PDA

View Full Version : Al-Vaskei logo

randomperson1
25th September 2005, 07:09 PM
As the founder of Al-Vaskei, I think it's time it had it's own logo. Any Suggestions welcome.

EDIT: Al-Vaskei's colours are usually green and silver, although they currently strapped down by sponsors

Task
26th September 2005, 12:37 AM
Green and silver! That's great!

Q: What shade of green?
A: Money green.
Q: What shade of silver?
A: Money silver.
Q: Do they have any other team colour?
A: Gold.
Q: What shade of... never mind.

mischiefdemon
26th September 2005, 08:09 AM
This is cool, Do they have a company slogan?

randomperson1
26th September 2005, 03:26 PM
No. They need a slogan as well

Sausehuhn
26th September 2005, 04:01 PM
"vaskei" is a word used in Norway... so that is what google says when I entered "vaskei". I found a few sites using this word and then took a look at the domain. It ended with ".no". And "no" stands for Norway.
but I didn't find any translation for the word.

I though it would be easier to make a logo if we would know what "vaskei" means...

Hm... Is there an user from Norway on the Zone?

randomperson1
26th September 2005, 04:19 PM
Vaskei wasn't supposed to be norweigian...
and plus... it's al-vaskei!
I invented the name + story, and I'm NOT norwegian...
so no 'translated' norweigian sayings please...

Mobius
26th September 2005, 05:33 PM
Al-Vaseki: Let us take that heavy looking money off your back... :p

Anyway, isnt green and silver the colours of the UAE flag?

Seek100
26th September 2005, 05:44 PM
I believe they were supposed to be Arabic anyway, at least I thought that was what randomperson's backstory implied - the 'Al-' is a dead givaway and green and silver crop up in many arabic and muslim flags.

Kansas
26th September 2005, 06:01 PM
Al Vaskei? what's that?

mclarensmps
26th September 2005, 06:02 PM

nah, UAE IS Red Green Black and white.

The colours that come closest are Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Both have only green and white on their flags with green being the dominant colours.

Kansas
26th September 2005, 06:03 PM
Al Vaskei? what's that?

btw...

the flag of the United Arab Emirates is red, green, white and black.

http://www.fundarabist.ru/Caravan/AllState/Flag/Uae.jpg

Mobius
26th September 2005, 06:06 PM
Al-veseki is the adopted name of the team which is also know as puma one. Quantax being the puma 2 team.

Me personally would call the teams Castor and Pollux but i'm not imaginative.

randomperson1
26th September 2005, 06:19 PM
So, enough of the who is Al-Vaskei stuff, PLZ could we have some more suggestions. the more the merrier. :wink: :wink:

Omni Requiem
26th September 2005, 10:28 PM
Here's a few arabic proverbs that I think go well with it or can be used as a basis:

"From small beginnings come great things"
"There’s no mileage in it"
"Melted into thin air"

Or maybe "From thin air to mileage"

Lance
26th September 2005, 10:56 PM
"From thin air to mileage"

lol. i love it

brokenvoice
27th September 2005, 08:07 AM
I don't know what the ships look like but it's trivial to make the ships in the badge to look more like the AV ship, but apart from that comments and suggestions welcome.
http://bouncebounce.org/stuff/al-vaskei.png

element42
27th September 2005, 09:29 AM
wow 8O you're good.

Drakkenmensch
27th September 2005, 09:56 AM
Wow. That's an awesome logo! :D

eLhabib
27th September 2005, 10:35 AM
the fontstyle is great! :clap did you create it from scratch or deprive it from an existing font?

I am not sure about the...errr...'shape' thingy tho. it doesn't look like much to me, and the detail is too fiddly (like the mini-star in the middle) - might wanna rework that. the rest is very arabic-looking tho 8)

brokenvoice
27th September 2005, 11:03 AM
thanks for the feedback. the badge was an afterthough as the logotype was always going to be the tricky part. It's from scratch. I was getting a bit sick of the standard wipeout-ish fonts so I just created the shape components and mixed, matched and tweaked till I was happy enough with it.

I'll give more thought to the badge but I do agree that it's a bit fiddly. The thing is, if ou look at Islamic (and to an extent arabic) art, it generally is quite fiddly.

eLhabib
27th September 2005, 11:19 AM
I understand what you are saying - still, if you look at the other logos in purE, they are held in a very straight, simple design. Furthermore, the pictogram has to be something strong by itself, so that it can stand without the name. Take that into account and i am sure you will come up with something good.

brokenvoice
27th September 2005, 12:20 PM
I know what you mean. The trouble is, I don't actually like the logos in W: P but I am aiming for it to be in the same universe.

Well, I like the Harimau logo, but it's just a little too similar to the Ubuntu Linux logo. Especially when you compare aims of the two enterprises.

I'll mull it over then tonight I'll take another pass at it.

randomperson1
27th September 2005, 03:44 PM
Wow. Now that is a great logo.
As for the slogan, that 'from thin air to mileage' slogan is great, too!
So, should we choose them, then?

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 02:27 AM
Hey there!
Looking at some modern arabic writing, I came up with this logo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GallagherKnight/al-vaskeilogo.png
I took the same colors as brokenvoice, they seemed quite right to me (although it might take some fiddling to find the perfect tones).
Hope y'all like it :)

props to drak for hosting the image, seeing as I am totally crap with uploading stuff and don't know sheit about personal webspace either... :D

G0rT
28th September 2005, 02:32 AM
looks awesome, and very arabic, nice!

brokenvoice
28th September 2005, 06:48 AM
I like it but I'd be wary of using religious symbolism.

Really.

xEik
28th September 2005, 08:05 AM
I really like the lettering used by eLhabib. :D

My attempts are in http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=141

Both are inspired on arabic country flags.

The first one I did (the 26kB one) is a variation of the Piranha logo. Notice that the logo goes from right to left instead of left to right because arabic reads from right to left. The reason for the similarities would be that al-vaskei uses Piranha's engine from last season; the same way some modest F1 teams use the engines as the best teams but one year later.

The second one tries to be a fussion of a scimitar and an arrow sign (arrows seem to fit in WO as a graphic icon :D ). However I'm worried that it looks too much like a Nike logo and I bet the people at Puma wouldn't be too happy. :lol:

Finally, the text is in proper arabic letters but I have no idea if it would read as something similar to al-vaskei since I know almost nothing about that language. I tried to do it by the names of the letters (which I checked) but I'm sure I didn't produce a word that is pronounced like al-vaskei. Again, notice that it reads from right to left. The hyphen is also bogus. It is not a hyphen but it looked nice as one. ;)

Like in the T-shirt competition I feel that I'd need some feedback to push one of the designs further to a more polished state.

Dogg Thang
28th September 2005, 08:23 AM
I really like these but, as had been said before in this thread, the style of all Pure logos is much more simple and graphic. Perhaps use these as your starting point but try to bring it to its most basic form - limit yourself to a certain number of lines or curves and see where that brings you.

The thing to do then is to line it up among the other Pure logos and see if it fits!

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 11:27 AM
I like your ideas xEik, although I feel that a team logo should be readable. just look at the way AG-5Y5 logos throughout ALL wipEout games have been done. They always LOOK like they are written in japanese, but they never really ARE. that's what I like so much about the logos in w'o'', they read in english, but still represent different languages.

randomperson1
28th September 2005, 03:08 PM
Let's keep the suggestions coming for the slogan and logo!
Entries open until Oct. 3rd. Does that sound like a good date?

Megatron42
28th September 2005, 07:31 PM
eLhabib:

Whoa! Kickass! I'd race their craft.

The crescent and star makes for a recognizable origin. My only fear is that the writing is too thin to be like a Wipeout-style logo. But I love it: arabic with a hint of Wipeout geometry. The triangular organization is cool too. Since every team has an abbreviated symbol (Qirex's Q comes to mind), I suggest something of the same triangular shape for these guys.

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 10:16 PM
I am not overly confident with the crescent logo myself. I mainly developed the font, so i got too tired to come up with a descent pictogram icon for it. I just took 'something that looks arabic' for now. I will, however, try to find a better icon.

Conecerning the font: I tried to make it a bit broader, but then it lost the arabic touch completely. But seeing as the ship itself is a very sleek and agile one, the thin lines of the logo font represent it quite well i feel.

Seek100
29th September 2005, 12:06 AM
The crescent and star should probably be replaced, for starters they're muslim not arabic, there's a difference, not all arabs are muslim you know, and not all muslims are arabs. Something more unique to the team, something geometric like the other teams. Assegai doesn't have anything African for it's symbol so it's not a requirement.

The font on the other hand looks brill' eLhabib, wipEout style is determined by which game you look too, I think it looks great on it's own, not every team has to conform to thick lettering.

Omni Requiem
29th September 2005, 12:45 AM
Well, here's my first stab at it. Any critisism welcome.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/Omni_Hunter/Al-Vaskielogo2.png

mclarensmps
29th September 2005, 03:23 AM
Alrighty, here's my stab at it! The current colour scheme suggests UAE Origin, but if the logo is liked, the colours can always be changed for suitability! Also have a little slogan to go with it, what do you guys think?

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5948/alvaskeilogo2zp.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5948/alvaskeilogo2zp.jpg

excuse the bad image quality, just made it to fit the <40k rule!

Omni Requiem
29th September 2005, 07:40 AM
I'm liking the font and the slogan. It seems a bit busy but other than that it's pretty cool.

Edit: Second try,
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/Omni_Hunter/AVsmall.png
And a high res version here
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/Omni_Hunter/AV.png

mischiefdemon
29th September 2005, 07:46 AM
I particularly like the big AV in the background mclarensmps (very wipEout'y), but as Omni Requiem said the forground is too busy.

I think for a team logo the big AV works fine on its own. With maybe the 'Al-Vaskei' Text over the top. I'd say remove everything else... If you do that, then yours is my favourite. :)

xEik
29th September 2005, 07:47 AM
Since elHabib is right about being able to read the team's name I have stolen his IMHO excellent lettering just to see how would it look combined with the scimitar logo.
It's the 20 kB image in http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=141

I hope eLhabib doesn't get angry at me for doing so. It was just meant for experimentation. :)

eLhabib
29th September 2005, 10:36 AM
I like it!
I'll return the favor and experiment a little on that arrow of yours, so maybe together we can create the good thing :wink:

mclarensmps
29th September 2005, 12:11 PM
mmm! eLhabib's font with the scimitar logo does look really nice actually xEIk, i think you guys should play around with the colours a little bit though, as they are a bit too dull, and don't stand out too much.

Omni, your logo reminds me alot of iron maiden for some reason :P, try to remove teh seriff o\n the V (the triangle that jutts out the left) and see what that does for you.

I like "In the Horizon" as well.... sounds really cool.

Thanks for the comment on my logo mischief (and omni), ill get rid of the green symbols above the AV and move the writing a bit and see what happens, those symbols were just there as wipeout versions of symbols from the arabic language but youre right it might just be a tad too much. I'll try and sort it out after classes today and post you guys with an update!

fredo mAn
29th September 2005, 12:35 PM
Sorry to bring this up guys, but

"vaskei" is a word used in Norway... so that is what google says when I entered "vaskei". I found a few sites using this word and then took a look at the domain. It ended with ".no". And "no" stands for Norway.
but I didn't find any translation for the word.

I though it would be easier to make a logo if we would know what "vaskei" means...

Hm... Is there an user from Norway on the Zone?

Yes, there is.

And, you're far off :P
Vaskei is not a word i Norway; actually, I've nerver heard it before at all...

Anyway, it would be rather odd to use an Norwegian translation for an Arabic team...?

I like the logos!
But the second latest one seems a little hard to read. and the first one were maybe too... "slick" (can you say that?? hey! i'm from norway...)
Personally I don't think the logo should contain too mutch of a red-ish-dark tone..
But that's just my opinion....

good work anyway!!!

randomperson1
29th September 2005, 03:47 PM
Wow, loads of suggestions guys!
keep up the good work!

Sausehuhn
29th September 2005, 03:48 PM
don't understrand me wrong, but for all these people who used an arabian font for their logo:
it's a little bit clichéd, isn't it?

I mean just because Qirex is russian not every letter looks like a russian one. Same for Piranha (if it's japanese and not brazil): the letters don't look like japanese ones, they're "normal". I think this is the same all the way.

So just because it's an arabian team it shouldn't have these "I want to look like arabian"-fonts.
But that's just my opinion :)

mischiefdemon
29th September 2005, 03:51 PM
Sausehuhn, I think thats why I like mclarensmps's the most so far, take out that excess and just have the AV and the team name and its the most "wipEout" so far, in my opinion.

randomperson1
29th September 2005, 04:37 PM
To Sausehn, Piranha were never a Japanese ship. They originated as a chinese team and then became a brazilian team (makes more sense). EG-r are the chinese team and AG-S are the Jap team.

xEik
29th September 2005, 04:57 PM
Well, for instance, I don't think that there is something as the red (whatever asian religion icon of your choice) but there is indeed a red crescent as opposed to the red cross symbol.

I think that arabian people like to make clear the differences between them and occident. They are proud of being different from the current mainstream culture in the world.

Besides, in Pure there is an Auricom logo variation that ressembles the USA flag. I think there was a version of Feisar logo in W'O" that had the twelve stars of the European Union. Qirex has the Russian letter similar to x. Even the AG-5Y5 logo in WO3 has assian eyes.

lunar
29th September 2005, 05:11 PM
I think the elhabib/xeik collaboration is coming along nicely. IMO the scimitar might work better under the text, or generally being smaller. I think it should also be more obvious what it is, and it should look more animated and threatening, like it's caught in mid-swoosh, to use a technical term.

Sausehuhn
29th September 2005, 05:23 PM
@ randomperson1

yeah, you're 100% right. I mixed up japanese and chinese :dizzy

Seek100
29th September 2005, 05:33 PM
Qirex has the Russian letter similar to x.

Which is actually a 'zhe' when written in the standard latin alphabet, though Qirezhe would sound a little odd.

I agrree with lunar the xEik/eLhabib collaboration is definetly yielding great results, though I do quite like the bold simplicity of mclarensmps' choice of font style, and the UAE colours are certainly more eye-catching than the rather muted green and silver.

Sausehuhn
29th September 2005, 06:30 PM
The upper semicircle is the shape of an "A", the lower semicircle is the shape of a "V".
So "A" and "V" for Al-Vaskei - but that's nothing new :D

http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/sonstiges/al-vaskei.PNG

element42
29th September 2005, 06:56 PM
ooh, i like that 8). just make the V semi-circle pointier at the bottom too...

Sausehuhn
29th September 2005, 08:00 PM
changed the "V" a little bit, hope that's what you meant, element42.
I'm still not 100% fine with the logo, maybe I will change the "V" a little bit more, so that the whole thing looks more like a circle but the "V" still like "V".

But not today.

Lance
29th September 2005, 08:37 PM
Max, i like that one. [thumbs up]

-----------

OT: my beloved Icaras is thankfully without country of origin. :) !!! ^_______^

lunar
29th September 2005, 09:23 PM
yeah that`s a very good one. with a bit of work it could become very much like a wipeout 3 logo. Like Mo says, the bottom needs to be pointier, and you need to work on the colours too - but well done.

eLhabib
29th September 2005, 10:06 PM
wow, Max, I like it a lot!
reminds me a bit of van-über, though - you might wanna make it a bit edgier and more aggressive. The idea is GREAT!

EDIT (to avoid double post):

UPDATE!
I have expanded on xEik's arrow and came up with THIS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GallagherKnight/al-vaskeilogonew.png

I used the colors of the UAE flag, as they strongly represent pride with a little bit of aggression :wink:

Thanks again to drak for hosting the image!

Drakkenmensch
29th September 2005, 10:31 PM
WOW!!!

That is both very arabic and TOTALLY Wipeout!!!

BEST. ONE. YET!!!

Omni Requiem
29th September 2005, 10:43 PM
I agree there, that looks awesome.

mischiefdemon
29th September 2005, 10:59 PM
eLhabib, Minor suggestion, I took your design and altered it slightly, more wipEout'y arrows :)

http://www.mischiefdemon.com/pictures/al-vaskei.gif

What do you think?

eLhabib
29th September 2005, 11:39 PM
actually, if you look closely at my logo, the arrows create an A and a V.

furthermore, the arrows follow the same angles as the font does, plus the same ratio of thickness.

Hyper Shadow
30th September 2005, 10:16 AM
They do look good, but if you have to explain the design, I doubt its very effective. To be honest I can hardly make out the A and V.

Asayyeah
30th September 2005, 01:04 PM
El , you have done a great work on that logo .

You should suggest 'king Fahd ' from UAE to invest in research & development about AG craft.
I am sure he has got enough money :D

randomperson1
30th September 2005, 03:51 PM
That's a nice one but Al-Vaskei is not a UAE team it's a Saudi team.

Colours are green, silver, and gold.
Try it again with the gold replacing the red colours.
Let's see what it looks like like that.

Mobius
30th September 2005, 04:06 PM
They are cool designs but i think personally you need to deviate from arrows as the league logos are usually represented by them. But they rock nethertheless.

Edit: Well, here is my attempt at a logo. Looks more hebrew than arabic to me...

http://www.odgie.co.uk/dump/alvaskei.gif

It is the size of a psp wallpaper if anyone is intrested...

Sausehuhn
30th September 2005, 04:39 PM
So here is my updated Logo. Thanks to eLhabib for suggestions and advices :)
I didn't changed a lot, just a few things.
I think I don't wanna make the logo pointier at the button too, because I want to keep the circle. Now, with the small, gold/yellow line, the upper semicircle looks more like an "A", didn't changed the "V", because I like it this way :)

The colors are green and silver (like randomperson1 said), just the line in gold. I'm not sure if the green looks very good, not because it's a color I don't like, more because it's not really something that fits the color sheme of the WipEout logos.

so, here it is:

edit:
made the logo again, with a darker green. So here is the "old" one and the new one:

http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/al-vaskie_bright.PNG

http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/al-vaskie_dark.PNG

no. 1 high res (http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/al-vaskei_bright_big.PNG)
no. 2 high res (http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/galerie/al-vaskei_dark_big.PNG)

randomperson1
30th September 2005, 04:48 PM
The choices!

Drakkenmensch
30th September 2005, 06:41 PM
Oh my! There are decisions no man should have to make ;)

Hellfire_WZ
30th September 2005, 07:23 PM
I seriously like Max's latest one, it feels the right sort of style.

eLhabib
30th September 2005, 08:54 PM
That's a nice one but Al-Vaskei is not a UAE team it's a Saudi team.

Colours are green, silver, and gold.
Try it again with the gold replacing the red colours.
Let's see what it looks like like that.

not to sound cocky, but who are you to dictate the color scheme? You came up with the name for this team - and a very good one, I'll give you that - but that doesn't mean it's YOUR team.
Maybe we should have a poll (*ducks for cover*) deciding what the colors should be, so that the majority can be happy.

Lance
30th September 2005, 09:41 PM
if one invents the team concept history and name, it is sorta their team, isn't it?

Zero [RG] [HG]
1st October 2005, 04:28 AM
Seconded.

If you think of it, it really is, isn't it?

I don't know what I just said

mclarensmps
1st October 2005, 04:41 AM
agree, if it is out of someones imagination, it should be exactly as one envisioned, therefore, he/she will choose a design by a designer/illustrator that best suits what the creator dreamed up of!

speaking of which... i still need to work on my design some. and, max, i really really like the font you used for your last design.

mobius i love the simpliciy in your design but it seems more like the logo says NU rather than AV, its only because those of us know what the designs are for that we can make the connection easily, but to someone who doesnt know, they will wonder whats going on, because it might seem like youre trying to say NU al vaskei. but i love the minimalistic style, fantastic!

mclarensmps
1st October 2005, 05:11 AM
attempt #2. now that i know its a SA based team

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/366/alvaskeilogo24os.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/366/alvaskeilogo24os.jpg

bacrist07
1st October 2005, 06:47 AM
i have a few logo designs but how do i get them on here. I know i have to put a url to them but how do i do that? could i im them to someone or something?

eLhabib
1st October 2005, 11:21 AM
mclarensmps, you logo is ADORABLE! The AV combination is GREAT, reminds me a bit of trikais, but that's ok. I wouldn't pick two color tones so close together though, maybe a gold tone for the 'al' would do.
Nice work! :clap

mclarensmps
1st October 2005, 05:27 PM
thanks for the kind words eLhabib! by your recommendation, i changed the colour to a beigish gold, to see if it works any better.

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/4130/alvaskeilogoelhabcolourtheme5p.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/4130/alvaskeilogoelhabcolourtheme5p.jpg

Hyper Shadow
1st October 2005, 05:45 PM
That logo is awesome mclarensmps. It gets my vote ^_^

Lance
1st October 2005, 07:09 PM
looks damn good both ways. i like the subtlety and unity of the two shades of green so it at first glance is an abstract symbol while the words show up when you look again, but on the other hand the gold and green is more quickly readable

bacrist07
1st October 2005, 10:46 PM
someone please tell me how to get a pic to a specific url. don't hate me cause im NOOBiful.

Megatron42
2nd October 2005, 05:03 AM
mclarensmps = winnar.

imho.

mclarensmps
2nd October 2005, 06:40 AM
thanks for the kind words guys, im gonna try to superimpose a colour scheme with the logo (or variations of it) in my piranha/harimau concept sideviews and see what they look like (maybe tomorrow), maybe dream up of a nice slogan to go with it as well. I also need to come up with a green/silver colour scheme that randomperson1 originally planned and see how that looks. the thing is i absolutely LOVE Sausehuhns typeface in his designs and it would be wicked if maybe we could collab our designs to work together or something like that.

bacris, go to an imagehosting site such as www.imageshack.us and just upload a picture (anything under 1000k to upload and anything under 40k to be able to post it directly on this forum) there and link it to us. get your ideas across =)

Distrupto
2nd October 2005, 09:09 AM
The real Al-Vaskei logo will be out wen a non-sponsered version of Al-Vaskei comes out. Will Coke and Puma even be here in 2197 or later? Really, the Coke and Puma branded ships r only for the advertising benefit of the currently existing Coke and Puma companies. If u look closely in some tracks like Sinucit or Cita Nuova, u can even see an ad for "Cofee".

Sausehuhn
2nd October 2005, 11:03 AM
the thing is i absolutely LOVE Sausehuhns typeface
The font I used is selfmade. So it's a graphic, not a real font. I tried a little bit and then I recognised that the "v" and the "a" in "Vaskei" would look good together, I got the idea to "connect" the letters. Great to hear that you like it :)

element42
2nd October 2005, 12:42 PM
Really, the Coke and Puma branded ships r only for the advertising benefit of the currently existing Coke and Puma companies.Well I never. That hadn't occured to me. :wink:

randomperson1
2nd October 2005, 01:01 PM
Al-Vaskei will NOT be appearing in pure unbranded, according to Colin Berry, so this logo may never be used. You never know, though.

Distrupto
2nd October 2005, 01:34 PM
It might just appear as a non-branded team if we're lucky. But I think that we wont have many more unbranded ships and tracks to download since SCE has found a new way to make money from its game by using its virtual tracks' billboards and its virtual ships to advertise real-life companies. This way, they'll keep offering more branded download packs as they bring in sponsers. That sucks, but like real F1 racing, the money comes from the sponsers. It seems Icaras might be the last of the "unbranded series" ships and Europe & Asia may never get the real Delta Packs.

mclarensmps
2nd October 2005, 03:52 PM
regardless i think its alot of fun to come up with logo designs for the sake of the history and image of the team atleast for its story

Jittery-Joe
2nd October 2005, 06:46 PM
Al-Vaskei will NOT be appearing in pure unbranded, according to Colin Berry, so this logo may never be used. You never know, though.
Thats a pity, but i'd be a good idea to bring out a 'Fan pack' or something like that, y'know designed by the fans...

randomperson1
3rd October 2005, 03:40 PM
Yes, Gamespy had an interview with an SL member and he mentioned that... Who would be willing to try?

mclarensmps
3rd October 2005, 07:45 PM
if we pool together the talents of our board members we could present the guys with a pretty decent offer imho.

randomperson1
3rd October 2005, 08:04 PM
So who's prepared to do it?

Sausehuhn
3rd October 2005, 08:08 PM
before we try to do skins etc. we should have a final logo, shouldn't we?

bacrist07
3rd October 2005, 09:59 PM
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/7056/av79xt.png (http://imageshack.us)

by the way...thanks mclaren for telling me how to put this on here.[/img]

Lance
3rd October 2005, 10:18 PM
bacrist07, that's a whole lotta code there, podnuh. the url tags and associated address are unnecessary; all that you need is this part [substitute brackets for the reversed parentheses]:

)img(http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/7056/av79xt.png)/img(

bacrist07
3rd October 2005, 10:27 PM
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/428/av20rp.th.png (http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=av20rp.png)

sooo are we ever gonna pick a logo? if so, how? are we gonna vote or something?

edit by Lance: two sequential posts only 2 minutes apart by same author combined into one. read the guidelines, please.

randomperson1
4th October 2005, 05:38 PM
Who can make a vote?

Mobius
4th October 2005, 05:59 PM
Hang on! I've got another attempt coming up... :)

Edit: here it is...
http://www.odgie.co.uk/dump/alvaskei2.gif

Sausehuhn
19th December 2005, 03:48 PM
I know this thread is old, but: do we have a final logo now? There are so many different logos in this thread an nobody really said which logo should be used for the team in the end...

alien99
10th October 2006, 06:34 PM
I found this thread in the 12th hour :D

I have my own logo idea and explanation..all about that stuff around...sorry for my english

so..here is the reference pic:

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/wipeout/alvaskei.jpg

..LEGEND:

logo 1-4...developing the logo and all things about that
..as you all here say: it must be simple, like other PURE wipeout logos,
geometric and technical design.....
so I´ve thought about simple graphic of the AV or ALV letters.
A-L-V combination looks better for me :+
The AL-VASKEI CORPORATION TEXT is simple FX 300 font
..any suggestion...?
logo 4-12
color variations.....

color explanation:
GREEN- money..lots of course :)
DARK YELLOW-sand dunes of Arabia
RED- the blood of the hard life in the dunes.
BLACK- the dark gold -OIL.
GREY- it represents association to the asphalt or track color=>we make ag crafts or something....

and the motto?....how about : FEEL THE SPEED
..what you think_?......

andy
10th October 2006, 07:23 PM
I think ALV would look good

alien99
10th October 2006, 07:54 PM
something like that?...

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/wipeout/alvaskei2.jpg

Lance
10th October 2006, 10:36 PM
I like number 9 the best because it has the green and the red right next to each other.

Lion
11th October 2006, 05:26 AM
no.5 would be my preference, I can't qualify that statement, it just appeals to me the most

Mad-Ice
11th October 2006, 12:28 PM
Every day i learn something new. Today i found this thread for the first time, very nice!8)

A big up for the designers:+

I liked the designs from eLhabib the most; new type of font and everything belongs to eachother, team, country, logo, colours and font. Superb.

All the other designs are also very nice, we have some good artists on the zone. Looking forward already to see more of everyone.

Wolfen
12th October 2006, 07:12 PM
Every submittal so far has been stunningly good! I'm continually amazed at the level of telent and artistic (not to mention technical!) ability on display at these forums. Great job to everyone, I'm envious of you all.

:mr-t

Alien99, I think your submittals perfectly reflect the WipEout universe/style, and hopefully the designers will pick your design in the next game (it seriously could happen). I'd be just as pleased with one of mclarensmps designs though.

Omni Requiem
12th October 2006, 08:09 PM
Wow, this is still going. I've had a browse through the submissions too, and I'm pretty impressed. Although I like designing ships, designing logos and detailed liveries is something I can't do at all.

Zerow
13th October 2006, 12:28 AM
I'm currently designing my own WipEout team as well, complete with a back-story. I will of course be posting it on this forum once it's finished, but I have other things to be getting on with at the moment too.

Asayyeah
13th October 2006, 12:32 AM
héhé we are all busy men here :)
Any new artworks, 3D modelling, storyboards, videos are always wellcome from our sweet WZ artists :+

Captain Q
22nd October 2006, 04:21 PM
Alien99, I like your no10 the most, as I think this evokes colours I don't associate with another team yet. It's nice.

I'll also repeat what I said earlier on future teams though... I don't think Arabic has a <v>! That may seem linguistic nitpicking to some, but I think this is very important to preserve a feeling of realism and connection. For the same reason I will never really like Van-Über because it's an ugly mash-up of Dutch and German.

Lance
22nd October 2006, 06:29 PM
But mash-ups do occur very frequently in real life.

Captain Q
23rd October 2006, 08:06 PM
I knew someone was going to say something like that :).

Without wanting to be pedantic though, a mashed-up proper name is a rare occurrence. There are Germans whose last name starts not with 'von' but 'van' (like Ludwig Van Beethoven) but they are of Dutch/Belgian descent, and having 'Über' after it would be very strange, because the word for 'über' in Dutch is 'over' and Dutch doesn't have an umlaut. That said, I don't even think the name 'Von Über' exists in German, as it's pretty meaningless from a etymological point of view.

Sausehuhn
23rd October 2006, 08:26 PM
Agreed.