PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Events?

mischiefdemon
27th September 2005, 02:22 PM
Is there any word on Wi-Fi Tournaments happening anywhere in the future?

I'd love it if there were an official thing planned in the UK or something.

I can picture it now. You'd be asked to register in your favorite team. you'd have 8 player races where everyone is a different team... it'd be awesome. SL could arrange for there to be some exclusive downloadable content for attendees, and maybe even some exclusive Team T-Shirts, badges and other bits & Pieces.

Hell I'd pay just to take part!

It wouldn't even have to be limited to purE, they could have link up circles for the previous WO games too.

Its just something I'd like to see in the future. If its something SL aren't interested in doing, how do you guys feel about getting something going? It'd be great if it were a yearly/monthly event.

What do you guys think?

element42
27th September 2005, 02:32 PM
Well, I'm sure this idea has been discussed before in a non-pure context, but I don't think it was ever feasible :? . But with the advent of pure's popularity, maybe SL could be involved... and it wouldn't require the use of bulky equipment - bring your own PSP! Although obviously having ps1 wipeout tournys at the same event would be just splendid. Count me in if it ever happens - I would certainly love to be involved :D
Maybe we can just persuade one rich british wiper to let us use his mansion for a weekend :wink:

mischiefdemon
27th September 2005, 02:36 PM
I think we should start pestering Puma... So they can give something back to the purE fans in the shape of tournament funding :). Don't know about anyone else but I'd buy Puma gear/clothing if it had WO team logos or something on them... they could potentually make a fortune.

I'd just like something along these lines to happen. :) It'd be one step closer to making WO a real sport! lol 8O

element42
27th September 2005, 02:40 PM
they'd have to be fairly-traded and organic... :radar unlikely for puma. but perhaps pestering them for some further pure sponsorship in the form of a pure meet would help to redress the way they've pissed us off - so that'll never happen, then :)

infoxicated
27th September 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm going to buy some new trainers tonight and I might get some Puma's to thank them for not crapping all over the Delta pack like they could have done. ;)

element42
27th September 2005, 04:39 PM
No, you're right. Repeat after me, 'it could have been worse, it could have been worse...'

randomperson1
27th September 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm going to buy some new trainers tonight and I might get some Puma's to thank them for not crapping all over the Delta pack like they could have done. ;)

See, the advertising DOES work...

mischiefdemon
27th September 2005, 05:03 PM
I really didn't mind the Advertising...

But this is getting off topic :P

lunar
27th September 2005, 05:20 PM
I`d like to help organise a wipeout competition/meet up/social somewhere in the middle of england - if it was that sort of area I think quite a few might come along? I wouldn`t be able to do anything until late winter or spring though.

Mo, I would offer the use of my mansion but as you`d all spill beer in my pool and scratch the jags I think it would be better to hire a function room or hostel somewhere :wink: All we need to do is find the right place at the right price and get at least 10 committed people - shouldn`t be too hard.

btw, if it ever happens you will recognize me by my lovely new trainers with a fantastically understated cat logo emblazoned in totally non-over the top colours down the side, aswell as my matching tracksuit trousers and jogging top.

element42
27th September 2005, 05:36 PM
Yes, if it's going to be a Pure-only event, then we just need a room, possibly with a large number of power outlets to recharge after much wi-fi use! We don't have to organise it on a formal basis as it'll just be some of us friendly wipers :). Like you say, shouldn't be too hard to find a place wherever we want. Just have to decide where... Somewhere easily accessible by train, please! Or perhaps you could send a couple of jags to pick us all up :) :wink:

Asayyeah
28th September 2005, 04:20 PM
Just in case if all of that could be possible, located in middle england + maybe 2 or 3 nights to be harboured by a friendly wiper near that convention : YOU can COUNT ME in.

Drakkenmensch
28th September 2005, 05:22 PM
Here's something I'd like to suggest if you're going to hold a pure tournament - make sure at least one person there has a computer with a usb cable and internet access in case a contender shows up without all the needed download packs.

I know it sounds obvious, but then again you'd be amazed at the sheer number of players who show up in the pure lobby on xlink kai and don't even have all the GAMMA packs yet.

This is the sort of snag that could result in a very high ratio of player having to forfeit for technical reasons.

element42
28th September 2005, 05:29 PM
If we organise a friendly get-together, it's probably going to be a reasonably small thing, comprised of known zone members - highly likely to be up-to-date, download wise. And if they're not, we'll beat them with fish. :pirate

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 06:32 PM
you can count me in for sure! flights to the UK are cheap as hell, just ned a place to stay and the meeting to be 2 days minimum in order to make it pay off.

I REALLY hope this will be happening :hyper

Renegäde
28th September 2005, 06:35 PM
Hey this all sounds awesome, you can count me in if it ever does happen. It sounds like a bit a bastard to get to for me though (i live in south-east london) but the potential of this is great!

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 06:40 PM
i live in south-east london

lol
I live in AUSTRIA, mate, I will have to TRAVEL there! :D

Renegäde
28th September 2005, 06:50 PM
Ok its not a contest! Heh, Im only a wee lad so its still pretty far for me.

element42
29th September 2005, 01:38 PM
how much are people able to afford for a weekend pure meet?...

mischiefdemon
29th September 2005, 03:49 PM
Its honestly not really an issue of cost for me (Unless its outside the UK) I'm up for some traveling. :)

Sven
29th September 2005, 06:01 PM
I wonder how much interest for such a thing I could build up at RIT here...

Asayyeah
30th September 2005, 12:50 PM
I live in AUSTRIA, mate, I will have to TRAVEL there! :D
:) same here !! i ve the channel to cross and i am in UK , then by train to this possible event.

Organisation is the main word of this kind of meeting. You need to fix the number of contenders; define quite precisely how the tournament is going to be, uniquely based on pure or possibility to play i-link with 2097 or W30 ( SE) ( that's i have done by organizing 2 little events with 4 friends first time and 7 the last time in march).

Here's my 2 pennies :wink:

lunar
30th September 2005, 02:10 PM
For technical simplicity it should be based mainly on Pure, I think. Though there would surely have to be a "retro corner" with the old games available. A couple of setups running 2097 and 3SE on link would probably be enough. ?

eLhabib
30th September 2005, 02:24 PM
yeah, I think 1 2097 i-link station (means 2 tvs and 2 PS1s) and 1 w3oSE i-link station should be enough for even a little tournament inbetween purE play.

Seek100
30th September 2005, 03:10 PM
What about the original, give ol' wipEout 1 some love, many newer fans haven't even played it.

eLhabib
30th September 2005, 03:24 PM
true!
I could support 1 copy of each abovementioned game, btw. (I could also bring a PS2 and Fusion, if anyone is interested... :blarg )