PDA

View Full Version : Now I remember why I hate Autopilots...

Jittery-Joe
10th September 2005, 10:50 AM
In 3, whenever I switched an Autopilot on, it had the habit of taking my straight up another craft's backside just when it let rip with some mines. This usually led to a premeture demise, which annoyed me wholesale. In fusion, the autopilot let you ineterfere a bit, so I quickly forgot my gripes.
Now when pure came along, the Autopilot, which I thought would be similar to Fusions's, decided to do exactly the same as 3's. It may only be on for four seconds, but that's enough to get you blown out of the sky by anyone. So that's why I won't be using autopilots anymore.

Wow, I've just found Fusion's one advantage over the others in the series :D

eLhabib
10th September 2005, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't say that purE's autopilot is worse than fusion's, at least it doesn't slow down automatically. You just have to know when to use it and when not, that's all. There are some parts of tracks in purE I even keep the autopilot for because it manages them better than even the best pilot ever could.

Dogg Thang
10th September 2005, 11:49 AM
Ehhh...but Fusion's autopilot didn't work at all. It put a drunk monkey in control of your craft for several seconds...

eLhabib
10th September 2005, 11:56 AM
well, for some pilots that's an improvement! :wink:

bakkufu
10th September 2005, 12:30 PM
Ehhh...but Fusion's autopilot didn't work at all. It put a drunk monkey in control of your craft for several seconds...

Hey if a monkey can make it into space and open the beer in the first place, thats an insult to the monkey and his drinking habits lol

I'd liken the autopilot to more of a random decision maker lol

Drakkenmensch
10th September 2005, 12:33 PM
There's a few spots where the autopilot is a wondrous help, especially in higher speed classes:

Sebenco Peak: Just before the quick serie of chicanes halfway through the track

Karbonis: The last chicanes just before the finish line

Blue Ridge: Just before the soft left turn leading to the last hard right turn leading to the finish line

anywhere else, using the autopilot is CAVEAT EMPTOR. It's happened too often that I turned on the AP and heard a whisper that sounded suspiciously like "sucker!", and there even was a time where I was on a straight line with a few yards left for the finish line and turned on the AP just for fun, and it decided to take me all the way from the left side of the lane to slam me into the right wall.

Jittery-Joe
10th September 2005, 12:37 PM
well, for some pilots that's an improvement! :wink:

:? What are you implying?

eLhabib
10th September 2005, 12:46 PM
I was generalising, no personal offense to you 8)

@drak: there's more spots than those you listed. It would take me a while to think of all of them, but here are some:

citta nuova - just as you come out of the last tunnel of the corkscrew

manortop - at the succesive 90° jumps

odessa keys - in the tunnel before the turn leading into the narrow section

ubermall - on the second long-arched outside left, before the last chicane

btw, if you kick in the autopilot a little later than you implied on blueridge, means AT THE END of that medium left turn, it will even take the first two chicanes after the finish line for you (on rapier and phantom that is)

Drakkenmensch
10th September 2005, 12:51 PM
I usually kick in my AP sooner rather than later on the BR turn, I've had some bad experiences of the AP disengaging in the middle of the chicane and plowing me headfirst into the left wall of the right turn portion of it.

As for Manor Top, same thing. It's happened a few times that it would quit a second before the last 90 degree turn, so I'd be extra careful about the timing of that one, though on Phantom and Rapier, you'd have better chances of making it through the last turn before it disengages.

Lance
10th September 2005, 01:57 PM
a second thread on the same subject both started by the same person? JJ, you seem to be obses... um... highly interested in this subject. please avoid duplication of topics. even though these threads are in different sections on different games, the basic subject, your reason for objecting to Wipeout auto-pilots, is identical; only the minor details of the racetracks differ. you have even posted this very same day about the Pure autopilot in the other thread you started in the Wipeout 3 section, thus there was no reason to start yet another thread. i'm deleting that post, but i'm leaving both threads in existence since so many people have already posted here. but duplication is bad practice because it splits discussion of a topic and ruins the flow of the rationale of responses.

Jittery-Joe
10th September 2005, 01:59 PM
Sorry, I'd forgotton about the other one untill a small time ago, cause it was a very long time ago. If you wan't to lock/delete one, I won't complain.
Actually I was going to post a link to this thread, but I... er... forgot.

edit by Lance: needless quotation removed

Lance
10th September 2005, 02:10 PM
you have also forgotten about the 'do not quote the entire post that was right ahead of your own' rule. please read the WipeoutZone guidelines again
i am removing that quote.

i'm not locking either one. the other was a legitimate topic, and this one has gone too far already. it would f things up if i were to lock or delete either thread.

mclarensmps
10th September 2005, 10:08 PM
i generally tend to use AP in places where i have to make a really really sharp turn really fast, and then make the ship pull out without hitting the wall, the second last corner of sebenco peak is a good example of this (The narrow left hander inside the tunnel).

Another example would be the left hander before the chicane and jump in sincuit

Rapier Racer
10th September 2005, 10:23 PM
I'm useless at using the Autopilots on Pure, they don’t save you from ploughing into a wall the way they used to in WO 3 e.g. utilising it at the last second and watching it magically fly your ship through the wall, so I tend not to use them, don’t trust the computer anyway *suspicious eyes dart back and fourth*