PDA

View Full Version : Cool website for fans of legos and giant mecha

Drakkenmensch
7th October 2005, 03:08 PM
Not a new one, but it always makes me smile :)

www.foundrydx.com

"You got legos in my mobile suit!"
"You got mobile suit in my legos!"

mischiefdemon
7th October 2005, 03:49 PM
Thats cool Drak.

element42
7th October 2005, 03:59 PM
8O
I've been looking for a new hobby...

SMThomas
12th October 2005, 06:42 PM
Wow, those works are pretty funky dude! How he built them makes him a professional but is it all about robots? Well who cares, these are still cool though...

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 06:45 PM
His website is all about reproducing anime giant mecha such as the Macross Veritech fighters, Gundams, Evas and the like. There also used to be another cool website about a guy who built funky lego reproductions of famous M.C. Escher art and took pictures of them that faithfully reproduced his optical illusions, but that website seems down right now.

Hopefully it will return soon - the infinite staircase was mindbending!

Sausehuhn
12th October 2005, 07:08 PM
if you wanna see really good Lego models, you should take a look at this page (www.brickshelf.com) I found a few ages ago. There're some really good models... and... well... also a lot of crap...

SMThomas
12th October 2005, 07:22 PM
thats nice, those models were, well, good really...

Lance
13th October 2005, 12:09 AM
Lego Escher?! that i want to see!

mmm.... Gundams. yes. likes.

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 10:00 AM
Oh, found a link for the lego Escher staircase!

Clicky-Clicky (http://www.planetperplex.com/en/showimg.php?img=lipson_ascending.jpg&title=Ascending%20and%20Descending%20in%20Lego)

Enjoy the mind twisting madness ;)

SMThomas
13th October 2005, 11:40 AM
8O Oh my gosh! How on earth does he do that?!

element42
13th October 2005, 11:42 AM
must be a trick of perspective - notice how there's only one shot. The stair case is probably broken but looks continuous from that angle.

[edit] yep - see here (http://www.andrewlipson.com/escher/ascending.html)

SMThomas
13th October 2005, 11:59 AM
wow, that is pretty awesome. Making something like that could be as long as setting up a Qwilfish* paper model.

*Qwilfish is a pokémon.

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 12:50 PM
Yup, it's a pretty awesome visual trick he set up there, the lopsided angle at which he built the model combined with the photograph angle completely hides the gap, giving a near perfect illusion of a continuous construction. The first time I saw it, it blew my mind and I could NOT see how he did it.

If you look closely at the place where the gap should be, you'll notice that the "adjacent" wall that SEEMS to be connected to it (but in reality isn't) isn't correctly reflecting the staircase structure as the rest of the walls are. There are thus "wires" to be seen, but this artifacting is so subtle that you have to know where it is to be aware of it at all.

A masterful creation, that one!

eLhabib
13th October 2005, 12:58 PM
you will also notice that the little lego-figures at the higher end are quite a bit bigger than the ones on the lower edge, due to perspective.

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 01:08 PM
Indeed, but again you have to know what you're looking for since it's BARELY noticeable. Of course, someone in touch with his intuition would look at it and go "something is wrong about this, I'm missing a detail here..."

SMThomas
13th October 2005, 03:11 PM
Check out a more revolving building here (http://www.andrewlipson.com/escher/waterfall.html)

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 03:14 PM
The waterfall one involved a bit of photoshopping. The staircase, however, exists in its entirity in a physical way and the picture needed no retouching - only a very clever camera angle.

SMThomas
13th October 2005, 03:17 PM
Photoshop rocks, maybe I was inspired to create my own version (if I get some permission first).