View Full Version : wipeout got me into elektro music

pvdracer
9th October 2005, 08:54 PM
wipeout got me into elektro music and trance music,

anybody had similar experiences?

Drakkenmensch
9th October 2005, 08:57 PM
*raises hand*

It made me discover a whole new world of hypnotizing music where lyrics are entirely optional :D

bakeded
10th October 2005, 12:35 AM
Nope. I was into electronic music way before wipeout.
It has been my fave for many many years. (since I was little, and I'm 35)
It was a huge bonus when wipEout first came out that electronic music was integrated with the game. :D

Zebula77
10th October 2005, 01:07 AM
I'm actually not into electronic music. I mean, I like the odd artist here and there, but I don't listen to it.

But, the music in the Wipeout games is absolutely essential. It makes me concentrate and get into that 'zone' easier, and sometimes I find myself bobbing my head to the beat when I'm playing. Sometimes even humming the melodies. I think my fave track is Landmass from Wipeout 2097. Very nice track. :)

G'Kyl
10th October 2005, 05:56 AM
I too had been listening to electronica long before Wipeout, but it made me discover some artists I didn't think I could care much about before. Though I also have to say I am still most impressed by the music of Wipeout 1 as it's the most original and forwardgoing and fits best the unique futuristic vision that the series creates. In terms of music, I find that WipEout is the most homogenous iteration, which reaches the highest level of "being there". Second here would be Wipeout 64 - again with a lot of original music that contributes to a dense atmosphere. I really wish they'd go more into this direction with further sequels. But then, I suppose, that would be considered daydreaming. :-)

Ben

uk_resistant
10th October 2005, 08:40 AM
I think the music suits each game perfectly, at least of the ps1 titles.

In partic, 2097's more cyber punk/bladerunner look was complimented more by the various electronic, and I think if there had been more 4 on the floor dance it wouldnt have worked so well.

aesop
10th October 2005, 12:38 PM
Wipeout just allowed me tolerate Elektro music. I couldn't listen to it without the game.

Sausehuhn
10th October 2005, 01:08 PM
yeah, since I played Fusion (this was the 1st WipEout I played [ok, before that the demo of Wip3out - lol]) I really enjoy electronic music.
Especially because it has so many "areas". From house to Drum'n'Bass or from Trance to Industrial. You can pick up what you want. If you want to chill, just play Drum'n'Bass and when the whole room should rock, then play house.

but to be true:
I don't listen to electronic all the way. I really like the music, maybe more than every other music sytle, but often enough I just enjoy listening to the radio or to something completely different :)

Shem
10th October 2005, 03:57 PM
I was in luck, in great luck of finding W'O'2097 O.S.T., and not knowing what to expect, i just bought it. I still remember how i was first listening to this LP at night, and wondered 'what the hell is this?'. The first impression was not any good, but after 2 days of 'getting into it' i understood the whole thing. Now i must say that all of the artists of that album are my favourite electronic music artists. It was a great start for me, it opened my eyes on music, and if it wasn't for that LP i'd probably be doing something else than producing music.

Sausehuhn
10th October 2005, 04:25 PM
talking about your music, Shem, I really like Bosconian Sunrise :)

Megatron42
10th October 2005, 06:14 PM
Wipeout XL was the beginning of all of it for me.

Some people ridicule me for enjoying so much instrumental electronica (and not liking their pop metal, teen angst linkin park crap) but I'll tell you, there's nothing better for a car ride or a study session.

Hellfire_WZ
10th October 2005, 06:45 PM
Surprisingly enough, I have the soundtracks to WipEout, Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out on my iPod. There are a few that I can't get into, but the genre as a whole has certainly grown on me since I started playing.

G'Kyl
10th October 2005, 06:46 PM
Yap, plus it's funny how people thing you're into common MTV house techno when you tell them you like electronica. Tzzz. ;-)

uk_resistant: Sorry if I put this wrong: Yes, the music fits each game perfectly well (that includes Pure as well imo). All I tried to say is that WO1's soundtrack does that in the best possible way - imho again. :)

Ben

Shem
10th October 2005, 06:50 PM
Sausehuhn:

:D Thanks a lot, that's why I do it (...and I wouldn't be myself if I didn't make a small pun here.......i'm working on an album :))

Sausehuhn
10th October 2005, 09:30 PM
i'm working on an album
that are really good news!! :D
Also NIN's remix is goood. very goood. Keep up the good work, man! I will take a look at AcidPlanet.com every few days/weeks :)

*I just made you up to hurt myself...tralala*

Hacker X
11th October 2005, 07:02 PM
Wipeout gave me a taste of Electronic music, Wipeout Xl got me DEEPLY into Electronic music. I was introduced to The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, FSOL, etc. The rest was history. Thats all I mainly listen to now and have grown a large collection of techno since then.