PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a newbie...

Ragnar
15th September 2005, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone

First of all I´d like to excuse myself for my english, since I´m spanish (Gran Canaria) and may not be able to write properly. I´m glad to join what seems to be a family of wipeout die-hards. So, don´t you think its a bit unfair that new ships like VanUber or Tigron are way too... superior? I mean, they should have followed the pattern of the former teams. I feel like I´m cheating (just joking)! I don´t know, legendary teams like quirex or ag-systems seem like rubbish.
And another point: do you really think SLiverpool will provide us with more packs, not including delta and omega for Europe? I mean, they have already doubled the content of the original game. I don´t want to be pessimist but, since they already have the mony we have paid for the game, what do they gain? I hope I made myself clear, and not to have bored you.

infoxicated
15th September 2005, 10:32 AM
Hi there Ragnar - welcome to the site.

I expect that Studio Liverpool will continue to provide content for the game, as it helps with the continued sales of the game and extends the lifecycle of the title.

It is a bit of a shame that the download teams are better than the regular teams, but the difference in stats is not as large as you'd think. If you have a search in this forum the stats of the download teams have been explained by Colin, who was the lead designer on Pure.

xEik
15th September 2005, 10:42 AM
It's not that often that you see a wiper transmitting from Spain (I'm in Barcelona).

Welcome to the 'Zone Ragnar. :D So far, your English is good.

Egg
15th September 2005, 11:31 AM
The Euro packs are: Gamma, Delta, Classic and Omega. No Coca Cola packs for us Euro boys. Shame :wink:

eLhabib
15th September 2005, 11:37 AM
what does the US version get instead of omega?

Colin Berry
15th September 2005, 11:57 AM
At the moment, nothing bar the Stealth pack, which isnt an actual download

Sony Japan asked for the wired stuff and the coke stuff
Sony Europe asked for the Omega stuff
Sony America asked for....... nowt

Drakkenmensch
15th September 2005, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the Zone, Ragnar!

If you join our happy little bunch on Xlink Kai, you will surely find that the differences are not as great as you'd imagine. For all the Goteki45, Tigron and Van Uber players you'd probably expect there because their combined stats total 15 (as opposed to 12 or 13 for historic teams), you simply don't see that many of them.

If anything, you see hordes of Zone players who think they're piloting uber-ships because they have 5 for speed and handling and 4 of thrust. In theory, that sounds amazing.

In theory, Marge, communism works. IN THEORY.

In actual practice though, most of them are bouncing left and right, unable to use th ehigh precision steering required to keep control of the nervous and jumpy hair trigger on the Zone controllers. Their paper shields are also a HUGE liability, many of them exploding with alarming regularity as experienced veterans tear through their hulls with devastatingly accurate plasma bolts, carefully locked-on missiles and the dreaded reverse quake. Even one of the more experienced Zone players finally admitted defeat last night after one too many DNF race, and has decided to give Assegai a chance.

In the end, it boils down to pilot skill. If an inexperienced novie reads that the "Zone ship is the best out there!" and hurries to unlock it thinking that he's going to "own all the others", he's in for a brutal shock. The very best players out there are not flying Zone and Van Uber, they're flying Assegai and AG Systems. My favorite is Piranha, and while on the surface the handling of 2 seems bad, it fits perfectly my racing style. Any ship can be the very best, if there's skill backing it up and making up for the apparent weak spots which are no more than hull-deep illusions.

In theory, theory is the same thing as practice, but in practice, it isn't.

eLhabib
15th September 2005, 01:06 PM
Sony America asked for....... nowt

well, F*CK Sony America! :evil:

bakeded
15th September 2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah! What he said! :twisted: :wink:

Mobius
15th September 2005, 04:26 PM

I dont think anyone can match a thousandth post like that, congrats!

Dogg Thang
15th September 2005, 04:32 PM
I find that odd given US advertising spend - in spite of my personal reservations, for certain demographics, advertising through Pure seems like a perfect idea for companies with something to sell. Ah well...

Purist
15th September 2005, 04:41 PM
Don't tempt fate guys... I can see the Dr Pepper and McDonalds marketing dept salivating at the mere thought :evil:

Seek100
15th September 2005, 05:17 PM
My lunch is coming up at the prospect of Dr.Pepper and McDonalds, I'm so happy I won't get the Coca-Cola pack, the Puma sponsorship is bad enough. SL - can't you guys persuade the execs at SCE to get some decent sponsorship like Psyggy did back in the day with Red Bull? I know it's not their decision but surely Sony must realise their running the brand into the ground with all this crappy advertising - especially the Stealth combo-thing, brings bile up in my throat to see wipEout being used to sell crap.

Oh and hi Ragnar, your English is better than that of many native English speakers I've met.

lunar
15th September 2005, 05:55 PM
Welcome Ragnar. Whichever ship you choose you gain something and you lose something. I think the ships in Pure are really finely balanced.

I cleared the game with Qirex mostly, but I gave up on that for Kai as the lack of acceleration meant I was getting bombed too much, although I hardly ever got eliminated and I could win on fast tracks. So I turned to Harimau and was quicker out of corners, having to lose less speed to get through them, but lost top speed which made it harder to win on Vineta K - and I got killed too much. So now I`m on Van Uber, which despite its stats doesn`t corner as well as Harimau, imo, but has a slightly better shield, but still isn`t as fast in a straight line as Qirex. So I don`t know what to do really.... but will never turn to zone or medievil - with those you are going to get blown up often and that will cost you too dearly in tournament play. One or two good hits on a zone ship and they have to spend the rest of the race absorbing instead of attacking you. Sometimes, even if they`re ahead, a well placed bomb can kill them on the next lap, allowing you to win from behind.

Overall I`m just really pleased we have this ship selection problem to deal with.... it adds so much fun to the game. 8)

eLhabib
15th September 2005, 06:16 PM

I dont think anyone can match a thousandth post like that, congrats!

wow, didn't even notice! 8O quite fitting, indeed... :D

Lance
15th September 2005, 07:55 PM
strongly agree with your post number 1000.
but...
for 1001, you quoted someone else's quote of yourself! oh, Marge, the ego, the ego. hot dogs... [droooooool].
um... wait. i'm not sure that made any sense. :oops:
nevermind. :)

Mobius
15th September 2005, 08:06 PM
Im sure he's allowed to slip up once in a thousand posts. I'm remeber you making a double post a few months back Lance! :wink:

Seek100
15th September 2005, 08:17 PM
How come you didn't edit it Lance? Are you giving up your dreaded title of 'quotation eliminator'? :lol:

Lance
15th September 2005, 08:28 PM
never! :D
although i don't use it as the title under my avatar anymore.

-----------------

he wasn't breaking a rule, i was just yanking his chain on the ego thing.

-----------------

i didn't double the same post in two different threads. nyah nyah. ;)
and uh...
:?
i did on purpose.
for the effect.
yeah. that's it.
yeah.
:D

-------------------

am i allowed to slip once in 4400 posts? ;)

Megatron42
15th September 2005, 10:09 PM
Ragnar, I'd like to once again congratulate you on your English, particularly because you apologized in advance. I wish more people on the Internet posted half as well...

Anyway, I feel a little gypped myself being in the US and apparently having the least exclusive content. Is there any chance that in, say, a year from now they release the other expansions for the regions that didn't get them? I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death already.

Ragnar
16th September 2005, 07:32 AM
Hey barcelona! Did you see the twisters/tornados? Nevermind.
Thanks everybody for your welcome and nice words. I didn´t find the post where Colin explained everything about the new ships stats, but I would really like to read about that. I made, and I´m afraid I´m not the first one in doing so, some speculations about the origiinal teams (excuse me if this has already been posted): everry team has 19 points to distribute among the stats, 1 point per point in thrust and shield, and 2 points are worth 1 point in speed and handling. This make sense in all ships, with the exception of Feisar(21 points) and Auricom(20). But the fact that the rest of the ships match this pattern reveals how well balanced the game was made. Tigron(22) and van uber(23!) are superships like Zone. But as many of you have said, they´re not as good as the stats show in practice. That´s good news :D

Read you later, I´m going to check if the euro-puma-delta-blah blah pack is already available

Drakkenmensch
16th September 2005, 12:09 PM
Ragnar, I'll join Megatron42 and congratulate your excellent mastery of the english language. You write with the apparent ease of a native speaker, with fewer typos than most people I know who were born into english speaking families. If everybody spelled as good as you do, the internet as a whole would be a lot easier to navigate and understand! :D

brokenvoice
16th September 2005, 12:30 PM
If everybody spelled as good as you do...
...as well as you do...

You're friendly neighbourhood pedant. :D

lunar
16th September 2005, 12:40 PM
Your friendly neighbourhood pedant. :wink:

Hellfire_WZ
16th September 2005, 12:45 PM
Damn, can't find anything wrong with Lunar's post... :lol:

eLhabib
16th September 2005, 12:48 PM
ROFL, kids these days... :roll:
:wink:

Drakkenmensch
16th September 2005, 01:27 PM
Thank god you didn't - these posts were starting to look like an Escher drawing where two mirrors stare at each other into infinity or something ;)

brokenvoice
16th September 2005, 02:34 PM
Your friendly neighbourhood pedant. :wink:Ah, you spotted my deliberate mistake then.

er... :oops:

Seek100
16th September 2005, 02:40 PM
Should it not be: 'If everybody spelt as well as you do...'?

Just to add to the pedantry. 8)

Megatron42
16th September 2005, 05:11 PM
Ahahahaha! This thread = awesome.

bakkufu
16th September 2005, 05:15 PM
We are all getting rather elequent of late aren't we? Or is that prolific?

:lol:

element42
16th September 2005, 05:28 PM
Shouldn't that be eloquent? :D

This can't carry on for much longer...

Jambo
16th September 2005, 05:42 PM
It could be said that the term that should have been used is that we are all rather eloquial of late....

bakkufu
16th September 2005, 05:48 PM
well it can as long as I spell things wrong for a laff :lol:

waits for correction on laff

eLhabib
16th September 2005, 07:00 PM
badum-dshhh! :shame

Seek100
16th September 2005, 08:01 PM
Here goes the correction on laugh

And isn't it usually badum-tshh?

Mobius
16th September 2005, 08:06 PM
I think you kihlled it...

Or I did. :shame

Lance
16th September 2005, 10:25 PM
better annihilated than kihhled.
[couldn't it be simplified to 'nihilated'? nullifed. made nil/null. we don't see ''annullified'' now, do we? :) ]

----------

hey, i could mAke something wrong with a post. ;)
if i can correct, i can also sabotage. :D

[hm... sabotage. curious word. must have something to do with putting a wooden shoe up an enemy's anal orifice.]

Seek100
17th September 2005, 01:46 AM
Apparently not, turns out the roots of the word are the late Latin annihilare (to ad nothing) to Annihilate is to make into nothing, by destruction. Whereas to nullify is to make into none by reversing the existence, to invalidate it. Comes from late Latin: nullificare meaning 'to despise' from nullus (none) and -ficare (-fy). The 2 words have different Latin roots but sound more similar in English than they did in Latin.

About sabotage, well you're right about the shoe part, it's French, from 'saboter', means to walk noisily, bungle. It's further derived from 'sabot' which is a wooden shoe worn in certain European countries. Sabot is another French word which derives from the Old French word 'çabot'; this is in turn an alteration of 'savate', meaning old shoe, Though this is probably of Turkish or Arabic origin, just like my family name (Arabic origin).

P.S. make :lol:

Lance
17th September 2005, 02:21 AM
title: Lance displays a most unseemly waspishness.

my question about 'annihilated' was rhetorical and meant humorously.

also, i clearly already knew what a sabot is or i would not have made the jovial remark, but now you have trampled upon the intended jollity with overly large boots. Wellingtons, perhaps. [yes, i know who Arthur Wellesley was.][1852, Requiescat in Pace]

humour requires its practitioner to correctly choose time, place, and audience. i obviously erred in all three. my apologies.

Seek100
17th September 2005, 02:29 AM
Sorry I just tend to be a smartarse whenever the oppurtunity presents itself; the bit about annihilated wasn't particularly funny IMO, that's why I didn't pick up on the joke but the Sabot thing was my bad. I should have noticed that one a mile off but I was on a roll with the Latin stuff, so I couldn't resist. :x

Drakkenmensch
17th September 2005, 03:13 AM
Well in french "sabot" can also mean "hoof"

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Lance
17th September 2005, 04:02 AM
i am the king of 'subtlety' and self-referential in-jokes which only i would get, or, rather, find humorous. damn, i make me laugh. ;)

bakkufu
17th September 2005, 10:37 AM
Capital I when referencing yourself please :lol:

Lance
17th September 2005, 02:20 PM
you forgot to mention that i also avoid capitalising the initial letter of a sentence, and frequently avoid capitalising corporate names, country names, and website names. and frequently start a new sentence with 'and'. and usually shift the period of the last sentence of a post to the next and last line of text, leaving it in lonely glory as the excessively stylised and cutesy finishing point. i choose intentional style over strict correctness of language form every time in a casual context. however, when thoughtless errors obscure meaning, i find it difficult to restrain myself from pointing it out, but usually :) i succeed

eLhabib
17th September 2005, 05:55 PM
I think something in my brain just died.

*drool*

Drakkenmensch
17th September 2005, 09:21 PM
Isn't the intentional use of the lowercase "i" when referring to oneself usually something used by people who take the submissive role in a master-slave relationship? :wink:

Just wondering :twisted:

Lance
18th September 2005, 12:32 AM
nah, it's for poor typists who are too unskilled or too lazy to move their little finger off the 'home' keys to press >shift< [except for special occasions like the one immediately to the left of the first bracket]

Seek100
18th September 2005, 03:29 AM
And I should point out it's perfectly acceptable grammar to start a sentence with 'And'. Some pompous gits added numerous non-sensical grammatical rules to English in the 19th C. which they lifted straight out of Latin in order to give the language additional prestige. In a sense to try and make it a new Lingua Franca, they really shouldn't have bothered...

Rouni Kenshin#1
18th September 2005, 03:30 PM
Sooooo true seek

English the most screwed up language in the world there are so many exceptions and other things going on that i understand my german grammer better that my engilish and i just started taking it this year.