PDA

View Full Version : next round of content?

kaiotheforsaken
13th September 2005, 02:34 AM
just wondering when the next pack might peek its head out over here in the states. even though the new classic pack got here only like 2 weeks ago, i'm still kinda curious what the time table is for content. so if anyone knows something i missed on my usual site (IGN) it would be much appreciated. thanks in advacne.

eLhabib
13th September 2005, 10:57 AM
new content for the US version is usually released at the beginning of each month.

MissileStrike
13th September 2005, 11:27 AM
Well, lucky Americans... :x
:lol: only joking.

Mobius
13th September 2005, 02:52 PM
Lucky europeans, we get the delta pack on friday! woosome!

mischiefdemon
13th September 2005, 02:57 PM
And I can't wait. I'm planning to have finished the Standard game + Gamma pack by then. I only have 2 Rapier Torneys and Phantom class to go... (I don't think I can do it lol)

Jittery-Joe
13th September 2005, 05:54 PM
Lucky europeans, we get the delta pack on friday! woosome!

Horray!!!

eLhabib
13th September 2005, 06:42 PM
you know, I was really planning to get a euro copy of purE before the 16th, just for the xtra packs and online play, but I think I won't just yet. Getting all the delta tracks and skins in ONE pack is sweet, but it cuts down on the replay value. as it is now, I can look forward to a new little snippet at the beginning of each new month, and usually one month is just as long as it takes for me to know the new track so inside-out that I wish for a new one. all the delta tracks at once would be an overflow for me, so I decided to stay off the euro version just now, and happily await classic2 pack 3 which brings vohl square and the classic2 tournament. YAY!

I will get the euro version as soon as the other euro players are good and organized enough to make it fun playing with them, which should be by november/december I guess.

judus
13th September 2005, 09:18 PM
I have to say, playing the older wipeouts to death payed off with pure because I hadly found a race that was challenging enough to last me more than 5 minutes. Infact the basic game (without the addons) was completed in one day with all modal gold, then the gamma only lasted as long as the evening i dloded it. The main reason is, im finding the circuits short, way too short. So it makes it easier to remember not just the tracks but all the pads too in a couple of races.
This is not a bad thing as long as theres something to look forward to, but i dont see myself going back to this game too often, not as much as i did with the first 2 wipeout games anyway.

eLhabib
13th September 2005, 10:42 PM
sorry, but I just CAN'T believe you when you say you got all basic (144) golds in one day. nope, don't believe it.

G0rT
14th September 2005, 02:46 AM
that does sound very unlikely, but hey, I'm not here to judge. By the way, does anyone know what ship comes in classic pack 3?

Drakkenmensch
14th September 2005, 03:10 AM
Judus, I'm going to go all out and call your lie for what it is - a LIE. You, sir, are a liar.

I've been playing my Euro copy of Pure for two days now, sinking whatever spare time I have into it, and so far only unlocked about 75 golds.

144 golds in one day? Yeah, RIGHT.

*coughLIARcough*

xEik
14th September 2005, 09:37 AM
My guess is that he raced in every circuit but didn't go further than Vector.

This shouldn't be difficult to do in one day but leaving the game at that point would defeat the reason for playing WO which is the rush that Phantom provides.

mischiefdemon
14th September 2005, 09:42 AM
That sounds about right xEik... Theres no way he's done all of the other classes too.

Drakkenmensch
14th September 2005, 09:48 AM
You can do about 12 races per hour on average (including load time) so it wouldn't be hard to do a lot of single races and time trials, BUT in order to access FLASH class races and above, you have to do Alpha, Beta and Ascension races, which means 16 races for 3 golds on each class! That alone accounts for roughly 5-6 hours of gameplay, assuming that you're already a total flying ace who doesn't need to stop for food and exhaustion or thumb cramps, and that you never lose a single tournament, not even in Phantom.

mischiefdemon
14th September 2005, 09:54 AM
Amen to that!

xEik
14th September 2005, 10:40 AM
It's maths time. The average race time is T in minutes.

For all the medals we need to do the calculation: 'Number of tracks' * Number of classes' * 'Average time spent per race'

Single races
12*5*T = 60*T
Time Trials
12*5*T = 60*T
Alpha Tournaments
4*5*T = 20*T
Beta Tournaments
4*5*T = 20*T
Ascension Tournaments
8*5*T = 40*T
Classic Tournaments
4*5*T = 20*T
Zone
4*1*T = 4*T

This makes a total of
60*T + 60*T + 20*T + 20*T +40*T + 20*T + 4*T = 224*T

Let's assume different values for T
T = 2min -> Total = 448min = 7.4 hours
T = 4min -> Total = 896 min = 15 hours
T = 6min -> Total = 1344 min = 22 hours

Please reply if you find any errors. Bear in mind that the value T is used for practical reasons and I'm not certain what it might be (I can't use my PSP right now to calculate an average). Additionally, it makes no sense in Zone mode but I used it anyways.
This also assumes that every gold is won on the first attempt.

Disclaimer: if you try to play WO Pure for 22 hours in a single day, your eyes will bleed. Guaranteed. ;)

eLhabib
14th September 2005, 10:52 AM
I've been playing my Euro copy of Pure for two days now, sinking whatever spare time I have into it, and so far only unlocked about 75 golds.

and that's from drak, one of the best purE players on xlink, and he finished the whole US version of purE BEFORE starting the euro one, so he was already a pro when he started unlocking euro golds, unlike you, you were new to the game when you started.

Disclaimer: if you try to play WO Pure for 22 hours in a single day, your eyes will bleed. Guaranteed. ;)

not only that, but you left thumb will fall off.

Colin Berry
14th September 2005, 11:50 AM
And your battery will die :)

I think we had a rough estimate of 12 hours assuming you won everything first time (once you include load times etc).
It could be done it a day, but realistically it would take 18hours~

Egg
14th September 2005, 11:54 AM
Infact the basic game (without the addons) was completed in one day...

Utter pish.

eLhabib
14th September 2005, 12:44 PM
well he probably really only did vector or venom. some people might think those are difficulty settings rather than speed classes, and therefore think that if they have beaten one 'difficulty setting' they have beaten the whole game...

NOOBS :mr-t

Drakkenmensch
14th September 2005, 12:58 PM
ah yes, that explanation would make a LOT more sense :)

eLhabib
14th September 2005, 01:01 PM
on the other hand, judus said that he had played the old wipEouts to death, so he oughtta know what's the deal with the speed classes. Or maybe that was a lie, too? :?

Drakkenmensch
14th September 2005, 01:31 PM
If he played the old Wipeouts "to death", why would he have been content to play this one, the best one yet, in Vector only and stop playing after? :)

JABBERJAW
14th September 2005, 05:24 PM
"best one yet"

who thinks this!! good, but not the best

Drakkenmensch
14th September 2005, 05:27 PM
Who, you ask? Well, me for one, apparently ;)

eLhabib
14th September 2005, 05:36 PM
actually, for me it is the best w'o'' to date, too. With best meaning most complete, with the most total enjoyment overall. Of course the physics aren't fully tweaked yet, and the tracks could be a tad longer, but all in all it's definitely my favorite w'o''. w3oSE comes VERY close tho.

Mobius
14th September 2005, 06:39 PM
The fact the tracks are all set in one island rather than around the world, means that it seems to lose a part of its "realism" and even thought the variety of environments is quite good, the fact theat the majority are in cityscapes means the trackslose some of their identity.

Don't get me wrong, i like the look but i liked how it was executed in fusion.

As for best wipeout... Its between pure and 3se in my opinion.

*Waits for delta pack...*

Sumimasen
14th September 2005, 09:00 PM
Just a thought, but one thing that would blast a great hole in the 'only doing Vector' theory, is that if you don't play any other speeds, you won't get enough golds to unlock all the classic tracks...

Methinks that this boast, is indeed just that. And without any grounding either...

TBH, when I got the JP version, I got the game on the Friday night, and by Sunday night I had around 85 golds. And I don't think that I would have liked to play much more in that short space of time.

Drakkenmensch
15th September 2005, 01:29 AM
So I think we can all agree then that sir Judus' claim was an outright lie.

xEik
15th September 2005, 08:36 AM
if you don't play any other speeds, you won't get enough golds to unlock all the classic tracks...
Maybe he doesn't even know there are classic tracks in the UMD because he didn't make it further than Vector. ;)

At this point of the thread I don't even care if his claim is misinformed, a lie or flamebait. :)

judus
15th September 2005, 10:15 PM
mmmm..it seems i have caused quite the stir up...OK put it this way
Yes I have played the previous wipeouts to death..
So i know about the classes yada yada...
yes i did get past flash, rapier up to phantom...
and yes it did take nearly 20 hours to complete but even so
im sure one of you could give it a go and see for yourslf...It doesnt take as long as you think it does because laptimes can get ridiculusly small like 18-20 secs on higher classes, so i dont see this being impossible. I mean its not like in Wo3 where every craft had to be raced on every track on every class. You only need to go through all classes on all tracks with one craft, then do tournements (4 on each class) then the time trial and zone.

eLhabib
16th September 2005, 12:39 AM
I won't believe it until i have seen you skill on xlink multiplayer, sorry.

Drakkenmensch
16th September 2005, 02:48 AM
That goes double for me. Come on and join in the fun, show us how you do it live and online!

Which brings up the question - are you an AG-sys fan as your choice of avatar indicates, or did you switch to another team when playing Pure? And exactly how long DID you play to adjust to the differences in handling and weapon use in Pure?

Heavens know that Pure handles differently from all previous incarnations.

Sumimasen
16th September 2005, 06:57 AM
Going back the the threads title, relating to new content, shouldn't the UK Delta pack be released today?

Wonder how the Puma branding will work? I imagine that if done with subtlety, it could look really cool - Puma are not exactly Coca Cola in the cheesiness stakes!

mischiefdemon
16th September 2005, 07:10 AM
Supposed to be... I was hoping it'd be downloadable before I went to work... but alas, it isn't yet.

Colin Berry
17th September 2005, 12:48 PM
Judas, perhaps it was the wording of completed in one day that set people off.

Had you said completed in about 20 hours people would have said fair enough (and been impressed) one day sounds much quicker, because people take it as a literal day and I suspect people think that even the most hardcore fan would have trouble playing it 20 hours solid :)

Its a difficult job getting the amount of completion playtime right, we were told at the start of the year there were concerns it was taking over 40 hours to complete and needed to be a bit easier, we didnt actually change it though because we knew it could be done quicker, and we also felt 40 hours wasnt that excessive, although for a casual gamer it can be.

lunar
17th September 2005, 01:14 PM
You got it pretty much absolutely right, I reckon, particularly on the later time trials - even if Exostra Run Rapier practically put me on my knees begging for mercy. Please don`t make the next one any easier. People will play this game for months to complete it, as it is, but if it was easy they`d just see it off and move on the next game. I haven`t heard anyone say its too hard - except in regard to the carnage on some races. Although I don`t think that`s too bad, personally, that`s the only serious improvement you could make next time: set it up so its more of fast flying and good lines that win AI races, and a little bit less of weapon survival. Anyway, don`t listen to those who want to make it easier - that`s my plea. I think you`ve managed to keep Wipeout`s reputation for being a challenging game, but removed the frustration casual players used to feel with it.

Drakkenmensch
17th September 2005, 01:30 PM
I agree with Lunar 100% here. It's gotten to a point where the eight basic track's time trials are way too easy for me, so if the downloadable tracks were equally unchallenging, it wouldn't be any fun.

As it stands, I had to try over and over to try and find the correct technique to beat Exostra Run and Khara Descent in gold time - and I wouldn't want it any other way!!!