PDA

View Full Version : Only Gold Medals

MaxxMedievil
19th September 2005, 09:46 PM
Everyone play like me? :?
I DON'T START ANOTHER RACE IF I DON'T HAVE A GOLD MEDAL IN THE LAST ONE.
I have now 145 Gold Medals, and i have some dificult in some time trials to achieve the Gold Medal :!:
Gamma Pack looks nice to race but the time is really short on time trials.
In other tracks like Karbonis and CitaNuova i make Gold Medal at first race, i think this ones are more dificult. 8)
What WipeOut Pure Racers think about this :?:

yawnstretch
19th September 2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah -Im a bit like this - but I hate playing the slower classes. I have Gold everything in Phantom and that's all that matters to me. Something like 177 medals.

Rouni Kenshin#1
19th September 2005, 11:14 PM
Kinda i just made sure i had them all in each class before moving up this really helped me be ready for the higher speed classes.

G'Kyl
19th September 2005, 11:44 PM
Yep, I too get gold or don't race any further. Don't know, it's that sort of obsession I have with some sorts of video games. I also can't play 1st-person shooters other than at highest difficulty levels. Guess there's some huge ego somewhere close... ;) I also never submit records before they are good enough to be among the top three or something (except in XL where there is no Piranha switch *hint!* ;-) ).

By the way, Rouni made this jump into my mind: Playing Pure from the very start and not doing anything else but unlocking Phantom class as quickly as possible takes you something short of two hours. Just so you know. Which you don't. *cough* Anyway, back on topic. *g*

Ben

Drakkenmensch
19th September 2005, 11:57 PM
This brings up an interesting point - among those of you who got all gold medals, who has done so WITHOUT using Zone or Medievil?

eLhabib
20th September 2005, 12:22 AM
I have.
it's all assegai love, baby! 8)

oh and to maxxmedievil: going for gold only is the one and only way to go, isn't it? I wouldn't even have THOUGHT of going to the next race without having gold (except for races within a tournament, that is).

Purist
20th September 2005, 06:55 AM
I DON'T START ANOTHER RACE IF I DON'T HAVE A GOLD MEDAL IN THE LAST ONE.

Yessirree! I was so impressed with that dood who had 249, he got skillz!

BaldyCurly
20th September 2005, 07:35 AM
I follow the "Gold and then move on" method too. I work up from the slower classes, helps me learn the tracks.

I have used the zone ship a couple of times along with all the others too but I have kinder settled with Puma1, quite a fast ship but with nice handling I think.

Managed a Zone 44 on the first Zone track, the speed is starting to come back now, still struggling with the new airbrakes/sideshift. Also, can;t get on with the nub so using Digital.

Hellfire_WZ
20th September 2005, 08:17 AM
I did use the Zone craft (*gag*) initially to get the Alpha and Beta golds in Phantom, but I have since gone back and re-earned them in a proper craft. Even smashed the times I set as well.

I'm also a firm believer in not moving on until I've got a gold, especially when it comes to advancing a class. If I can't get gold in one race, how can I expect to get it in the next one? I also completely finish everything in one speed class before moving on.

Dogg Thang
20th September 2005, 08:20 AM
I took that attitude for the US and JP release, but I can't put myself through Vactor and Venom again on the EU version so I've only got the bare minimum of Golds.

lunar
20th September 2005, 09:23 AM
I took the same approach as Hellfire with the US version - using zone for some TTs, as I`m an impatient bugger, but it`s amazing how easy it is to beat some of those zone times now when I go back to them - which is basically down to playing on Kai and learning to use sideshift.

With the Euro version I`m going no-Zone all the way, with whatever "real" ship I feel like using at the time. And yes, bronze or silver medals really bug me - I just can`t leave them sitting there.

MaxxMedievil
20th September 2005, 09:25 AM
Sorry but i use Medievil Team, i like to much that ship. :twisted:
But i have some times to change to Assegai. I have a feeling of security with this ship. 8)

xEik
20th September 2005, 09:34 AM
This brings up an interesting point - among those of you who got all gold medals, who has done so WITHOUT using Zone or Medievil?

You can't. Only 140 of the original 144 medals can be obtained without using Zone or Medievil. ;)

Well, I got all the original 140 with either Assegai or AG-5Y5. With the Gamma TT I settled for the Zone ship because of the tight times for gold and because you can go really fast. :dizzy
This morning, though, I tried Phantom Gamma TT on my way to work with my trusty AG-5Y5 and I also managed a couple of golds; so it happens not to be that difficult. :)

element42
20th September 2005, 11:54 AM
i only had to use the zone ship for TT once, in the jap version, on khara descent in flash. two barrel rolls down the drops every lap with a perfect line and hitting every speed pad, dear god it took me an hour. :evil:
i'm gold-medalling everything class-by-class, version by version. i'm also trying to use a different craft in each version: piranha in euro, tigron in jap, and goteki in ntsc. although i sometimes need to switch to piranha in TT for all versions. so far i'm halfway through flash in ntsc with euro to go. then it gets interesting... :D

Drakkenmensch
20th September 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm currently gold medalling my Euro version, Piranha-only. One of my current stumbling blocks is the Flash Khara Descent TT, very challenging!

On the plus side, I scored the Phantom Karbonis single race GOLD this morning, using Piranha of course, which I had never succeeded in doing before, not even with Zone :) This only reinforces my belief that pilot skill beats flashy ship stats any day.

yawnstretch
20th September 2005, 05:22 PM
No none of my phantom golds are zone or medieval. Usually, Feisar, Agsystems or once in a while Harimau or Van Uber.

randomperson1
20th September 2005, 06:42 PM
I never use Medievil and only time trial for Zone. In fact, I hate Medievil so much, I'm trying not to go over or at 70 golds.

MaxxMedievil
20th September 2005, 08:21 PM
Don't hate Medievil, it's a ship nice to run, and in Single race's or Tournament, is more dificult to run then other, it's shield is to low. It look's nasty :twisted: . By the way, like some of you tell, i started to run with another Team :D , until complete the others Gold Medals. :clap for the advises from all of you. Thanks

Drakkenmensch
20th September 2005, 08:45 PM
One of the big problems with the Zone and Medievil ships is that most people view them as an easy way out of learn to actually pilot effectively - people who feel like they need an 'ubership' to be any good seldom play that well to begin with. Sort of like chess players who claim that they're "really good with the queen" but don't know the first thing about using the rest of the pieces. Take away their precious queen (or in this case, Zone ship) and they're totally helpless.

We just want to spare you being stuck with fragile crutches that break down with the first quake to roar your way down the track.

Rouni Kenshin#1
20th September 2005, 11:08 PM
To answer Drakkenmensch i havent used either craft to win much of anthying but i do use zone for TTs does that count?

Drakkenmensch
20th September 2005, 11:16 PM
Unfortunately yes, Rouni ;) My question was to see who tried to win golds by not using Zone at all. It IS possible, as several people have attested already. Try this as a challenge! Create a new profile to conquer all golds with a single team! :D

G0rT
21st September 2005, 03:12 AM
I tried to get all my golds with either assegi or goteki 45 and had unlocked phantom class, got a few golds here and there on it and then decided to catch up with my tt golds. I was doing awesome using the goteki 45 getting golds first or sometimes 2nd try, but then I got to the tt for the gamma and classic2 packs on flash and they were ridiculously hard :brickwall ! In order to gold all of them I had to suck up my pride and use the zone ship :bombhead , because otherwise those times are way to unrealistic!

MaxxMedievil
21st September 2005, 08:42 AM
Reading some of yours postreplys i have seen that some racers do not aprove faster Teams or ships, i think that purism of Wipeout goes in the way of adrenaline, how faster can i go, a what speed can i made that part of the track. Starting Wipeout Pure i put some experience of other time i played this game, and i lost some time reminding what i do in that time, now whit more experience, e realised that, good races i do is when i finish the race and sounds that in the time i was playing nothing else around doesn't exist, it's me in the game. Fascinating this game. I think that no matter no Team or Faster Ship, what matters for me, respecting all of you, is adrenaline, pleasure to race, do in there what one day could be possible but not in ours days.

I will continue to race with Medievil, Assegai and AG, or other else team that gives me a possible way to win the race and achieve The Gold Medal.

Thanks for all :clap

Seek100
21st September 2005, 06:27 PM
It's nothing to do with faster teams or ships, the 2097 Piranha supership is incredibly popular because it took insane amounts of skill to fly, but you only got it at the very end of the game after proving you could win everything without them, Zone and Medievil aren't proper teams and have no real drawbacks in singleplayer races, the AI simply can't do anything to you as long as you can fly.

Further they can be attained very easily, the Piranha ship in 2097 could only be gotten by winning all 6 initial races on their respective speed classes, then winning a tournament of all 6 on Rapier speed with a limited number of retries, then winning the 2 extra Phantom tracks and finally winning a tournament of all 8 tracks on Phantom speed with the Piranha ships as competition. Now that was a true challenge. Getting 70 Gold medals can be done before you finish Venom on the fully enhanced version of purE.

As for me I refuse to use Medievil at all and target the AI ship all the time. I only use the Zone ship for the Gamma and Delta Time Trials from Flash upwards now as the times are getting ridiculously tight for Gold. Everything else I only use my beloved Feisar. I end up doing a lot of free-runs just to fly the other ships and see how good I am in them.