PDA

View Full Version : pick your announcer

kaiotheforsaken
30th August 2005, 05:46 AM
i was kinda hoping that as the download packs came out we might see the return of the announcers from previous wipeout games. theres something about the XL announcer i just think is so awesome and i'd love to have it on pure. anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Hybrid Divide
30th August 2005, 06:14 AM
I agree.

Never in WipEout history had the words "CONTENDER ELEMINATED!" sounded so cold and sinister. Great stuff! :D

bakkufu
30th August 2005, 07:46 AM
I'm liking this idea actually, customisable ones would be aweseome fun.

Thruster2097
30th August 2005, 08:57 AM
The amiga1200 voice from 2097/XL is by far the best on-board guardian voice ever! If I could have it on my satnav, I would!

Guys, we have got to leave the psp version with some dignity and individuality or else they might aswell have called it WipEout: Best Of, which may sound like a supergreat idea but would only really appeal to hardcore fans.
We may only get one PSP version, so lets make the most of it!
The new lady guardian voice suits the game well, she done a great job.

Sven
30th August 2005, 04:02 PM
The Wipeout 3 voice has some cool weapons callouts.

*is listening to Xpander*

Kansas
30th August 2005, 05:21 PM
WipeOut XL has the best voice... that thing is cold, sinister, sans remorse.

WipeOut 3 has a really cool voice. That thing lets you know EVERYTHING that's going to happen seconds before it does.

WipeOut: Pure has a nice, soothing voice, but it's kinda late on calling the stuff that's scary... Hearing, "Warning! Warning! Warning!" in succession really stands my hair on end because I have no idea what's going to happen.

WipeOut Fusion is pure rubbish. I could barely hear the voice over the music or the weird sound effects.

kaiotheforsaken
30th August 2005, 05:27 PM
exactly XLs voice is just so sinister and cold and i love it. just with the different skins and customisable soundtrack to suit your style, it'd be nice to have the announcer the same. it may not be wipeout: best of, but they ar releasing old favorites with tracks and music and all, so maybe announcer options aren't to far fetched.

Dogg Thang
30th August 2005, 05:48 PM
Well with a Coke sound effects pack apparently on the way, this is not outside the realms of possibility I think. It will be interesting to see how that pack works.

It would be a lovely touch on the classic tracks to have the 2097 voice back.

Mobius
30th August 2005, 05:59 PM
They would proably have "I like to teach the world to sing" as a bonus song... :(

Kansas
30th August 2005, 06:57 PM
exactly XLs voice is just so sinister and cold and i love it. just with the different skins and customisable soundtrack to suit your style, it'd be nice to have the announcer the same. it may not be wipeout: best of, but they ar releasing old favorites with tracks and music and all, so maybe announcer options aren't to far fetched.

I could not imagine that voice in WIpeOut: Pure, however. It worked well for XL because the game is so dark, itself. The dark tunnels and the rain-soaked cityscapes allow that voice fit perfectly.

kaiotheforsaken
30th August 2005, 07:36 PM
i could still see it in pure. theres plenty of tracks that have a dark and brooding feel to them. not to mention that the contenders tend to be fairly brutal and heartless, i think the XL announcer would fit right in. and if they brought back all the announcers you could pick your fav. as said before the xl announcer would fit perfectly in the classic tracks at the very least.

Kansas
30th August 2005, 08:34 PM
The dark voice on the classic tracks would be nice.

By the way, I really like the robotic voice on the Zone tracks. :robot

InvaderF00
30th August 2005, 11:17 PM
Sorry to topic hijack, but inline with the "contender eliminated" I miss the eliminations. I really dug the elimination challenges and don't think I have EVER gotten an opponent down to the levels of them dropping out. Maybe in online play, but unheard of on the regular races.

kaiotheforsaken
30th August 2005, 11:17 PM
yeah, the zone voice would be cool as another choice, speaking of zone, i kinda hope we get a zone skin. man i wish they'd bring the announcers back, the more i think about it, the more i want it.

Sven
30th August 2005, 11:59 PM
Sorry to topic hijack, but inline with the "contender eliminated" I miss the eliminations. I really dug the elimination challenges and don't think I have EVER gotten an opponent down to the levels of them dropping out. Maybe in online play, but unheard of on the regular races.Yeah, I miss the eliminator mode. It would have been really cool to have that as an exclusive multiplayer mode or something.

I think eliminations are about as common in Pure as they would be in XL or 3 if you took out the instant-kill plasmas. Maybe a little less, I haven't done a major analasys. But like, a solid rocket hit and a plasma will kill a medieval I think. And I got a double elimination online once...

just with the different skins and customisable soundtrack to suit your style, it'd be nice to have the announcer the same
That just gave me the best idea. It would be awesome if each skin had a different music and voice set. For example, use Goteki "Ultimate Destruction" 45, and it's the evil sinister voice with super-aggressive music, while the AG-Sys would have the soothing voice and trance-y music. Or you could just associate that with ship choice I guess.

Rouni Kenshin#1
31st August 2005, 02:10 AM
They have a pick a cadey as you announcer for Hot Shots Open Tee, great game but wipeout is better, and they each just give a little variety.

Could you post more about thei elimonaiton mode.

It sounds like fun. :banzai

kaiotheforsaken
31st August 2005, 03:03 AM
they have all the announcers plus new ones in unreal tournament 2k4 which is kinda where the idea sprung up (even though i haven't played in quite some time) just going back and playing the older wipeouts made me wish the announcers had carried over. i also like the idea of the skin you choose relating to the music and announcer you get, really cool idea, or perhaps which ship you raced with, like each craft had its own onboard AI.

yawnstretch
4th September 2005, 10:03 AM
I too loved the 2097 announcer.

/inhales whilst speaking from the depths of his throat

"Three, Two, One, Go!"

That idea about having different AI for each ship is really cool though.

brokenvoice
4th September 2005, 04:12 PM
I loved the Slavic/Russian accent of WO3. Something about the way she said "Rocket." And her "Contender Eliminated" was pretty chilling too.

Mobius
4th September 2005, 05:40 PM
I always thought she sounded like Tintin out of Thunderbirds tv series! :oops:

Drakkenmensch
4th September 2005, 10:55 PM
I also love the WO3 announcer's way of saying "WAH-NING." Very dignified yet completely unnerving :)

Sumimasen
5th September 2005, 08:05 AM
My fave has to be the 2097 voice. Kinda 'Speak and Spell's evil twin! :twisted:

kaiotheforsaken
5th September 2005, 08:22 AM
2097/xl was my fav announcer, but 3's announcer had chilling qualities of her own, and i'll be hearing her alot more now that i have acquired a copy of WO3:SE

Childlikecake
5th September 2005, 09:51 AM
My fave has to be the 2097 voice. Kinda 'Speak and Spell's evil twin! Hahaha, quote of the forum, easily. Yeah my fav was 2097 (I'm in NZ so none of this 'XL' business) closely followed by Wip3out. She was bloody cool 'ROCKET' never sounded so cool. The 2097 'Contender Eliminated' is the freaking coolest robot quote ever. And I've seen Short Circuit! The Pure voice is WAY too late on the calls though, anyone else noticed that?

kaiotheforsaken
5th September 2005, 10:15 AM
2097s voice is just so cold and i love that. everyone is blowing the **** out of each other (or you), the nature of the sport seems to be one of cold calculated moves to win by any means. especially in pure where just today i was plasma'd then quaked within a matter of seconds. i really wish we could have this as an update, the more it think about it, the more the idea just fits.

Megatron42
8th September 2005, 10:08 PM
WOXL voice FTW.