PDA

View Full Version : Question about languages

Mr Pointment
27th August 2005, 12:30 PM
Pardon my stupidity on this question.

I've recently moved from NZ to Germany. My ability to speak the language here is currently poor, but it will get better.

My parents are currently on a European vacation, and will be coming to visit me in 2 weeks, so fortunately, that means I can get a PSP from Duty Free. It will probably come from the airport in Ireland.

Once I get a PSP, the first game I will get is going to be Wipeout Pure, which will most likely be purchased in Germany. As I am yet to purchase or play any German games, I'm curious as to what the chances are that I will not be able to understand any of the text in the game... or do they usually have an option to choose between the languages?

Thanks!

Mobius
27th August 2005, 12:39 PM
You should be able to change the language as far as i know. On both the game and the psp.

Oh BTW welcome!

Ally Graham
27th August 2005, 12:42 PM
I second that.
My PSP is from Japan, and it had the option of English, and now with the updates, I could choose from around 15 languages.

Mr Pointment
27th August 2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks! I've been lurking for god-knows-how-long....
/gawks at joined date

I guess I've just never had anything worthwhile to say or ask :)

Reading what everyone has been saying about Pure has got me peaking to get my hands on it :)

Oh, and thats good news about the language. I guess it's hard to tell as no one really has a Euro PSP or Pure yet!

Ally Graham
27th August 2005, 12:56 PM
Well, the Euro PSP and games will have to have all the main European languages.
Also, what I find funny, is if Sony don't want people inporting PSPs, why add ALL the languages to ALL the PSPs?

Anyway, being who we are, English appears as an option for anything, wherever you go in the world.

Quote of one American guy, talking after his vist to England;
"They speak English kinda funny over there!"

Drakkenmensch
27th August 2005, 01:12 PM
Becuase they're lazy? It's far less work to have all the languages in ONE OS than have multiple OSes, not to mention far LESS PSPs to replace because people WOULD try to mix and match incompatible OS updates.

Mr Pointment
27th August 2005, 01:55 PM
The odd thing is sometimes back in NZ, we would get games before Europe would... The games are the same compatible PAL version, however as only English is needed for the Australasian territory, they didn't need to spend time translating it.

This was the case with Fusion, if I recall correctly.

Ally Graham
27th August 2005, 01:58 PM
At one point, Sony said that they were delaying launch of the PSP becuase it is easyer and cheaper to supply games to Japan and US for a while.
Then they put money forward for translation of games for the Euro release.

Sony came up with a number of reasons for the delay, but what it came down to is that they just did not have the units.

Rouni Kenshin#1
27th August 2005, 02:17 PM
Wie heisse du?

I'm in german 101

so yeah you can change the language on your psp but will that affect the game? because there is no language optiion on the game menu.

Sausehuhn
27th August 2005, 02:26 PM
I'm in german 101

Was meinst du mit 101?
__

What do you mean with 101?

Rouni Kenshin#1
27th August 2005, 02:29 PM
It is a class at school i have to take at least 3 forign languages and i've decided to take german.

so, you start in german 101 for beginers who have no idea what there doing. and then you move on to 102, 103, and for those who actully like the language it can go up to 105.

Sausehuhn
27th August 2005, 02:40 PM
aaah, I understand!! Cool!

Just a correction, don't wanna be a "know-it-all":
it's "Wie heißt du?" :)

Lance
27th August 2005, 02:44 PM
i don't see one of those little German s's on my keyboard. :O :D ;)

Sausehuhn
27th August 2005, 02:48 PM
http://web310.server2.dce4u.de/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_lol2.gif

ok, ok, then write "ss" instead of "ß" - it's nearly the same. You speak it differently, but I'm sure every German will understand it :)

Mr Pointment
27th August 2005, 06:24 PM
Ants, und du?

The ß is used when the vowel sound preceding it is long, apparently, but yeah, both are pretty much interchangeable from what I've worked out. I'll be better in one month... my german crash course starts on Monday.

Sausehuhn
27th August 2005, 06:33 PM
ich heiße Max.
na dann, viel Glück bei deinem Kurs!! :)
__

I'm Max.
so, good luck at your course!! :)