mb/second download speed for free, but there's no WiFi! If i wander down the street to download the packs ( using the free wifi from somewhere or other ) it takes me like 10 minutes to download each.

So far i've downloaded err.. "continue" music pack, and "Gamma pack 1", not bad i might ad. But tomorrow i'll probably go into a starbucks or Excelsior cafe where there's free WiFi and download the other 9 that are waiting for me.

I just need to get a bigger MS due, lol. Can anyone tell me how big all of the download packs so far might be? That way i can decide what size stick i might want. I dont use the PSP for movies or music ( I just my mobile for that ), so it's just for addons and such.

I was thinking probably a 256meg card would do it, what do you think?

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 12:54 PM
If you're only using for savegames and download packs, 256 megs is nice.

But be warned - at 384k a pop, those ghost files will chew up that space rapidly - especially if you do as I did and get imports of the OTHER Pure versions! :wink:

And welcome to the Wipeoutzone forums, by the way!

Deluxe
10th October 2005, 12:57 PM
Yeah, the ghost files are rather large, but i'm purposely not keeping many of them, ghosts annoy me to be honest.

And thanks for the welcome ^^. You're all such a nice bunch of people i figured i should annoy you with my stupid questions.

One thing that i've found about Pure is that there doesnt seem to be enough buttons to control it! lol, I really wish it had just two more shoulder buttons, or even just one button the the back.

Sausehuhn
10th October 2005, 01:03 PM
welcome to the forums, Deluxe! :)

if you've too much money you could buy "PSP2TV", this thing featues a conection from the PSP to your TV and also has an output for a PS2 Controller. And this one has enough buttons... even when I'm not sure if it will be possible to give these buttons a function... :?

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 01:04 PM
Eh, don't sweat it about the number of control buttons. Before you know it, you'll find that these come quite naturally, and you'll be sideshifting with any trouble and finding newer, crazier places to barrel roll. It's all a question of practice.

Deluxe
10th October 2005, 01:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, i'm smooth and talented with the buttons, after only 2 hours of buying the UMD from Sakuraya had i been racing in Rapier class, so that's fine, but i would feel alot more comfortable with different button configuration.

Sausehuhn
10th October 2005, 01:10 PM
@ Drakk

Yeah, you're right... but I still can't handle the sideshift very well. How is this thing meant? To shift from one side to the other? Or to get better around curves??

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 01:29 PM
Sideshift 101:

Sideshift: Doubletap an airbrake to slide from one side to the other in that direction.

It serves not just one, but two purposes.

The first one is to change lanes in a straight section of the track, either to avoid something (a bomb, mines, an opponent in your way) or to go somewhere you want to be (grab a weapon pad without messing up an upcoming turn)

The second one is to help in a turn. In most easy to medium curves, they're not needed, but in some of the hardest turns such as hairpins, they become mandatory. A good example of that is the 180 degree hairpin in Citta Nuova. Even by releasing the gas pedal and using airbrakes, you're still going to end up almost scraping the left wall, which is NOT good considering the upcoming steep long right with a strong left incline that threatens to smash you into the left wall. SO as soon as you're lined up in that line, sideshift to the right, and that gives you the loose you need to not hit the wall.

Another good place to sideshift is the the final deadly chicane of Blue Ridge. Slow down slightly as you approach it after the long easy left curve, and after you do the hard right curve you'll find that you're STILL not lined up properly to the final straight leading to the finish line - a sideshift to the right will not only line you up perfectly to the straight line, but will also fly you over the speed pad. Perfect chicane, better than the autopilot would do it!

Another example is sideshifting in the OPPOSITE direction of the curve. Suppose that you're taking a hard left turn on a sharp corner (such as the first left on Chengou Project) but CATASTROPHE! You anticipate it too much and you're about to ram the inside corner, which would kill your thrust dead! A swift sideshift to the right, done fast enough, could inch you juuuuuuust enough to the right to miss the wall entirely and turn your near-disaster into a brilliant maneuver that lets you overtake a slow turning opponent instead.

Any place where you find that you need a sudden adjustment to one side, whether on a straight line or in a curve, sideshifting is your tool.

Distrupto
10th October 2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah, but there is a problem. The PSP sometimes takes a little while between inputs to recognize it. Such as, if u barrel roll off that first hill in Sebenco Climb, a quick leftrightleft wont give u a boost. But if u give it a left, right and left will work. Similarly a quick left-left airbrake will airbrake, leave the airbrake and airbrake again. U need to give a pretty long left... left for it to sideshift. On the first lefter of Chenghou or Citas 180 right, u will have to know that u r oversteering beforehand to opposite sideshift and NOT lose your thrust. If u dont, a quick leftleft or rightright will simply knock u into the inside wall, then the outside wall and end u the wrong way around. 8O :cold :brickwall Otherwise, its excellant for the Cita 180 right, it gives u a good race line.

By the way, welcome Deluxe! :) :wink:

I know a way to barrel roll in Sol 2, but it takes good timing. There is a short stretch of wall-thing in the first open straight of Sol 2. Hit it at a slightly inside angle, and u will be in the air above the straight and will have enough altitude to barrel roll. When u land, u will get some good speed down the straight and an inside line into the first right corner. If u dont take a slight inside angle into the jump, u will fall off but if u take a steep inside angle, u will have to try and not run off the other side. :wink:

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 03:44 PM
Well, if your PSP is having trouble recognizing quick sequences of inputs, not much I can do there...

lunar
10th October 2005, 03:50 PM
The more you play the easier it gets. At first it can seem the control system is flawed, it did to me, but eventually the timing just gets burned into your brain-matter and it gets a lot easier.

the best advice I can give is to read someone else`s: follow some of the track run throughs on Hellfire`s FAQ. Seeing where and how he (and ElHabib) advise using sideshift will really help your use of it.

There are places where it works well for you and places where it can lead to disaster - you just have to experiment.

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 04:06 PM
In addition to sideshifting, there are two more components to your steering techniques to keep in mind. At high speed, they become life savers, especially when flying a low handling flying brick like Piranha or Triakis.

1) The airbrakes. Yes, I know, you already use them to assist your turning, but I'm not talking about a gentle tap to help steering with the analog nub (or D-pad), I mean airbrakes as a SECONDARY steering system! Yes, it's highly useful, especially if your handling is poor or you just need a quick nose correction after taking a hard turn.

2) The gas pedal. Pedal to the metal is all fine and good in slower speed classes, but in Phantom it's just suicidal. Letting go of the gas once ina while will give your turning some extra bite that you need in tight turns and tricky chicanes, and allow you to adjust yourself for optimal racing lines.

It's the secret to tackling the highly technical tracks such as Citta Nuova and Karbonis.

rageagainstgeorge
10th October 2005, 07:59 PM
Drakkenmensch - You're absolutley right. It sounds so simple (and a bit silly) to say "let go of the gas" but it honestly helps an enormous amount. When I first started Phantom I was pedal to the metal the whole time! I died nearly everytime aswell on anything remotely technical. Now I've got to know the advanced techniques (learning when to sideshift and learing when to let go of the gas etc) i've got one of my most proud gaming moments - a 31.97s on Citta Nuova in the Pirahna (a perfect lap aswell). It may not sound that great but its about as good as I get!

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 08:11 PM
You'll find that the aerodynamics and body mass of the Piranha are highly agreable with letting go of the gas pedal. Unlike the Van Uber and other lightweights whose speed dies almost instantly when you do so, the Piranha carries a solid momentum that will let you benefit immensely from letting go. Releasing the accelerator a second or two costs a lot less speed than hitting walls.

rageagainstgeorge
10th October 2005, 08:25 PM
After reading the thread regarding hidden ship stats - I really noticed it. I agree about Pirahna (the Triakis is very similar). I can't place the Icaras though in terms of weight, it doesn't seem to be affected too much by realeasing the gas but then it handles very well (very responsive controls).

richchestmat
10th October 2005, 09:22 PM
The only problem with the white PSP is that only the default wipeout skin looks at home.

And get a 512MB or even GB cards. Try pspvideo and convert something - it's so easy and once you know that and see the high quality you can get you'll end up wanting to convert all your video for the PSP.

I'm using it to watch Nausicaa right now. It's great!

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 09:36 PM
The Icaras seems to defy conventional classification - the airbrakes seem to be acting oddly in comparison to the Piranha, not entirely sure if it should be classified as a medium or light weight.

Hellfire_WZ
10th October 2005, 10:24 PM
In a similar way to the Van-Uber you mean?

Drakkenmensch
10th October 2005, 10:33 PM
Very much so - the Van Uber seems to have an odd center of gravity that always seems to throw me off.

Deluxe
11th October 2005, 01:46 AM
Lol, about having hi-res video, i live in Japan, land of excessively cool mobile phone handses that work no-where else on the planet, my website http://newgmobile.com will show you just how much i don't need a PSP for media ;)

I've not yet learnt the track names, so forgivee my stupidity, there's a track with a large jump, followed by two weapon pads in the centre, and then a second drop after that, before a large speewing left bend, i'll call it "track-x"

Using both Harimau and Tigron, i alwas manage to endup completely upside down! It seems that if you just *just* clip the tail end of the craft on the second edge, the ship forward rotates 108', and there's nothing you can do about it other than to wait for the game to go "Hahaha, alright fine!" and place you back upwards.

Does anyone else experience this? ( Feel free to tell me the correct name of the track )

eLhabib
11th October 2005, 01:51 AM
the track is called chenghou project, and YES, we have experienced this A LOT! :D

syckls
11th October 2005, 02:00 AM
There are all these little quirks about the tracks that you will simply have to learn. Like in Phantom, there are a few obstacles that you have to push your craft under to avoid hitting them and losing all speed. But don't worry about that until Phantom. And, if you haven't already gotten there yet, I'd worry more about Flash.

Deluxe
11th October 2005, 02:07 AM
Yeah, i'm on Rapier class at the moment, ususally come about 4-2 in the rankings, still not good enough! lol. That's okay, i've got plenty of time to play ^^

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 02:50 AM
I used to barrel roll often on that double jump in Chengou, but I stopped entirely since I was hitting the flagpost on the side WAY too often, flipping over each time I did so.

Some places are just not smart for showing off ;)

richchestmat
11th October 2005, 06:45 AM
Nah the Jap phones aren't THAT hot. I have one too the Sony Ericcson V800 (802 in your region). The screen on a PSP is about as large as a clamshell phone in it's entirety.They're ok for watching news or sport streams - but no good for relxing with a movie or comedy.
Like I said try it and you'll switch.

Deluxe
11th October 2005, 08:45 AM
Haha, V802SE, Vodafone are such a laughing stock here, and the 802SE (800) is no exception ;)