PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Pure for a smoother race

yawnstretch
22nd August 2005, 01:08 AM
Yes - its possible to run the PSP at 333mhz now and WipEout for one looks AMAZING at the higher speed.

Im not saying how this is done - I just want to know people's opinions on the matter.

This is all done on a legitimate UMD of the game.

Sven
22nd August 2005, 02:57 AM
I heard something about overclocking it...But I don't care enough about making Pure a lot smoother to risk destroying my PSP and eliminate any semblance of battery life.

Thruster2097
22nd August 2005, 11:26 AM
that's great and all, but until some haxor figures out how to make wipeout s l o w e r then i'm not interested.

Flash hurts my eyes.

:lol:

eLhabib
22nd August 2005, 11:42 AM
???

Space Cowboy
22nd August 2005, 11:42 AM
Well If it can be done without burning out my PSP then Im all for it. However I'd like to know if Sony are going to activate the feature legitimately in the future?

EDIT: Yawnstretch, have you actually acheived this?, and if you have, is your PSP still in one piece? :)

yawnstretch
22nd August 2005, 11:53 AM
Actually - "overclocking" is probably the wrong word. The PSP has a 333mhz processor which has been restricted to 222mhz to preserve battery life. Im pretty certain there are no ill effects.

Drakkenmensch
22nd August 2005, 11:55 AM
Thruster2097: If you make your PSP run slower, then you will never be able to play linked with people who run at normal speed, will you?

Also, the whole point of Pure is always going faster, faster, FASTER BABY!

If anything above flash is hard on your eyes, there's always Venom and Vector. Choose your poison, dude, and have fun with it! It's your game, you're free to love it any way you like :)

Space Cowboy
22nd August 2005, 12:00 PM
Yawnstretch: I think I'll hold off till someone else tries it ;) Dont want to send my PSP back to Japan.

Mobius
22nd August 2005, 12:20 PM
I know that some games will have the coding to unlock the digital cap for the UMD being used (Such as the psp GT). So mabey there will be a code on the euro version if the rumours are true about the longer lasting bettery.

Adn the rest of the world will get it as a part of the download content perhaps...?

Space Cowboy
22nd August 2005, 12:31 PM
Apparently it does work, I have read that several people have got these games working with 333Mhz: Dead To Rights, Lumines, Wipeout, Coded Arms and Ridge Racer.

yawnstretch
22nd August 2005, 12:35 PM
It actually makes it easier on the eyes - not harder. The framerate is higher so the games appears much smoother and not as jerky. It'd be interesting to hear what the game devs think.

Purist
22nd August 2005, 01:37 PM
Don't even dream about a comment... we all know this refers to 'dodgy' means, just no-one wants to say it.

Sounds FAST though!!!!

Space Cowboy
22nd August 2005, 01:40 PM
Would be interesting to see but I dont think it works with Firmware 2.0 so most people wont be able to do it anyhow.

fusionfrenzy
22nd August 2005, 01:59 PM
I heard about this way back when it was released in Japan. Apparently sony wont release firmware to unlock it until the better battery in development is out (which lasts about twice as long). Cant wait...

Drakkenmensch
22nd August 2005, 02:16 PM
With a doubled battery life and overclocked CPU, then eight player races on kai might become a reality without any drop in framerate 8D

eLhabib
22nd August 2005, 04:35 PM
now that would just be SWEET! as it is now, 4 players is the maximum for acceptable framerates :(

Sausehuhn
22nd August 2005, 05:00 PM
sooo, if somebody (hm... who could this be?) would say how we can activate (and deactivate!!) this feature I see no problem with a bigger Xlink-Race. If the the battery really says no (and I dont think this will be before your're playing 1 or 2 hours) it is still an alternative to play with the battery recharger - did this a few times and it won't destroy the fun or the handling of the PSP!!

Space Cowboy
22nd August 2005, 05:07 PM
The PSP is definitely meant to operate at this higher speed, its so obvious. Lets hope that Sony activate this feature with the next Firmware upgrade, because as it stands all us users with Firmware 2.0 cant use the 'dodgy' method. :(

eLhabib
22nd August 2005, 05:25 PM
IMPORTANT QUESTION: if you overclock the psp, does the game indeed run FASTER (means 1 second is not 1 second anymore) or just SMOOTHER. If it runs FASTER, multiplayer will be impossible.

Hellfire_WZ
22nd August 2005, 05:48 PM
It'd just be smoother

Space Cowboy
22nd August 2005, 06:02 PM
Essentially it makes the PSP run at the speed it was intended to run at (333Mhz). So you would have a consistent famerate of 50/60fps in Pure, (what it should be). It would not effect the timing of the game clock.

Drakkenmensch
22nd August 2005, 06:48 PM
The days of computer game running at a speed to match the processor's speed have gone away with the 486. Games now time themselves on the BIOS clock where 1 second is always 1 second regardless of CPU power.

(I found a free wireless place and typing all this is a mouthfull!)

Lance
22nd August 2005, 07:11 PM
since this is such a sensitive topic, i suggest that no one describe methods of doing this nor post links where such methods may be found. i am not at all sure that there is any harm in it other than voiding your warranties, but till we find out, please only discuss effects, not methods

Rouni Kenshin#1
22nd August 2005, 10:39 PM
ripping apart my psp to make an arleady extreamely smooth game run smoother?

A- i don't wan to lose my warrenty
B- pure dosent need it
and C- can't wait for the better battery

yawnstretch
22nd August 2005, 11:19 PM
I disagree with you about "B".

Also there's no ripping apart of anything.

Drakkenmensch
23rd August 2005, 02:41 AM
As soon as Sony releases new extended life batteries, they'll be able to unleash the FULL power of the PSP processor with an OFFICIAL OS update :)

And then the Wipers shall behold the gift from Sony, for it shall be Good.

Egg
23rd August 2005, 11:51 AM
Essentially it makes the PSP run at the speed it was intended to run at (333Mhz). So you would have a consistent famerate of 50/60fps in Pure, (what it should be). It would not effect the timing of the game clock.

AFAIK, Pure is designed to run at 30fps and will always run at 30fps regardless of the overclocking hack. The logic stuff might run a bit faster and any frame-outs might smooth themselves out, but the game won't magically run at double the framerate.

Space Cowboy
23rd August 2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, sorry I got the fps mixed up. :oops: Pure will run at its intened speed with little or no slowdown, was my original intention. Its possible to get 50/60fps on many other PSP games such as D2R, and even RR i think. :)

Sausehuhn
23rd August 2005, 01:30 PM
Yes, sounds logical that Sony will release a 333mhz-update when the new battery is released. But there are 2 things.

1. Is it still possible to run games with 222mhz to save the power of the battery? Theres no need to run games like "Ridge Racer" with 333mhz when they work with 222mhz pretty fine.
2. How much will the new battery cost? 50€ or what? that is a lot of money!

Purist
23rd August 2005, 01:38 PM
Besides it's only 1.5 users who can 'apply'...

I want a white one!!!!!!!

*proud owner of a brand spanking Californian psp now :D *

Space Cowboy
23rd August 2005, 01:41 PM
1. Is it still possible to run games with 222mhz to save the power of the battery? Theres no need to run games like "Ridge Racer" with 333mhz when they work with 222mhz pretty fine.

Yeah you can alter the speeds with a button combination, so you dont really have to play all games at 333mhz, and it will save your battery if need be.

Sausehuhn
23rd August 2005, 01:43 PM
you can alter the speeds with a button combination
so that's the answer how to run it with faster/lower speed? :D

*tiping different combinations on his PSP* :dizzy

Space Cowboy
23rd August 2005, 02:16 PM
hehe.. I wish it was that simple. Unfortunatley users of Firmware 2.0 cant use the speed unlock (that includes me) :(

InvaderF00
23rd August 2005, 03:17 PM
This is a pretty subjective argument, but what can't benefit from the extra 111 MHz provided. If anything, it provides a CONSISTENTLY high frame rate. As Pure currently stands, it's beautiful and smooth for the most part, but it does get noticeably choppy when there is a lot of action on screen (quake does this ALOT).

Overclocking does not improve the graphics, it just makes the rough spots a little smoother and the procedure does require a but of knowledge, but is relatively easy to do.

It does not involve any hardware modification but does involve running unlicensed software and unless your rip your own disc, some software piracy.

Currently I choose an extra hour of playing the game over having it play smooth 100%, but that could all change if I get my hands on the X2 battery ^_^

Sven
23rd August 2005, 03:23 PM
I don't know that it would help xlink play at all, as that's probably more about network traffic than clock speed. I've heard that 8 players works fine when doing actual WLAN, not on xlink.

Space Cowboy
23rd August 2005, 03:29 PM
Xlink gets choppy on Halo 2 and several other games too, its just the nature of the method.

Egg
23rd August 2005, 06:55 PM
I've heard that 8 players works fine when doing actual WLAN, not on xlink.

Yes, it's perfect. I remember being extremely surprised when I first played it on Wi-Fi, no lag at all 8)

Mobius
23rd August 2005, 07:22 PM
Its a shame that it isn't an infastructure game, i cant afford all the stuff you need for xLink.

I tell you what though, i think there shoudl be a time when Egg, Colin and the others at SL go online and race on it against the likes of eLhabib. And me...on day... just you wait! :)

Purist
23rd August 2005, 07:51 PM
2nd that, on-line play WOULD be awsome! 8)

Sven
23rd August 2005, 09:54 PM
Infrastructure would have been great. It would have made finding people to play with a lot easier.

Say, Egg, Colin, howsabout you fellas join us for a bit of xlink play, hmmm? :twisted:

eLhabib
23rd August 2005, 11:02 PM
OH YES PLEASE DO SO! I would love te see how I fare against you fellas!