PDA

View Full Version : Quantex and Al-Waskei Teams

Kansas
3rd October 2005, 08:32 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but on the WipeOut wiki it lists these as downloadable teams. Where can I download these?

Thanks for your time.

Sausehuhn
3rd October 2005, 08:38 PM
Al-Vaskei = Puma, CocaCola or Wire05
Quantax = Puma2

Kansas
3rd October 2005, 08:41 PM
Is there a particular Web site?

bakkufu
3rd October 2005, 08:44 PM
www.wipeoutpure.com

and

www.yourpsp.com

both of which require registration to the download service.

Kansas
3rd October 2005, 08:47 PM
muito obrigado!

-------------

I don't see the Al-Vaskei and Quantex downloads on Wipeoutpure.com... so, I'm guessing they're at the other site.

Sumimasen
3rd October 2005, 09:36 PM
I'm a bit confused by where these names came from too...

Are they just made up names to group these teams together, or do they in fact refer to the model of ship these teams use?

I have to say that if people want to make up their own lore for stuff like Wipeout, then go ahead, but if it's not 'Official' then shouldn't it be kept off something like the Wiki?

I disagreed that the Wire05 ship was instantly called NX1000, simply because it happened to look a bit like it.

As I say, I'm a bit confused by the whole thing...

...sorry if I seem a bit tetchy, but I've just spent over an hour fumbling round Citta Nuova at Rapier speed, and it was REALLY frustrating!!! :evil:

Seek100
3rd October 2005, 09:43 PM
You misunderstand, the Al-Vaskei and Quantax teams are a bit of fan-fic that's been taken a little too seriously, they're not really teams in the game, they're the team names forum members have come up with for the Puma, Coca-Cola and Wire05 craft available in various downloads. The Wire05 (craft, skin and race-track) was only available for download at the Wire05 concert in Japan earlier in the year and only for Japanese copies of the game. The Coca-Cola track, skin and craft are available for download for the Japanese copy of the game now. The 2 Puma craft and skins are only available to European users in the Puma-branded Delta pack. The Puma1, Coca-Cola and Wire05 craft are all the same thing and have been given the fan team name Al-Vaskei, the Puma2 ship looks so much like an old Qirex that fans here have named the team 'Quantax', Quantax was the basic design name of the old Qirex craft in earlier wipEout games, the Quantax model 4 was in wipEout and the model 9 I believe it was, was in wip3out.

Egg
3rd October 2005, 09:49 PM
You're suggesting I nicked that ship from an old Wipeout?

Outrageous! You'll never make it stick, mister :wink:

Sumimasen
4th October 2005, 05:46 AM
Yeah but the Puma teams are called 'Puma' and so on...

Qirex used a 'quantax' model of craft - Quantax weren't a team themselves.

Like I said, fan fiction should be kept away from a public information resource like Wiki, as it just confuses people that go there for official information.

I DO know what all the teams are OFFICIALLY as I have every download for every version - I will just refer to them by their proper names, that's all.

* sorry, went to bed in a foul mood last night, and don't feel any better this morning, so apologies for the grumpy nature of this post! *

Sausehuhn
4th October 2005, 06:13 AM
I'm definately for Al-Vaskei, if I'm right Egg was fine with naming the Wire05 etc. ships Al-Vaskei.
So this team is a bit offical.
But I'm not sure with Quantax.

We can't just make some teams out of nowhere, don't ask SL if they're something offical, but let it look like they are offical.

so that is just my opinion...

Hellfire_WZ
4th October 2005, 08:10 AM
Sorry, this pretty much stemmed from my FAQ. I wanted these craft to have proper names and backstories for completion purposes as they would have looked extremely bare compared to the other manufacturers. Egg left the naming of the craft up to us, and I think there's been some good suggestions.

Sumimasen
4th October 2005, 08:18 AM
You guys are obviously all right, and I am wrong, as my last post was deleted...

... an explanation would be nice though.

I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on.

infoxicated
4th October 2005, 10:04 AM
You had a post deleted Simimasen?

Strange, it's not in the pit lane forum... :?

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 10:13 AM
Sumi: While it's true that Quantax was a Qirex model and not a team in the past, I had offered a bit of possible backstory by suggesting that the aging engineers of the formerly dismantled Qirex had gone back together following the fall of Tigron (who had bought Qirex) and recreated Qirex. Their new model, the LS300 seen in Pure, did not meet the standards of one of those engineers who preferred looking to the past at the Quantax model (seen in 2097) and created a whole new team based on that design, naming this new team Quantax and obtaining some much needed financing from Puma sponsoring.

Sumimasen
4th October 2005, 10:27 AM
I think there's a bit of confusion regarding this.

Am I right in thinking that the new names are for the 'ship models' and not new racing team names?

If this is the case then it's all ok IMHO. I just got the impression that people were trying to re-name the teams, which I reckon is not a good idea.

Maybe it could be good to clarify the naming conventions.

Re. my deleted post - It seemed odd that it would have been omitted, as it wasn't offensive or combative (quite the opposite in fact). I'll check when I get home to make sure that I did actually click 'Submit'. (I now have visions of my Mac at home sitting there with the typed message in screen, waiting to be sent!) :oops:

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 10:37 AM
Actually no, sumi, we're not submitting model names but TEAM names and history.

It makes little sense to have TWO Puma teams, after all. Besides, teams need history, and those two were just dropped into our laps, no reason given for their coming into being in the wipeout world.

That's why Randomperson1 came up with the arabic Al-Vaskei team to represent the NX1000 look-alike ship that has been used in several branded packs (including Puma I) and I came up with Quantax for the Puma II, as it strikingly ressembles the Qirex Quantax model from WO 2097.

Colin Berry
4th October 2005, 10:44 AM
The thing about team names is, the need to go through legal departments, marketing etc

AL-Vaskei might be fine in 99% of the world, but might mean **** somewhere.
Quantax might sound made up, but might actually be a company who imports shoelaces or something

Thats one reason why we cant suddenly go, yeah they'll do :)
Example - Goteki - was originally just Goteki, however it was changed to Goteki45 because there is a band in america called Goteki, strange but true

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 10:55 AM
The More You Know *little fizzy shooting star*

Sumimasen
4th October 2005, 10:57 AM
In formula one, there will be two Red Bull teams next year...

... Ah, you guys carry on - I just wanna play the game and maybe do a bit of fan art. This is getting WAY out of hand...

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 11:00 AM
It's still all very unofficial stuff anywho - you can enjoy the game without every worrying about any of this :)

Seek100
4th October 2005, 01:15 PM
Thats one reason why we cant suddenly go, yeah they'll do :)
Example - Goteki - was originally just Goteki, however it was changed to Goteki45 because there is a band in america called Goteki, strange but true

Actually IIRC the band named themselves after the Goteki45 team in wip3out, I think they used to go under a different name.

Lance
4th October 2005, 01:32 PM
re: Quantax. i'm posting this message with a Quantex computer. only one letter different from the Quantax name, but Quantex stopped making computers in 2002, if i recall correctly, so there would probably be no problem from that quarter. however, it does illustrate how hard it can be to find a name that doesn't potentially interfere with copyrighted tradenames

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 01:40 PM
It's a little hard to come up with a name that doesn't remind you of another close one, most of the time, but the thing to remember as to whether there can be legal complications is this - are the two close names referring to similar products or services?

Goteki and Goteki45 are not a problem if one is a band and the other a butcher shop in downtown Oakland. There is a problem if those are both companies that manufacture high end graphic accelerator cards.

Sumimasen
4th October 2005, 05:12 PM
Final word...

I understand that creating backgrounds and stories for teams is great if no official lore exists already. Hell, we all like to read info about our favorite teams, and what they got up to before the game's time frame, and where they came from etc.

I just really fail to see the logic of re-naming teams that exist already. Ok, so not everyone can see the point of the Puma, Coke or Wire05 teams, but in the game, they are listed as proper teams, and appear in the leader boards as proper teams.

I just don't think that we, as players, have the right to rename something and make it 'semi official' on something like Wiki, just because we don't like the way it is. Hell, I intensely dislike Van-Uber, but I wouldn't dream of renaming them!

As for three teams having the same ships, then I regard that as a manufacturer building a ship and selling it to a new team as a quick start. Kinda like in F1 where you have customer teams and factory teams (I know that's with engines, but the principle could be the same). If the original manufacturer happens to be called Al-Vaskei or Quantax or whatever, then fine, but IMHO the teams are clearly defined and named.

Just my opinion (for what it's worth).

* Steps of soapbox, then decides that he really needs to get out more... *

Kansas
4th October 2005, 05:30 PM
I read all this... but, damn, I am so confused.

At least I know I can't DL these teams since they were meant for JP and Europe.

randomperson1
4th October 2005, 05:34 PM
Why's everyone gettin' so stressed? Al-Vaskei and Quantax are just teams made up by me and Drakkenmesch and not a big deal. They were just made to rename teams without a name. You have to admit Al-Vaskei was a good name...

Seek100
4th October 2005, 05:51 PM
Yes Al-Vaskei may have been a good name, but the wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not an outlet for fan-fiction. Anything that goes on there should be factual, and in fact the teams Al-Vaskei and Quantax do not exist in wipEout, they never have and most likely they never will. It's all well and good that you have a bit of fun coming up with these bits of fan-fic, but that's all they are in the end, they are not official. The official name of those ships are Puma, Coca-Cola and Wire05 as much as we may find that distasteful (and we do) that's the way it is and no amount of filibustering on our parts is going to erase those sponsor teams and replace them with our fan teams.

Sausehuhn
4th October 2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah, but we - as fans - have no "right" to list teams, made by us, as offical.
As I allready said, Al-Vaskei is ok for me (and that means for me) and as you can see also Colin is fine with the most of it.
But what about Quantax? Has anybody asked if it is ok? No!
And that's the point.

Seek100
4th October 2005, 05:58 PM
But even if it's 'okay' by the developers it damn well isn't okay by Sony or the sponsors who paid to get their ugly mugs in the game, thus the developers can't make an Al-Vaskei team because it would break whatever agreement they have with their corporate overlords.

Bottom line is we have no right to put Al-Vaskei or Quantax as official teams on the wikipedia which is a factual encyclopedia, think of it this way - would you find Al-Vaskei listed in a paper encyclopedia entry on wipEout? No. Thus it shouldn't go on the wiki which is just as scholarly (in theory).

P.S. Don't get me wrong I like the Al-Vaskei background, not as keen on the Quantax but it's still okay I guess.

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 06:45 PM
Notice that the entries DOES say "Puma branded"

Sumimasen
4th October 2005, 07:01 PM
The internet has a reputation for being full of rumours, half-truths, misinformed opinions and outright lies. Guess there's no reason Wiki should be any different.

I'm pretty good at losing arguments, and I'll just notch this one up as the latest in a long line.

Anyway, I'm off to play some games, have a beer and chill out a little.

Sayonara.

Vortex
4th October 2005, 07:04 PM
I have to admit that I have been having difficulty in understanding all of these fan made backgrounds to the branded teams in Pure. Can't see the point really as nothing will come of it, no matter how good some of the ideas are (and some of them are very good, especially the team logo's).

Kansas
4th October 2005, 07:08 PM
I feel that Wikipedia should remain as reliable a source as possible.

Listing the official teams that have been presented by the developers is the way to go.

However, maybe as an aside, fan-fic or outside sponsored teams may be listed in their own category.

Isn't that the middle road?

Maybe we can lump these extra teams to the bit that I wrote about Wipeout Culture, and include everything in a new section in the Wiki devoted to "Wipeout Culture".

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 07:29 PM
Kansas seems to have brought an excellent idea here. While wikipedia should remain objective, it is still 100% accurate to say that there is a growing fan-based wipeout culture where the Al-Vaskei and Quantax teams fit perfectly.

This calls for some slight retooling of the Pure entry :)

Lance
4th October 2005, 09:26 PM
Paul said: ''have a beer and chill out a little''
Paul, be more ambitious; i am having whiskey and cola and am becoming whoooOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

---------

Wikipedia should be factual, but part of fact consists of the culture around the hard core facts. i like Kansas' idea of putting all the al Vaskei and Quantax material in a ''Wipeout culture' or fandom section.

above all, this creation of the story of non-SonyStudioLiverpool teams is a lot of fun and a creative outlet for several of our members. that is a fine justification for its existence

Hellfire_WZ
5th October 2005, 01:16 AM
Just to avoid any further confusion or disagreement, I've added a small disclaimer above the two manufacturers in the next version of the FAQ stating that the names are fan-created and aren't official.