PDA

View Full Version : It is closer than you think...

Mobius
28th September 2005, 06:55 PM
There are a couple of new schools which have opened in my area. And a design company have been given the task of creating the identities/uniforms for them.

Here is the logo for one.

http://www.odgie.co.uk/dump/stockley.gif

Deja vu anyone?

Edit: Photo cropped to the main part. Makes life easier...

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 06:58 PM
I don't quite get it...

looks like..... ....an A? Auricom? No clue :?

Mobius
28th September 2005, 07:00 PM
I thought it looked like the autopilot icon. :oops:

*exiles to a paralle universe where i'm always right*

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 07:02 PM
aaaaah NOW I see it.... well kind of... :D

Drakkenmensch
28th September 2005, 07:05 PM
As long as the uniforms don't have an "activate" button on them than makes the students lose control of their legs and makes them run face first into trees and walls... :twisted:

Megatron42
28th September 2005, 07:15 PM
Dammit Drakken! I was managing to fool everyone at work into thinking I was actually ... WORKING ... until I read your post and a big, chunky snicker escaped.

*imagines students running into walls and trees to their own dismay*

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 07:21 PM
don't forget BILLBOARDS! :D

Lance
28th September 2005, 07:32 PM
uniforms?!?!?! 8O but that's.... that's unamerican, that is! egad! what is the world coming to? argh. conformity. my ancient Neandertal ancestors fought wars against that kind of thing so that all humans might be free!
:)

element42
29th September 2005, 07:48 AM
But uniforms are freedom, Lance: freedom from having to decide what to wear every day. :roll:

Axel
29th September 2005, 09:58 AM
LOL element, that is so true!!! For those who live in the uk, have you noticed when you left secondary school and went onto higher learning, did you start spending more money on clothes? I know I did. All because we didn't need uniforms anymore :(

Omni Requiem
29th September 2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah, that pretty much true, but I felt more comfortable in my own clothes when I went into higher education.

lunar
29th September 2005, 11:18 AM
Furthermore, where you have freedom from uniforms in schools you get the tyrrany of peer-pressure and fashion. There are many cases in life where it is the rules we live by that enable more people to be free.

Lance
29th September 2005, 12:33 PM
there is no tyranny in fashion; either you are one of the people who do not care about it, or you are one who looks on it as an opportunity to compete with others for breeding status. if you are one who looks on it as an oppressive imposition, then you have allowed yourself to think that it means something, but do not want to participate, but you are free to choose not to care. or to fully participate. or to continue to wallow in misery. you are free. if fashion has been removed by the imposition of uniforms, you are no longer free.

element42
29th September 2005, 12:46 PM
you are free to choose not to care.Alas! If only we were all robots!
But seriously: If fashion has been removed by the imposition of uniforms, you are no longer free to choose how fashion affects you. But you are free to choose how the lack of fashion affects you; you may, for example, choose to ignore the uniform rules. Then, of course, those in authority are free to choose to harass you. And you are free to resist in whatever you way you feel like. And so on :roll:
Is this the point for an impassioned discussion about free-will versus determinism and how it affects 'free' choices?...

Shem
29th September 2005, 01:40 PM
probably. it just boils down to the conclusion that you can do whatever you want to.

element42
29th September 2005, 03:52 PM
Moreover, you do do whatever you want to do. It may not feel like it, but it's true - just that sometimes we're much rather do something that isn't so great as face the consequences. But does that mean that everything we do is chosen? Not at all, quite the opposite; for a decision is involuntary - if we had to decide to decide we'd never get anywhere. Does this mean that we never conciously choose anything?

do you want me to stop now? :wink:

lunar
29th September 2005, 04:44 PM
Lance, there would be no tyrrany in fashion if all people were as strong and independently minded, and as respectful of other people`s freedom as you are. Unfortunately they are not. In wanting to be fashionable, people don`t necessarily have to think that fashion itself is important; what many are really trying to do is to be liked.

Freedom from rules is only one type of freedom. You are not free, either, if you don`t feel you can dress and act as you like without suffering as a consequence. Nobody, or at least a very small proportion of fashion addicts, really suffers as a result of having to wear a school uniform. Every rule that is imposed comes at the cost of the removal of some degree of freedom, but sometimes this can result in a greater good, which in this case might include a reduction in teasing or bullying, greater concentration on schoolwork and more money left in the family bank account to spend on things that really matter. Whether they wear uniforms or not, the very fact that children are obliged to attend school at all means that they have lost their absolute freedom, but nobody is suggesting the abolition of schools.

Of course as individuals we are free to do what we want, and so is everyone else, which is one reason why we live by rules in the first place: so that we can live our lives in freedom from the constant fear of abuse, robbery, exploitation, oppression and murder. But there are still good rules and bad rules, and in an ideal world there wouldn`t be any at all.

Lance
29th September 2005, 08:28 PM
though we have rules out the wazoo, we still live in more-or-less ''constant fear of abuse, robbery, exploitation, oppression and murder.'' much of the oppression and exploitation is in fact caused by the people who make the rules and the politicians who work for them but pretend to be public servants.
[ooh...
Lance gets all political. ;) ]
ya know, i do believe that we have departed from the original topic of this thread. and it's probably [?]{!!!!!} my fault.

Axel
29th September 2005, 11:04 PM
It takes a good man to know when he is at fault :P yeah right.......... :roll:

Asayyeah
30th September 2005, 01:14 PM
As long as the uniforms don't have an "activate" button on them than makes the students lose control of their legs and makes them run face first into trees and walls... :twisted:

Can't resist to quote your post Drakkenmensch , cause every time i read it my eyes are crying just to imagine the scene : very very good one

lunar
30th September 2005, 01:59 PM
Yes it was definitely the gag of the month, possibly the year...... :lol:

Lance
30th September 2005, 09:20 PM
ah. the Microsoft button. yes

Seek100
1st October 2005, 02:28 AM
Microsoft just tried to convince me that they manufactured my graphics card, which was mighty amusing seeing as it was made by ASUS, but Microsoft Corporation knows best, it even refused to let me install the ATI drivers in place of the autmatic ones Windows finds. :roll:

Fortunately this was a spare graphics card and I can still use my GeForce FX from the industrial revolution, the heat sink/fan assembly takes up 2 ports and it makes more noise pollution than a steamliner (fan is on the way out methinks).

Lance
1st October 2005, 04:06 PM
just out of curiosity, do you happen to be using Windows XP?