PDA

View Full Version : How about we make a new user-created team?

bacrist07
3rd October 2005, 10:49 PM
Everyone can suggest names, mottos, colors, and logos. Then we can vote on each one every few days.

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 10:55 PM
As far as ship design goes, the first decision will be whether to make it an agile but not overly fast quickster, a well balanced all-rounder or a hard to maneuver flying brick :)

Thoughts?

Omni Requiem
3rd October 2005, 10:58 PM
I'd say "flying brick" but then again I'm a sucker for speed demons.

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 11:00 PM
... says the man with an AG-sys avatar icon ;)

But yeah, flying bricks are fun. A true measure of piloting skill, as the ship won't do the steering for you.

Lance
3rd October 2005, 11:14 PM
is this just going to be an exercise in onanism, or will a serious effort be made to get it to a really high state of workability such that a proposal can be made to Sony Studio Liverpool [with lots of begging and pleading on our part ;) ] to make this part of a new Pure download?

[starts thinking up a WZ logo ;D ]

Omni Requiem
3rd October 2005, 11:51 PM
@Drak
Ah, that was for training, Piranha and Tigron all the way now until Icaras comes to Europe.
Back to topic though, what about colours?
I'd prefer a nice black accompanied by gold, like a reverse of the Goteki colours.

Seek100
3rd October 2005, 11:55 PM
Lance I feel that's a bit of an inappropriate image you just put in my head and the head of any other person here who knows what onanism is.

In any case my vote would be for an almost-all-rounder, with a bias towards acceleration and manouevrability at the cost of shield and top-end speed, so I guess the first one of your three options.

Mezevenf
4th October 2005, 01:26 AM
Lance I feel that's a bit of an inappropriate image you just put in my head and the head of any other person here who knows what onanism is.

Yea, uncool.

I'd Agree with Seek100 on the ship though.

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 02:57 AM
All right, so let's try to combine what we have -

High maneuverability and thrust, low top speed and shields. Mostly black with gold.

What we have here, my friends, is a silent knife of the night. An assassin's dagger, if you will :)

As shape goes, I would suggest something long and very thin, with two reactors on the sides near the rear, though not all the way back, something that looks almost like an icepick.

Possible stats:

Speed: 3
Handling: 4
Shield: 2
Thrust: 4

Now what we need is a name. Ideas?

Shem
4th October 2005, 08:42 AM
Calyx ind. design model 1.

don't ask why, it just happened. Any cool?

bakkufu
4th October 2005, 08:50 AM
tempted to offer up my logo etc... :wink:

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 09:36 AM
Shem: your suggestion is the only candidate in the running so far, but it does sound like a Wipeout name, yes!

Bakkufu: Offer away, man! A logo'd be great!

bakkufu
4th October 2005, 11:52 AM
well, my site www.bakkufu.co.uk is the home of bakkufu dynamics and I have a logo already on there. have a peekie :wink:

element42
4th October 2005, 11:55 AM
calyx, n:
1.The sepals of a flower considered as a group.
2.A cuplike structure or organ, such as one of the cuplike divisions of the pelvis or of the kidney.
3.A collecting structure in the kidney. :?

what about Hurakan - "the ancient Mayan god of wind and storm"?

Colin Berry
4th October 2005, 12:53 PM
Hurakan ?

I like that.

Sounds wipeouty to me

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 01:30 PM
Hurakan works for me!!! :D

Lance
4th October 2005, 01:55 PM
[off topic concerning objection to my word use: i thought it was a reasonable description by parallel. a 'project' such as this could be pursued purely for the mental pleasure of designing a fantasy, or we could get serious about producing something that would see the light of day as a real product that non-forum members would get to use. to just keep it to ourselves for nothing but our own pleasure would be onanistic. the term is used as a metaphor and implies nothing physical. many years ago, i heard/saw the term used in this way on William F. Buckley's 'Firing Line' television series of political discussion [which ran for many seasons on the PBS network]. this is an ordinary usage of the word in discussion of topics, following a long tradition of language usage. nothing 'dirty' was implied or intended.

Seek100
4th October 2005, 03:10 PM
Okay, calm down everyone, I meant my comments as a tongue-in-cheek referrence to the origins of the term onanism, which, as you may or may not know is related to masturbation and how all the Christians think it's a 'sin' :roll: I wasn't really concerned about your use of the word, it was 2/3rds sarcasm, 1/4 smart-arsery and 1/12th not very good with fractions on my part... :lol:

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 04:03 PM
How did we derail from trying to create a new team from scratch to discuss the ethymological origins on a euphemism of masturbation, and its relevance in conversation?

randomperson1
4th October 2005, 05:54 PM
Ipsopti
Origin: Egypt

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 06:44 PM
What is the meaning of "Ipsopti"?

Lance
4th October 2005, 09:14 PM
[offtopic: google returned nothing with either cap i or lowercase l for the initial letter]

bakkufu
4th October 2005, 09:33 PM
I'll see if I can mockup a ship with my graphics on it

Sven
4th October 2005, 10:18 PM
I think we need to make a 5 speed/5 thrust ship, I don't care what the other stats are. I just want it to be as fast as possible, because Pure still needs a ship like that. Sure Piranha and Icaras are fast, but not as fast as they could be...

Lance
4th October 2005, 10:56 PM
i don't really like having a supership. there should be some weakness somewhere that makes it more of a challenge to drive, to beat the opposition

mclarensmps
4th October 2005, 11:19 PM
Team name: Baurek
Team colours: Black and Orange
Team origin: Finland
Team stats:
-Speed: 5
-Shield: 1
-Handling: 1
-Thrust: 5

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 11:41 PM
okay, now I know that you're just yanking our chains ;)

mclarensmps
5th October 2005, 02:32 AM
ive been having alot of trouble these days in that my car is at the garage and everyday im being told that itll be done the next day. Its causing me alot of delays all over the place and hence im never home. However, hopefully by the weekend i should get myself organized, and maybe i can work out a few concept images of what hte craft will look like, as well as throw around some logo ideas.

IF WE ARE serious about a WOP fan download pack, it should be full fledged and we should start brainstorming on skin ideas, song ideas as well as track ideas. Get your heads rolling guys, i think we can come up with something =)

lunar
5th October 2005, 08:00 AM
Hurakan is the best suggestion so far imo - though it sounds a bit similar to Harimau, possibly. Hurakan is the root of the word "Hurricane" , you might like to know, or know already of course, which makes it an excellent choice for a superfast wipeout ship, and together with scary Mayan imagery suggests it`s own logo, perhaps.

Drakkenmensch
5th October 2005, 09:19 AM
I'd like to put my foot down here and say NO SUPERSHIPS.

That would feel WAY too much like all these idiots who make new magic: the gathering cards and create a 20/20 flying/first strike/trample creature that costs only one mana and has the special ability "When this creature is cast you win"

And if you think I'm just making up that fan-made card, think again. Someone once sent in that game balance annihilating aberration to a M:TG magazine.

lunar
5th October 2005, 09:24 AM
I agree completely, Drak. It makes no sense to create a beautifully balanced game and then wreck it all with a supership.

Not sure if you were referring to my post, but when I used the compound word "superfast" I simply meant superfast ships like Piranha - nothing unbalanced. And if that clarification wasn`t necessary then just move right along. :wink: No superships.

Drakkenmensch
5th October 2005, 09:27 AM
I'm referring here to anyone who is lobbying for a ship with speed and thrust set to 5. Not even the Icaras, Zone or Medievil have this. And lowering both the other stats to 1 is just crazy. We have enough "superships" as it is - let's make this one a little challenging to handle, shall we?

mclarensmps
5th October 2005, 12:11 PM
how is this ship super? loll when it cant handle or last? to last it needs to manouvre, if it cant manouvre its unlikely to last. its only fast.

i rhyme well..

thats besides the point, point being, theres no way such a ship can be called super...

Distrupto
5th October 2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, a supership sucks out all the challenge. Zone is a supership in Time Trials where shielding doesnt really matter. So Time Trials have no challenge at all. Even Medieval isnt a total stats ship since pitting it against your best Zone ghost ship time can really help your racing line. If u have to have Speed5/Thrust5 then it should come with Shield1/Handling2. An AG dragster. It should look really cool like Medieval and here r my stats preferances:

Speed: 5

Thrust: 2

Shield: 3

Handling: 4

Balanced but fast. Almost a flying brick but extra handling. :wink:

Drakkenmensch
5th October 2005, 01:03 PM
That would basically amount to a Piranha with two more points in handling. I'd say that's pretty reasonable for a download ship, considering that the Piranha is a challenging ship by definition, and keeping the thrust low on your ship keeps it from being too easy to fly. Hitting walls and getting nailed by bombs or missiles would be a pretty harsh thing to overcome, as building up speed would take time.

element42
5th October 2005, 02:03 PM
It should look really cool like Medieval 8O
Okay... so I probably could deal with people liking the way it looks, but there's no way it belongs in wipeout.

[edit] I just had an idea: none of the Wipeout ships have a hammerhead design... what would the basic long-delta shape look like with a pair of winglets at the nose? In my head, at least, it's interesting, but I don't have the necessary skills or software to try and show you what I mean... :?

Hellfire_WZ
5th October 2005, 02:37 PM
I'll leave the names up to others with a more creative touch than myself, but these are my ideal stats:

Speed: 5
Shield: 5
Thrust :1
Handling: 2

Thrust and handling have always been secondary to me, I'm happy as long as I'm sitting in an iron rocket. :) The 1 in thrust would also really test how well you could handle technical circuits as you'd be pretty badly punished for grinding to a halt.

(On second thoughts, it's almost identical to the Triakis with a thrust point moved to speed... guess I've really got a thing for that craft :lol:)

bakkufu
5th October 2005, 03:35 PM
well Ill be putting together some stats and graphics when I get in tonight for this!!

Distrupto
5th October 2005, 03:43 PM
Speed 5, Shield 5, Thrust 1 and Handling 2 would make an ULTIMATE FLYING BRICK!
Its graphical design should be a large bricky square thing.

Lance
5th October 2005, 03:49 PM
[sidenote: ''huracan'' is a word from the language of the Carib tribe {now extinct}, for whom the Caribbean Sea was named. the word means, i think, 'great wind'.]

Seek100
5th October 2005, 04:11 PM
Since I think there's not really gonna be much consensus regarding how the ship should handle or look I would suggest we treat this as if it were going to be a d/l 'pack' of several ships of varying stats, one as this monstrous brick with 5-5-1-2 stats and a literally brick like body. Another that's maneouvrable and with good thrust but poor shields and speed, another that's fairly balanced and so on.

That way different groups of people who want a ship of each type can pool together with each other to progress that particular design. Cause as this thread has progressed completely contradictory stats have been proposed by most people.

randomperson1
5th October 2005, 04:18 PM
Here goes my second attempt:

Name: Rikona
Origin: Italy
Stats: Sp 3, Sh 5, H 3, T 3

Drakkenmensch
5th October 2005, 04:19 PM
Since the black and gold and "Hurakan" were suggested before the flying brick concept came about, these should be reserved for our agile accelerator concept.

randomperson1
5th October 2005, 04:23 PM
Changed it now

Seek100
5th October 2005, 05:01 PM
Nice name, sounds Italian, only tiny niggle is there's no such letter as 'k' in Italian (j, K, w, x and y don't exist in Italian), the sound is replaces by writting 'ch' if it's before the vowels 'i' or 'e' or a simple 'c' if it's before the vowels 'a', 'o' or 'u'.

bacrist07
5th October 2005, 08:57 PM
We need some organization! Okay everyone who has a name suggestion and/ or team colors post now. Today, only post if you have a suggestion. Save all comments for tommorrow. If you've already posted some, repost them for organization's sake. No more can be posted after tonight, October 5th. All day October 6th we can vote for the top two names and one set of team colors. Everyone can vote once tommorrow. Thanks...let the games begin.

-- -----------------------------------

Please type the entry in this format:

Team Name Suggestion: yourname

Team Colors Suggestion: color1 and color2

(Again, please don't post anything but suggestions for names and colors today. Thanks)[/b]

---------------------------------------

Team Name Suggestion: Fenix

Team Color Suggestion: Red and White

edit by Lance: three successive posts one right after the other by the same author combined into one. as they should have been by the author.

do not clutter the forums with this type of multiple posting.

eLhabib
5th October 2005, 09:13 PM
now who are you to put up the rules, when obviously you haven't even read this forum's guidelines? :mr-t

Drakkenmensch
5th October 2005, 09:20 PM
Team name suggestion: Hurakan

Team colors suggestion: Black and Gold

rageagainstgeorge
5th October 2005, 09:30 PM
I have to second the black and gold color scheme. That'd look awesome.

bakkufu
5th October 2005, 09:55 PM
Team name suggestion: bakkufu dynamics

Team color suggestion: red and yellow

kaiotheforsaken
5th October 2005, 10:08 PM
as much as i love red and yellow, that scheme is pretty much eaten up by pirahna, it'd have to be a pretty drastic difference for the association with pirahna to not happen imo

Seek100
5th October 2005, 11:34 PM
Hmm, I agree, those colours are inextricably associated with Piranha, unless you go for a set of very different shade of colours from Piranha's choice. I originally thought my team idea should have red and yellow for the colours (I'll explain with the suggestion in a sec) but it just wouldn't work with Piranha there on the track aswell.

Anyway my idea for a team, which won't be in the form bacrist suggests, since last I checked he hasn't been appointed as a moderator:

team name: Lupo Niveru (Sicilian for 'Black Wolf')

team colour: dark green (about 0, 122, 94 on the RGB scale of colour) with black trim.

team nation: European Federation - island of Sicily

brief team history: originally founded as a sports-craft manufacturer in the mid 2130s by an ex-Feisar engineer Lupo Niveru initially contracted with Feisar to supply some components of their racing craft during the F9000 league. But growing tired of Feisar's continued insistence of maneouvrability above all else at the expense of any speed and furious at the refusal of the Feisar leadership to admit their craft were flawed the current head of the Lupo Niveru company decided he could do better. The result is their entry into the FX-300 league as an official manufacturer team with a sleek dart shaped craft with a mix of decent speed, thrust and maneouvrability.

team stats:
speed: 3
thrust: 4
handling: 4
shield: 3

(you'll notice it has the same number of points as the Feisar (highest of the stock teams), just spread more evenly - less than any of the d/l ships so far which have had overall 15 points AFAIK. It's not a supership, those are boring IMO).

P.S. bacrist07: I'm not being rude, but you do not have the authority to say in what way we organise our posting on this forum, only Infox and the moderators have that power, and they've not said anything on the matter yet. Also if you'd read the guidelines, I'm pretty sure that double-posting is not welcome, let alone triple posting, there is an edit post option you can use if you want to add something more.

Drakkenmensch
5th October 2005, 11:56 PM
Much like an Assegai with an extra point in handling. Very fair and balanced, I like it :)

bacrist07
6th October 2005, 12:05 AM
i really didnt mean to be bossy. don't be offended...i was just trying to make some suggestions so we got organized and so we could actually get something done.

i thought you all would either agree or disagree with what i suggested. sorry for the confusion.

Lance
6th October 2005, 12:16 AM
bacrist07: while you may suggest an organisation and a mode of posting responses to a thread you started, do not expect that the other members will necessarily follow your suggestion. they are free agents in this respect. just as free as you are to make the suggestions. you should always make it clearthat you are suggesting. your setting of deadlines was a command. which will be ignored unless agreed to by a majority of the parties interested in participating in this design process.

ordinarily, the only time a poster sets conditions is in the ''Arena'' section of the forums when the poster is setting forth a racing challenge with a particular organisation and goal. and of course, all other members are free to avoid participation if they do not find the conditions suitable

pureBC
6th October 2005, 12:20 AM
I think the team name should be Xana (pronounced like Zana)
team colors should be white and two shades of blue b/c I think those colors would look very "pure" :lol:

Lance
6th October 2005, 12:29 AM
bacrist07 [pureBC]: i see that you have apparently opened a second membership under a different username, presumably in order to unduly influence decisions in this topic by getting an extra vote.

i have deactivated both accounts pending review by the other administrators to determine if i am correct in my assumptions.

Seek100
6th October 2005, 01:11 AM
Wow, that was unexpected, hmm a second account that can be easily detected as such by a mod is not an ideal way to influence things in a community. How, distasteful.

@ Drakkenmensch, that was kinda the idea, I quite like the Assegai stats, but feel the handling was a bit wallowy, plus I'm not too keen on their design or livery, not a pure specific complaint, I never really liked the team since I first played wip3out, their pure design is a great improvement, but I just can't get into the feel of using them. My ship is a little pet project I came up with while I was on holiday during the summer, it's quite similar to a Feisar - single arrowhead shaped fuselage with a central rear engine except for the wings which are separate from the fuselage - like an old-skool wipEout craft, and they're much longer than those of the feisar and slightly swept back.

Drakkenmensch
6th October 2005, 01:52 AM
*nods* sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your design. I'm looking forward to see the schematics :)

bakkufu
6th October 2005, 08:24 AM
well the design I had in mind follows along the lines of this banner I use -

http://www.bakkufu.co.uk/redbanner.gif

where the actual ship is two tone red - the lettering is the only yellow and the logo is white.

Omni Requiem
6th October 2005, 11:12 AM
I'm liking your design so far Seek, cant wait to see some designs. I might even have a try drawing it to test out liveries.

bakkufu
6th October 2005, 11:26 AM
ok no laughing :lol:

http://www.bakkufu.co.uk/linkedwork/dynamics.jpg

not finished, I really want to spend some time getting this right, but the basic two tone red with yellow trim text is there.

Im leaning to a nimble ship with good thrust stat wise.

Distrupto
6th October 2005, 11:34 AM
THIS IS ANOTHER AL-VASKEI SPONSERED SHIP! They've got Bakkufu as their fourth sponser after Wire05, Coke and Puma. :wink: :roll:

bakkufu
6th October 2005, 11:36 AM
I couldn't find a wireframe that I liked apart from this, I might see about drawing up my own one.

Sausehuhn
6th October 2005, 02:53 PM
hm... where did you get this from?
(looks to the Pilots Lounge)

;)

randomperson1
6th October 2005, 03:48 PM
can I still post Riccona's colours?
I'd say gold + dark blue.
I've slightly changed the name as yes, K is not in the italian alphabet

Omni Requiem
6th October 2005, 04:10 PM
Is this what you had in mind seek?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/Omni_Hunter/omniscraft.png
I have the blank wireframe pic if anyone wants to use it to demonstrate their liveries.

Seek100
6th October 2005, 05:49 PM
That's a really cool design, the forward-swept wings are a nice departure, don't think we've seen them before. But it's actually quite different what I had in mind, my drawings are only done freehand at the moment, I'll transfer them to some graph paper and then ink them, nice and technical-ish. And then try and get them scanned and onto my PC, probably be able to get them scanned this weekend down the library if they've got a scanner.

Anyway, My design has the same shape fuselage as what you've got there - the old style really flat and wide half of a hexagon shape of the old-school ships I've always loved, but if you imagine the fuselage looking like a knife blade with the tip cut off from above, the rear is kinda like a short 'handle' for the knife, quite narrow, and the wings are swept back slightly, coming out wider than the fuselage, they also site quite flat only angling down slightly, like the wings on a harrier have a slight droop.

I'm sorry I'm not very good at describing the shape verbally, once I can scan the techy-schematics and post them it should hopefully make sense what I've been blithering on about. :lol:

Sausehuhn
6th October 2005, 06:15 PM
nice image you have there, Omni Requiem :)

(but make it smaller or post a link - you should check the forum guidelines, some will people react angry when they see that - and that's understandable)

Seek100
6th October 2005, 06:26 PM
It's only 93k, I just checked in the properties, I'm not sure what the size cap is off-hand but 93k is a ridiculously small image, though I suppose if anyone still has a dail-up modem they might get annoyed.

Mobius
6th October 2005, 06:31 PM
The limit is 50kb here i think. Shame really, why couldnt dial-up be faster?

eLhabib
6th October 2005, 06:37 PM
IIRC, 50k is the limit...

EDIT: ouch, much too late! see, that's what happens if you open a new window and then leave it open for too long :wink:

Distrupto
7th October 2005, 11:08 AM
My router Broadband runs 256kb. My old dialup runs from 33 to 48kb. 8)

Sausehuhn
7th October 2005, 11:12 AM
@ Omni Requiem

the pic you link is also small enough to post it the direct way. :lol:

randomperson1
8th October 2005, 11:53 AM
Right, time for the name vote:

Calyx
Hurakan
Riccona
Bakkufu Dynamics
Ipscopsi
Baurek
Xana
Lupo Niveru

P.S. I've changed avatar!

Hyper Shadow
8th October 2005, 12:41 PM
[X] Hurakan

I place my mark for Hurakan, it just sounds right.

eLhabib
8th October 2005, 12:44 PM
+1

Sausehuhn
8th October 2005, 01:06 PM
yeah, I like the name, too.
Have a ship sketch on my PC, we could use that one, but [big but] after I scanned it and surfed around the WOP-site I found out, that it looks very similar to the Harimau :roll:

bakeded
8th October 2005, 01:54 PM
hurakan vote here

randomperson1
8th October 2005, 02:36 PM
Keep the vote's comin'.

Closing Time- 9 o'clock (London Time)

P.S. you can't vote for your own name!

Sausehuhn
8th October 2005, 03:10 PM
then we sould make a real vote.
Rob, could you do something like that?

But somebody has to search for all names mentioned in this thread, it would be unfair to miss one.

mclarensmps
8th October 2005, 03:51 PM
Although i really like the name Hurakan, it just sounds way too much like harimau (even has the same number of letters), so for the sake of diversity im going to go with Xana

Sausehuhn
8th October 2005, 03:57 PM
Xana reminds me too much on Xios (btw: same number of letters here, too)... and... well... I also just don't like the name :mrgreen:

Drakkenmensch
8th October 2005, 04:14 PM
Excuse me, but at WHAT point did this become a VOTE for a single name??? I thought we were in agreement that we would create several ideas because we couldn't agree on a single name or style (we already had a major split on nimble accelerator vs flying brick)

Whose order was this to turn this into a vote for a single name, anyway???

Lance
8th October 2005, 04:19 PM
[commentary rather than vote]:
my favourites so far in current order of preference, although it's very close between all of them:
Hurakan
Calyx
Riccona

these are the ones that sound to me most like a ''real world'' team name
[/non--vote commentary]

Jittery-Joe
8th October 2005, 04:22 PM
these are the ones that sound to me most like a ''real world'' team name
Unfortunatly, Real World Teams also tend to go for BAR, Red Bull, and other less interesting names

Lance
8th October 2005, 05:56 PM
often true, but these are not those, and they actually sound interesting and 'cool'

also note that i used quotes on ''real world'', meaning more like the 'real world' of Wipeout. in other words, more of a Wipeout-style to the names, which is perhaps what i should have said originally

randomperson1
8th October 2005, 09:37 PM
OK,then. Regarding Drakkenmeksch's comments, could someone please make a 'real' poll and then we can choose 2 names.

Jittery-Joe
9th October 2005, 02:23 PM
often true, but these are not those, and they actually sound interesting and 'cool'
Interesting wasn't exactly what I meant, but it was the closest I could think of...

mclarensmps
9th October 2005, 07:22 PM
Damn, Xana does sound like Xios... nevermind that vote then, im going to have to think about this...

kaiotheforsaken
11th October 2005, 04:07 AM
well since my ship designs are finally getting towards completion i'll throw in my Arkangyl team for consideration too. ship and logo designs are on the Arkangyl thread in the pilots lounge.