PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout XL on PC asks for CD -- FIXED

csmike
7th September 2005, 12:31 AM
I just bought Wipeout XL for my PC from ebay for like $1, so I'm pretty stoked! Anyway, I just tried to install it on my PC running WinXP (Yes, I saw the previous thread where everyone berated the poor guy to get a PSX and play on there, and yes, I also have a PSX I play on, but I want to play on my PC too!!!). I got it installed under Windows 95 compatibility mode, and when I try to play it, it pops up the CD Validator alert box and tells me to insert the Wipeout XL game disc in my CD drive. Well, it's in there and the PC doesn't even try to hit it. And, this is a new computer, no problems with the computer or the drive or anything like that; everything else works just fine. So, is there a no-cd patch floating around somewhere, or does anyone know what I can do to get around this problem?

Thanks!!!

csmike
8th September 2005, 05:33 PM
Well, I figured it out, if anyone's interested.

When you insert the cd, the comp launches the game, but then the game asks for the cd to be inserted, so the comp sees it and autoruns it just fine, but the game somehow can't see the cd drive. Kinda weird. Anyway... So I made an image of the cd and mounted it using Nero's ImageDrive (but I'd imagine something like Daemon Tools would work just fine too) and the game recognized it from that no problem and started right up.

There you have it. Now I'm off to fix the problem of it running WAAAAYYY too fast on my hyperthreaded P4 3GHz machine... ;)

Lance
8th September 2005, 09:24 PM
thanks for the solution.

btw, you might want to acquire a Pentium 166 MHz machine to run it, since it's from the same era as the game. i got one for free recently. they are not exactly in high demand; people throw the things away