PDA

View Full Version : CLASSIC PACK 3 IS OUT via in-game download!!!!!!

Hacker X
3rd October 2005, 08:38 AM
Go get it now!

For those without wireless online, it should be available on the website later today.

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 09:17 AM
Yours only got in three minutes before mine because I typed a LOT more into mine ;)

lunar
3rd October 2005, 09:29 AM
Icaras stats:

Speed 5
Handling 3
Shield 2
Thrust 4

At first I thought "oh no this an unfair monster ship" - but when u take a closer look, it isn`t really. Slightly similar to zone, but you get better shields paid for with reduced handling. If this entices some players away from an unhealthy zone-dependence all well and good. I think it looks just like a Pure Icaras should look. And the track - suitably apocalyptic, as Vohl Square should be, and seems technical, though I`ve only done vector so far. Two more music tracks brings the count up to 20 again, after turning off the small bunch of migraine and schizophrenia-inducing originals that we all know and "love". Once again thank you, SL, you`ve done so much more than you had to do with this game - and we appreciate it. :clap

Hacker X
3rd October 2005, 09:44 AM
Whelp! Already killed Vohl Square. Got Gold medals in Venom, Vector, Flash, Rapier, and Phantom Leagues already. Haha. Fun track. The weapons pads of Vohl Square, and now that I think of it, even Altima VII, are spread out pretty well so that by the time you get to Phantom league, your not getting slammed into the track with back to back weapon attacks from enemy AI, which makes the focus of racing more key to winning. Also, Vohl Square being a "Fusion" track, it is very wide, which makes for some fun, fast, racing and manuevering. Nice sponsor pictures of a couple of the teams with the "Gold award" unlockables too, btw.

Also, they have now brought back the song "MESSIJ" by Cold Storage from Wipeout 1. Messij has been one of the most like Wipeout songs by fans since the original game. Its the song that got me into electronic music. They also brought back "Operatique" by Cold Storage too. A bit more tame of a song, but still nice, nonetheless.

The Icarus skin is nice, but I still stick with the "Hacker" themed skin since its dark, which I like.

As for the Icarus ship, I'll leave it up to someone else to give a review of it as I've not had time to use it yet. Icarus is from Wip3out (Wipeout 3) and its good to see them back. I used Quirex to finish off Vohl Square.

Just want to say GOOD JOB WIPEOUT TEAM! You guys kicked ass with this game. Don't know if you guys will offer more downloads, as this is the sixth month of ("6 months of WOP downloads") like said before the game was released, but if so, keep up the good work, and if not, then we'll be waiting for the next PSP Wipeout or PS3. :lol:

Seek100
3rd October 2005, 02:05 PM
I am so jealous right now, I can't even get Classic2 Pack 1 yet for the Euro version - no on-site downloads yet. :evil:

BTW Hacker X, you got too many 'u's in that post, it's Qireж not Quirex, no 'u' English has some very dumb conventions, the 'q is always followed by u' being one of them, we probably inherited it from French. Anywho, also Icaras. Can one of you folks post the little team info blurb you get when you select Icaras? What's the story behind their revival

Hacker X
3rd October 2005, 02:11 PM
LOL, I've been using Qirex for years and never noticed. :P I'm an idiot. haha.

edit by Lance: quotation eliminated. read the guidelines

lunar
3rd October 2005, 02:16 PM
The Icaras is tuned, fired-up and ready to go. What it lacks in shield, it more than makes up for in speed.

Seek100
3rd October 2005, 02:18 PM
Well not really, it's a reflex reaction to think that a q has to be followed by a u if your first language is English. Much like it's instinctive not to start a sentence with 'and' or 'because' even though they are (or were until about a century ago :roll:) perfectly acceptable in the English language.

P.S. does anyone know when the downloads (US or Euro) will be on wipeoutpure.com?

bakeded
3rd October 2005, 02:30 PM
I REALLY like the Icaras ship!!! :D

yawnstretch
3rd October 2005, 02:49 PM
Fragnamit - someone put it on the website!!!

/cries

G0rT
3rd October 2005, 02:53 PM
no kidding, I wanna fly the Icaras on the new track too!

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 03:04 PM
My initial impressions:

Cold Storage tracks: It's from Cold Storage. That says it all :D

Vohl Square: Very purple. In tune with the very yellow Porto Kora, very red Altima VII and very blue Odessa Keys. The track layout is strongly reminiscent of Sagarmatha, with frequent small stretches followed by tight turns. Be careful of the wusswagon in a few spots, as these guys are very eager to "help" you where you would have thought a neat jump shot would have normally worked.

Icaras: Just as I suspected, the stills from the net do not do it justice. It very much looks every bit like you'd expect the Icaras to look, and handles better than the classic WO3 version. Speed and thrust to spare for the speed maniacs we all are, with average handling at 3 that makes for a smoother ride than the Piranha. Only weakness is shields, though at 2 it's still a better choice than Zone and Medievil, and provides the fans of those two origami ships something better to aspire to and train with, either to stay in team Icaras or eventually transition to another more challenging craft.

Personally, I'll stick to the brazillian missile for my online competitive piloting, but through no fault of the Icaras itself. It's a very good ship in almost every way, but it just doesn't give me the raw tilt I get from the Piranha :twisted:

eLhabib
3rd October 2005, 04:29 PM
it looks like www.wipeoutpure.com is being updated RIGHT NOW! just tried accessing it, and there was NOTHING in the download section. I expect the classic pack 3 to be on there in a matter of minutes now...

G0rT
3rd October 2005, 04:38 PM
its up!

Kansas
3rd October 2005, 04:41 PM
Downloaded in the wee hours of the morning... played a few times.

Brilliant!

yawnstretch
3rd October 2005, 04:42 PM
LOvin it.

-as if there'd be any doubt.

Wipeout Pure is the BEST GAME EVER!

-The style of the Icarus is beautiful too. Very sweet looking ship (from the back - which is usually what matters the most).

Oh and of course Cold StorAGE FOREVER!!!!!!

eLhabib
3rd October 2005, 07:10 PM
after playing the new track and ship for 1 hour straight now, I have this to say:

Vohl Square is AWESOME. It's a very fast, but still quite technical track, which is really all you could ask for. It really FLIES on phantom speed. Looks like we have another barrel roll dreamland here, with as many as 6 (YES, SIX!!!) rolls possible per lap!

The Icaras ship is long, very long. It truly is the Cadillac of wipEout purE. The design is really adorable, and it just feels mighty when you pass it with another ship, it's just SOOO long! Concerning the handling, the Icaras definitely feels as long as it looks, but it's very precise around bends.

Messij and Operatique are as sweet as they were back in the day. I would have preferred Doh-T over Operatique, but ah well, it's all good!

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 07:22 PM
Hopefully in the near future we'll be blessed with more Cold Storage music downloads :)

Cold Storage is truly the defining music of the Wipeout feel, and you can never have too much of it, in my opinion

eLhabib
3rd October 2005, 07:27 PM
I could also kill to have 'wipEout' by Orbital back. that's my favorite track from the original.

Seek100
3rd October 2005, 07:40 PM
I've never heard of an Orbital track by that name on the original soundtrack, on my copy the Orbital song is called P.E.T.R.O.L. (wipEout mix) and they have no other songs on the soundtrack.

Sausehuhn
3rd October 2005, 07:44 PM
lol.
I've the track named as "WipEout (Petrol mix)" instead of "P.E.T.R.O.L (wipEout mix)"

Megatron42
3rd October 2005, 07:54 PM
I'm definitely guilty of an unhealthy dependence on Zone.

How does Messij come through on the PSP's speakers? Do the lows come through at all or do you need headphones to hear them? That was my biggest worry in the event they put that track in an expansion.

EDIT: btw, w00t to not having a oxymoronic "new pilot" post status (given my join date)!

Vortex
3rd October 2005, 07:58 PM
P.E.T.R.O.L was a great track, very suited to Wipeout. It is on Orbitals "In Sides" album if I remember correctly.

As for the new content, fantastic. Cold Storage rocks, Vohl Square is really sweet and the Icaras almost makes me want to switch teams!

bakkufu
3rd October 2005, 08:11 PM
I love Cairodrome, but I agree that Wipeout should be on there, as should Messij

yawnstretch
3rd October 2005, 08:24 PM
to answer the question regarding how cold storage sounds through the psp speakers:
Not great - but then through the headphones it sounds oddly clearer than Im used to - which is great (could it have been resampled or something? - sounds very fresh).

Well done Studio Liverpool and well done on including more cold storage which REALLY slaps you clean across the face with the wipeout vibe.
I curiously found myself returning to the old zen/zone manner of flying - I think im finally settling into pure's control system for good now. Hopefully they've kept all the source code for use on PS3 or whatever because this stuff shouldnt be lost.

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 09:53 PM
bakkufu: Messij will be in the second classic music pack ;) It's already available for the US version.

Space Cowboy
3rd October 2005, 10:11 PM
Just got it, and Im well impressed! :)
Vohl Square is a brilliant track. I never palyed Fusion that much, for obvious reasons, but Im very impressed with the track. Its got a lovely ambience to it, especially when you blasting along to 'Messij' or 'Operatique'.
Im going to miss these little monthly treats from SL when Sony starts charging as of next year. :(

Lance
3rd October 2005, 10:40 PM
if Pure's Icaras is as great as described, then i am in desperate need of 400 dollars!!!

''no, Lance, NO. you're saving that for paying property taxes!!! put down that checkbook this INSTANT''

edit: could somebody PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAASSSSSSE show the new Icaras in this thread?

yawnstretch
3rd October 2005, 11:57 PM
It has to be seen moving to be truly appreciated and I think its the prettiest ship of them all.

eLhabib
4th October 2005, 02:31 AM
Lance, the Icaras is AWESOME! It feels VERY floaty, but handling and acceleration out of corners are equal to, if not better than Assegai's. Not to mention it has perfect top speed.
This ship is the first that ALMOST had me betray my beloved Assegai, Drak was there tonight to witness my struggle of conscience (and everyone who knows me knows how much I adore my Assegai).
I could not have imagined the Icaras any better than it is - it's purE's cadillac, and your ship, Lance, definitely!

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 03:06 AM
I myself had to struggle with the same decision - stay with Piranha or go with Icaras?

In the end, it was not the performance that decided this choice, but my heart. The feeling of betraying Piranha was too great, and the Icaras simply didn't have the same visceral thrill of sitting atop a nearly uncontrollable red missile Slim Pickins style and bending it to my will.

So here I am, applying a brand new Wile E. Coyote to my Piranha's hull after a bomb roasted the old one almost completely, lovingly detailing the armor plates to a superb crimson shine until the next plasma shot cinges it to a dull flat burgandy.

It comes down to feelings in the end. Go with your heart, you'll enjoy the race even more even if you're missing a scant few stat points.

Piranha Pride!

infoxicated
4th October 2005, 07:21 AM
LOL!

I'm the same with AG Systems at the moment - I'm not going to win any multiplayer games with it, but I'm using it for everything else. Then I got the Goteki yesterday and its stats are pretty tasty. If it wasn't a bit on the ugly side I'd probably make the switch! :)

Dogg Thang
4th October 2005, 07:50 AM
You know, I quickly got used to the look of the Goteki. I had the same reaction as you but it does seem to grow on you after a while.

The Icaras is a very pretty ship but I would have preferred it to look more dartlike from the back. I think it was Yawnstretch who pointed it out before but, looks-wise, the most important part is the back - because that's what we end up looking at. The Icaras looks stunning when the camera swings around it, but I don't think the back end does it justice. Feels nice though.

Lance
4th October 2005, 01:15 PM
[drools]

OTH, i notice that no one has posted so much as a menu selection wireframe of Icaras from the side.
plEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAASSSSE?

Dogg Thang
4th October 2005, 01:17 PM
Hmmm...my PSP is at home right now but if nobody has posted anything by this evening I'll try to get you a few pics Lance.

Edit: Actually there is a pic of it on www.wipeoutpure.com. Got to the US site and just hit 'more' on the Classic 3 pack to see it.

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 01:43 PM
No one has commented on the Icaras menu skin yet :)

It looks gorgeous, the purple text is soft on the eyes and the contrast easy enough that nothing gets lost while reading. The trio of Icaras butterflies is adorable, too!

yawnstretch
4th October 2005, 01:52 PM
Agreed - the icaras menu skin is cool

Hacker X
4th October 2005, 03:46 PM
I know its asking too much, but wouldn't it be cool to get some of the licensed songs from the other Wipeout's? :)

I'd love to have these return (all are my most favorite Wipeout songs):

- Landmass (FSOL) - WOXL

- Firestarter (Prodigy) - WOXL

- Know Where to Run (Orbital) - Wip3out

- Xpander (Dj Sasha) - Wip3out

- Doh T (Cold Storage) - Wipeout 1

- Transvaal (Cold Storage) - Wipeout 1

Pipe dream, but I can dream. haha. :P

Seek100
4th October 2005, 03:51 PM
The CoLD SToRAGE stuff is very much possible as we've seen as there are no record companies to deal with but all of the other songs would require a large cash sum to license all over again to use in a new wipEout.

Hacker X
4th October 2005, 03:53 PM
LOL, at you guys trying to stay with your teams. I've been a Qirex diehard since XL and I still stay with them. Even though they seem to be one of the toughest craft to use in the game cause of the slow accelleration and their forever floaty controls, but I stay the good fight with Qirex. :P

Also, has anyone seen the unlocked single race Gold medal pics yet for Vohl Square? Man, those are some cool renders of the a few of the Wipeout teams.

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 04:07 PM
The Feisar, Assegai and AG-sys from the Venom-Flash-Rapier single race Vohl Square golds are taken directly from the box cover of the japanese Pure version.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-70-4lz.html#

randomperson1
4th October 2005, 05:36 PM
the menu skin is ugly!

Seek100
4th October 2005, 05:52 PM
Those high-res pics of the Feisar, Assegai and AG-5Y5 were the cover shot (with all those blocky shapes in pink) of the Edge issue back when they previewed the game.

Sven
4th October 2005, 10:03 PM
I'd love to have these return (all are my most favorite Wipeout songs):

[etc.]

Pipe dream, but I can dream. haha. :PHeh, why don't we just have a Wipeout 1-3 soundtrack pack =P

The Icaras is great. Much better than I expected. I love the speed, and it's actually got some handling to back it up. I would have preferred 5 speed/5 thrust, but what're you gonna do. I did notice that it has a lower stat total than the other download ships, though...

I haven't played Vohl much yet, or even heard the new tracks so I can't really comment on those things.

Lance
4th October 2005, 10:53 PM
even with its very low WO3 thrust [2] and overall stats, i love it. the boost lasts longer than on any other ship there. does that happen in Pure? Icaras is all about the lovely speed. don't forget that on WO3, the handling is only 2 except in the Japanese version where it's 3 just as in Pure.

[note: Lance is quite drunk at the mo, so there could be more errors in his posts than you are accustomed to.]

Sven
5th October 2005, 12:09 AM
BTW, where's the Classic super-tourney?

G0rT
5th October 2005, 12:35 AM
You mean a 16 track tourney? If so I was wondering that too because gamma gave us decention.

Seek100
5th October 2005, 01:02 AM
No I think he means an 8 track tournament of both Classic packs together. There will not be a 16 track involving Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta because the Delta tracks don't really 'fit' anywhere, the Gamma tracks could be slotted in based on where they were on the island for the Descension but the Delta tracks are all enclosed. Plus we've already gone up the mountain, then down, what next? Sideways?

G0rT
5th October 2005, 03:09 AM
true, but both a 16 racer as well as a classic and classic 2 combined tourament would be really cool. Although there is the problem of the classic vr ships fitting in with the classic 2 races, in which of couse the ships look real.

gbit
5th October 2005, 03:57 AM
Well, I am highly impressed by this pack. The Icaras is brilliant, and to me, it feels like a ship from wo3se! I managed to miss my record on sebenco climb by 0.1s on my first try with the Icaras, even though I haven't been playing pure for a while. So I've now switched over to flying Icaras instead of Feisar and Zone.

Also, Porto Kora, Odessa Keys, and Vohl Square are all absolutely amazing tracks.

This is mighty impressive stuff, and is indicative of how good the Pure team really is.

element42
10th October 2005, 07:59 AM
I have to say that flying the Icaras round Vohl Square in Phantom with Cold Storage blaring through my headphones is an absolutely wonderful experience :D. It's a fantastic ship, I love the way it handles - it feels like a faster Assegai to me. It's also one of the better looking ships IMO. And who'd have thought that a Fusion track would turn out to be one of my favourite in Pure?

Megatron42
11th October 2005, 08:09 PM
Alright, I didn't think it was worth it to make a new thread about this, so I'll ask here -- What's with that round, white overhanging obstacle with the hole in it on Altima VII? The hole only seems to be reachable with specific crafts while on Phantom while using the boost and air controls at the right time, but once--ONCE--I flew through it (Qirex). Of course I was wusswagon'd before I could get my bearings and land back on the track, but I spent 30 minutes on practice just trying to do it again, to no avail. All the other times I just ran into it. :brickwall

Anyone have anything to say about this? Could it be useful since you wouldn't have to put your nose way down or decelerate to avoid it?

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 08:15 PM
who'd have thought that a Fusion track would turn out to be one of my favourite in Pure?

They did take the best track in Fusion, and now it's played with the Pure physics, so without the bad upgrade system in the way and JUMPS back in full force, that track is FUN to play again!

Sven
12th October 2005, 10:16 PM
Anyone have anything to say about this? Could it be useful since you wouldn't have to put your nose way down or decelerate to avoid it?Maybe they just thought they'd throw it in to teach people about pitch and speed control over jumps? I dunno...it's a bit annoying, but an interesting technical element.

Megatron42
12th October 2005, 11:41 PM
But the hole! Have any of you tried to make use of the hole in the overhang! One of you obsesso's had to have tried it.

eLhabib
13th October 2005, 12:23 AM
I jumped through it a couple of times, doesn't really pay off tho (other than being WAY COOL :wink: )

eLhabib
13th October 2005, 12:37 PM
not only vohl square, but also temtesh bay had a below-track section. furthermore, mandrashee had that switch to raise the bridge to a ramp, making it possible to take a shortcut OVER the mountain, rather than having to go around it.

Sausehuhn
13th October 2005, 12:49 PM
WHAT DID YOU DO????
doublepost!!!!

*runs away from Lance, the whole forum could blow up*

;)

eLhabib
13th October 2005, 12:54 PM
heyyy, I didn't doublepost! there was a post following mine, dunno by whom, but I answered to that! the guy mentioned the below-track section on vohl square 2 forward in fusion. where the hell did this post go?!

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 01:00 PM
it was moved to the fusion forum ;)

Sausehuhn
13th October 2005, 01:01 PM
hehe. Now explain that to Lance ;)

Btt: Fusion had A LOT of that sections. Too sad that Pure doesn't have something like this :(

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 01:06 PM
Anulpha Pass has a section like that - it can be leaped on at any speed class, and taking it is a huge advantage - straight line, more speed pads, and an opportunity to barrel roll if you leap down from the right edge of it since it's higher up and gives you time to complete the maneuver - but that ledge is NARROW, more challenging in higher classes, and a PERFECT place to trap with mines and bombs.

In short, it's a thing of beauty! :D

Sven
13th October 2005, 03:15 PM
But the hole! Have any of you tried to make use of the hole in the overhang! One of you obsesso's had to have tried it.I got through it once in a Qirex, then promptly overshot the landing and got reset. And it's not like there's a major complex chicane to fly over, so it doesn't help in that regard (like on P-Mar). There's really no point, except to show off, or maybe to avoid some traffic, bombs or mines.

Megatron42
13th October 2005, 06:03 PM
My post ended up in this thread
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2861

Lance
13th October 2005, 10:15 PM
damn. some people are determined to go offtopic and stay there. ;)

the only reason i didn't move both offtopicshouldabeenintheirowntopicbutposteristolaz ytostartanewone posts is cos i didn't have time. my boss was in my driveway honking the car horn and ready to go. soooooo.....

and there were too damn many posts following the first one.

now you know why moderators hate offtopic hijacking. correcting the mess is often damn near impossible and is a shitload of work.

to restore real logic to this thread, i would have to eliminate everything back to and including Megatron42 post 11 Oct 2005 20:09, and start two new threads in the proper sections, and split and append where necessary. too bad the forum software does not allow append. [unless i missed that possibility somehow]. so at least one relevant ontopic post would be lost.

and now you know why we have a confused thread

Megatron42
13th October 2005, 10:45 PM
I am fully and deeply sorry. I will make new threads from here on out.

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 10:59 PM
<Paul Harvey> And now you know... the REST of the story. </Paul Harvey>

Choad
14th October 2005, 08:00 PM
ahhh burst my bags! just went thru that little hole in the zone and landed it :D

satisfaction guaranteed

however its useless as a race tactic coz u'll fail it 90% of the time :D