PDA

View Full Version : pspupdates.com???

Purist
16th August 2005, 09:56 PM
I hope this thread is a popular as the last one! :lol:
Anyone know what happened to this site? have the console police shut it down? :?

Sumimasen
17th August 2005, 05:55 AM
It was down for most of yesterday, but came back last night. Still appears to be working, so may have just been a server related incident?

On a related note, I couldn't get on here most of yesterday either. :?

They're both all good now though... :D

Drakkenmensch
17th August 2005, 11:50 AM
Never assume a website has been killed just because you can't access it all of a sudden.

1) Give it a day or two. Might be a server glitch that cures itself.

2) Try to use a web proxy redirector to avoid using your usual DNS server. Could be that it hasn't updated an IP change and others have, so you're effectively locked out for a few days (or weeks, or months...) I usually try through www.the-cloak.com to verify this possibility.

3) Maybe you've had some internet browsing damage due to spywares. It happens to the best of us. Ask around if others can access it or not. You might be surprised.

I was utterly unable to access www.nuklearpower.com for over SIX MONTHS from my home computer a few years ago! Blame it on faulty DNS entries from my provider.

xEik
17th August 2005, 11:57 AM
Maybe you've had some internet browsing damage due to spywares. It happens to the best of us
/me waits for Lance to say that using browsers with a user base of 1% or less freeds you from 99% or more of the spyware you can get while browsing the internet.

Lance
17th August 2005, 11:58 AM
yesterday, though, the DNS lookup worked here on the WZ, but the page would hang during loading without showing any content, or about 50 percent of the time, one would get the message, apparently from the WZ server, that the database could not be accessed. only twice during the day did it work normally for me. was this similar to the reaction of the, *cof*, other site mentioned in this thread?

[edit: just saw xEik's post after mine posted: more like 100 percent. especially if one uses the Proxomitron to filter out javascript banners. i've had virtually no adware or spyware in the last three or four years. with one exception: the United Online internet service providers, Juno and NetZero, add a search bar to Internet Explorer, which i don't use, so it would have no effect even if i didn't remove it with AdAware or Spybot.]

Drakkenmensch
17th August 2005, 12:04 PM
I've seen cases where a webpage puts so much importance on its ad banners that the page itself refuses to load if the ads aren't done loading, so if the link to the ad fails outright, well...

Also consider that sometimes, SOMETIMES, the webpage's server got up in fire. Litterally. Keenspace is infamous for its equipments spontaneously combusting, throwing the entire off the web for weeks on end.

xEik
17th August 2005, 12:12 PM
But engineers really dislike saying things like 100% :P

99.99% is OK but 100% is being a bit too certain as far as we are concerned. :mrgreen:

I'm way offtopic, though. :oops: