2nd-ing Gtech and adding Tigron. Burn baby Burn indeed! :lol:

Lance
12th September 2005, 12:57 AM
thank goodness you didn't mention AG-Systems, Thrusty! :D

Thruster2097
12th September 2005, 01:02 AM
nope, not this time.
Every version of wipeout needs cannon fodder! :P

.....now retreating at least 50 metres....

Seek100
12th September 2005, 03:58 AM
G-Tech: interesting design but crap stats in every area and the tie in with Good Technologies means they'll never return.

Tigron: nice design but since they technically don't exist anymore... Maybe the design style can be resurrected in another team.

Triakis: they're basically a clone of Tigron but without the interesting design and paint job or the transsexual pilot, I'll leave the last one to speculation as to wether it's a good thing or not.

On the other hand as for replacing them, I'd say replace them with Xios and EG.r. Also they should keep the other 3 d/l ships from pure - Goteki45, Icaras and Van-Über, they have to stay, their new designs are too cool to drop.

Hellfire_WZ
12th September 2005, 08:35 AM
I think they should drop the Tigron. It made a little sense to see the last craft in Pure but I don't think that can be dragged out over multiple games. Besides, if Qirex doesn't return to its original spec, there's already a heavyweight craft in the Triakis. They played a bit too similar for my liking and I went with Triakis every time.

Drakkenmensch
12th September 2005, 12:20 PM
Qirex should return in one way or another, as they are as much a part of the historic roster as Feisar, Auricom and Piranha. Tigron, however, are part of the unfortunate Fusion storyline and the Pure version is the last one of its kind, the very last production model ever to come off the assembly line. It slept in a dusty russian hangar for years before being sold over eBay by Crazy Ivan, so once it blows up in a race after taking one bomb too many, it's the end of that.

Rapier Racer
12th September 2005, 12:56 PM
But maybe a bunch of crazy Tigron fans will come along and start up there own line, I don’t want to see G-Tech or Xios again, G-Tech was just a floating brick and Xios looked ridiculous at every stage of upgrade, plus I can never forgive that damn shield drain weapon

Jittery-Joe
12th September 2005, 03:40 PM
Definatly not Tigron or G-Tech. Xios or Van Uber would be worth returning, if they got better ship designs, as the Pure Van Uber looks aweful, as did the Fusion one.

Sausehuhn
12th September 2005, 03:55 PM
I've no problem with the old teams at all.
I just can say which teams have to be in the next game, not which teams haven't.
All the teams of 2097 have to be in - that's the mainthing for me.
And of course EG.r (http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/wipeoutpicture/EG.r%20%5BPNG%5D%20-%20small%20version.PNG) :D

bakkufu
12th September 2005, 04:37 PM
nope, not this time.
Every version of wipeout needs cannon fodder! :P

.....now retreating at least 50 metres....

hehe thats if you can keep up with us or hit us in the first place.

Cypher
12th September 2005, 06:59 PM
I can never remember XIos until someone else mentions it. Then I'm like 'what? oh, that...'

I couldn't care less for it. At least the other Fusion teams were somehwhat memorable.

randomperson1
19th September 2005, 04:37 PM
All of the ships should appear except G-Tech and Medievil!

And add NX1000 and the 'Al-Vaskei'!

Sausehuhn
19th September 2005, 04:45 PM
yeah but this time Al-Vaskei without advertisments... ok, I would accept Red Bull... you know... Red Bull is no real advertisment. It's more drink that stands for WipEout ;)

And now I will go and improve my reaction time...

randomperson1
19th September 2005, 04:47 PM
yeah but this time Al-Vaskei without advertisments...

yeah, I forgot to say that...

bakkufu
19th September 2005, 05:11 PM
EG-R gets my vote...

randomperson1
22nd September 2005, 09:36 PM
It's a shame Sony have 'no plans' to release the EG-r craft (on pure) as in my opinion it was Fusion's best team.
But hopefully it will appear in the next ps2/ps3/psp wipeout

bakkufu
22nd September 2005, 09:52 PM
it was the best team stats wise but it looked, well... ummm...

a bit pants to say the least.

randomperson1
22nd September 2005, 10:03 PM
All of Fusion's ships were missing in the Aesthetics department...

P.S. Do you think 63 posts. in one month is a bit too many?

bakkufu
22nd September 2005, 10:07 PM
not at all, look at my post count against date joined...

Drakkenmensch
22nd September 2005, 10:16 PM
Another case in point - almost 700 posts for me in the last three months ;)

So don't worry, 63 posts in a month is no problem at all :D

Seek100
22nd September 2005, 11:58 PM
My low post count is indicative of my mentality of say little and be thought well of, rather than constantly post and be revealed as ignorant.

The EG.r was one of only 2 ships that I thought actually retained some semblance of traditional wipEout aesthetics in Fusion, the other being Feisar, untill you got to it's third stage of upgrade then it looked like someone had stuck 2 surfboards to the sides for a laugh and no one on the racing team noticed. The EG.r had a sleek angular design and a decent enough livery although the backstory was utter crap, especially for the pilots.

Shem
23rd September 2005, 08:10 AM
I'd burn the flying potato *Xios* in the ashes of Tigron's 'burn baby, burn' bonfire. These two MUST go.

oh, and Hi Thrusty!! :wink:

randomperson1
23rd September 2005, 04:11 PM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I refuse to let Tigron go!!!!!!!!!

Seek100
23rd September 2005, 06:32 PM
Tigron already went, they technically don't exist in pure, it's just one of their old ships from the F9000 being raced again, the team was dissolved, all the owners chucked in prison to rot and their plant - which belonged to Qireж anyway - is now back in Qireж's hands. They've stretched the story pretty thin in pure I don't think they could be taken seriously if they appear again in the next game.

Xios was much more deserving of appearing in pure as there hasn't been any suggestion that they were involved in the corruption of the F9000 and like Van-Über they could really still exist. And their 'official' shape was not a potato, it was vaguely shaped like a ray (flat sea-going animals)

Thruster2097
1st November 2005, 10:15 PM
Although I never see it as a potato myself, the back end is a bit..... errr.... bulbous. But apparently that was all the fashion in 2004. Anyway, the xios should be the fastest because it most closely resembles the perfect aerodynamic teardrop shape, and therefore deserves to remain in future wipeouts. So there! :P

Oh and before I forget..
Hi Shem :shame

atika
2nd November 2005, 07:09 AM
Personally I think it's time to remove Feisar and Auricom.
Feisar is the progenitor of slow easy handling craft and Auricom though aesthetic isn't a good vehicle to pilot. Plus replacing the two could turn Wipeout in a new direction.

kaiotheforsaken
2nd November 2005, 07:47 AM
well despite my original little side story to remove auricom in place of my US team (later revised for those who read it). anywas i dont think removing any of the "classic" teams especially those that have been around since the series began is a good idea, the fan base for the original teams is like holy ground, you must not defile it. hte original teams have to stay. so basicly if it was in wipeout 3 it deserves to be in in every other wipeout ever made EVER, other than that i can take or leave the rest

Mano
2nd November 2005, 08:58 AM
Personally I think it's time to remove Feisar and Auricom.
Feisar is the progenitor of slow easy handling craft and Auricom though aesthetic isn't a good vehicle to pilot. Plus replacing the two could turn Wipeout in a new direction.

What?!?!... Sacrilege!!!! :evil: :

Remembering the great/fun/well thought (you have to thank Lance for that) XL/2097 Spilskinanke - Feisar - Phantom Challenge, and again i say ....WHAT!?!?!?!?! ; for those who didnt participate or arent old enough in the forums to have known of its existance, it IS one of the most fun challenges you can have in SR; the weapons play a very strategic role using a Feisar on Phantom and the speed is good enough and blends perfectly with the track and the mentioned weapon usage.

Learn some WO history, kids!!!! (j/k) ;)

i HIGHLY recommend you dig up that thread in the arena, look at the times we got there and use them as reference, you will definitely have fun trying that challenge...following its rules of course.

Distrupto
2nd November 2005, 09:06 AM
Here r some teams i definately dont wanna see in PS-3 WO. Klor, Turboweevel, Cardracer and Haironaut. Why? Well, anyone would know...

Anyway, too much ranting about Omega now.

Really, I think VanUber, Quantax should go.

Hellfire_WZ
2nd November 2005, 09:21 AM
Personally I think it's time to remove Feisar and Auricom...
The last time that was tried involved removing AG-Systems and Qirex. We ended up with Wipeout Fusion... and it didn't work.

Lance
2nd November 2005, 01:57 PM
i'm not really in favour of banning any team from future editions of Wipeout; variety keeps things interesting.

Jittery-Joe
2nd November 2005, 03:59 PM
I'm with lance on this one. However, Tigron and G-Tech will probably never EVER return. Oh and no Coke and Puma teams in the next one, please...

Drakkenmensch
2nd November 2005, 04:12 PM
Not likely that G-Tech will ever be banned officially from future games, but how can you possibly make that team interesting enough to be in another game? After all, it was credited as being one of the driving forces that nearly destroyed the franchise for good (along with Tigron)

Dominator
2nd November 2005, 08:49 PM
Couldn't agree more Drak :x

Jittery-Joe
4th November 2005, 04:49 PM
Like has been said countless times before though: pure's Tigron is the last Tigron. Ever. They aint comin' back. Fact.

Dominator
7th November 2005, 04:20 AM
"ATIKA"

"Dream on Buddy" :roll:
Maybe you havn't played the original wipEout and don't know the History, or maybe you just don't give a ****...... :x
Any future wipEout that excludes the teams from the first three games, imo, is a betrayal to all who love the franchise and it's history, SACRILEGE :evil:

Ajescent
7th November 2005, 09:52 PM
I actually thought that Xios was the only ship worth saving from Fusion, though EG'r was ish (i.e not great and not bad), the rest were abysmal.

Am I the only one who thought that the Pihranha team in 2097 was suppose to be the epitome of perfection (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) but when Fusion came along my god did they become aweful, I used to be proud to pilot a Pihranha (SP) now? wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

even the really slow but reliable Feisar team didn't do it, there was nothing that got me going "wow"... and oh my god...don't get me started on the booting of AG-Systems...the moment I found out we were AG less I knew the game would go down hill from there...(as you can tell I didn't play wip3out, because I was told by certain sources that it was a terrible game...:( now i can't find a copy of the game I have long since stopped talking to the person who told me that after I got my hands on a demo of it and still kick myself for not getting it....)

Drakkenmensch
7th November 2005, 10:17 PM
www.ebay.com

Best place in the world to find a copy of all the Wipeouts!

Ajescent
7th November 2005, 10:57 PM
ebay? the devils' pet penguin, I tend to be apprehensive about it...far too many scare stories.

Drakkenmensch
8th November 2005, 02:23 AM
As long as you deal with reputable sellers, there's no worries. Someone with several THOUSAND positive comments is a sure bet, considering that many, many more poeple don't bother leaving the positive feedback they should be giving.

username
8th November 2005, 10:04 AM
i think that ALL of the teams that have been in previouse games should be involved. and some new teams should be added.

Asayyeah
8th November 2005, 12:08 PM
Excluded Feisar !!
WTF :evil:
, like Mano said before it was our WZ funniest competition we ever had : ' the slowest with the fastest '
Feisar in vector is a bit too slow but when you use in phantom, obviously feisar can beat many other ' faster ship ' . It's a matter of skill my friend :wink:

btw don't want to remove any other old team

Ajescent
8th November 2005, 01:28 PM
I agree, the amount of races I won with feisar on the harder tracks is a matter of skill, knowledge of the tracks and luck with weapons...its difficult not impossible.

Jittery-Joe
8th November 2005, 05:57 PM
I actually thought that Xios was the only ship worth saving from Fusion, though EG'r was ish (i.e not great and not bad), the rest were abysmal.
Yeah, but Xios' ship was, well, weird and EGr would need some serious retooling if they ever brough it back (Fusion's one was HUGE!)

Seek100
8th November 2005, 06:02 PM
Well they completely redesign the AG-5Y5 in every game so I doubt making a smaller EG.r would be too taxing.

Ajescent
8th November 2005, 08:05 PM
all the designs of ships in fusion were uninspiring let's just leave it at that :D

p.s

I'm still mourning the loss of AG-system in fusion is it back Pure?

Lance
8th November 2005, 08:09 PM
oh, yes! in new glorious life

Ajescent
8th November 2005, 08:12 PM
yes!!! at times like these i wish i had a psp :(

Drakkenmensch
8th November 2005, 08:46 PM
oh yes, and the livery colors are stunning! Mostly red with white highlights and the AG sys logo splashed diagonally across the nose :D

Ajescent
8th November 2005, 09:02 PM
Can you say "rubbing it in"?

ace-of-spades
6th September 2006, 05:52 PM
Fusion got rid of AG? I cant believe that! Im sure im in for ridicule when i say this, but in Wipeout 3 AG is one of my favourite teams. Besides, the whole game franchise is so inspired by Japanese design, they need a team from Japan.

I cant see why its even suggested they should get rid of any teams, just dont use the ones you dont like. Simple as that. Getting rid of teams just detracts from growth in the setting. I think i saw someone suggesting scratching Feisar earlier, they need that one, because Wipeout seems nigh on impossible when you start!

Riccardo Raccis
7th September 2006, 01:28 AM
yeah but this time Al-Vaskei without advertisments... ok, I would accept Red Bull... you know... Red Bull is no real advertisment. It's more drink that stands for WipEout ;)

And now I will go and improve my reaction time...

As a Red Bull junkie, I second that :dizzy

From a gameplay point of view, Harimau needs to go. It's weak in every field and rather pointless. (which is a pity, cause the ship looks real good)

From a storyline point of view, Tigron is the most obvious choice for a disappearing team, unless another Feliks Levovich-like millionaire fan doesn't resurrect the brand.

Dominator
7th September 2006, 02:47 AM
I think i saw someone suggesting scratching Feisar earlier, they need that one, because Wipeout seems nigh on impossible when you start!

I think you'll find the Pure version AG Systems, FEISAR, and Van-Uber pretty much on par with each other when it comes to handling, too many pilots write FEISAR off for it's so called lack of speed :naughty this makes winning races, which does happen by the way, more of a challenge, and oh so very satisfying when beating the heavyweights ;)

lunar
7th September 2006, 08:42 AM
I don`t want any fake teams in races, like Zone, Medievil and the Omega teams, and I don`t want any sponsored teams like Puma or Coke or the secret pack teams. We can use something else for target practice instead. If we do get these sorts of teams, they should be as bonuses and not at all available for the main single and multiplayer AG racing. The "real" teams should be the fastest, too.

Amongst real teams, I agree with some of the above. Few people would shed tears for Tigron and Harimau. :)

ace-of-spades
7th September 2006, 10:20 AM
I think you'll find the Pure version AG Systems, FEISAR, and Van-Uber pretty much on par with each other when it comes to handling, too many pilots write FEISAR off for it's so called lack of speed :naughty this makes winning races, which does happen by the way, more of a challenge, and oh so very satisfying when beating the heavyweights ;)

Racing with the Feisar usually feels alot better, as opposed to some of the faster ships, which can degenerate into a kind of pinball game against the sides of the track. You do understand im saying DONT get rid of Feisar dont you?

Im a bad pilot, i know, haha!

Airrider
7th September 2006, 03:48 PM
I say Zone should stay, but their story deserves to be fleshed out. Like, the AG Racing Commission chose the winner of a design contest, the Zone Challenge was set up by some international AG coalition for promising new pilots, the best Zone Challenge pilots get to live the dream as AG pilots for Zone etc. etc. etc. In my opinion, Zone is too cool to leave just yet. When you master using the airbrakes to fly with your tail sticking out at very high speeds (like what I'm trying to do), this, and the other teams with a very high top speed, acceleration, or turning are your only choices. The middleweights won't give you that same rush.

Medievil, I think, was just a one-shot joke team, I hope everybody can figure that out.

Tigron, IMHO, was nice, but it's time for it to take its final bow. Place the last remaining racer in an AG museum and let's move on with our lives.

G-Tech is dead, and I'm glad. It should stay dead...for the good of mankind. That's what happens when you try to replace a legend like AG-5Y5. You miss the mark and fall flat on your face.

EG-R should make a comeback. Their stick of a ship deserves to compete because it was the most WipEoutish of all the Fusion teams, as someone else said before. But it should clean its act up a bit...at one point, I didn't know if they were really in China or if EG-R was a subdivision of a North Korean company or something.

Xios oughta come back, but Natasha Belmondo should fire the designers or something. The ships had an interesting basic design at all upgrade levels, but looked too goofy to really be taken seriously. Aerodynamics based on the shape of A SEED?! In the 22ND CENTURY?!

Auricom needs something unique to save itself. It is fast becoming one of the most boring teams in AG history. Its ship in Fusion was just plain hideous, I didn't know which end was up, front, or back, and it made me sick. I actually thought it was an unfinished ship waiting for its bodywork. Message to Auricom: Look more striking! More alive! Sure, you're a more balanced heavyweight team. But between you and Triakis, people pick Triakis. Know WHY? Because they have more shield than you and nobody cares about one point in turning stats. And they look better. Seriously. Your FX300 ships look like your F7200 ships. Which look like your F5400 ships. Which kinda resemble your F3600 ships. Which is nice but very boring.

Assegai: You were oh-so-unique in the F7200 leagues. Bring some of that super-slick handling back. AG-5Y5 just stole your game plan.

Secret US Packs: Never. Again. Ever. All they are is a half-assed attempt to give American AG fans something to call their own. And it stinks. Compared to the packs in Europe and Asia, I'm disgusted. What's next, a Valkyrie Profile team or something?! Although the thought of seeing Lenneth in a slimming AG racing suit and a futuristic version of her valkyrie's helmet is kinda hot...

Harimau: Please make your AG ships more powerful. Please. I don't want to see you go. Maybe if you made your ships faster, you'd start really winning, and people will pay attention to and follow your teachings of (maybe) good sportsmanship and (definitely) world peace. If you could stick it to the warmongers in Triakis' camp, maybe people will listen to you and be convinced that peace will always be around longer than war...

And finally, the Feisar debate: Feisar actually has a bit of an advantage in twistier circuits, I think. In places like that, Feisar's lower top speed makes it more controllable. And thus, faster. Van-Uber is a more balanced version, better for longer, yet still twisty, courses.

So, in short:
Teams I want to stay/come back (* denotes special conditions):
* Zone (more exciting story, please)
Van-Uber
Triakis
* Harimau (more speed, or acceleration...or SOMETHING! You guys don't try hard enough!)
* Xios (less ridiculous styling, and some form of balanced stats)
EG-R
* Assegai (bring back the silky-smooth handling of the original)
* Auricom (less boring)

Teams I want to go:
G-Tech (you're dead, and I'm glad)
Tigron (time to retire. Seriously. We need a James Dean, not a...Madonna...)
Medievil (It was a fun visit, but we can't take you seriously)
Secret US Packs (Never. Again. You hear me?! I HATE YOU WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY SOUL!!! I HOPE YOUR SHIPS GET BURNED IN A FIREY *is straitjacketed and gagged* MMMMGMMMHMMMMNMMMM!)

Sausehuhn
7th September 2006, 09:39 PM
Ahaha, great post Airrider. Agreed!

For the Feisar debate:
It has to stay. It simply has to. Not because it's a ship beginners can start with. Not because some people like it's handling.
No.
Because it's the ship WipEout stands for. It's like NFSU2's 350z.
When you think about WipEout the 1st ship to associate the game with is Feisar.

At least that is my opinion.
WipEout without Feisar isn't WipEout.

ace-of-spades
7th September 2006, 09:46 PM
Without any of the original teams it isnt really Wipeout.

Zerow
7th September 2006, 10:46 PM
Agreed also, Sausehuhn. Feisar is more iconic than perhaps every other team in the series' history combined. If the name WipEout is spoken to a person who knows what it means, Feisar is most likely the first thing to spring up in their mind. A WipEout game without Feisar just sounds wrong in every sense of the word.

Feisar also ought to stay on the account of it being the best first ride for absolute newbies to the series. Not to mention it's my favourite team! :D

lordpenguin
10th September 2006, 10:28 AM
I think that there are too many teams in the newer games. The 5 in 2097 was a but stifling, but the 8 in 3 was really the perfect number. Fusion has about
8 off the top of my head, but then, yeah, g-tech as a replacement for AGsys? In your dreams... Pure, by nature of downloadable content (and a need to make the game a 'revival' of the brand), included many more teams, which is just confusing.

In my opinion, stick with 7-9 teams in a new game. Having a more select number of teams means that each team has a unique identity and role. Having many teams mean that some teams overlap each other, and thus some are ignored (like Triakaris>Qirex in pure I have heard).

My personal selection for a new game?
_From begin_
FESIAR
AG systems
Qirex
Xios (or other team from fusion)

_Unlockable_
Pirahna
Assegai
Icarus
Harimau (or other pure team)

_Really quite hard to unlock_
New Team

That way, you establish a core of teams from each block, maintaining continuity, while dropping some of the less unique/cool/decent craft specific to each game (which means that buying old games is still relevant).

If the system of download packs will continue into whichever console wipeout next goes, the capability to download certain old tracks and teams once you have finished the game (or reached some other high benchmark) is still cool.

Or maybe (thinking 3-4 games into the future), you will only be able to download the craft/teams from games that you already own, for instance importing craft from old save files.

eLhabib
10th September 2006, 01:06 PM
IMO, the next wipEout for PS3 should be true to the original wipEout, since it's the first of a new generation. Hence, starting teams would be:

-FEISAR
-Auricom
-AG 5Y5
-Qirex

unlockables CAN include one or 2 completely new ships, but the following HAVE TO be in the game:

-Piranha
-Assegai
-Goteki
-Triakis
-Icaras

teams that would be nice to see also are:

-EG.r
-VanUber

teams I don't ever want to see again are:

-Xios (bury the freakin' floating potato!)
-Tigron (can't be continued due to storyline anyway)
-Medievil (nothing more than a cross-game advertisment)
-Zone (get some personality!)
-Haribo (yes, that's not the actual name, I know, Rob ;))
-G-tech (...)

lunar
10th September 2006, 01:56 PM
Agree completely, Martin. I wouldn`t be too bothered about the demise of Van Uber, either. They could make way for something new, with a better name, imo. :)

Airrider
10th September 2006, 03:15 PM
Continuing on my full-bodied opinions!

Awww, I hear lots of anti-Zone sentiments. I stand by what I said before, that Zone should stay but deserves more personality, but if Zone really can't be revived or continued by itself, it deserves to live on through some other team, already existing or otherwise. Zone does sound "fake" or non-continuable because of what fields it (the actual racing commission!) Maybe Icaras can adopt Zone's balls-to-the-wall, turning-and-speed, screw-the-shield-stat strategy...

Van-Uber maybe needs a facelift. They still stink of F9000 manure when you look directly at one. Long booms with engine intakes...boxy cockpit section...my eyes, the goggles do nothing! I raced that one extensively, sure, but only because of its stats. Maybe they should bring back a little of the Wo3 style and look more like the old Goteki, that looks a little like this new Van-Uber.

And on that note...why haven't the designers looked at the older AG models, especially the super-edgy shapes from WO 2097 and WO3? Where have you gone, Designers' Republic? We need you now more than ever.

Lance
10th September 2006, 06:31 PM
Airrider, Designer's Republic did not design any of the ships, only the logos on the ships. The ships themselves were designed by artists in the Psygnosis/Sony studios in Liverpool and Leeds [for WO3].

Airrider
10th September 2006, 08:58 PM
Oops. Well, I STILL stand by the rest of what I said.

Chill
10th September 2006, 10:26 PM
I almost completely agree, but I'd rather swap Goteki for EG.r, but that's just me, you know. And the zone ship should just stay in "Zone Mode", but everything else is perfect if you ask me. ;)

Zerow
10th September 2006, 10:39 PM
I believe I forgot to mention which teams I never, EVER want to see again. They are really just Medievil and Puma/Coke 1 & 2. Any team I didn't mention here will be welcomed back with open arms by me (although Tigron can't come back, due to the storyline :frown:).

Airrider
10th September 2006, 10:44 PM
Oh, and no more movie tie-ins. Stealth ended up embarrassing itself. Unless you're an uber-racer who has his act together in the most incredible way, just lucky, or playing on Vector, this...thing is surefire lose simmered in fail and served with a side of bad. What's next, the DeLorean from Back To The Future? Luke Skywalker's landspeeder? A Star Trek shuttlecraft? A maglev car from Minority Report? Psssh.

Dominator
11th September 2006, 08:23 AM
I kinda agree with Martin, all teams from the first three installments of wipEout must make the cut, would like to see Triakis & EG.r there too :nod

Teams i never want to see again are:
:blarg
- Medievil (really)
- Zone
- Omega teams (nice tracks, **** looking craft)
- Xios
- VanUber
- Puma & Coke (friggin corporations more suited to the F9000 league)

lordpenguin
12th September 2006, 07:49 PM
Van-Uber maybe needs a facelift. They still stink of F9000 manure when you look directly at one. Long booms with engine intakes...boxy cockpit section...my eyes, the goggles do nothing! I raced that one extensively, sure, but only because of its stats. Maybe they should bring back a little of the Wo3 style and look more like the old Goteki, that looks a little like this new Van-Uber.

Van uber should buy out the old goteki team! Replace the bad craft design of VAnUber with the sort of stylish Goteki-ish thing.

I actually liked the way Goteki was still easy for newbies, but still a step up from feisar.

Dominator
12th September 2006, 10:31 PM
FEISAR bashing again :naughty ;)

Airrider
12th September 2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, besides, Goteki isn't a step up from FEISAR, just a team with a different strategy...

lordpenguin
13th September 2006, 12:06 PM
I meant like on a scale, from the easy to control but slow feisar to the fast but hard to control qirex, goteki is slightly less to the feisar end.

Don't get me wrong, i like feisar, I have got the furthest so far in Fusion using only feisar... Mind you, I haven't exactly unlocked all the other teams yet...

:(

Dominator
14th September 2006, 12:49 AM
Qirex was only fast and hard to control in the first three installments of wipEout!! Qirex didn't exist in Fusion and now with it's comeback in Pure is classed as a middleweight craft, neither slow or ultra fast, just in-between, same goes for handling :)

Airrider
14th September 2006, 01:24 AM
We need the old Qirex revived somehow. Big, brutal, fast in both acceleration and top speed. Something that only real skill can tame.

Dominator
14th September 2006, 09:13 AM
The next installment of wipEout might see FEISAR as the fastest team in the AG league!! ;)

lordpenguin
14th September 2006, 04:59 PM
Qirex was only fast and hard to control in the first three installments of wipEout!! Qirex didn't exist in Fusion and now with it's comeback in Pure is classed as a middleweight craft, neither slow or ultra fast, just in-between, same goes for handling :)

Wow. Qirex becomes an Auricom. I really must buy a psp.

Riccardo Raccis
14th September 2006, 05:42 PM
Wow. Qirex becomes an Auricom. I really must buy a psp.

Dead sure you must! :banzai

You see, the old Qirex had been swallowed by Tigron. This new Qirex is the re-creation of Feliks Levovich, no wonder it's different. It's just not the original. Maybe by the next WipEout Feliks will have tuned his team back to the old ways.

Sausehuhn
14th September 2006, 07:18 PM
Tigron will leave anyway, so Qirex could get his handling back :)

Riccardo Raccis
14th September 2006, 08:41 PM
Aye. If Feliks gets his mind straight :nod

Airrider
14th September 2006, 09:19 PM
If Feliks wants to revive the name of Qirex like he says he does, he has to.

Riccardo Raccis
14th September 2006, 09:39 PM
We're a bunch of psychos 8)

Airrider
14th September 2006, 09:49 PM
We're fanboys. It's indistinguishable from psychodom/

Captain Q
17th September 2006, 09:47 PM
Fanboyism is not so bad here. True fanboys will never really criticise a game for its gameplay, as long as there are plenty of boobs, guns, ninja or other novelties.

Like most, I think G-Tech should never come back. Dumb name, stupid design, uninspired ship. I've never been big on AG-Sys but usurping a classic team was probably the nail to its coffin in the eyes of many AG fans, including me. Xios = teh meh.

EG-r is ok, I think they should have a second go. After all, it's a bit weird China's now left without a team. We're on the threshold of the 23rd century in wipEout, and there's no Chinese team (anymore).

As far as I'm concerned Tigron can stay, too, though Triakis has done an admirable job as the team everyone loves to hate or hates to love as well.

Airrider
18th September 2006, 02:24 AM
Yeah, but here's the thing: the writers of the WipEout story in Studio Liverpool decided that Tigron's entry as a download pack was basically its final bow. As everyone said before, Tigron's ship in PurE is the last one they ever made. Unless Tigron gets under new management like the other "reborn" teams, the flame won't burn, baby, burn no more.

I'm not sure if we'll get new teams or not. I think they've made up more than enough to keep us happy.

Dominator
18th September 2006, 06:16 AM
The Tigron is so bloody ugly :blarg kinda looks like an old MiG-21 Fishbed, anyone agree.:D

http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_16.tn.jpg (http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/show.asp?tg=MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_16)

http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_17.tn.jpg (http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/show.asp?tg=MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_17)

lunar
18th September 2006, 10:18 AM
Agree, and as the Captain Q (Jeroen) says Triakis is the new baddie and does the job so well. ;)

China should indeed have a team, as there should be one from the oil-rich Gulf states, as was pointed out by the creator of the fanfic team Al-Vaskei. Not sure about that name, but, with all their passion for powerboat racing and motor racing in general, the Gulf States should certainly be expected to blow some cash on AG racing. :)

Captain Q
18th September 2006, 04:18 PM
Hey, nice of you to remember me mang!

Wouldn't India be a more logical candidate for a team, or even Iran? By the 23rd century I'm not sure if say, Saudi Arabia will be able to afford to spend billions on expensive toys.

Al-Vaskei does sound weird. Does Arabic have a [v]? Back in the days of my wipEout project, the Arabian team's name was Al-Qahira. But that may look too much like Al-Qaeda.

Asayyeah
18th September 2006, 06:20 PM
Al-Qahira vs Bushy-Nator :blarg
i'd rather stay with my peaceful & fatty triakis

:paperbag

Airrider
18th September 2006, 07:11 PM
Triakis isn't peaceful. They were made by arms dealers, for Pete's sake!

And hey, if industry keeps shifting Eastwards, why shouldn't there be a team from China, or India, or elsewhere? They'd have quite the resources to do it...

...and I think Tigron's resemblance to a Mig-21 isn't exactly true, it looks more like a Mig-15...I think they did this pseudo-Mig thing on purpose.

Lance
18th September 2006, 09:29 PM
The Tigron is so bloody ugly :blarg kinda looks like an old MiG-21 Fishbed, anyone agree.:D

http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_16.tn.jpg (http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/show.asp?tg=MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_16)

http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_17.tn.jpg (http://www.photovault.com/link/military/airforce/show.asp?tg=MYFVolume08/MYFV08P15_17)

I loved the ol' Fishbed. It was a real performer.

And how about that old Sukhoi 7, huh? A record setter in its day.

Lance
18th September 2006, 09:32 PM
Hey, nice of you to remember me mang!

Vasudeva, who? That guy was slow as a slug, man; Captain Q is waaay faster. ;) ;) ;) [turbowink]

Zerow
18th September 2006, 10:25 PM

I adore the newest Tigron - both it's appearance and it's performance.

I've seen much uglier ships in my time.

*looks at Medievil*

*shudders*

Airrider
18th September 2006, 11:02 PM
Medievil is why magic and the occult are not WipEout schticks.

Riccardo Raccis
18th September 2006, 11:27 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there's ever been a WipEout without some new teams. C'mon - getting to know the new teams is a big chunk of the fun. The problem now, with memory card/pack download galore, is maybe too many teams resembling each other - but I'm sure the Studio Liverpool guys can fix that. Like reintroducing team-exclusive weapons, adding new stats to tweak (Weight? Air Brake Efficiency?) or whatever.

And we do need a Chinese Team, and an Indian one would be great too. I mean, Makana Island has got his own team ;)

Airrider
18th September 2006, 11:38 PM
We tried using weight in Fusion, it unbalanced more than a few machines. Actually, no, none of these machines were balanced. Medievil? Hell no! I actually would prefer my joke idea of a Valkrie Profile team...at least you know the lead pilot's probably going to be an uber-hot legendary maiden...

I'd rather have those other attributes suggested added, like Ride Height, Braking power would be fine to a certain degree...Airworthiness, too. You know...coming off a ramp...more Airworthiness means it's easier to pull off rolls and such and easier to control in the air...not being able to control too much of my trajectory drives me nuts when I'm playing on Phantom shooting through the remake of Altima VII or whatever it's called...

Riccardo Raccis
18th September 2006, 11:58 PM
Oh aye, Altima VII, that's tough. Ah, sweet barrel roll :banzai

Captain Q
20th September 2006, 11:51 AM
Vasudeva, who? That guy was slow as a slug, man; Captain Q is waaay faster. ;) ;) ;) [turbowink]

True that :).

I think Tigron is ok, by the way. Unique weapons for each team would be great, but it may place the emphasis too much on combat again, and which each stat you introduce, you need to check the entire game balance again lest no one ship completely outclasses the rest.

That said, it's logical for the game to have a tier list, but I don't like how one team is an absolute winner and the others can never beat it, simply because they're not as good (e.g. Piranha in 2097 and Fusion, though the Zone ship from Pure is also close).

I don't think Medievil will ever return, it's more of a joke team, after all. Also, I didn't think the Cardracer, Klor, Haironaut and Turboweevel (afwul name!) were really necessary (and thus shouldn't come back). The designer tracks were cool, but the ships are meh.

Airrider
20th September 2006, 05:05 PM
I think nicking a point off acceleration or top speed would've kinda balanced Zone...anybody agree?

...and perhaps graffiti designers might not have been the best choice to design striking ship designs. Tracks, sure. Ships...I dunno about that.

Distrupto
23rd September 2006, 07:40 PM
When you think of it, Pure's Tigron does look a lot like a MiG-21, something that came over 230 years before it and from the same country as it. Has anyone noticed that WO is racing much faster into the future than time is moving? It's been 9 years since WO 2097 came out, if I'm not mistaken, and the WO world has already moved 100 years further into the future.

Anyway, teams that I'm sure won't be appearing in the next WO are medevil, klor, turboweevil, haironaut and cardracer, as medevil was an ad and the Omega racers were art pieces. Zone will probably be the same thing, a shieldless, statistically fast but unstable experimental ship, and most of the other teams will probably remain as they are. In the storyline though, probably Triakis would have ended up to be the winner of the 2197 FX300 world championship and then gone on to dominate. Some new teams will probably arise, and maybe we will see an Indian team. We've got one from Malaysia(Harimau), so why not? We also need an Australian one, I don't believe WO has one, does it?

Zerow
23rd September 2006, 10:34 PM
It's funny you should mention that, about an Australian team. As I honestly don't have a clue about what nationality Triakis is, I've guessed that they're Australian.

Can anyone verify on this?

Riccardo Raccis
23rd September 2006, 10:39 PM
Triakis is an international conglomerate. Multinational chaps. Now if the headquarters are in Australia, I don't know.

andy
23rd September 2006, 10:48 PM
What about a chinese team? Or is AG Systems chinese (sure its japanese)

I would definately want to see the back of G-Tech. From what I can remember, it had something to do with sewers (think it was the super weapon) and it just looked and handled awful. It was never going to beat AG-Systems.

And why did piranha (or pirahna in w3o) get demoted in 3 and pure?

Also, I've always hated that Medieval one. When you are in a race and you see one of them, it just ruins the credibility. It just doesn't go and is just a mindless plug. I wouldn't have minded if it was a cheat, but it just ruins the look and feel of the races.

Airrider
23rd September 2006, 10:50 PM
In order to preserve game balance. The 2097 Piranha was balanced because it had no weapons.

stin
23rd September 2006, 10:51 PM
I don`t think they got demoted!, but other ships just got better without their knowing it!

stevie;)

Riccardo Raccis
23rd September 2006, 10:59 PM
Piranha was Chinese once, then switched to Brazilian. Was Xios Chinese? Think it was. We definitely need China in the next Wipeout.

Airrider
23rd September 2006, 11:01 PM
No, Xios was Swedish. EG-R is the only team now that is Chinese. Unless Piranha moves back...

Sausehuhn
23rd September 2006, 11:41 PM
We definitely need China in the next Wipeout.

EG-R is the only team now that is Chinese.

There we have it. We need it back :D

Riccardo Raccis
24th September 2006, 12:12 AM
Totally! :D

I would love an off-world team too. No aliens - but imagine if the next Wipeout were set some other decades in the future, with say a human colony on Mars. I'd love to see the first Martian team :rock

Airrider
24th September 2006, 03:41 AM
Interesting. Colonists from the Moon or Mars becoming their own nation and fielding their own teams. Hey, Fusion already had tracks on the Moon...

ace-of-spades
24th September 2006, 03:01 PM
Interesting. Colonists from the Moon or Mars becoming their own nation and fielding their own teams. Hey, Fusion already had tracks on the Moon...
Thats a really nice idea, theres probably quite alot you could do to represent that in the ship as well.

Riccardo Raccis
24th September 2006, 04:50 PM
They possibly could sport ships optimized in the Moon or Mars environments.

Example: a Martian ship could be penalized by Earth's stronger gravity, maybe resulting in a mid-low top speed, but could take advantege of Earth's oxygen-richer atmosphere by having a Really Powerful Thrust. Eh? :D

Airrider
24th September 2006, 06:56 PM
Or the Lunar team, for that matter.

Hey, suggested stats like Ride Height and Airworthiness would make sense in that light. I mean, artificial air on Lunar or Martian colonies isn't the same as actual Earthling air, right? So our new Lunar and Martian teams might have some more unorthodox design techniques. My guess is that they would both ride lower due to Earth's stronger gravity, but one of them is gonna look...well, a bit pants really, because the air would be of quite a different quality, and thus aerodynamics would be changed as well.

That, and less gravity on their home celestial body means the craft can be designed with less regards to the effect that gravity would have on the design. You know...like it doesn't need to be reinforced that much. Hence, they might be quite fragile.

Hey...the Zone team could be a Lunar team, by such standards. I dunno.

Riccardo Raccis
24th September 2006, 07:08 PM
Nice points there. Now what really would be extra cool is if in addition to Lunar/Martian teams we actually got Lunar/Martian tracks with a gravity different from Earth's, a different atmosphere...

Airrider
24th September 2006, 07:12 PM
They'd probably be the most radical courses of the tour. Less gravity means more ridiculous track designs, huge jumps, and higher average speeds due to the fact that less gravity = less effective traction due to craft weight = more momentum carried through turns = big crashes in turns that might be too tight...so they'd all be straighter and smoother than other tracks...except for some mad undulation, extreme banking in curves...take your pick.

Riccardo Raccis
24th September 2006, 07:19 PM
The "team you don't wanna see" thread slowly turned into Wipeout Ideas Part 2...

Soooo... let's see. I vote for regional leagues, with one of the last leagues being Martian/Lunar. Imagine racing above and inside a Martian canyon in full PS3 glory, with colony buildings, screens and all that Wipeout stuff.

Airrider
24th September 2006, 07:24 PM
Well, we've run outta teams to really rail on. We don't want G-Tech because they suck, some of us don't want Tigron because the story is supposed to say they're finally done, we don't really want the Omega teams because they're art projects, we mostly don't want Medievil because they're an ad, some of us don't want Zone because they have no real personality...no Van-Uber because they're ugly and they're stealing FEISAR's schtick...what were some others...?

Oh yeah. Most of us want EG-R to come back because we need a Chinese team and they were the best-looking out of the Fusion teams, we want all the veteran teams to make it through, some of us want Xios, albeit without the stupid styling...

Riccardo Raccis
24th September 2006, 07:37 PM
Oh, no problem with talking ideas, me :D

Lance
24th September 2006, 07:40 PM
Guys, please do not try to turn one topic into another. [You know the Lancinator wouldn't allow it to happen for long anyway. :D ]

andy
24th September 2006, 08:09 PM
I'm going to make a thread called "Ideas for teams to appear in the next WipEout", or something like that. Seems to be productive and I just read that thread about hi-jacking.

Lance
24th September 2006, 09:04 PM
We already have a thread for ideas for the next Wipeout, some of which concerns itself with the teams

ace-of-spades
25th September 2006, 08:32 AM
Has it ever been suggested... That perhaps the moderation is a little over zealous?

Please dont shoot me...

Task
25th September 2006, 12:33 PM
8 D Yes, it's been mentioned a couple times.
There are even topics discussing it, you could probably search for them. 8 )

In all honesty, it's a choice between what we've got and a totally new thread of "what's your favourite ship?!?" every month. And that kind of thing. One way or the other, this "finished" topic is hardly the place to discuss it. 8 )

Lance
25th September 2006, 05:56 PM
Has it ever been suggested... That perhaps the moderation is a little over zealous?

Please dont shoot me...

My opinion, of course:
If you aren't zealous about eliminating redundancy and about keeping each thread ontopic, then all topics become the same topic, in other words, everything. I've seen this in its early stages on another board. If you let it go, then nobody can find what they actually want to talk about because a discussion on any one subject is scattered through 4 or 5 threads. Tends to make a message board useless when that happens. If people want to talk about everything and constantly shift topics in one thread, then it would require a live chat room or something similar. But trying to return to that place and actually ever find any subject or specific information would be a time-gobbling nightmare.

''Please dont shoot me...''
Oh, hell no, I'm not thAt zealous.
mm... a little session on the rack, maybe? ;)

Airrider
25th September 2006, 06:45 PM
If we do get too off-topic, I say we oughta lock this thread already. We've already exhausted our main points on the subject, I think.

Lance
25th September 2006, 07:19 PM
But some newcomers might not have; we get new members all the time and they might want to say which teams they don't want to see on future Wipeouts, too.

Airrider
25th September 2006, 08:19 PM
That is true. Okay then.

Wolfen
25th September 2006, 10:15 PM
Well I was reading through this thread a couple days ago (just got my membership now) and I was thinking that the "Omega" teams are actually kinda cool to me, because they seem almost (i.e., I pretend) non-corporate entries, just dudes who are into AG racing and supe up an old AG kit or something. So I wouldn't mind seeing a few "non-team" racers in future WipEouts.:nod

Distrupto
26th September 2006, 08:22 PM
You mean something like privateers? I don't think so, we have the FX-150 for that. FX-300 is a pro league.

Airrider
26th September 2006, 08:41 PM
That is true...

Wolfen
26th September 2006, 10:21 PM
Well, it's not that they wouldn't be pros. I'm sure they'd have to meet certain qualifications, etc. They just wouldn't necessarily have corporate funding. If you like, imagine a group of wealthy investors supports the craft's upkeep, sort of the way American sports team owners do it more for love of the game and thrill of victory, rather than pure profit motivations.

Airrider
27th September 2006, 12:43 AM
Meaning, one of those teams that probably is only in it for the heck of it?

ace-of-spades
27th September 2006, 01:16 PM
There are privateers in GP racing and Superbikes, both these series are professional...

Lance
27th September 2006, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking of the Paul Newman backed team, Newman - Haas [Karl Haas], and the David Letterman - Bobby Rahal team. Both of them are celebrity funded teams run by a pro racer. However one of the most famous efforts in racing history was the Rob Walker team [yes, the Johnny Walker scotch whiskey family.], a completely private unsponsored Formula One team in the late 50s, 60s, and probably 70s. Some of the greats drove for Walker, Stirling Moss being the most notable for me. One of history's greatest drives was the Victory in Monaco in um... 1961, I think, when Moss drove Walker's Lotus 18 brilliantly to hold off the Ferrari team.

So yeah, privateers can compete on the highest professional level, but it isn't very common, so you wouldn't want to have more than one or at most two such teams in a Wipeout game.

eLhabib
28th September 2006, 01:08 PM
ooops Lance, bit of a slip up there with the double post ;)

anyway, I don't think privateers would fit well into the wipEout universe. If you have teams, you can see yourself as a pilot for that team, you are not pressed into a pre-defined character (especially with the idea having the pilot name somewhere tagged on the ship) - so if you'd play with a privateer ship, you would become that person in the game, and not play as yourself. Oh boy I sure hope SOMEONE understands what my point is :D

Lance
28th September 2006, 05:20 PM
My ISP cut out just as I clicked the send button and I got no response from the WZ server. It seemed not to post the first time. When I got online again, I just hit post again to make sure it got through.

Then while reading yet more of the new posts, the WZ server stopped responding at all. Got a message from Seagull frame saying that there was no ''handler'' for the address word, ''forum''. So apparently Rob was switching servers, as I could not get the forums or the main page for the rest of the day while I was online.

Wolfen
28th September 2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah that was weird. I'm glad the boards are back up and running. :clap

Anyway, yeah I'm not saying we need the SAME Omega teams back, or even the same number of not-quite-real-teams in the next iteration of WipEout, just that they don't really bother me, and it can be fun to use them once in a while. I'm not sure why, but sometimes I like to use the turboweevel because it makes the races closer and more exciting (and often more violent).

I guess my only concern is that team Icarus doesn't step on the toes of team Piranha too much in the next version. I'd prefer to keep every team as valid/viable as possible, but OTOH, with team/ship downloads I guess we could just keep the balance among only the initial game teams, kind of adjusting for balance with download packs as the game matures (like in Pure).

Sausehuhn
28th September 2006, 10:22 PM
ok, then, if there were "non-real" teams again, give us the option to turn them off. Shouldn't be a problem anymore then.

Dominator
28th September 2006, 11:15 PM
Turning off *non-real teams* :nod This is a must as alot of us don't like these ... pretenders :-

Hybrid Divide
29th September 2006, 02:49 AM
The EG.r was one of only 2 ships that I thought actually retained some semblance of traditional wipEout aesthetics in Fusion, the other being Feisar, untill you got to it's third stage of upgrade then it looked like someone had stuck 2 surfboards to the sides for a laugh and no one on the racing team noticed. The EG.r had a sleek angular design and a decent enough livery although the backstory was utter crap, especially for the pilots.

I agree with this. I REALLY liked the original ship designs. (Like from the WipEout 1 intro video. (I think AG-Systems used this design in WO 1) Since then, FEISAR has most retained the look of the original craft. I'd like to see some like that in the new game.

Dominator
29th September 2006, 07:34 AM
And Feisar is still a thing of beauty!! :nod :D

Wolfen
29th September 2006, 06:58 PM
Turning off *non-real teams* :nod This is a must as alot of us don't like these ... pretenders :-

well if possible, it would be optimal to just be able to download the extra craft, as in Pure. Then you can delete the ones you find distasteful.

If that's not an option for some reason, then yeah, I guess I agree that I'd rather just keep them out altogether.

Out of curiosity, do any of you Omega-team-haters (or team[s] Puma etc. for that matter) have any of those "teams" still on your PSP? Or did you try, then delete them?

Zerow
29th September 2006, 08:40 PM
Indeed, the Omega ships are seperate downloads from the Omega tracks and skins, so you could delete them without having to worry about losing the tracks.

Rapier Racer
29th September 2006, 08:51 PM
I hate the Omega pack in its entirety with the exception of 12Klan however I'm keeping it on because if one day the downloads are no longer available I still want to have it. Also I would be excluded from some races on Kai, the ships make good cannon fodder and don’t seem to show up that often when I race the AI anyway unlike the Puma ships they seem to appear a lot…….

Wolfen
29th September 2006, 09:52 PM
Yes, I've noticed that the damn Puma ships almost always appear in my races. That's gotta be something they programmed in on purpose.

Evil corporate bastards. :bat Makes me never want to buy a pair of Pumas.

Maybe in the next installment they'll give us a Bush/Cheney team. :blarg

andy
30th September 2006, 09:08 AM
I actually liked the Puma 1, it was fast and manouverable, just like assagai should have been

Zerow
30th September 2006, 11:33 PM
Agreed, the Puma ships are actually quite good, particuarly Puma 1.

It's just a shame they couldn't be part of an actual team.

Wolfen
2nd October 2006, 07:26 PM
I agree, Puma 1 is a good ship. Puma 2 is also, but it's basically a clone of the Auricom ship.

I hope that in future installments of WipEout, they have a more "granular" stats system, I mean come on, rankings only go 1 to 5? Why not make it 1 to 10? Then you'd have more variation, and also, 1 to 5 means some ships become almost obsolete with new additions (in other words, just plain better ships come along, outdating the originals).

Lion
2nd October 2006, 08:25 PM
in pure stats are not the whole story
going just by the stats, icaras should be much easier to set good times in, and triakis should be fairly slow.
but there's a weight/monentum factor (and probably other parameters) that we don't see that makes a big difference to the handling

Airrider
2nd October 2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah. A weightier machine would carry more speed through curves.
With that thought, a Triakis would scramble through curves with wild abandon...if it doesn't eat a mouthful of wall first.

Wolfen
3rd October 2006, 12:20 AM
I honestly didn't even know that about hidden stats. Are you sure?;)

But it does explain a lot, about the Icaras. I'm having a helluva (rather unfun) time trying just to get a gold medal in the second Delta track (can't remember the track name) using Icaras. Of course I don't fair much better in other craft, AND I think it's probably because I'm not skilled enough to use the stupid shortcut every lap (the narrow one where you go through the little hole in the wall to the upper right of the main track).

I always seem to get burned by another ship who uses that shortcut; it's so damn frustrating!:mad:

But hey, I've only had the game like less than 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll get better.:redface:

Dominator
3rd October 2006, 12:46 AM
Puma 2 is also, but it's basically a clone of the Auricom ship.
:o

I think you'll find Puma 2 to be a Qirex of old!! :)

The Delta track you refer to is Anulpha Pass, when i first played this track i too had huge problems with the shortcut, constantly being knocked off or just slid off with my very light Feisar craft on that narrow angled piece of track!! You should try with a heavy Piranha or Triakis, very little sliding movement and much easier to correct than a lightweight craft!!
I have mastered the shortcut now with pretty much any craft as will you!! :D

Anulpha Pass is one of my favorite tracks, hope it will be for you!! :D

Wolfen
3rd October 2006, 01:08 AM
Well it's good to hear that I'm not the only one who's had problems with Anulpha Pass!

I'll try it again tonight using Auricom, but I'm not ready for Piranha (or even Triakis) yet; I think I tried them last week and just crashed into walls like a fool. But then again, I was sleep-deprived and it seems like being well rested helps in these frantic Flash+ races.

...I need that gold medal so I can unlock the damn Delta tournament!:mr-t

Dominator
3rd October 2006, 01:28 AM
It'll happen, your only two weeks into the game, give it time!!:)
I acquired all 329 gold medals using the one ship - Feisar before i started trying other AG craft!!
Maybe you should try getting used to the one ship, learn it and master it!!
Alot of people here like the Middleweight class Goteki-45 for instance, anyway see how you go.

Airrider
3rd October 2006, 01:48 AM
:o

I think you'll find Puma 2 to be a Qirex of old!! :)

No it isn't, it's Quantax in name only. It has the same damn stats as Auricom!

Dominator
3rd October 2006, 02:01 AM
My apologies, the Puma 2 stats are a clone of Auricom's, i never noticed this.

Lion
3rd October 2006, 02:03 AM
making it a sheep in wolf's clothing ;)

Scaraba
3rd October 2006, 08:19 AM
Look, I'm sorry, but whoever bashes Feisar WILL be stabbed by a 3 ton hobo >.>; No, not really... But out of all seriousness I like all the teams... maybe they'll make the new wipeout have every track/team known to the wipeout universe in it... I mean I'd love being able to relive the original wipeout in completely revamped graphics wouldn't you??? Nex-gen Silverstream anyone?
(and also use all of the songs from the old wipeout as well :33)

Dominator
3rd October 2006, 01:37 PM
Agree with nearly everything you said Scaraba!! :nod :D
I don't however like all the teams!!:-

Scaraba
4th October 2006, 12:45 AM
yeah niether do I but.. some of them deserve another chance =p

Wolfen
5th October 2006, 01:58 AM
I acquired all 329 gold medals using the one ship - Feisar before i started trying other AG craft!!

Damn, Dominator, you are a true Feisar believer!:+

And by the way, your advice was spot-on. I used Auricom for Anulpha Pass, and finally got the hang of that shortcut. Not only that, but your statement about the "hidden" stat (weight/momentum) actually helped me out a lot too, because now that I understand how the "heavier" craft will slip through the turns more easily, I actually tend to avoid the ones with really high Manoeverability.

I've opened up the game again, thanks bro!:robot

Distrupto
5th October 2006, 02:03 AM
What's this got to do with what teams that you don't want in the next WO?

Wolfen
5th October 2006, 02:12 AM
Ok ok, point taken. I was just thanking him for a suggestion he made to me in this thread. :brickwall

As far as teams i don't want to see in the next iteration, hmm, how about the new ones from Fusion, since I've never played it and don't really want to. :bomb

Captain Q
7th October 2006, 11:53 PM
I agree, Puma 1 is a good ship. Puma 2 is also, but it's basically a clone of the Auricom ship.

I hope that in future installments of WipEout, they have a more "granular" stats system, I mean come on, rankings only go 1 to 5? Why not make it 1 to 10? Then you'd have more variation, and also, 1 to 5 means some ships become almost obsolete with new additions (in other words, just plain better ships come along, outdating the originals).

Yes, that's a problem.

Suppose we have five stats (speed, acceleration, turning circle, shield and mass) each graded 1 to 10, that would seem better, but honestly a ship with speed 1-4 would be completely worthless, as would any ship with 1 or 2 for turning circle or 8-10 for mass. The trick then with adding more teams is to balance them all out, which even on a ten-point scale is hard to do if you want to avoid blandness or imbalancing. So in short, I think a wider scale wouldn't solve these problems.

lunar
9th October 2006, 09:13 AM
I think the stats are just a rough description of what a ship can do, and they work well for that. They aren`t really all that relevant to a ship`s actual performance. I don`t know why, but not all speed 3 ships have the same straight line speed, for example. I like the way you actually have to play the game to find out the real abilities of a ship. It took us at least six months of all playing it to realise how great Triakis is. The handling stat seems to just refer to a ship`s potential turning circle without use of brakes, but in reality, if handling means how quickly a ship can take corners, Triakis handling stat should be 5 and the twitchy old Zone ship should be no more than a 3.

Whichever ships come back, SL are very nearly there on balancing the ships perfectly. They did a great job. If Triakis wasn`t in Pure they would have done it, so while I do want Triakis back, because it`s a real classic team (the only new team from Fusion and Pure that has earned this status), it should come back as the big killer tank machine, quite quick, but not the fastest ship too, as it was in Pure. Triakis isn`t a super-ship like Icaras and Piranha in the old games, it`s not that much quicker, but the most important thing for me: I don`t want a ship that`s the obvious best choice for every TT and everyone racing online for rankings. :)

infoxicated
9th October 2006, 11:00 AM
Whichever ships come back, SL are very nearly there on balancing the ships perfectly. They did a great job. If Triakis wasn`t in Pure they would have done itI have to disagree with that - the AG Systems ship is one of the weekest in the game, despite the thrust and handling qualities. You cant really take part in weapon play because you need to absorb to keep your energy up so you can barrell roll. A couple of the ships are hamstrung like this, so despite AG Sys being my favourite I hardly ever play with it - the low energy level means it's useless for time trials, too.

Ship choice should be more about handling characteristics and your personal choice of team - I'd rather see the records tables littered with different ships than have the top five places taken up by a single ship.

Mad-Ice
9th October 2006, 01:01 PM
Lunar said: Triakis isn`t a super-ship like Icaras and Piranha in the old games, it`s not that much quicker, but the most important thing for me: I don`t want a ship that`s the obvious best choice for every TT and everyone racing online for rankings.

I think Triakis is the super-ship in Pure like Icaras and Piranha in the old games, especially in TT. In single race i have the feeling when i fly in Triakis that the AI is on me all the time with rockets and quakes.

About the ships that i do want to see back in future WipEout are all the ships in all the WipEout series 1,2 and 3(SE) and only EG-r from Fusion, because it looks so good and flies mighty fine. From Pure all the ships except Medievil, that design doesn't fit WipEout in any way. About the stats i like the idea of ranking in the scale of 10 instead of 5. But what i do want is that the ships are more equal. For example per ship you have like max. 28 points divided over 4 areas: Ship1; Speed 8, Acceleration 10, Handling 3, Shield 7. Ship2; Speed 10, Acceleration 5, Handling 8, Shield 5. etc. so every ship will be equally strong but in their own area.

lunar
9th October 2006, 01:26 PM
about the Triakis supership, yes it is a supership in that it is unbeatable in TT if the pilot skill is the same, and it has many other great advantages. I mean that it isn`t massively faster than the other ships, at most 0.5 seconds faster per lap, versus a fast ship like Goteki or Assegai, for example. The difference with old Icaras and Piranha was much greater. Piloting skill still makes a huge difference. Without Triakis there would be a lot of competition between ships for best times, so I think they did a better job of ship-balancing on Pure than the old games, but there`s room for improvement, for sure. The effect of barrel rolls has to be thought through better. Low shield ships really don`t have a fair chance once you get more than one BR per lap. :)

I agree EGR are the only Fusion team worthy of a recall, I don`t want to see the others. I don`t really want to see Harimau again either, unless they come up with a better offering and a new name. ;)

Lion
10th October 2006, 04:20 AM
the 3 ships I use probably equal least in pure are feisar, auricom, and harimau.
they just aren't compelling and don't offer me anything that the other ships lack.
ag systems I do use fairly often because I find it easy to keep under control at phantom speeds.
goteki is basically a quicker version of ag-systems in many ways, but I do find that it rolls from side to side much more readily.
ag tends to be my warm up ship, or the one that I use for my first few attempts at a TT medal

auricom and feisar HAVE to come back in the next iteration, but harimau I could cheerfully wave goodbye

Wolfen
14th October 2006, 01:02 AM
Well, I guess I don't care much for Harimaru either, mostly because that stupid "Haironaut" thing (from the Omega pack) has exactly the same stats, except its shield is 4 rather than Harimaru's anemic 2. Since they're both new "teams" and thus I don't have any strong allegiance to either, why would I pick the one with a weaker shield?

Lion
14th October 2006, 09:40 AM
because haironaut is one of the omega freaks? ;)

Zerow
14th October 2006, 08:19 PM
Indeed, at least Harimau is a more 'proper' WipEout team.

I quite like the Harimau, in any case.

Omni Requiem
24th October 2006, 07:43 PM
Design-wise, I think it looks very cool, but the stats need shuffling around a bit. Just because the team is all about pacifism, it doesn't mean that the craft has to be a pacifist too.

heatseeker
23rd March 2007, 03:48 PM
Harimau is s*** Haironaut is s*** ~whats the diff???

rdmx
24th March 2007, 03:21 AM
One was created with Colin Berry's tender loving care.;)

heatseeker
24th March 2007, 06:33 AM
eh?
what are you on about? :blarg

infoxicated
26th March 2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe if you took some time to read through the forums, you'd know.

New paradigm
30th March 2007, 02:05 PM
Ok i definetly don't want to see tigron or G-tech. Xios maybe but not with the same dumb design as in Fusion.

RJ O'Connell
31st March 2007, 08:28 PM
New Paradigm: G-Tech = Good Technology (the TDR fill-ins that did Fusion) as a "Mary Jane" team. As long as GT aren't involved, they won't be showing up. And good riddance. G-Tech should never have happened. At least Tigron had their own level of bad-ass.

I know Harimau is the brainchild of Colin Berry, who we all respect as a wonderful designer, but let's be honest...did they ever really catch on and distingush themselves as a special team in Pure? No, not really. And unless Harimau becomes a ship of choice in Pulse, I can easily see their days being numbered...