PDA

View Full Version : Don't play and drive!

X
11th September 2005, 05:11 PM
Well I wasn't driving myself... but today I was playing WipEout PurE in the car while my father was driving and I was in the passenger seat. That felt really weird. The movement of the car really adds to the experience, but when you turn a corner while the car makes a corner in the opposite direction, I started to oversteer. After a few rounds I had to stop and play something else because I started to feel sick...
Just try it sometime.

eLhabib
11th September 2005, 05:12 PM
I used to play purE on the bus back in spring when I still went to college, same effect.

Sausehuhn
11th September 2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I feel sick too when I do this. I think it's because the floating effect is so... so... so hard for the eyes when the sourrounding is bumping in all directions as well.

But I've a method to solve the problem:
I play Ridge Racer :D

xEik
12th September 2005, 10:05 AM
I play every day on the train from my house to work and viceversa.

It feels great when turning or acceleration of the game and the train get coupled. It is horrible for your race when they are opposite. :D

Another anoying situation is when the train starts to shake a little and it is difficult to keep your hands from moving, thus the screen starts to move relatively to your eyes. An all this in Phantom. :)

One thing I've noticed is that if I manage to win in a circuit while in the train, it becomes a piece of cake in the tranquility of my room. 8)

Drakkenmensch
12th September 2005, 12:40 PM
I play in the bus and subway all the time, and each has its own subset of special problems added.

In the subway, there's occasional brutal braking that really throws you off, and the once in a while crazy person that forces you to keep an eye on them discreetly when they get a little TOO close to you. Gotta be careful at how they could suddenly react.

In the bus, especially in the morning or late in the afternoon, there's sunlight that suddenly shifts every time the bus takes a corner. When it's near sunset, the sun suddenly shifting in your eyes can turn screen visibility from good to entirely opaque yellow glare. This is especially problematic if you were in the middle of dealing with the 90 degree turns of Manor Top. "GAH! BLIND! BLIND! PAUSE!!!"

username
12th September 2005, 12:48 PM
eer, i cant drive: me 15!! :oops:

MissileStrike
13th September 2005, 07:44 AM
You people must concentrate! But I suppose I cant really talk, as i've never tried it yet. But I will on Friday! Heading to Tom Price and while doing that I will test it's replayibility.

Jittery-Joe
13th September 2005, 06:05 PM
You ever noticed that the 'safety notices' inside the manual's front cover says don't play in the dark? theres a good reason for that. The trip-Switch ble win my house whilst I was on the PSP (Staten Park, Piranha, Venom if you must know). In the 30 seconds before someone else turned the swtich on again, it gave me the worst headache I've ever had. Won't be doing that ever again soon. Bet playing on the move doesn't come close.

eLhabib
13th September 2005, 06:47 PM
you CAN play in the dark WITHOUT getting headaches, you just have to set the PSP's screen to a dimmer setting. If you have it on setting 3 or 4 (only possible when connected to power), no wonder it gives you headaches in the dark - it's like looking into a flashlight! 8O

Drakkenmensch
13th September 2005, 06:57 PM
When I get home in the dark and the automated light in my lobby hasn't turned on yet, I use my PSP as a flashlight to see my door lock and get the key in :)

G'Kyl
13th September 2005, 07:32 PM
el.habib: exactely. A nicely dimmed screen and no other lights around you even makes the PSP screen shine more than it does already. :) Although when you sit in sunlight - I really wish they had made it less reflective. :|

Ben

Jittery-Joe
13th September 2005, 07:52 PM
you CAN play in the dark WITHOUT getting headaches, you just have to set the PSP's screen to a dimmer setting. If you have it on setting 3 or 4 (only possible when connected to power), no wonder it gives you headaches in the dark - it's like looking into a flashlight! 8O

I've looked into torches in the dark before with no ill effect, why should this be any different...

Kansas
13th September 2005, 09:35 PM
try playing and walking at the same time... it will blow your mind.

eLhabib
13th September 2005, 10:44 PM
I've looked into torches in the dark before with no ill effect, why should this be any different...

you have focused the center of light of a torch in the dark for 30 seconds without feeling uncomfortable? you should probably consult a doctor...

username
14th September 2005, 10:59 AM
speaking of staring into lights 8O does anyone know if blacklights can damage the eye, you know the type that makes white and fluorescent surfaces glow in the dark.
i dont get a headache from the psp in the dark on the dimmest setting though (just to stay on topic :wink: )

Kansas
14th September 2005, 04:42 PM
blacklight has been proven to create slight mutations in sea algea. This is after the sea algea was exposed to blacklight for only a few minutes.

eLhabib
14th September 2005, 05:04 PM
well that's probably because sea algea aren't exposed to much light at all in their normal habitat. Some deep-sea creatures would even die if you flashed them with a torch.

Drakkenmensch
14th September 2005, 05:17 PM
Black lights are ultraviolet rays, which can cause massive mutations and kill all life if not filtered adequately by the atmosphere. That's precisely why skin cancer is on the rise since the ozone layer is depleting and why you shouldn't have black lights turned on 24/7 in your appartment.

Kansas
14th September 2005, 08:21 PM
HEAR! HEAR!

He just expanded on what I said.

xEik
15th September 2005, 08:24 AM
ultraviolet rays ... can ... kill all life
I think you underestimate life, sir.

username
15th September 2005, 09:58 AM
aeeeeeeoaaaah 8O that cant be too good then as i have a 40w blacklight fluorescent tube in my room on all the time!! i think that i will only have it on at night now!! :lol:

mind you im thinking of having a blacklight room its gonna have black paint all in it and a uv strip light

my psp does not give me a headache on level 2 but on level 3 it certianly does after 5 minuits