PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout 3 SE choice of classic tracks

wipeoutfan
10th April 2002, 09:23 PM
I just got Wipeout 3 SE :D

BUT i can not belive they left out the "ice track" splinnaske or something (you know the last one , really hard) from Wipeout 1. I love that ice track.

As i was playing it, i was wondering why didnt they just include ALL the tracks, from Wipeout and Wipeout 2097/XL, i mean it probabaly doesnt very long to convert them to the new engine, that would have been so cool.

what are other peoples thoughts?

Lance
10th April 2002, 11:35 PM
i think you mean Silverstream; Spilskinanke is on 2097.

how much room is left on the SE disc? put it in a CD player to check remaining minutes/megabytes.

wipeoutfan
11th April 2002, 04:56 PM
yep you are right it was silverstream, i wish it was on SE.

Also i put the CD in my PC drive like you said.

It was full , BUT ONLY becuase each song takes up maybe 40MB each, so they could easily have just taken off a couple of songs. (The track data itself is small in size.)

Also, the total capacity of the disk says 536MB according to my PC, but i thought CDs could have 700MB of information on?

Basically, as far as i can see there is NO real reason why they could not have easily included ALL the tracksl from wipeout, wipeout 2097/XL and even Wipeout 64!, just think all together we would have had something like 30 tracks to choose from, but for SOME REASON they chose just to give us 8 more! :evil:

End of rant :wink:

Wiseman
12th April 2002, 04:41 AM
I think it was more of a time issue than a disc space one.

Vasudeva
12th April 2002, 07:30 AM
And they might have made those prototypes actual tracks. They're much more of a challenge than the rest. Terminal as ultimate track? Give me a break!

Vasudeva

Lance
12th April 2002, 03:36 PM
the most difficult and ultimate track is the last bonus in the game that you get from winning a medal on every track in phantom class. that seems appropriate. [at least it is that way in the original structure of the game. SE is expanded sorta willy nilly without the playlogic structure of a regular game]

i like them without scenery. as far as i'm concerned, the prototype tracks are ''actual'', and don't have to be any more real to satisfy me.

Mister-X
1st August 2002, 09:31 PM
I think they should have included Valparaiso.

Harvai
21st November 2002, 12:41 PM
Yeah i thought they should have put Valpariso in.
if Oodesa Keys isn't in it, why not put that in too?

Long live Flinging a pirahna in phantom class around Talon's Reach! :o

faB
26th May 2004, 01:15 PM
I really miss SPILSKINANKE from WipeOut 2097 in the Classic Tracks, and I hate those incredibly Loooooooong and boring WipeOut 1 tracks :( SPILSKINANKE is so fast right at the beginning this ramp down and then those long curvy bends at top speed WOW !!

Shem
26th May 2004, 02:10 PM
W'O1 circuits may be looooong as you say, but never boring. I'll always stand for my fav part of the series, and will not allow ppl to say negative things about The Original, especially when they are said without purpose. I understand that you'd like to fly a track with a 15 sec. laptime (I do like that as well), but that does not mean the older tracks are worthless. They were the first circuits of Wipeout, so at least show some respect and stop whining.

lunar
26th May 2004, 02:58 PM
I agree Spilskinanke should have gone in - but not at the expense of the WO1 trax - Arridos and Altima are fast, challenging and unique tracks IMO. Odessa Keys was not worthy, and should have been sent to a watery grave in the Black Sea with the aid of several thousand tonnes of high explosive. But its too late for that now of course.

G'Kyl
26th May 2004, 03:26 PM
I had SO whished to see Spilsk. among the classic tracks. It's fast, challenging and exciting to race. I never heard why they chose something medicore as Odessa Keys instead. Does anyone know?

Ben

Lance
26th May 2004, 03:35 PM
no one ever seems to mention the second track on the Original. at least i think it was the second; it's the one that has the long series of S-bends downhill after a tunnel and coming out of the esses you go around a left hand bend onto a jump and then another jump [i think]. it was one of the ones whose name began with 'k'. Karbonis IV or Korodera V. Karbonis, probably, but i'm not sure cos i only had a playable version for about three weeks and it's been a long time. too long. i loved those esses.

mm.. i think maybe Joel mentioned it once, or described it, anyway

Shem
26th May 2004, 04:20 PM
Korodera V was that Russian track, so it must be Karbonis IV you're talking about (the problem is if it was a Japanese or a German track...I guess it's Japanese since I remember these Buddha statues and plenty of AGsys ads.). A great track IMO, unfortunatly it didn't make it to SE...(*still feeling the atmosphere of Karbonis IV*).
IMO this circuit was the one of the best mixes of a regional culture with AG racing (the other 1 would be Phenitia Park).

zargz
26th May 2004, 08:39 PM
the wo1 trax 4me have the greates design compared with ANY other wo(2097/xl, 3, 64 or fusion)! yeah! 8)
talons reach & sagarmatha(though sag 1 of my favorites) r too short!
15sec lap i feel it's too shot for a 'real' track.
over 30sec arround 40 is more .. natural, real, comfortable, acceptable so on ..
think of any track no matter if F1 etcc motoGP and think if u ever seen a laptime under 15sec!
i know there are some of the nascar short-tracks that r that short but ovals r a completely different matter! :)
think about korodera 40-50sec(dont remember) BEAUTIFUL!
track in vector that's 'round 40-50sec in phntom shud b 30sec not less! :wink:

my 0,02$

Lance
26th May 2004, 10:21 PM
weeeellll... those wheeled F1 cars don't usually average anything near 400 kilometres per hour, either.
i suppose there would be some practical limit to how much space an organising association could afford to buy for a racetrack, also. especially in the even more overpopulated future when land prices will go up higher and higher. but i understand your personal taste for racetrack length. it seems odd in any track racing game to have races of so few laps as most of them have

zargz
27th May 2004, 09:21 AM
they do come up to 300km/hr anyway! :wink:
i might b wrong .. :-? :-?
and btw the last race was the most exiting in years!! :o :D

Shem
27th May 2004, 12:01 PM
[some personal stuff] (I just happened to tune in while this race was on. I guess I was lucky, since I've seen like 10 F1 races in my entire life. And all of sudden, cars started to fly all over the track, engine-blow ups, the incredible speed....I guess I'll watch some more of that in the nearest future...) [/some personal stuff]

faB
11th June 2004, 04:04 PM
Actually, having dusted off WO2097 yesterday, I realised I missed the VALPARISO a lot too. I'd race VALPARISO over PHENITIA PARK any day. It's a bit tricky, it's like the cousin of SPILSKINANKE :D Don't you love it in VALPARISO how sometimes you can get pushed in the pit stops by the enemy ships as you are trying hard to turn after the huge jump before the finish line :evil: :P

G'Kyl
11th June 2004, 06:43 PM
Naaaawww, that must have been the greatest annoyance I ever experienced in 2097!!! :evil: ;)
As for the track itself, I never thought it was particularily good or anything but rather medicore instead. The setting is nice, but the track has nothing special about it. Nothing especially bad, too, though - which makes it a medicore one. ;-)

rejj
13th June 2004, 10:38 AM
I'd take anything over Odessa Keys :(

seek
26th February 2005, 01:06 AM
I think they should have included Valparaiso.
Definately agree with you there. Valpariso is a far superior track to Phenitia Park.

Mobius
26th February 2005, 09:26 AM
Phenetia Park is my fav of the classic tracks. But i didnt like arridos iv in the selection tho - i would've wanted korodera.

zargz
26th February 2005, 09:31 AM
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ok.gif Right on! korodera!!
i think phenetia park is pretty ok - exept for the shortcut http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/gr.gif

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

G'Kyl
26th February 2005, 10:54 AM
I always preferred Phenitia Park over Valpariso, which is mostly due to my disliking of jungle settings. :) I always felt this doesn't suit the WO athmosphere, because how the heck did they carry all the high-tech equipment into the deep forest without leaving any traces of it alongside the track? Somehow something is missing there. apart from that I'm all with zargz. Korodera is one of the most exciting and challenging WO tracks of all time. :)

Ben

Seek100
26th February 2005, 05:48 PM
Bloody hell, talk about ressurecting a dead topic, I think the reason they included Odessa Keys is because it is quite simply the hardest b*stard of a track in 2097, no other track is as anoyingly difficult.

I must say I was quite satisfied with the tracks they chose, the reason for only 8 is that the guy who started this thread doesn't get they had to make the tracks again, from scratch, not port, make from scratch - with NO record of the old versions, apparently the old data doesn't exist anymore for whatever reason and I'm sure I read a post from one of the Psygnosis guys saying they had to build the w'o" tracks by eye.

The only changes to the line up I'd have made would have been to ditch the rather dull Sagarmatha (the snow was very overdone on the remake BTW) and to shift Arridos to be before Gare d'Europa and make the last track be Spilskinanke.

One chance I think they didn't use in 3:SE was to include the 2097 craft, all of which look better than their w3o counterparts IMO. Hopefully they'll remake some old AG craft *cough*2097 FEISAR*cough* for the downloadable content for purE.