PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi Multiplayer question.

mischiefdemon
16th September 2005, 01:24 PM
I don't know if this has been covered before, sorry if it has.

Is the EUR version of WOP compatible with the US version for multiplayer?

(Just found out a mate at work has the US version.)

lunar
16th September 2005, 01:27 PM
No, they are not compatible.

infoxicated
16th September 2005, 01:27 PM
Games are only compatible for WiFi play with those from the same region. The WiFi id is tied to the product code, and each has a different product code.

mischiefdemon
16th September 2005, 01:31 PM
damn it... oh well.

Thanks for the hasty response guys.

Drakkenmensch
16th September 2005, 01:31 PM
If you play with Xlink Kai, you can have players with the three different versions of the game in the Wipeout room, though people trying to join up to game will only detect those created with the same version they are running. You see that happen a lot these days.

"I can't see your game, it just keeps searching."

"Do you have the US version?"

"No, Euro."

"Sorry dude."

A popular solution to this has been creating version-specific sub-arenas.

brokenvoice
16th September 2005, 02:32 PM
Games are only compatible for WiFi play with those from the same region. The WiFi id is tied to the product code, and each has a different product code.This is just pathetic gouging on the part of Sony. There is no reason for this.

Drakkenmensch
16th September 2005, 02:36 PM
There's a reason for this - exactly how do you reconcile two games that have different download packs? And there's been tweaks in between versions too. I think some effects of the disruptor bolt have been changed or removed, so if someone with a US version hits a euro version and the determined effect is one that no longer exists in the euro version, what happens?

Both games crash, most likely.

brokenvoice
16th September 2005, 03:20 PM
So how does it work for games like Forza Motorsport? I know it's for a different platform but the principal is the same. Different region encodings for the game yet I can play people worldwide. As for download packs: I can play the guy in my office no problem even though he doesn't have all the downloads I have. You take that into account when looking for/setting up a game.

I'm just sick of companies asking their own customers to bend over that little bit further and oh don't worry about the pain.

If it isn't cynical gouging then it's lack of proper planning (regressions etc.). Take your pick.

Colin Berry
16th September 2005, 04:31 PM
here is the thing

wipeout is designed for ad hoc multiplayer, ie people being within 50m of each other, sony doesnt particularly promote importing. The chances of 3 people getting together with the different versions is very small, unless you include Xlink, which of course is unofficial and unsupported in anyway.

For the record Nintendo's handheld games have always had similar in that different region games dont work with each other. As for something like Forza, it was coded with world wide internet play in mind, which is different to coding ad hoc multiplayer.
Also as was pointed out had we been able to make all versions work with one another (and we couldnt as different regions use different libraries) but if we could have, then no small fixes at all would have been possible between versions.

Its not ideal, but is it that important ?

[edit by Lance: quotation eliminated]

brokenvoice
16th September 2005, 04:50 PM
Its not ideal, but is it that important ?I don't reckon that it's terribly important, Colin. And shame on Nintendo and anyone else who does this. My point was germane to the conversation though, therefore, I made it.

I don't hate Sony or Nintendo for this practice but I think it's a poor show.

Why not make things compatible? Say I go abroad on holiday with my PSP (very likely) wouldn't it be cool to be able to do this? The amount of additional work is trivial surely. Ad-hoc networking is the same principal no matter where you live and Sony's (yes, and others) approach just appears cynical to me.

Colin Berry
17th September 2005, 12:39 PM
I'm inclined to agree it is daft, personally I've been asking for region free consoles for as long as I remember, but then I can understand why that doesnt happen

I'm not totally sure on the technical reasons, I will check on monday and try and get a decent answer cos it is quite interesting, I do know I asked ages ago and there was a reason to do with the netwrok library code we use, but I'll try and get a fuller answer

nae1000
18th September 2005, 01:32 PM
hi, guys i'me new to the forums and am expecting my psp's arrival on tuesday (already have a US wipeout pure).

i wanted to ask if anyof you know if i'll be able to download the US updates through the official site after registering a different region psp??

nathan

Sausehuhn
18th September 2005, 01:55 PM
btw: welcome to the forums nea1000!! :D

eLhabib
18th September 2005, 05:23 PM
you won't be able to download the US updates from the european yourpsp site, but you can download all wipEout purE related stuff from the official purE site www.wipeoutpure.com - choose the correct version though (US in your case).

oh, and welcome to the 'zone!

nae1000
19th September 2005, 04:44 PM
cheers guys! :D