PDA

View Full Version : Any RPG fans here?

Animagic
25th August 2005, 05:37 PM
I cannot wait for this game!!!

DRAGON QUEST VIII
Watch the Trailer here. (http://www.slimeknights.com/slimeknights/index.html?fuseaction=tools.invlink&u=vagabondarts &linkID=2)

http://www.longhairproductions.com/vagabondarts/images/ss-011.jpg

Dragon Warrior 1 was my first RPG ever, way back when they gave it away with
a subscription to Nintendo Power, in the NES days...

Did you know that the game is so popular in Japan that they had to make
a law to only sell it on the weekends because of the vast majority of japans populace
that played hooky from work and school just to play dragon quest on release day?

Anyway, this is the first time that the game is totally in 3D and it looks nothing short of incredible.
It's traditionally lighthearted fare and I expect that tone to continue with this game...
but if any of you like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, or similar RPG's,
then this might be your next favorite RPG series. (it's mine, tied with Digital Devil Saga).

- \/ \/ \/ - informative links - \/ \/ \/ -
IGN's movie clips and images of Dragon Quest 8 (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/496/496303.html)

Dragon's Den's DQ8 page (http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw8psx/)

Slime Knights... the official DragonQuest fansite (http://www.slimeknights.com/slimeknights/index.html?fuseaction=tools.invlink&u=vagabondarts &linkID=2)

click here for the japanese box art (http://www.square-haven.com/games/ps2/dq8/index/dq8-jp.jpg)

Hellfire_WZ
25th August 2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on that one. I'm more into the PS1 RPG era, my favourites being Suikoden 1 and 2 and the original Grandia. I also had the pleasure of playing Chrono Trigger on the SNES as well which was an absolute masterpiece.

Space Cowboy
25th August 2005, 06:28 PM
I was just posting about RPG's in another thread, weird :)
Anyways I love D&D games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series and Neverwinter Nights, I also love stuff like Daggerfall and Morrowind).

Task
25th August 2005, 07:07 PM
The only RPGs that I've found to be worth playing are:

Sinjid - Because it's an online RPG. Classic style Flash RPG that you can play in your browser in a couple hours, how cool is that? Slow day at work? Play Sinjid!

Xenogears - Because I can enjoy an 80-hour anime featuring giant robots. And because fights are interactive.

Koudelka - Because it's such a non-classical RPG (no leveling, no world travel, no stores, the people that make it left Squaresoft because they hated the way Square made RPGs, just as I do) with fantastic design (it was likely the first true RPG "horror" game), environment, story, and characters. And the fighting was interactive.

The sequels to Koudelka (Shadow Hearts) are pretty cool as well, mostly because I think they've really perfected the whole "interactive battle" thing.

I tried out Chrono Trigger, but I grew pretty sick of the whole "I'm a classic RPG!" thing about halfway through.

So if anyone knows any RPGs that I might like (interactive battles and giant robots are big plusses, obviously) be sure to mention them. I like the genre, I just hate 99% of all the titles in the genre. 8 )

infoxicated
25th August 2005, 08:02 PM
I really want to play WoW, but I hate games that have no offline mode/wont allow me to play offline, like Wow and Halflife. Plus there's something iffy about paying for both the software and the subscription fee - if I can only play it online it should be free, since I can only play it if I pay for it.

Starcraft sounds like it might be more my bag of tricks, actually - I might make an exception when the next version of that arrives.

Hellfire_WZ
25th August 2005, 09:08 PM
That's what has actually put me off of a lot of MMORPGs. I'm looking at EVE Online as the only one I'd be willing to pay subscription for (sort of space sim meets RPG), if anything because I'm a real sucker for good space sims like X2.

Apparently Guild Wars is a one-time payment MMORPG, you might want to give that one a go.

Rouni Kenshin#1
25th August 2005, 10:29 PM
I play Final Fantasy and the rest are just not the same.
not to say there bad but i just like the FF setup

Space Cowboy
26th August 2005, 10:34 AM
HellFire: EVE online is great, very hypnotic. Beautiful visuals and music.
Im always a sucker for good space sims too, I recently sent an email to Frontier developments, asking about the progress of Elite IV, and guess what?, I actually got a reply. They are still working on the project for next gen consoles and PC :) Cant wait!
Also X3 looks really cool so Im going to have to get that!

jospicy
26th August 2005, 10:39 AM
well does anyone remember the original diskworld RPG's for the amiga :P i have a stack of games including "the Legend Of Zelda" for the SNES which was then ported to GB i have "A Link To The Past" and have several FF games plus i recently picked up an RPG by SCEE called "Legend Of Dragoon" which is pretty good i could go on cos i have things like the original LOTR games and many other old DOS releases :P but hey that is just a kid who was given too many games cos his mates didn't like them :P

element42
26th August 2005, 11:52 AM
I recently sent an email to Frontier developments, asking about the progress of Elite IV, and guess what?, I actually got a reply. They are still working on the project for next gen consoles and PC :) an online elite for the ps3 would definitely be a very exciting prospect, now that would be a game I could really get sucked into in a life-destroying way - surely the true mark of a great RPG?

infoxicated
26th August 2005, 04:51 PM
If the next Elite has the graphical quality of Frontier's other "gems"; Dogs Life and Wallace & Grommit... boy, it should have all the splendour of the Amiga version. ;)

element42
26th August 2005, 06:15 PM
perhaps they'll go back to wireframe. wouldn't be a bad idea... :)

phantom
27th August 2005, 02:00 PM
well, im not sure if zone of the enders2 counts but its an anime with giant robots and interactive fights (not turn based like ff) with a story co-oinciding with its predecessor. i dont look for much more in a game.

Axel
27th August 2005, 06:44 PM
EVE:online is a brilliant game which I will need to get back into when I get the time. It's so different from other MMORPG's which makes it unique. Oh and I am also big into space sims. What ever happened to the Wing commander and Freespace type of games :(.

Hellfire_WZ
27th August 2005, 07:48 PM
The ones I like are the ones with a good mix between action and RPG-style interaction. X2 is sort of on the borderline of what I'd happily sit back and play, I recently tried playing Battlecruiser Millennium and got totally lost in the tutorial. I liked Freelancer as well, but the lack of any capital ships was a let-down. My favourite pure-action space series of all time though has to be Colony Wars on the PS1.

Mogaar
27th August 2005, 10:55 PM
Infoxicated,

Guild Wars is a great rpg and there's no monthly fee for it...

Drakkenmensch
28th August 2005, 12:37 AM
Looking for a free MMORPG?

How about a little Lineage 2? For free?

www.l2extreme.com

enjoy ;)

Zero [RG] [HG]
28th August 2005, 03:35 AM
Friends don't let friends play WarCraft...

StarCraft 2?

That'll be a loooooooooooong time...

Drakkenmensch
28th August 2005, 04:07 AM
Dude, They haven't even ANNOUNCED their intentions for Starcraft 2, and look how long Starcraft: Ghost has been in the works... it's been their featured showcase piece at the E3 of 2005... and 2004... and 2003...

Spaceboy Gajo
29th August 2005, 06:36 AM
Will Ghost be a next gen release? If so, on what platforms. I remembered the hype over the first announcement and forgot about it after a time because well, I hadn't heard anything about the game.

As for RPGs, I'm really looking forward to X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse. More of a hack and slash, but that's what I liek and you'll be able to play a ton of characters. Not only that, the PSP is my system at the moment. That's if I get my replacemnt :lol: Seriously, not much RPGs at the moment for it. I suspect that that'll be changed soon.

Spaceboy Gajo

zed omega
4th September 2005, 10:13 PM
I've played (and still love it) Final Fantasy 6,7,8,10; Secret of Mana, Lufia 1 & 2, Breath of Fire 1&2&3 :)

Rouni Kenshin#1
4th September 2005, 10:17 PM
What did you think of FF8?

alot of people hated it compared to FF7 but i actually thought it was better. The draw system put a lot of depth into how the game was played and not just the story.

zed omega
4th September 2005, 11:16 PM
hmm

I think ff7's storyline is more "realistic" & better to understand and it's harder then ff8 to survive the whole game with all gimmicks & specials (I've played it ~130hours to survive the whole game (with the walkthrough book; all chars on lv 99, beaten all "weapon" creatures,etc)

ff8's storyline is in my mind a bit too futuristic & visionary (but that's not bad), the graphic is really good for an rpg like this, nice designed (detailed) in-between-sections etc...
but I think, the fighting system is too easy (charging of magic etc). I've played it ~ 90h to survive with nearly all chars lv 99 & the strongest guardian force on lv 70; beaten all "weapon"'s (ultima, omega, ruby) ...

and yeah. its very difficulty to compare 7 and 8... just play it and create your own opinion :)

(sry for my amateurish english :roll: )