PDA

View Full Version : I really, really hate Cita Nuova...

Kansas
26th August 2005, 05:45 AM
...with a passion so deep.

:brickwall

Drakkenmensch
26th August 2005, 08:43 AM
Maybe that's why you have trouble with it?

I noticed that you can't really start to improve on a track as long as you have negative feelings for it. That's why on Kai I'm always so overly dramatic just before we enter a Classic tournament and...

(sound of thunder)

THE HORROR OF KARBONIS!!!
Oh, the horror! THE HORROR!!!

I really like Classic, it's all just messing with your heads :)

Sumimasen
26th August 2005, 10:24 AM
There's a lot of truth in that, Drak - You are indeed a wise man...

I too hated Citta Nuova. Then I started racing it in freeplay and time trial. Eventually I started to actually love the place! Managed to do the Rapier TT gold with 16 seconds remaining, but only after I got over my hatred of the track.

As a track, it is lovely, and once you see the beauty of it, your races will improve.

I still struggle in normal races here, but don't dread them anymore. That does wonders for your actual performance, and then overall finishing position, I can tell you! :D

lunar
26th August 2005, 10:31 AM
I need a lot of sideshift to get round it well - on the corkscrew and on the 180. I thought I had it sorted until I raced Wowowa - his flash lap times on citta nuova were about the same as the rapier times of everyone else I`ve raced, and myself.

Space Cowboy
26th August 2005, 10:50 AM
Its the only gold on Phantom I havent got, and im perfectly happy to leave it that way.
Although I dont despise CN as much as I did when I first started playing Pure, it is by no means a lovable track IMHO.

randomperson1
26th August 2005, 10:58 AM
:x i agree. citta nouva really is a pain in the backside.
the only reason for karbonis being hard is the fact that it's easily the shortest track in the game.

sinucit= 6.4km
karbonis= 3.6km

Drakkenmensch
26th August 2005, 12:12 PM
I used to have the same dread of Blue Ridge, more specifically of the last chican eat the end - that one is truly wicked, and negociating it with a Piranha is hell until you figure the right timing of releasing the gas pedal and sideshifting. Now I laugh in the face of the AI racers and other players - minus the few guys who smoke me everytime we race.

I'm looking at you, eLhabib!

fusionfrenzy
26th August 2005, 02:10 PM
Cittia Nuova, argh. Though all wipeouts have had one hardcore track-Manor Top, Vohl Square to name a couple, I especially hate nouva. It's the only one I havent got gold in on Rapier (but I have in phantom- I find phantom easier). And it doesnt help when I get my controls reversed by a medievil behind me, then the game crashes next race. Bye bye rapier descension :cry: .

Space Cowboy
26th August 2005, 02:18 PM
The anoying thing is that the the higher speed classes are too fast for the track layout. There are too many places to come flying off because of sharp corners or steep inclines/declines. Even the autopilot has trouble on CN.

Drakkenmensch
26th August 2005, 02:57 PM
Then it might be time to reconsider the "pedal to the metal" approach :)

Kansas
26th August 2005, 05:12 PM
I was on a tournament race in Cita Nuova yesterday and this happened:

I was in second place behind Feisar. We are on one of the last turns and I got rockets. I was so ready to blow that Feisar out of the track. I fired... direct hit! BOOOOM! The Feisar loses control, smashing into the wall. I pass him up in my trusty Assegai ship, turn the corner... only to find a bomb waiting for me... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! My ship staggers and Feisar goes flying by for the win.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Sumimasen
26th August 2005, 06:33 PM
TBH that sort of stuff happens in W'O"P randomly on any track, not just Citta Nuova - especially on the higher speeds.

I've even had those sort of occurences on tracks that I can usually 'ace' (Modesto Heights, Chengou Project etc.), so don't let it get you down.

I have to say that I'm not too sure where all my Citta Nuova love has come from... Must be getting mellow in my old age... 8O

Kansas
26th August 2005, 06:55 PM
Sol 2 is my best track. I do better on that than on any other.

Megatron42
26th August 2005, 06:56 PM
At least on Blue Ridge and Karbonis the autopilot actually does something useful through the chicane. Why'd they have to make Cita Nuova's one a rollercoaster also!?

Drakkenmensch
26th August 2005, 07:20 PM
it doesn't matter if Citta Nuova was removed, in that event the second hardest track would have been the hardest track in its place, and we'd be whining against THAT track instead! For all we know, there may have been an even harder, more insane track that was rejected during the design phase, thus promoting CN from second hardest to first in line!

Dogg Thang
26th August 2005, 07:34 PM
Yes but, as has been said many times before (and yet here I go again) the main problem with Citta Nuova is how the AI reacts to it - not the track itself. I am one of the anti-Citta Nuova and yet I wouldn't want an easier track. What I would have liked is actually a more challenging track (or just as challenging) but one with AI that doesn't come from Battlefront.

But, yeah, given all of the discussion I'd say that we'll all look back to Citta Nuova and think of it at the very least as an interesting experience.

Kansas
26th August 2005, 07:54 PM
Dogg, you bring up a point I overlooked regarding the AI.

That damn AI can do no wrong on that track. I have seen ships run into bombs and tossed completely off the track, only to shoot by a few seconds later... WTF?!!?!?!?!??!?!
:bombhead

Mobius
26th August 2005, 07:58 PM
I saw the map of it and thought, "Hey, this really could be the next manortop"

But then, i saw a video of someone playing it and they looked absaloutely awful on the chicane. So out came a mixed reaction of "Oh no! A dodgy track!" and "HAH FOO', YOU'RE PANTS!!!" :mr-t

But then again i was one who like Stanza Inter so it doesnt look all to bad for me... :)

Kansas
26th August 2005, 08:44 PM
Cita Nuova is the only track I've ever hated on any of the WipeOut games.

Sumimasen
26th August 2005, 08:49 PM
Fact is, most people hate Citta Nuova. I'm in the minority when I say I don't (although it has it's moments where AI ships are involved).

I think we all agree on this track to some degree.

Thing is, hasn't this been discussed SOOOO many times before?

As far as standard race tracks are concerned (ie. not Zone) it was just one of 12 in the beginning. It will soon be just one track in 24! For all it's balancing issues and non-suitability for higher speeds (which I agree with, again, to a degree) it IS a well conceived circuit.

Don't want to come over all hippie-like, but can't we talk about how GOOD circuits are for a change? There has been some STUNNING design work that has one into Pure, and it seems kind of a shame to dwell on this one negative...

... but then I have had quite a bit of Guinness tonight, so my ramblings should probably be ignored... :roll:

Lance
26th August 2005, 09:02 PM
au contraire, that's when the truth comes out. ''in vino, veritas.''
or in Guinness, in this case :)

fusionfrenzy
26th August 2005, 09:16 PM
But then again i was one who like Stanza Inter

Hey Stanza Inter was a great track, right there in 3rd behind P-mar Project and Manor top. :lol: .

Megatron42
26th August 2005, 09:21 PM
But ... but complaining on forums is like walking on a sidewalk. It's what they're THERE for! :lol:

Rouni Kenshin#1
27th August 2005, 02:37 PM
with AI that doesn't come from Battlefront.

There was a pretty long thead on this a while back we wen't at it at every possible angle.

and for some reason does Rapier seem harder even if phantom is faster?
i find it that way.

MissileStrike
13th September 2005, 08:01 AM
/\/\/\ Nope. I would definetly not say that. Citta Nuova is like a big bully. Why cant it just say "Hey Strike, look, I changed the circuit" Whats wrong with it? With that attitude it will NEVER be loved. Not like Sol 2. aaaahhhhhhhhh.......

eLhabib
13th September 2005, 11:05 AM
once you are able to maneuver citta nuova without trouble, you will learn to appreciate its beauty.

Drakkenmensch
13th September 2005, 02:51 PM
Agreed - it's a true test of a pilot's maneuvering skill, and it's possible for ANY craft to tackle it succesfully - EVEN PIRANHA!

Jambo
16th September 2005, 05:13 PM
I hate this track as well....

But I think its because I am crap, but hey on with the practice

Kansas
16th September 2005, 05:53 PM
I finally beat this f*ck*ng track on Rapier mode. I did really well for the first three laps and was in first to start the last one... then I crashed on the bend right before the end, and I came to a halt... I was expecting to see Triakis or Medieval fly by, but I was all alone... :?:

My Assegai powered up and made it across the finish line... As the announcer declared me the winner of the gold medal I saw a shot behind my ship, and I was still all alone... :?:

eLhabib
16th September 2005, 07:01 PM
well they probably felt bad for you and decided to go for some coffee instead of pissing you off once again :D

Kansas
17th September 2005, 12:03 AM
heh... seems they got my special delivery from the Stone Brewery... :wink:

Drakkenmensch
17th September 2005, 03:10 AM
A large drumcan full of Arrogant Bastard Ale? ;)

Kansas
17th September 2005, 09:13 AM
My reputation precedes me... 8O

Drakkenmensch
17th September 2005, 01:26 PM
*grins* It does seem to be your drink of choice on this forum! :wink:

Alphonse75020
21st September 2005, 09:44 AM
I thought I was a great wipeout player, but I have to admit it, I can't beat it in Rapier.
I tried for 1 hour with medievil, feisar, qirex, assegai and harimau, but I never get better than bronze. I think it's more difficult than Silverstream in Rapier with the Qirex in the original WipEout.
I HATE Citta Nuova!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

username
21st September 2005, 10:07 AM
i cant gt gold on citta nova in rapier and phantom either. its like the game chooses to be super difficult. ah well, at least it isnt too easy like in wip3out eh!

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 11:35 AM
I was doing some time trials this morning and beat Citta Nuova in Rapier on my first try.

Gold with Piranha, with five seconds to spare :D

eLhabib
21st September 2005, 12:08 PM
to everyone who has difficulties beating 'the citta': it's just a matter of ROUTINE, really. leave it be, move on to other races, play more. you will get A LOT better without even noticing it. come back to the citta in a few weeks, and it will be easy as pie, because you will have ROUTINE.

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 12:20 PM
That's really good advice, I agree with that. I've had tremendous trouble doing Exostra Run time trial in Flash and needed to drop it because it was just getting frustrating, did some other races and tournaments, and a few days later beat it in a few tries. Whenever I encounter a really BAD difficulty like that, bashing my head against the wall becomes counterproductive.

There's nothing wrong with perseverance - you just have to know when to give up when futility rears its ugly head, though.

Kansas
21st September 2005, 04:38 PM
to everyone who has difficulties beating 'the citta': it's just a matter of ROUTINE, really. leave it be, move on to other races, play more. you will get A LOT better without even noticing it. come back to the citta in a few weeks, and it will be easy as pie, because you will have ROUTINE.

I don't know, man.

I spent three consecutive days trying to beat that damned track.

A few times I found myself in first place only to get blown up or smashed up before I won... It took a lot of dedication to get used to the f'n track. I mean, damn. It's hard enough to race on the damn thing with all those chicanes, then you have to deal with those a**holes from Triakis and Miedeval.

When I did beat it, I don't remember a feeling of accomplishment as much as a feeling of relief.

Jittery-Joe
21st September 2005, 04:41 PM
I've never worked out why, but I'm always better better on Citta Nouva when I'm playing a tournament, regardless of team or speed class. Wierd, no?

lunar
21st September 2005, 05:24 PM
Apart from El`s great advice, I think one of the key things is to learn to use sideshift for the 180. Identify a braking point, as you would in an F1 game, so that you spin round quickly onto the double speed pad as tight to the inside wall as possible. If you don`t get this absolutely right all your good work on the rest of the lap beforehand will be undone as the AI catch up and fry you in the corkscrew. But there are so many key things on Citta Nuova! For those who missed it a lot of tips are in here:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2215

Jambo
22nd September 2005, 01:34 PM
The 180 is great fun :P !

Get her sideways, I agree with el totally for the last week i have shunned citta, and came back to it today, its good fun and have beat it on rapier, so on with phantom, and keeping up the flow and rhythm!

:wink:

stin
12th October 2005, 01:11 PM
I`m not saying I hate this track but now I`m actually starting to enjoyed it cos once I already won the gold medal and I was reclundantly to let go cos I was learning alot on this track so should you guys!

This game is similar between Wipeout and 2097, would you agree?

stevie :)

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 02:13 PM
If you don`t get this absolutely right all your good work on the rest of the lap beforehand will be undone as the AI catch up and fry you in the corkscrew.

Eh. :wink: I find that the AI is really not up to it in the corkscrew, and that's where I gain my lead in Citta Nuova. And bear in mind I pilot a Piranha!

element42
12th October 2005, 02:17 PM
I find that the AI is really not up to it in the corkscrewIndeed; I've lost count of the number of times I've activated an autopilot in there and have it lose the race for me (once, it flew me off the track twice then ran me into the billboard :x ). I still haven't got over the 2097 emergency-use autopilot reaction...

Mobius
12th October 2005, 02:49 PM
The 180 is a bit of a evil thing, especially if you turn too early. But i managed to get gold first time on it in phantom class, it is all about using the pitch controls, they do make a difference on the corkscrew section.

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 03:10 PM
The trick, I find, is to hug the left rail on the way to the hairpin and release the gas about a second before you overtake the right rail's end, making a hard right turn with the gas off entirely, turning it back on just as you're about to hit the double speed pad. Sideshift to the right right after you hit them and you'll be fine.

You may need to release the gas once more or sideshift again during the long right turn in order not to slam the left wall.

lunar
12th October 2005, 04:08 PM
What I found is that to win this race against the AI you have to get the V-turn spot on - as the corkscrew is usually a bear pit of missiles, rockets bombs and carnage if the AI get any chance to shoot you. They`re not too bad to outfly - but you often don`t get the chance if you let them get a sight of you. The AI all go a bit crazy in there though - hitting turbos in the middle of the corkscrew - nutters. :wink: I think the only place on CN where the autopilot might be safe enough and quicker is on the last hairpin.

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 04:10 PM
In my experience, it's indeed the only spot where you can truly benefit from the AP - it never went nuts on me there, ideally you want to hit it JUST before the double weapon pad for the off chance of grabbing a turbo that you can activate WHILE the AP is on - now that's an unbeatable combo!

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 04:11 PM
I think the only place on CN where the autopilot might be safe enough and quicker is on the last hairpin.
that, and the chicane leading to the V-turn.

Mobius
14th October 2005, 05:04 PM
You know what, im too scared to click that link for some reason...

Edit: Yay, that link has gone...how shall i say it, up in smoke? :wink:

eLhabib
14th October 2005, 05:29 PM
me too :D - skunk, please explain your post.

lunar
14th October 2005, 05:31 PM
He`s just a spammer - selling stuff you youngsters have no need of. Don`t bother clicking.

Jittery-Joe
14th October 2005, 05:41 PM
Heading to a swift banning, methinks...

Sausehuhn
14th October 2005, 05:57 PM
He`s just a spammer
yep, but a really bad one. If he would be intelligent enough, he had found better ways to let us click the link!