PDA

View Full Version : Triakis in first? (anyone else noticed this?)

Jittery-Joe
10th September 2005, 12:54 PM
whenever I'm on any single player mode race in any team (except Triakis) Triakis always seem to end up in first (untill I come along in my Trusty piranha). I can't see how this can logically happen, as to me the Triakis craft seems to be the AG equivalent of a milk float (eg. Slow and unweildly). How can they 1. get so far ahead in an aweful craft and 2. catch up to a piranha after a turbo/barrelroll combo??? Anyone else noticed this?

Drakkenmensch
10th September 2005, 01:08 PM
Are you careful to hit ALL the speed pads, and not hit any walls? Did you also consider that when running over weapon pads, turbos are common as dirt and Triakis may be using a lot of these? There's also not a lot of difference between the stats of Triakis and and Piranha, the only significant difference is that Piranha has a bit more speed.

bakkufu
10th September 2005, 01:09 PM
what I want to know is how I can boost start into first, hit every speed pad, not hit anything at all, get first to the weapon grids and still be 8th again by the 4th corner, with weapons going off everywhere lol

Ive actually seen a ship absorb a weapon, then boost without going over a weapon pad.

Jittery-Joe
10th September 2005, 01:10 PM
There's also not a lot of difference between the stats of Triakis and and Piranha, the only significant difference is that Piranha has a bit more speed.

Speed being the optimum word there...

eLhabib
10th September 2005, 04:28 PM
speed is not always the only important thing, seeing as you can win with a feisar or AG-5Y5, too.

Drakkenmensch
10th September 2005, 04:51 PM
Ultimately, it's the pilot who makes the performance, not the craft. They are ways to get around any perceived weakness.

Seek100
10th September 2005, 06:23 PM
Speed is the operative word, not optimum, optimum means best. Also Triakis is stat wise the equivalent of the old Qireж craft from w'o" 1 through 3.

The issue you describe is that the computer 'randomly' picks one team to be in pole position at the start of each race in Single Race and in Tournament they are lined up according to their finishing position in the previous race. Say you win Vineta K and Triakis comes 2nd, when you start Modesto, Triakis will be in 1st on the grid because they came first out of all the computer controlled teams. When I say 'random' the computer seems to like 'randomly' picking Triakis or Medievil far more often than the other teams. Though I will admit recently I had a Descension tournament where Van-Über always came 2nd to me every race,that's only happened once to me though as Van-Über can't offer as much competition as the Triakis team.

The thing where they catch up to you by the first corner is the AI craft are made to go much faster than their actual speed for the first lap in order to give the player something to overtake on subsequent laps, it's been in the game since wipE'out" in various forms, in 1 they simply placed the AI craft really far ahead of you, in 2097 and w3o they would go about 200% of their top speed for a while and in pure they get continuous turbo boosts for the 1st lap - that's why they appear to boost without going over anything.

bakkufu
10th September 2005, 06:46 PM
The extra speed is annoying because whereas on 2097 you can stay ahead of them, on Pure you just get battered out of the way, reducing shields, pushing you into the sides and really messing up your lap.

Also has anyone else noticed that other ships can shrug off weapons fire whereas player controlled ships end up in the wall with no thrust?

Drakkenmensch
10th September 2005, 06:48 PM
I've learned that in a straight line, weapon fire CAN be shrugged off just as long as you manage to use sideshifting to avoid slamming into walls. When you hit the computer racers in curves, they'll hit the walls and come to a brutal halt like anyone else.

bakkufu
10th September 2005, 06:52 PM
hmm I have noticed that on a striaight I'm not into the walls, but ships don't seem to lose as much thrust when then get hit as I do.

Being in AG Systems with max thrust, if two ships are hit at the same time, I should be accellerating better to top speed and gaining, but it just doesnt feel like this is happening in pure.

It just feels wierd, might be just me but I thought I'd mention it.

Jittery-Joe
11th September 2005, 11:30 AM
Speed is the operative word, not optimum, optimum means best.
er... How d'you know I didn't mean what I said?

Seek100
11th September 2005, 02:57 PM
Because what you said wouldn't make much sense the way you said it.

Jittery-Joe
11th September 2005, 03:02 PM
yeah, it's just my inept grasp of English... :(
my point still stands though

Cypher
12th September 2005, 07:04 PM
I have noticed that Triakis has a knack of passing me just at the last second of the final lap, leaving me bitterly dissapointed with only a Silver medal.

I wouldn't mind, but it seems to always be Triakis, which I think may have been JJ's original point

Rapier Racer
12th September 2005, 08:32 PM
Triakis tried that on with me tonight, it was right behind me, last lap, finishing line in sight and I heard the turbo noise but ah ha ha because I dropped a bomb and let em have it! Down with Triakis

Qirex did the same thing on that circuit with the big hole in it, can't remember it's name, they boosted right over my head and across the finish line :evil:

Drakkenmensch
12th September 2005, 08:50 PM
That would be Sinucit :) The last jump leading to the finish line is the number one place for last second reversals powered by turbo boosts.

G0rT
12th September 2005, 09:58 PM
for me the ai ship that seems to like to screw me over by stealing all the gold medals :pirate seems to always be tigron. It wins nearly everyrace even the highly technicle couse such as Citta Nuova wich doesn't make much sense to me. I could see AG always winning that race, but not the tigron.

Hellfire_WZ
12th September 2005, 10:00 PM
I share your feelings entirely, but as a Triakis pilot myself my hatred is vented towards the Medievil team. At least they're easier to wreck. :wink:

G0rT
12th September 2005, 10:06 PM
ya the medievil sure is fun to nail with a plasma, espescially if it is winning. I ussually save a plasma for a little while to see if I hunt down the batmobile :guns