PDA

View Full Version : Liberty City Stories

Rapier Racer
11th September 2005, 06:41 PM
Well now threes actually some stuff on the site http://www.rockstargames.com/libertycitystories some rather amusing things, new screens and a video, so do give your opinions of the new(ish) GTA

I'm looking forward to it but don't think it'll do as well as the PS2 versions, I can also see it flattening my PSP battery extremely quickly

infoxicated
11th September 2005, 08:38 PM
I can see it sucking. If it had been made by Rockstar North, then I'd have more confidence, but when a franchise is handed off to another development studio they rarely fare well.

Dogg Thang
11th September 2005, 08:39 PM
On the other hand... WO3.

I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it turns out well.

xEik
12th September 2005, 10:11 AM
Although I own GTA III, I fail to enjoy all the fun this game series is supposed to deliver.

Not that I consider it bad, it's just not my kind of game. I simply hope it's good, they sell millions and PSP lowers its price due to its commercial succes. Then I will be able to afford a second PSP to challenge lots of people I know who won't be spending their money in one. :P

infoxicated
13th September 2005, 12:30 PM
Interesting preview on Eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60843

It'll be weird driving motorbikes around Liberty City ;)

Seek100
13th September 2005, 02:57 PM
I'm mostly annoyed at all the things cut from San Andreas - mainly the bikes (peddle ones) and the ability most humans have not to die when coming into contact with water. Also they've completely ditched flying vehicles, which is a real mother, but apparently it was screwing up trying to fly planes on the PSP.

w3o was still developed by Psygnosis, just another branch of them, Rockstar North - formerly DMA Design, another old-skool developer gutted and absorbed by the corporate machine aren't really related in the same way Psygnosis Leeds was to Psygnosis Liverpool.

Also they seem to have a knack for crummy main characters, Tommy Vercetti was a decent character who I could take seriously, but CJ was such a pansy-arse goody goody, I dropped SA after a few days of play. The main character in this is supposed to be Tony Cipriani one of the mute character's contacts in GTAIII, as I recall he was a fat bald guy who couldn't stand up to his mother, not exactly a prime candidate for lead in the game.

Mobius
13th September 2005, 03:04 PM
Didn't rockstar north (or DMA) develop lemmings?

If so, the next incarntion of the puzzler will have lemmings which say "Oh f**k" just before they blow up instead. :)

Task
13th September 2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, they did. And Psygnosis published it.

It's like they're the source of everything you love, isn't it? 8 D

Purist
25th October 2005, 11:28 AM
Delayed here (Europe) til 4th November :cry: but for those stateside who've bought and played... what are your thoughts? the reviews are certainly KICK ASS!
Soundtrack - http://www.gtapsp.com/index.php?page=soundtrack
Cast and Characters - http://www.gtapsp.com/index.php?page=castlist
Multiplayer modes - http://www.gtapsp.com/index.php?page=multiplayer
:wink:

killerfrog
25th October 2005, 12:03 PM
I know this game will surely kick ass......as all GTA game.....however i don't like it and i'm not going to buy it! :)

I prefer my wipe , mercury and lumines now :)

Drakkenmensch
25th October 2005, 01:17 PM
If anybody plays it, give us your own review, okay? I'm curious to see how GTA measures up on our precious portable :)

aesop
25th October 2005, 03:54 PM
This game is only worth buying because it's set in Liberty City. It's still the best city to have police chases in.

Why lie.

infoxicated
25th October 2005, 04:16 PM
I think your summary is whack. Why lie.

The game has seven wireless multiplayer modes and that's a cut above every other game released for the PSP. That makes a bigger difference than it being set in Liberty City.

Drakkenmensch
25th October 2005, 04:37 PM
I've just checked the review link posted above by Purist - this game really seems to deliver the goods!

kaiotheforsaken
25th October 2005, 06:58 PM
lemmings is coming to psp lol. anyway on topic, i'm still excited about this game, from what i hear its gta3 on psp with some extra stuff, which is good cause i came into the game series after vice, so i could never bring myself to just drive cars lol, so i'll probably scoop it up. as for rockstar north being bad, i'm pretty sure san andreas was at least partially done there and thats one of my favorite games, either way looking forward to playing it.

Mobius
25th October 2005, 07:33 PM
This installment is made by Rockstar Leeds, a fairly new branch of the company. Funnily enough called Mobius Software before...

I aint gonna buy it but is it an 18 rating like the last the rest? And also, anyone notice loads of games are now getting U and PG ratings now? I mean, whats that all about?

I bet Lemmings is gonna get slapped with a 18 rating for depicting scenes of suicide... :P

Drakkenmensch
25th October 2005, 07:59 PM
We can be fairly certain to expect an M rating in any game where the acts of violence occuring are somethign that could conceivably happen in real life, like carjackings, drive-bys and generally shooting at other people with pistols and shotguns, as opposed to using psychic powers to make other people's heads explode Scanners-like.

Rapier Racer
8th November 2005, 10:03 PM
Well I’ve been playing it like mad over the last few day, and yes that does mean pure had been neglected a tad (ducks) love it! I still can’t believe they managed to squash GTA onto the PSP, it was hard to get used to driving and walking around using the PSP nub though must have wrecked a good few cars/squished innocent civilians, also had a go at multiplayer which was good fun stealing a tank and causing big damage and killing the other guy, did the police use the PIT manoeuvre before? Once the law get on your arse its not easy to get them off :evil:

Drakkenmensch
8th November 2005, 11:19 PM
it was hard to get used to driving and walking around using the PSP nub though must have wrecked a good few cars/squished innocent civilians
Isn't that something you would have done even while being in full control anyway? :twisted:

infoxicated
9th November 2005, 08:03 AM
I've been playing it quite heavily too, when I've had the chance, and got some multiplayer action in yesterday. I have to say, though, that certain multiplayer games, like Liberty City Survivor, have been spoiled slightly by the power of the shotgun. Whoever has it will win, so it's best just to go looking for a shotgun rather than take on someone who might have gotten one first.

Single player is good fun, though - first PSP game for me with a decent single player mode. :)

Rapier Racer
9th November 2005, 11:12 AM
lol yes Drakk but I'd rather have full control over who I squish and when, also it's no good if your on a mission and you blow up the car carrying passengers who must live in order for you to succeed

Infox.... first first game with a decent single player mode :o

Drakkenmensch
9th November 2005, 11:42 AM
Too true, AD, you wouldn't want to miss anyone by accident :twisted:

Jittery-Joe
9th November 2005, 02:03 PM
Yay! I have it now, and it's rather good too! :D

bakkufu
9th November 2005, 02:05 PM
I just bought it too - been playing it all lunch :oops:

Dogg Thang
9th November 2005, 06:16 PM
I've been playing this for a week now and it never ceases to amaze. GTA just came out beautifully on the PSP. Unfotunately I haven't played multiplayer (and am not likely to as I have the US version) but the single player exceeded my expectations. Has there been a more ambitious handheld game?

I quite like the new side missions too like the Avenging Angel missions and the salesman missions. It's all fun! I did miss some of the San Andreas additions at first but I got over that quite quickly.

My only problem with the game is that, because I played GTA3 so much, there isn't that feeling of wonder when a new section is unlocked. I know it all too well. Still, what a game!

Jittery-Joe
9th November 2005, 06:42 PM
Hmmm, yeah... Plus the controls are a bit odd, after being brought up on the PS2 versions...

Drakkenmensch
12th December 2005, 10:52 PM
Apparently, Rockstar is already working on the next GTA game! (http://www.wimp.com/gta/)

Sausehuhn
17th December 2005, 06:53 PM
:dizzy :sonar :clap

Dogg Thang
19th December 2005, 07:30 AM
What does a sonar smiley mean?

username
19th December 2005, 09:58 AM
i guess it means that you are looking for something. personally i like the first one best with the vacant look and spinning eyes!

Apparently, Rockstar is already working on the next GTA game! (http://www.wimp.com/gta/)

working on it? it is out in great brightan right now! i want it but i also want alot of other stuff to! (256mb psp stick, xenosaga 2, ps2 memory card) and alot more!

eLhabib
19th December 2005, 10:54 AM
so, could you please be so kind and acquire an additional copy of GTA:LEGO CITY and send it to me? I'll pay you in full, plus shipping, naturally.

:p :D

Drakkenmensch
19th December 2005, 12:46 PM
I was playing GTA: Lego City last night and I unlocked a new weapon - plastic explosives!

Even when you don't want to attract attention, you can still do a silent kill easily - there's always a few bricks lying around when you need them ;)

Jittery-Joe
19th December 2005, 02:29 PM
Apparently (according to a UK PS2 mag) the next GTA: PSP will be Vice City. Again. Which'll probably be followed up by a San Andreas City (but thats just my guess).

Rapier Racer
25th December 2005, 04:20 PM
I can’t imagine we’ll be seeing san andreas on the PSP, surely its just too big to fit on a UMD

Lion
25th December 2005, 10:27 PM
is there anything preventing games on PSP from spanning multiple UMDs?
I can't imagine it working for san andreas, but anything sufficiently linear I could deal with that...
alternatively have a "setup" umd, that installs pieces of a game to the memory stick, then the rest of the game is on UMD