PDA

View Full Version : Off topic discussion from Environment topic

Thanassos
21st September 2005, 12:23 AM
Also I don't buy the idea that all the races would take place over a week,... Taking the 16 tracks of the FX300 league (Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta) if they hold a race every fortnight that's still only 32 weeks for the entire season leaving 20 weeks of downtime until the next tournament, this is about comparable to modern day F1.

IMO I think that yes the races are held over say a week/month but that the championship IE FX300 Leauge, Im sure there would be other Racers like friendlys as such at other times in the year, the leauge is just where the best of the best come together to battle it out, think of it more like a Sporting Leauge where there is all the small mathces at the beginning of the year leading up to the Grand Final at the other end. :) A bit off topic I know :roll:

However I would love to see when your in the internal view for the information like current weapon/lap times etc to be displayed on kind of a tranparent HUD on the ship windsheild, like in the Intro of 2097 where the Quirex bloes the Feisar up, while you cna see the "Check time" on his wind sheild.

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 01:56 AM
Consider that you have 20 non-virtual tracks (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Omega) and five different speed classes, you could conceivably have 4 races of each class going on in any given day without ever re-using the same track twice in the same day (which accounts for repairing weapon damage over the next 20 hours for the next race)

Of course, it might be tough to find enough pilots skilled enough to have THAT MANY phantom races in a single day...

eLhabib
21st September 2005, 12:10 PM
dear lord! seeing as F1 pilots lose about 3 kilos per race on average, a pilot doing 4 phantom races in 1 day would need some serious medical care afterwards! :D

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 12:16 PM
Thus my comment about not having enough phantom level pilots for that many races ;) You'd have to have one for EACH race that your team does for that day - you'd probably end up having only one phantom race each week or two, at most, these top caliber events being the highlight of the week's racing calendar.

Lance
21st September 2005, 08:36 PM
but we're not talking about 300 Km per race. maybe only 15 or 20?
the pilots should be able to handle that without too much weight loss

eLhabib
21st September 2005, 08:47 PM
well I don't know what a factor the g-forces in an actual phantom race would be to your health, but I imagine they'd be a HUGE factor!

lunar
21st September 2005, 09:25 PM
And what about the effect on your health when your ship explodes into a fireball and vaporizes into atoms while you`re still inside? I`d imagine that`s not too good for your health either. In Fusion didn`t the pilots have a little escape pod thingy so they could get out alive? That was a nice litte nod to reality if my memory serves me OK.

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 10:00 PM
How's this for your health - hitting a wall while doing 900 Km/h and coming to a dead stop in the blink of an eye. It doesn't matter that you have the best protection equipment in the world, inertia is still going to crush your brain on your cranium like it was shot out of a cannon and onto a brick wall.

bakkufu
21st September 2005, 10:11 PM
Well given that the principle of AG's is that they distort the effect of gravity in equal proportions to its pull, the same effect could theoretically be achieved for lateral movement using the same principle. What would normally be heavy Gforce in a conventional craft could be offset by an equal an opposite gravity distortion.

Lance
21st September 2005, 10:19 PM
g-force and inertia are two different things. however, in the Star Trek universe, the ships used ''inertial dampers''. very nice for the transition from sub-lightspeed fo super-lightspeed. and the reverse.
we could do that

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 10:19 PM
But we're not talking about gravity here - we're talking about inertia. Even in deep space where there's so little gravitic influence that objects float freely, the slightest push in one direction will make it keep going in that direction almost forever, until SOMETHING exerts more force on it.

Trying to counter inertia from ONE direction by exerting force from the other is like trying to make your brain land SOFTER on the wall after it comes out of that cannon by making the wall itself move at 1000 km/h towards the brain. The total resulting force met by the poor brain is thus DOUBLED as a result. You might as well just ask your poor schmuck of a pilot to sign his will before strapping in your prototype kill-o-matic flying coffin.

EDIT: I see me and Lance had the same idea. And yes, an inertial dampener would be the solution, indeed.